Awoo.

Game Grumps

Soniman

On the other hand, I recall Ego did an AMA on Reddit around the airing of The Tester 3 where he voiced disinterest in the concept of doing a Sonic Sequelitis on account of never liking the formula of the series and assuming that it went from something that didn't work to begin with to something worse. It's kind of like a reverse of AVGN who said he had never played a bad Sonic game despite him saying that because he doesn't play modern games generally.

Pretty sure that's Jon's general stance on Sonic as well, despite liking Colours and Generations.

"Sonic 1 is fun but the speed was annoying"

Sonic 1 had speed? But my recollection is was a lot more platform focus and had some few speed sections, but in general Sonic 1 is pretty slow.

Wow, I'm going to feel like I got to criticize them for their opinions since both of them just admitted they don't even like Sonic (as in not strictly 06 just in general), wow I'm butthurt, lol.

I personally don't care if they don't like the series in general, as long they keep on entertaining. In fact, I find it quite interesting that they feel that the original formula itself was terrible from the start (speaking as someone who got tired of the formula and thus isn't so keen on the original trilo-quadrilogy as a whole).

I can only sort of understand where they're coming from because of how the formula never really evolved that much. There were roughly five (great) games that consisted of the Sonic everyone knows and loves until the 3D era hit and it really got messy. It's sort of interesting to see it from their point of view though and I can appreciate that they understand that the games were of system seller quality and why 06 is such a disservice. I'm surprised Ego actually likes Generations though.

Either way their opinions on the games probably won't deter the quality unless it goes NSMB Wii levels where there is so little to talk about that it rehashes itself. In the scenario of comedy and discussion there is so much more to get from an outright bad game with failed ambitions over a generic dull game.

Poor Jon is having a haemorrhage over the thought and determination to complete Sonic 06.

I don't blame him.

That was surprisingly fair. I was expecting a lot more bashing of Sonic in general after they admitted they weren't fond of the franchise, but they still thought Sonic Generations was a lot of fun and an amazing comeback after the bottom-of-the-barrel quality of 06.

Someone needs to send them SONIC SHUFFLE.

"HAHAHAHAHA, LOOK WHO'S ON TOP NOW, ARI-ACCIDENT?! WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

YES.

That was surprisingly fair. I was expecting a lot more bashing of Sonic in general after they admitted they weren't fond of the franchise, but they still thought Sonic Generations was a lot of fun and an amazing comeback after the bottom-of-the-barrel quality of 06.

I agree. It's nice to see a web show that tries to squeeze humor out of 06 without resorting to the same tired Sonic series and fanbase bashing.

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 3

No offense, but as bad as '06 is, I feel like they lack common sense; it certainly didn't take me 20 minutes to get to Wave Ocean. They start freaking out really bad because there isn't a GIANT fucking arrow pointing to everywhere they need to go.

Not-so-secret origins are revealed in Mario Land 2 Part 2.

Edited by CC14 the Vipester
  • Thumbs Up 1

As per usual on this forum, It's all fun and games until someone says something bad about Sonic. I have a feeling Ego doesn't play old Sonic games the "right" way (tries to spin dash all the time, perhaps?), but whatever.

There's no way in Hell they'll ever manage to get through Sonic '06. Jon couldn't even get through The Great Cave Offensive, which was just a section of a really good game. And there wasn't even anything wrong with it, he just didn't like it as much as the other games in Super Star. Compared to that, a genuinely bad game like Sonic '06 is just gonna straight up murder him.

They probably won't finish Sonic's story. I doubt they'll even finish Wave Ocean before quitting on it, and even if they do, the save system will cause them to lose their progress and they won't be willing to do any of it again.

And I will not blame them.

With great cave offensive it seems as though they were under the mistaken belief that they had to collect all the treasure and there was one they just couldn't get to. Also I think they got lost.

If the grump quota is enough to satisfy their audience I probably wouldn't see them stopping for the sake of entertainment. Games such as NSMB Wii and Castlevania 3 only grew tedious overtime and it became less earnest grumpage and more arduous grumpage, but if the infamous Pokecapn playthrough managed to be gold all the way through I can see this being the same. Hopefully.

It's probably going to be their longest series ever if they go through with it (padding be damned) and I hope they extend the running time for the parts.

Jon has taken jabs in the past against Unleashed so I can't see them liking it, but he's been incredibly positive about Colors and Generations. I'm pretty sure he said in one of the Banjo-Kazooie episode that they should do Generations so he seems like a supportive fan.

On the other hand, I recall Ego did an AMA on Reddit around the airing of The Tester 3 where he voiced disinterest in the concept of doing a Sonic Sequelitis on account of never liking the formula of the series and assuming that it went from something that didn't work to begin with to something worse. It's kind of like a reverse of AVGN who said he had never played a bad Sonic game despite him saying that because he doesn't play modern games generally.

Ego in general has a bit of an interesting (read; different) view on game design. He's well versed in the way of articulating his opinions but a lot of his basis easily tend up being somewhat out there. He did two posts a day ago on Tumblr of all places defending his opinion on the distracting subtitle subject brought up in the 06 video. I don't know how controversial that ended up being but he was really defensive and descriptive about that opinion more than I'd expect someone to be about such an issue.

Assuming they beat the game in the same amount of time as it took Pokecapmn, we're looking at 120 episodes.

Subtitles in the language you're already listening to is pretty dumb, unless you're deaf. Hey, let's put some words on the screen for no reason, why not?

I can only sort of understand where they're coming from because of how the formula never really evolved that much. There were roughly five (great) games that consisted of the Sonic everyone knows and loves until the 3D era hit and it really got messy. It's sort of interesting to see it from their point of view though and I can appreciate that they understand that the games were of system seller quality and why 06 is such a disservice. I'm surprised Ego actually likes Generations though.

Either way their opinions on the games probably won't deter the quality unless it goes NSMB Wii levels where there is so little to talk about that it rehashes itself. In the scenario of comedy and discussion there is so much more to get from an outright bad game with failed ambitions over a generic dull game.

I think with NSMB Wii that game has so little personality that it basically devolved into them trying to keep some kind of line of conversation going while just playing the game.

If you think 06 loads a lot, you haven't seen anything yet.

No offense, but as bad as '06 is, I feel like they lack common sense; it certainly didn't take me 20 minutes to get to Wave Ocean. They start freaking out really bad because there isn't a GIANT fucking arrow pointing to everywhere they need to go.

No? I don't think this statement is accurate at all. What they did was completely reasonable.

YES! Oh man that game cheated me way harder than Mario Party ever did back in the day. Plus more Jontron salt is always a good thing.

No what they did is understandable, I pray for them when they get to the part where they have to wait for the fucking gaurds to move or something.

Saw parts one and two of there 06 play through..... Why are they tormenting themselves huh.png, just like Clement they are setting themselves up for tons of unnecessary frustration.

I honesty respect their stance on the sonic series itself; they don't like it but they respect it for its accomplishments and recent uprising via Colors and Generations. Rare you find reviewers not using the "Sonic sucks" stigma and honistly putting the games flaws into perspective

Edited by RK64

Considering the game doesn't give them ANY direction at all, I can't really blame them. It's not they need a giant arrow, it's that they had to first locate the entrance, realize the light speed dash wasn't already unlocked, figure out to buy the shoes at the store that requires rings, and then learn they have to complete side missions to get said rings. Each one sounds simple when taken on its own, but the game expects you to put it all together with nothing to point you save civilian comments. Given that this is a Sonic game, I think not realizing they are important can be forgiven. Even if you're used to them from SA1, civilians were almost never useful there so there's no reason to immediately think they would be here, either. It's bad game design, plain and simple.

When I played it, I had the benefit of having watched a couple of LP's, so thankfully I knew what to do already. If I hadn't, I probably would have had a similar experience.

Edited by Speederino

Considering the game doesn't give them ANY direction at all, I can't really blame them. It's not they need a giant arrow, it's that they had to first locate the entrance, realize the light speed dash wasn't already unlocked, figure out to buy the shoes at the store that requires rings, and then learn they have to complete side missions to get said rings. Each one sounds simple when taken on its own, but the game expects you to put it all together with nothing to point you save civilian comments. Given that this is a Sonic game, I think not realizing they are important can be forgiven. Even if you're used to them from SA1, civilians were almost never useful there so there's no reason to immediately think they would be here, either. It's bad game design, plain and simple.

When I played it, I had the benefit of having watched a couple of LP's, so thankfully I knew what to do already. If I hadn't, I probably would have had a similar experience.

Well, the civilians lead you to Tails, which is easy enough, and there are also the hint bubbles which are located in key areas. The second one close to the beach tells you that you don't have the Lightspeed dash so to go to the store; and the third one is located right next to the store in the very large plaza surrounded by buildings, so the direction isn't that hard to follow. And Alberto Robert is located right next to the store with the first blue exclamation point, and he doesn't show up until after you discover you need the lightspeed dash, so the game is clear enough in that regard.

Even Pokecapn understood this on his first try.

It's just Jon and Arin being themselves and getting caught up in their shenanigans to the point where they lose track, and they do this with every game.

He really just lucked into it.

The NPC with blue on his head was right next to the store, he noticed this and talked to him because he was different, which was the point of the design. Even if you don't know what the blue means exactly, which he didn't, he knew it was for a reason.

Reminds me of Pokecapn's inability to realise that Green Wisps let you use Light Speed Dash in Sonic Colors. Some things aren't always obvious, and let's be fair: Games have trained us over the years to assume that hint bubbles contain nothing but incredibly obvious pointers designed to insult your intelligence

(I'M LOOKING AT YOU, OMOCHAO! "Keep your health above zero", YA THINK!?).

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shoes happen with more Kirby.

*wanders into topic*

HEY GUYS THERE'S A NEW GA-

GOD DAMNIT I WASN'T FAST ENOUGH

Sink Grumps.

Edited by CC14 the Vipester
  • Thumbs Up 2

Agh, these go by too quick! If they are seriously planning on finishing this game, then they'd probably have to release at least 2 episodes a day to match the insanity that they will face on the next episode. Of course, I found myself infinitely amused by Arin's attempt to jump from plank to plank.

Edited by VisionaryBlur