Awoo.

Game Grumps

Soniman

I was wondering why I didn't hear any girls talking in the video. I just realized that the person on the right with long hair is a guy.

Wow. D=

• Thumbs Up 4

Jon's idea of playing Animal Crossing:

FUCK YES!

That game is perfect for this. They could just ditz around and do whatever shenanigans they feel like. And it wouldn't even have to end! They could just make it an ongoing game that they revisit from time to time.

• Thumbs Up 2

... My god, how does he do that. * w*

talk while inhaling

Well, that's how he does the waddle doo voice, there must be something else to the robot voice

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am getting hopelessly addicted to Game Grumps. It's getting to the point where I spend my afternoon refreshing Youtube in the hopes of a new episode. These two are just so damn funny.

Also, I'm beginning to notice a pattern here. They play Pokemon Emerald, I decide to play Pokemon HeartGold. They play Mega Man 7, I try out Mega Man 1. They play Banjo-Kazooie, I have a sudden hankering to play Banjo-Kazooie. They merely mention Animal Crossing, I start playing Animal Crossing. I think they have mind control powers or something.

Edited by Speederino

Poppy Brothers jr~.... Poppy Brothers seNIOR~

seriously though, I love the series. Sometimes, certain episodes are hit or miss with me but I still enjoy them. One of my favorite episodes by far was the first Kirby one and the other Kirby one with Metaknight. The way Egoraptor or Jontron (i forget who was doing the voice) read Metaknights lines was hilarious XD

Egoraptor has gone and animated a scene from one of the game grumps episodes. The hilarious commentary combined with Ego's hilarious facial expressions makes for platinum!

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't think I'll ever get over Seven Asses. Everytime I hear it I just laugh hysterically. Maybe's it's my teenage immaturity still lingering around.

Gotta love how Ego and Jon are echoing my exact feelings ive had for the Mario series in recent years.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 6

Gotta love how Ego and Jon are echoing my exact feelings ive had for the Mario series in recent years.

Same here. I love older games like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, but these new 2D Mario games are just bland and uninspired. I feel like I'm just playing the original SMB with Yoshi.

You know what, you guys can say what you will about Sonic 4, but I think Nintendo should take a few notes. Because like NSMBWii, Ep 1 recycles old level themes...but it still adds new things. Vine swinging, pulleys, cards, canons that you manually aim, running on boulders, the minecart, the torch puzzles, running on gears, the homing attack; the game can claim to have things that its predeccessors don't. It's a perfect example of taking old concepts and spinning them into something new, something Nintendo is usually quite good at. But with the NSMB series, they aren't even trying. It's laziness incarnate.

Same here. I love older games like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, but these new 2D Mario games are just bland and uninspired. I feel like I'm just playing the original SMB with Yoshi.

You know what, you guys can say what you will about Sonic 4, but I think Nintendo should take a few notes. Because like NSMBWii, Ep 1 recycles old level themes...but it still adds new things. Vine swinging, pulleys, cards, canons that you manually aim, running on boulders, the minecart, the torch puzzles, running on gears, the homing attack; the game can claim to have things that its predeccessors don't. It's a perfect example of taking old concepts and spinning them into something new, something Nintendo is usually quite good at. But with the NSMB series, they aren't even trying. It's laziness incarnate.

They both need to be better, to be frank.

I am really surprised at the amount of fan-generated content this has produced. I stumbled across this gem earlier:

This New Super Mario Bros Wii LP is quickly turning into a bore. For 30 minutes straight, they've pretty much done nothing but rehash the same complaints over and over about this game, and having very little actual fun. Its not that I don't agree with a lot of what they say, but its really starting to reek of slight rose tinted nostalgia and unfair comparisons to past Mario games. It's especially obvious when they constantly state how the game is to forgiving/for babies, completely ignoring the fact that the game was built around 4 players and its the first damn level.

And on a personal note, that Skyward Sword thrashing at the end kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe because im not really understanding the "offensive piece of shit" statement being tossed around, being a fan of the game and all.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 2

And on a personal note, that Skyward Sword thrashing at the end kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe hecause im not really understanding the "offensive piece of shit" statement being tossed around, being a fan of the game and all.

Considering Ego's a fan of Classic Zelda, I can see where he's coming from (Skyward Sword's personally my favorite, though), as it's a very different type of game from Link to the Past. Ocarina of Time also had more emphasis on exploration (and it's nostalgic for Jon, obviously), so the very dungeon-y feel of Skyward Sword probably bothered the both of them.

They're kind of overdoing it with "offensive piece of shit" though, yeah.

In regards to the NSMB stuff, I'm actually quite enjoying it. It's nice to hear someone actually put down a Mario game for a change. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

I just wished they would find new things to criticize, they have been pretty much stating the same complaints over and over for the most part.

The talk about Skyward Sword bothered me. I wonder if Egoraptor and Jon Tron understand the differences between the cultures and how they influence it, 'cause I don't feel someone who understood that would immediately say that SS is a, "offensive piece of shit".

I would just love to hear their full thoughts on Skyward Sword and why it's so offensive.

Besides that I gave a bunch of their videos a watch before that and I didn't laugh or smirk.

Edited by Jetronic

One thing I will say about Dude that chick's the Sword: Link looks really dumb in that game even if you take the time to put the sword away. He just looks too tall for his animations. I think it has something to do with there being no turning animation. Plus it seems that stabbing barely works if you don't have the ideal controller... And then the motion control doesn't even really let you do anything you couldn't apart from maybe diagonal slashes which shouldn't be that hard to implement, except wait the game barely ever used them.

Edited by Phos

The talk about Skyward Sword bothered me. I wonder if Egoraptor and Jon Tron understand the differences between the cultures and how they influence it, 'cause I don't feel someone who understood that would immediately say that SS is a, "offensive piece of shit".

I think you still could. When a game is clearly favoring one market/culture more than the other, then it shouldn't be surprising that people from the latter really might not like it. I mean I was ready to say pretty much the same thing during Skyward Sword's second act, but then it got better for me.

I think the whole "offensive piece of shit" thing was going rather far, especially when not even explaining why you think so. I could understand if you don't like how it basically changed the progression, and made it sort of Metroid feeling, and item crafting that you find in most RPGs but, that still wouldn't make it an offensive piece of shit. I can't help but feel it's just some kind of nostalgia induced rage. I mean, it's not like it's Nuts & Bolts. Which I wouldn't even consider calling an offensive piece of shit because, it was decent for what it was.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

This is an unscripted show that's really just two best friends goofing around. I'd like to think if they weren't focused on playing the actual game they'd have a lot more compelling arguments to present and this goes for both Ego and Jon in most of their videos. Jon succumbed to a lot of gushing when it came to Banjo-Kazooie which is obvious what with it being his favorite game, but I'd imagine Ego would be doing the same if they'd be playing Mega Man X. Ego already displayed some of his worse traits in the Link To The Past videos though where he kept projecting his "theming" argument to the Master Sword to discredit Ocarina of Time's impact.

It's easy to exaggerate opinions when you're just doing shit on the fly and are having fun. This is of course setting aside the fact that I agree with most of Jon's criticisms on Mario. I'll be honest and say that I really love their NSMB Wii series right now since I love hearing them talk about the games on the fly. It reminds me of when I was trying to make LPs with Dissident.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't know, I would find their NSMB Wii series more enteraining if they didn't spend 30 minutes repeating that the game was soulless and a baby game. For that matter, I don't think "soul" is exactly a good term to use when judging something but, that's just me. It's not like you can honestly tell whether the developers put their heart into the game or not.

When a majority of the assets are touched up rehashes of it's predecessor with the only new feature being something that was promised in the last game, along with the two last co-op characters being clone copies because "we were too lazy to program Peach's dress", it's easy to tell how little heart was put into development, especially when Nintendo are the company that can make 2D platformers in their sleep.

As I said this is a non-scripted segment of two guys talking about whatever's on their mind in some concise impressions and them talking about how other games reflect some company mentalities reaches back to what they're currently playing, i.e at one point they bring up the part about the game being soulless and bland, and then they bring that argument back up because they just went into a room that's like "oh hey have a shit ton of powerups because those are disposable and not very cleverly awarded". All of this while talking about other games such as Zelda, Yoshi's Island, Luigi's Mansion (which they talk about playing for the show), Braid, Mega Man and movies. The whole "spending 30 minutes repeating it's a soulless baby game" is hyperbole. I'm not feeling anything out of the ordinary here apart from the episodes not being very memetic and more discussion, which I'm fine with.

The only way I can see this being a problem is if you actually liked the game, and so many insinuations pulled out of the ass such as "Jon is too obsessed with nostalgia and doesn't like new games" is an oxymoron since Galaxy 1 and 2 are his favorite 3D platformers, and the fact that he found 3D Land being fun despite it's ease and "soulless" nature (something I only partially agree with as it's one of my favorite Mario games). Frankly it feels kind of good for Mario to be ripped on for once since the New Super Mario Bros. series deserves all the scrutiny it can get.

That and it finally gives Game Grumps a reason to be grumpy.

• Thumbs Up 7

That's all well and good, but their latest videos have been incredibly boring. It'd be nice if they did something about that.