Awoo.

Game Grumps

Soniman

For that matter, I don't think "soul" is exactly a good term to use when judging something but, that's just me. It's not like you can honestly tell whether the developers put their heart into the game or not.

Kind of tempted to just put "What Carbo said" but yes you can. You totally can. Nintendo is pumping NSMB out annually and they're being blatantly lazy about it. You can tell just by looking at the levels. Each game is just the same basic generic worlds churned out over and over, i.e fire world, ice world, tropical world, jungle world, etc. I mean really, it's not hard to come up with something different. How about a world made of ice cream? A world that takes place entirely in a giant pirate ship? How about a city, we've yet to see THAT in a 2D Mario platformer! These ideas aren't very good, but they're still more creative then 'desert world fourth edition' and it took me all of five seconds. There's no reason Nintendo of all companies couldn't have come up with something better by now, save that they would actually have to draw new backgrounds and come up with new level gimmicks.

And the design is ridiculously simplistic. There's no real challenge to be found in these games and things like lives and power ups are handed out like candy, and don't even get me started on the boss battles! More importantly (to me), there's no creative spark here. There aren't any levels that stick out or sections that were cleverly executed. NSMBWii is as generic a Mario game as you could possibly make, and the sequels are hardly doing anything to differentiate themselves. I mean come on, SMB3 and SMW show more creativity than this, and those were released over 20 years ago!

And then of course we have the two Toad characters. I'm no programmer but how hard is it to insert Wario or Peac- oh wait if they used Peach they would have to come up with a new plot to put in the instruction manual, which would require effort. Alright, how about Waluigi? Donkey King? Baby Mario even, just someone besides yellow fucking Toad.

A lot of the things I've suggested have been simple cosmetic changes, things Nintendo could do in, like, a day. So why haven't they? Simple: if they genuinely cared about making these games, about giving NSMB its own unique flavor, then they would. But they don't. Every time they release a NSMB game, Nintendo receives an entire planet made out of cash, regardless of whether or not it's exactly the same as the last one. So why bother?

That said I liked 3D Land a whole lot better. It's not groundbreaking, but I have way more fun with it than NSMBWii.

Maybe I should just say that the Pokemon Emerald videos did have a discussion on how the game is essentially the same thing every time, and the inherent issues with the series, and the good parts, just like with the NSMB Wii ones. Except it didn't come off as boring since they weren't throwing around pretentious words like "soulless".

That and Egoraptor made great points in defense of the series. It actually felt like genuine discussion and not just spending the entire episode agreeing with each other for 30 minutes.

Except it didn't come off as boring since they weren't throwing around pretentious words like "soulless".

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I really fail to see how that's pretentious.

Edited by Blonic

I don't find it to be a word you would use to describe anything unless you want to make your critique sound more intelligent. I think they were coming off more as Game Hipsters rather than Game Grumps.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm about 10 minutes into the Brawl video.

JonTron singing Nightwish. My favorite internet celebrity meets my favorite band. FDFFDJSKLFJDKOWEKNMLCJIZZZZZZZZ

Just adding something since another part of NSMB Wii is up. I like how they still call it easy and a baby game, yet Jon dies constantly and they don't understand how to control the swinging fences.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's kinda annoying. They just seem like the really dont even want to have fun with the game.

It's kinda annoying. They just seem like the really dont even want to have fun with the game.

Game Grumps

*runs

• Thumbs Up 6

Just adding something since another part of NSMB Wii is up. I like how they still call it easy and a baby game, yet Jon dies constantly and they don't understand how to control the swinging fences.

To be fair, they don't really ever seem to concentrate unless they absolutely have to, like at the end of Goof Troop. But still, I see what you mean here. It kind of annoys me with Pokemon Emerald. Pokemon isn't much fun to watch when the player is a pro, let alone two guys who are barely paying attention to it. Ah well, Game Grumps is more commentary and banter than legit LP's.

That and the game is such a monumental piece of design bullshit in co-op.

Agreed. Maybe it's because I've had to play NSMBWii with my nephew on a constant basis, but God the co-op could have been executed so much better.

When playing Kirby they talk about the health sharing mechanic as a kiss when it seems much more likely to me that one character is vomiting in the other's mouth like a bird feeding her chicks.

Not like they're the first to call it a kiss though (specifically talking about the Runaway Guys LP of Kirby's Return to Dreamland).

Currently on a mobile so I can't link it, but a new part of New Super Mario Bros Wii is out.

Basically, its more of the same what we heard before....whoopee.

The one part that baffled me is when Jon lambasts the game becaused it used a recurring enemy that was in Mario, right after he complained how there was little enemy variety beforehand.

It may sound like I'm critical but thats because they simply aren't articulating their thoughts well at all, all they doje is constantly compare it to Mario 3 and use the word "souless" as some abstract buzzword that doesnt explain anything well. This just isnt entertaining or insightful, sure they're grumpy, but it really isnt fun to see in this case.

Either way, thats the last time ill complain about their very meh NSMBWii playthrough.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think I may be done with the SMBWii Let's play, it's obvious they don't enjoy it, but there's no material for them to work with because of how dull the game is. If they were playing Rayman, they could go nuts.

I think it's time to not bother watching it. I mean, Egoraptor lambasted the game for being able to slide down hills, saying it was just copying Mario 3, which was a moved that was added in Mario 3 and remained in the series since.

Okay, the entirety of that Jeopardy video was just gold. I especially love how the game cheated them out of that Disney question. laugh.png