Awoo.

Teen Titans Go! (New 2013 Animated Series)

Johnny Boy

Hilariously enough, if we're going by the comics, a show like this would have been more fitting for Young Justice (a book that wasn't afraid to be silly, which was kind of a big deal in the 90s) than the Titans.

The problem isn't that it's different, the problem is degradation of the characters.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was an entirely new series with new characters. Go is about as fitting to Teen Titans as putting NCIS characters in Chowder.

...That sounds fucking hilarious though...

• Thumbs Up 6

If you think of it as a continuation of the original series, then its fucking awful and a bastardization of what came before.

If you think of it as just another comedy show that's been regular on CN's roster for years, then its perfectly fine.

In other words, opinions yo. How do they work. If you liked the original series and this isn't your cup of tea, fine but I feel like the hate this show gets is starting to take away from the people who genuinely enjoy it.

Like hell, I'm a fan of the original series and wished for it to come back and even I don't hate this show that much. It does actually have a lot of good moments with how it focuses the comedy.

I'll admit that there are a few episodes I do like. The episode between Cyborg and Jynx was alright, mainly because for once they got the romance down while making a fairly decent reference to the original (In the original, there's a episode where Cyborg goes undercover into the Hive Five and gets a crush on Jynx). While personally, JynxXKid Flash was one of my favourite shippings of the original show, I can at least respect Go for keeping some kind of continuity on this episode. For example, in the real boy episode, there's a part where Cyborg is hurting the Hive Five, Jynx included only for Cyborg to say ''Sorry babe''.

The episodes involving Robin doing something for Batman were alright as well, I do like some of the jokes in the Batcave episode, especially when Starfire dresses as Batgirl leading Robin to go from mouth drooling and terrified that Batman will find out. Then there's the always classic "EMERGENCY! GET IN THE CAR, WE GOTTA GO NOW''.

Overall, there is some good episodes but I just think the humor for the most part is lazy and just not that well done.

I'll give them credit though. I do like both TT Theme Song remixes.

Their latest album was released in 2011, so yeah, they're still pretty active.  They don't have the same popularity as they did in the early 2000's, though.  Pretty much all of that popularity was gained from Teen Titans though, so that's not saying much.

...What the fuck were they thinking?

By implying they were thinking this one through in the first place, I feel you may giving them too much credit.

That said, I must admit that the show does have its smart moments here and there. I haven't been following it lately though. Have there been any vast improvements lately?

• Thumbs Up 1

By implying they were thinking this one through in the first place, I feel you may giving them too much credit.

That said, I must admit that the show does have its smart moments here and there. I haven't been following it lately though. Have there been any vast improvements lately?

It's more or less the same as when it started. I think this month was full of nothing but great episodes but someone who dislikes the show (especially if they're a hardcore an of the 2003 series) would probably hate them. The show isn't trying to cater to those who don't like it, it's trying to cater to its' current audience. 

The show itself can have some great moments here and there.  Some are even downright clever considering what they are working with.  There are some great jokes and good story elements involved.  It's just that I find the characters to be so unlikeable and annoying I can't bring myself to like the show.  Characters always come first in my mind, and this show doesn't deliver on that.

That and whenever I watch this show I feel like I'm watching "Family Guy for kids", which is not a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So I have a curious question, I was watching an episode recently and while it was okay, there's something that happens in the show on occasions, which is usually sexually related somehow. The two examples that come to mind are pointing out robin's and kid flash glutes, and raven's legs in one episode (forgot which). This wouldn't really bug me in another show, but knowing this shows audience........ I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'm wondering what you guys think of them.

So I have a curious question, I was watching an episode recently and while it was okay, there's something that happens in the show on occasions, which is usually sexually related somehow. The two examples that come to mind are pointing out robin's and kid flash glutes, and raven's legs in one episode (forgot which). This wouldn't really bug me in another show, but knowing this shows audience........ I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'm wondering what you guys think of them.

Always thought the Raven's leg episode was a little annoying, personally.  It's a whole episode of Beast Boy essentially being a creeper.  It's no different than the "Hello Nurse" parts of Animaniacs, but those are kind of annoying and creepy too, imo.

I mean, it's mostly harmless.  But it's still probably the more annoying aspect of the series.  Like, people mention the waffles episode as the infamously bad one, but I personally find that one infinitely more humorous than the episode about Raven's legs.

You know. After thinking about it, and looking at the original series. I've concluded the major reason why I dislike Go so much.

Reason 1. The characters.

One of the original show's biggest strengths was it's characters because they were honestly some of the best written characters I've seen on TV. With so much character development, humor, fun, seriousness and more packed in to them. They weren't written like wacky comic characters. They were written as real people. Real people who could have fun but went through pain, have had serious moments, and has a range of emotions. The relationships between these characters felt real. That's the reason why three of my favourite pairings (RobinXStarfire, BBXTerra, and Kid FlashXJynx) are directly from this show. The fucking relationships were just so well written. The friendships between characters like Beast Boy and Cyborg were good. The team actually cared about each other. There's nothing else I can say other than it was just so fucking good.

Then we got Go. To start. Just look at my profile picture and Username. ''Nightwing''. There's a reason I chose that. Because Robin is my favourite comic character. More specifically, Dick Grayson Robin, the Robin featured in Teen Titans. The biggest reason why he's my favourite is all thanks to his Teen Titans TV version. Then you see Teen Titans Go. Where he and every other fucking character has been flanderized beyond belief. 

Robin isn't a hero anymore. He's a fucking asshole who only cares about looking cool, and being number 1. Let's take a random example. Teen Titans Go teaches us that Robin is a greedy asshole who believes money should only be kept to himself and when that money increases, to keep that to himself and so on and so forth. Then there's the episode where he reveals that the Titans only spent about 5% actually doing crime fighting and the other 95% doing random stupid activities. Then there's the fact that this ''master detective'' taught by Batman himself, is a egotistical idiot who can't see the most easy things right in front of him. That's not to mention how immature he is, somehow going between loving Starfire to being scared of fucking kooties of all things.

Starfire used to be a alien who had a great heart but found herself being mocked by others all because she was from a different world and didn't understand Earth standards, yet she was still the one character who cared the most about her friends and the world. She was eager to fit in. Then Go happened. Turning her into a lazy idiot who never shows that compassion anymore. She blows holes into walls because she can't be bothered to use a door, she (along with the other titans) make so many references to the fact they don't need or even want Robin leading the team, that's not to even mention the fact that half of her jokes is falling in love with Robin's replacement of the week, let it be Bizarro Robin or Kid Flash.

Raven used to be one of the most sympathetic characters in the original show. She felt she didn't belong with her friends and due to her father Trigon, she always felt like an outcast who would someday bring the destruction of the world and her friends. In the new series? All that's explained as ''IT'S JUST HER CLOAK! SHE'S ACTUALLY VERY HAPPY :D) Trigon is turned into a parody of one of those 50s dads, who just wants to be with Raven, and as soon as Raven is out of her cloak, she walks around town in pure gold using her legs as a crimefighter (As Tara mentioned above). Basically, all backstory and explanation of why she was who she was is completely thrown out for a stupid joke. That's not even mentioning half of the other crap she does, such as turning her friends into old people and allowing them to die just so she can have a few hours of ''OH, OLD PEOPLE ARE CUTE :D''

But Beast Boy and Cyborg. THEY ARE THE FUCKING WORST.

Beast Boy used to have so much depth to him. Yes, he was the goofball of the original team but he still had values, he still cared about his friends, and he still had character development and depth. He didn't eat any type of meat because in his own words ''He's been most of those animals''. He used to care about his friends, which he quite frankly doesn't anymore, and there had been several episodes where Beast Boy stepped up out of his goofball attitude. You might remember an episode of Go where Beast Boy turned into a gorilla and acted like an immature prick, somehow gaining the leader position of the Teen Titans. How did the original series do it? All the Teen Titans across the world are captured by the villains and turned into statures. Beast Boy and a handful of the lesser known Teen Titans are all that remain and he steps up to lead them, taking some stuff from Robin.

That's not the mention the fact that Go!Beast Boy ruined his friends' happy futures just to dodge responsibility, despite Robin being happily married to BatGirl and having a family, Raven having saved the planet, and Starfire being queen of her own planet. But nope, Beast Boy just gives them the middle finger by changing history so that their miserable old people.

Cyborg is the fucking worst of them all. He used to be the big brother of the group. He could be goofy, but he was serious as well, he had actual feelings to him, he used to look out for all the titans. One of the best examples being the episode where Starfire is more or less called scum by an alien who lands on Earth and Cyborg has a heartfelt talk with her about how he feels being half robot. It's a fucking beautiful moment in the original series. But in Teen Titans Go? He might as well be named Beast Boy 2,0: Now with more stupidity and selfishness. 

But the worst thing about Go? There was a reason I mentioned all the relationships and friendships at the beginning. All of the Titans used to really care about each other. They looked out for one another, they helped each other, and would stop at no lengths to help each other. Now? They can't even be considered friends. They kick one another out of the Titans for the stupidest reasons, and in fact, they've kicked Robin out at least three times now just to give him the middle finger and say ''we don't want you back, we like our new leader much better''. I can't say these titans care about each other because they simply don't. 

• Thumbs Up 4

You know. After thinking about it, and looking at the original series. I've concluded the major reason why I dislike Go so much.

Reason 1. The characters.

One of the original show's biggest strengths was it's characters because they were honestly some of the best written characters I've seen on TV. With so much character development, humor, fun, seriousness and more packed in to them. They weren't written like wacky comic characters. They were written as real people. Real people who could have fun but went through pain, have had serious moments, and has a range of emotions. The relationships between these characters felt real. That's the reason why three of my favourite pairings (RobinXStarfire, BBXTerra, and Kid FlashXJynx) are directly from this show. The fucking relationships were just so well written. The friendships between characters like Beast Boy and Cyborg were good. The team actually cared about each other. There's nothing else I can say other than it was just so fucking good.

Then we got Go. To start. Just look at my profile picture and Username. ''Nightwing''. There's a reason I chose that. Because Robin is my favourite comic character. More specifically, Dick Grayson Robin, the Robin featured in Teen Titans. The biggest reason why he's my favourite is all thanks to his Teen Titans TV version. Then you see Teen Titans Go. Where he and every other fucking character has been flanderized beyond belief. 

Robin isn't a hero anymore. He's a fucking asshole who only cares about looking cool, and being number 1. Let's take a random example. Teen Titans Go teaches us that Robin is a greedy asshole who believes money should only be kept to himself and when that money increases, to keep that to himself and so on and so forth. Then there's the episode where he reveals that the Titans only spent about 5% actually doing crime fighting and the other 95% doing random stupid activities. Then there's the fact that this ''master detective'' taught by Batman himself, is a egotistical idiot who can't see the most easy things right in front of him. That's not to mention how immature he is, somehow going between loving Starfire to being scared of fucking kooties of all things.

Starfire used to be a alien who had a great heart but found herself being mocked by others all because she was from a different world and didn't understand Earth standards, yet she was still the one character who cared the most about her friends and the world. She was eager to fit in. Then Go happened. Turning her into a lazy idiot who never shows that compassion anymore. She blows holes into walls because she can't be bothered to use a door, she (along with the other titans) make so many references to the fact they don't need or even want Robin leading the team, that's not to even mention the fact that half of her jokes is falling in love with Robin's replacement of the week, let it be Bizarro Robin or Kid Flash.

Raven used to be one of the most sympathetic characters in the original show. She felt she didn't belong with her friends and due to her father Trigon, she always felt like an outcast who would someday bring the destruction of the world and her friends. In the new series? All that's explained as ''IT'S JUST HER CLOAK! SHE'S ACTUALLY VERY HAPPY :D) Trigon is turned into a parody of one of those 50s dads, who just wants to be with Raven, and as soon as Raven is out of her cloak, she walks around town in pure gold using her legs as a crimefighter (As Tara mentioned above). Basically, all backstory and explanation of why she was who she was is completely thrown out for a stupid joke. That's not even mentioning half of the other crap she does, such as turning her friends into old people and allowing them to die just so she can have a few hours of ''OH, OLD PEOPLE ARE CUTE :D''

But Beast Boy and Cyborg. THEY ARE THE FUCKING WORST.

Beast Boy used to have so much depth to him. Yes, he was the goofball of the original team but he still had values, he still cared about his friends, and he still had character development and depth. He didn't eat any type of meat because in his own words ''He's been most of those animals''. He used to care about his friends, which he quite frankly doesn't anymore, and there had been several episodes where Beast Boy stepped up out of his goofball attitude. You might remember an episode of Go where Beast Boy turned into a gorilla and acted like an immature prick, somehow gaining the leader position of the Teen Titans. How did the original series do it? All the Teen Titans across the world are captured by the villains and turned into statures. Beast Boy and a handful of the lesser known Teen Titans are all that remain and he steps up to lead them, taking some stuff from Robin.

That's not the mention the fact that Go!Beast Boy ruined his friends' happy futures just to dodge responsibility, despite Robin being happily married to BatGirl and having a family, Raven having saved the planet, and Starfire being queen of her own planet. But nope, Beast Boy just gives them the middle finger by changing history so that their miserable old people.

Cyborg is the fucking worst of them all. He used to be the big brother of the group. He could be goofy, but he was serious as well, he had actual feelings to him, he used to look out for all the titans. One of the best examples being the episode where Starfire is more or less called scum by an alien who lands on Earth and Cyborg has a heartfelt talk with her about how he feels being half robot. It's a fucking beautiful moment in the original series. But in Teen Titans Go? He might as well be named Beast Boy 2,0: Now with more stupidity and selfishness. 

But the worst thing about Go? There was a reason I mentioned all the relationships and friendships at the beginning. All of the Titans used to really care about each other. They looked out for one another, they helped each other, and would stop at no lengths to help each other. Now? They can't even be considered friends. They kick one another out of the Titans for the stupidest reasons, and in fact, they've kicked Robin out at least three times now just to give him the middle finger and say ''we don't want you back, we like our new leader much better''. I can't say these titans care about each other because they simply don't. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I hate the argument "Oh this show shouldn't be treated as a continuation of the original."

Of course its not -supposed- to be a continuation of the original. But they certainly do rely on the original show and openly mock it. This show should've just been a brand new show instead of directly basing it off of the original Teen Titans.

• Thumbs Up 1

The art looks a lot better in the comics and probably serves the comedy a lot better.  Not sure about the writing though.

This is seriously one of the worst cartoons on TV right now. I can't sit through an episode, and only a 4 year old would laugh at most of the jokes. 

Two years and this show is still divisive as fuck, lol.

I've honestly stopped comparing it to the original show and just view it as its own thing. It actually is pretty funny in how over the top it gets most of the time. 

I didn't watch this until a couple of months back, actually.

It's dumb, I guess. As a fan of the original series, the only thing that makes my skin crawl is the bastardization of the characters that I grew to cherish in my youth. I can't just imagine that it's completely different when the characters pretty much wear the same outfits and live in the exact same tower and everything. I'd say the same personalities, but...yeahh.

Outside of that, though, it's either really stupid (the whole waffles episode was kind of a thing) or just meh. Mostly just meh. I don't really find myself hating it or even disliking it outside of what I talked about in the paragraph above, but it's not something I'll readily watch. 

It's hard to put it into words, honestly. It's dumb and juvenile, but it's just kind of doing its own thing in its own weird way. It's the same characters, I guess, but at the same time they're different in a way that's not easy to just cast aside and certainly not for the better.

I don't hate it and I don't really even dislike it all too much, but I don't love it and I don't like it. I'm not even neutral on it. My opinion of it is like, just barely in the red.

It's...something? I really don't know how to feel about it, save for "meh."

• Thumbs Up 1

This show isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but at the same time it's nothing special. I mean, it can be pretty funny and I do like the art style, but it's not all that interesting. I don't know, I just don't have to much to say other than that about this show. There are better cartoons out there, especially on Cartoon Network (The Amazing World of Gumball, Stephen Universe, Adventure Time, Regular Show). At the same time though, there are much, much worse out there.

Overall, meh. Not terrible, not great.

Dude, get over it :V

To be honest, I'm kind of sick of all of the bitching about how this show isn't the original or how its a disgrace. Like yes, I get it, its nowhere near the original show. So can we move on?

I'm way over it. I'm just mentioning it. You may feel it's easy to look at it as it's own thing but as others mentioned that isn't easy for everyone. Considering that the link to the original show isn't even close to my biggest issues with it, with the humor half the time being stupid and plain and unfunny and the characters being unlikeable pricks.

Ya know when I first read about the show (before it came out or had a trailer yet) I think I was imagining something more like these.

The show itself I think it usually meh to okay personally.

Dude, get over it :V

To be honest, I'm kind of sick of all of the bitching about how this show isn't the original or how its a disgrace. Like yes, I get it, its nowhere near the original show. So can we move on?

I could move on if Go was an isolated case.

Unfortunately milking the fuck out of popular IPs no matter how shallow you do it is a very common practice.