Awoo.

Teen Titans Go! (New 2013 Animated Series)

Johnny Boy

Considering it uses the same style, theme song, designs, and the fact he says ''I did it for the original Teen Titans''. That basically says that it existed at one point. There's no reason Robin should know who they are, how it happened. That plus the other numerous references to the original.

My point is it's not exactly easy to see it as it's own thing when it constantly goes out of it's way to say ''Oh, these are the original Teen Titans!'' and show that it happened in that show's events.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering it uses the same style, theme song, designs, and the fact he says ''I did it for the original Teen Titans''. That basically says that it existed at one point. There's no reason Robin should know who they are, how it happened. That plus the other numerous references to the original.

My point is it's not exactly easy to see it as it's own thing when it constantly goes out of it's way to say ''Oh, these are the original Teen Titans!'' and show that it happened in that show's events.

Star Wars being directly parodied in Robot Chicken using official merchandise, names, musical cues, and events does not mean that Robot Chicken is effectively a canon part of the Star Wars universe (At least, I'm not willing to go down that rabbit hole of infinitely shared fictional universes.) TTG is the same way, particularly since there's very little continuity to keep track of in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

This discussion is making me want to watch the original one.

Anyways, Go is... Okay, I guess. Not great, but not horrible either. But then again, I'm not watching it with previous context.

Sometimes its funny other times its just meh, but it becomes more bearable if you take it as existing in a timeline a shade over from the Adamwest verse

Star Wars being directly parodied in Robot Chicken using official merchandise, names, musical cues, and events does not mean that Robot Chicken is effectively a canon part of the Star Wars universe (At least, I'm not willing to go down that rabbit hole of infinitely shared fictional universes.) TTG is the same way, particularly since there's very little continuity to keep track of in the first place.

It also openly contradicts the original show as well, such as Terra being around and being evil (yeah, she was at one point on the original show, but was much more sympathetic).

Plus at the end of the show when its discovered she's alive she decides to have a normal life. She might not even have her powers anymore.

Needless to say, that nod to the original show isn't a sign of any form of continuity.

I've honestly stopped comparing it to the original show and just view it as its own thing. It actually is pretty funny in how over the top it gets most of the time. 

Honestly, even in it's most over the top moments, the show is extremely hit and miss, not that I'll deny having  a bit of fun with it myself.

The main problem is how they're basing this off the original show, with the exact same VAs and whatnot, to the point where there's only two main attributes, the aesthetics and tone, keeping this from at first glance, looking like the original. So, it's rather unrealistic to not expect complaints (much of which are legit) about how this should've been a new team of heroes or  something, and not try shamelessly cashing in on the older show's fans' hopes.

• Thumbs Up 1

They're not "cashing in on the older fans' hopes" since those hopes were completely ignored from the outset. They were always upfront that this was a comedic and episodic take on the series, not a continuation of the original. Anyone who was somehow preyed upon or tricked simply wasn't paying attention to what they were trying to do, and that's not the fault of anyone involved in the show's making. It's like looking at the Boom show and being pissed off at it because it uses the same characters and their voice actors but is merely different from normal Sonic shows, when they told us what it would be at the beginning.

It also openly contradicts the original show as well, such as Terra being around and being evil (yeah, she was at one point on the original show, but was much more sympathetic).

Plus at the end of the show when its discovered she's alive she decides to have a normal life. She might not even have her powers anymore.

Needless to say, that nod to the original show isn't a sign of any form of continuity.

Funnily enough, Terra's portrayal in TTG is surprisingly more accurate to the way she acted in the original TT comic than the original shows portrayal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, as I've mentioned, the biggest reason I hate this show is the entire cast of characters are for the most part now either total idiots, or total assholes, or in the case of Beast Boy and Cyborg, both. Before anyone goes off on a huge rant about how we should look at it as it's own thing and how not to relate it to the original show, that's exactly what I've done, and the characters are still idiotic and assholes.

Say what you want but the big thing these writers have to do is make these characters likeable. I need to actually like the characters and want to actually see them in these antics. I shouldn't be thinking throughout the entire thing ''wow, these characters are just a bunch of assholes''. Forget the fact their superheroes, forget the fact it's tied to the original show, even in appearance, soundtrack, voice actors etc, and looking at the characters themselves, they are still just idiots and assholes. Especially Cyborg and Beast Boy. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Why are we acting like every single episode is just the Titans being dicks to each other? I mean yea, that's a majority of most episodes, but other times they just get on each other's nerves like you'd expect five teenagers living in one house would. Like hell, people say Beast Boy and Cyborg are the biggest idiots and jackasses, but then ignore the fact that they have the closest bond on the team too :V.

Ignoring the fact that teenagers are universally awful anyway (I was one too; I get to say it), I feel rare is the episode where anyone is being a genuine asshole to one another, at least without them getting some sort of comeuppance in turn or of them learning the errors of their ways. They get aggravated at one another and give each other shit, but that's what friends do, and with the way the writing works I don't feel like they're ever particularly condoned or awarded for behavior that is genuinely vile or over the line. At most, you get Gorilla where Beast Boy, for some reason, really is being an irredeemable dickwad to Robin, but that isn't really the normal episode.

Why are we acting like every single episode is just the Titans being dicks to each other? I mean yea, that's a majority of most episodes, but other times they just get on each other's nerves like you'd expect five teenagers living in one house would. Like hell, people say Beast Boy and Cyborg are the biggest idiots and jackasses, but then ignore the fact that they have the closest bond on the team too :V.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only character who's ever been kicked out was Beast Boy, and Robin gave valid reasons why: He was slacking and being particularly incompetent, nearly costing them an Earth-threatening fight.

Robin's treatment is rarely the result of anyone raking him through the dirt without him having done something or acted in a way that caused the behavior to be reciprocal. Plenty of times Robin has either taken advantage of someone for his own ends- particularly Starfire- or has gotten himself absorbed in a train of thought that he'd take to an extreme conclusion, such as his inferiority complex about his station within Cyborg's mecha or his general paranoia. If anyone is the resident asshole on the team it's become Robin at this point, but due to the slapstick involved at his expense and his team's apathy towards most of his behavior, he doesn't come across as all that condoned.

Cyborg and Beast Boy also never really go out of their way to be deliberate putzes. At worst, they're just oblivious to how they come across and aren't actually mean-spirited. If nothing else, they're the ones always throwing parties and celebrations, they invite Robin out half the time on their excursions to concerts and things, have been welcoming to Starfire in their group, and have been genuinely excited when Raven has actually wanted to do something. They like having fun and want to welcome people into that fun, but at worst they're just particularly short-sighted. Their behavior, as well as everyone else's, is variable as well, particularly depending upon the story, and subsequently each character will display the competence required of them in any given situation. Cyborg and Beast Boy have been contributing team members in battle before, sometimes more than others, and Cyborg in general is always building helpful shit for them or fixing something.

That's another thing about people's negative reactions to this show I don't get. I can count plenty of times where the gang is doing something that is either positive or good natured- parties, going out, giving new activities a genuine chance and actually liking them, self sacrificing for others, seeing the good in villains, trying to set things right that simply happened to turn a bad way, finding it difficult to hurt a friend's feelings- and no one gives a damn to actually take any of this into account. It's like everyone around me watched Gorilla and Waffles and said that's it.

• Thumbs Up 2

They kicked Robin out three separate times. 1. was replacing him with Bizarro Robin, 2. Replacing him with Beast Boy, 3.Replacing him with Team Robin, 4. Replacing him with Kid Flash (I won't count this one because it was Robin's own fault because he let his ego get the better of him)

Actually, the one where they purposely ruined the future to avoid responsibility was a completely... well I could use a more vulgar word, but lets just say Jerkish move, where they ruined all of their friends happiness, and caused the world to collapse, while learning nothing from it

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I think Beast Boy and Cyborg are surprisingly loyal to their original Titans counterparts.  I mean, they're the same two characters that tried to get Raven to play a game literally called "Stank Ball" in the original, so it doesn't surprise me they would crank up the obnoxiousness level in TTG.  The main difference is that, per the format of the original show, when it came time to be dramatic they could be without interruption.  Even in TTG, they do display some very heartfelt scenes, such as when Cyborg and Raven are discussing how the former is often forcing the latter into their shenanigans.  Since the format of this show, for better or for worse, is mostly on gags, naturally those sentimental moments can't supersede the comedic aspects, but it doesn't strike me as too different than the original Teen Titans.  It's just more slice of life.

I think Robin, Terra, and Jynx are the main ones who have their personalities completely changed in TTG.  The others haven't really changed much despite some questionable choice of plots (Raven and her ponies, which would be adorable if people associated it with actual fucking My Little Pony and not bronies).  It's moreso that their interesting character quirks have been exploited in more random and absurd situations, such as Starfire's verbose dialect and unfamiliarity with Earth being used for incorporating modern slang and stuff.

All this to say that Beast Boy and Cyborg being "assholes" doesn't really bother me.  I've always felt they were kind of like that.  Granted, TTG cranks up to a much higher degree and sometimes makes entire episodes about it, but the vast majority of the time really just seems like regular, slice of life versions of them.  With some exceptions, they are the more minor point of contention in the show for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

They kicked Robin out three separate times. 1. was replacing him with Bizarro Robin, 2. Replacing him with Beast Boy, 3.Replacing him with Team Robin, 4. Replacing him with Kid Flash (I won't count this one because it was Robin's own fault because he let his ego get the better of him) 

Robin wasn't kicked out in any of those times you named; in all three he was temporarily demoted but still a part of the team. The first, he was demoted because The Titans found Nibor a more appealing leader, and considering before Robin has basically alluded to being self-instated anyway regardless of the others' thoughts, I don't see how this is a particularly dumb turn of events. As for the second, I've already addressed Gorilla, but once again Robin was demoted. The third example you admit is shaky for the reasons given. Again, the only one actually kicked out was Beast Boy, and the reasons for that were actually sound.

Yeah, gonna have to disagree about Cyborg being an asshole in the original. As I said, he was more the big brother of the group who would goof around with Beast Boy but would still be looking out for all his friends. Plus, this.

One instance does not override the way he acts in the majority of his screen-time.  Like I said, when they want to be dramatic, they can be.  But that's like only 15 percent of the time, unless the episode revolves directly around him.

Nightwing, I feel like you're too overtly focused on the negative aspects of this show, especially since you constantly bring up the original series whenever you address it. I'm not  saying the original show isn't good, but I feel like you're looking at it through extremely rose-tinted glasses and simply refuse to see any merit in Go! despite it being pointed out in front you.

Its like, how many times do we have to hear how amazing the original series is before we're able to judge Go! without constantly comparing the two. Its like those fanboys who complain about every single 3D Sonic game and act like anything before 1998 is a holy grail.

Nightwing, I feel like you're too overtly focused on the negative aspects of this show, especially since you constantly bring up the original series whenever you address it. I'm not  saying the original show isn't good, but I feel like you're looking at it through extremely rose-tinted glasses and simply refuse to see any merit in Go! despite it being pointed out in front you.

Its like, how many times do we have to hear how amazing the original series is before we're able to judge Go! without constantly comparing the two. Its like those fanboys who complain about every single 3D Sonic game and act like anything before 1998 is a holy grail.

Actually, I already did say Go had some positives.

I'll admit that there are a few episodes I do like. The episode between Cyborg and Jynx was alright, mainly because for once they got the romance down while making a fairly decent reference to the original (In the original, there's a episode where Cyborg goes undercover into the Hive Five and gets a crush on Jynx). While personally, JynxXKid Flash was one of my favourite shippings of the original show, I can at least respect Go for keeping some kind of continuity on this episode. For example, in the real boy episode, there's a part where Cyborg is hurting the Hive Five, Jynx included only for Cyborg to say ''Sorry babe''.

The episodes involving Robin doing something for Batman were alright as well, I do like some of the jokes in the Batcave episode, especially when Starfire dresses as Batgirl leading Robin to go from mouth drooling and terrified that Batman will find out. Then there's the always classic "EMERGENCY! GET IN THE CAR, WE GOTTA GO NOW''.

Overall, there is some good episodes but I just think the humor for the most part is lazy and just not that well done.

I'll give them credit though. I do like both TT Theme Song remixes.

As for my references to the original show, that's not me saying ''Oh, that did this better''. That's me giving examples of what I'm talking about and to further help that point, showing that the original show and writers could handle these simple things, so why can't Go do it? Even the New Teen Titans shorts were a lot better than Go in my opinion.

Although honestly, I might just finish with this and stop here and now. Quite honestly, I'm getting sick and tired of everyone acting like I'm just some blind fanboy of the original show who's complaining about how it isn't quite that. I've explained time and time again why I don't like Go, even getting rid of the ties to the original show, and explaining that I believe the majority of characters and jokes are terrible. I've watched a whole bunch of Go episodes because I believe in giving it a fair chance to stand on it's own but currently it's the same as always. Sometimes, there's a decent gem in there, but most of the time, it's just the same old stuff.

I understand you might not like hearing criticism about the show, and just want to enjoy it, and well, go ahead, do enjoy it. If you like, there's nothing wrong with that. But I'm quite honestly sick of my opinion on the show being shoved off as just some fanboy trying to crap on a show for not being another show. If I had only watched a handful of episodes and had just said Go was total crap with absolutely no redeeming factors whatsoever, then sure, you'd have a point because that isn't giving it a fair chance. But considering I've watched a ton of episodes, I've stated there's some decent jokes and episodes, and even without connecting to to the original show, I just flat out don't like the characters or the majority of the jokes, plus I'm not a fan of the artstyle or animation then I feel that I'm trying my best here to explain why I just don't like the show. 

But meh whatever, not really much more point of going on about this anymore. I've stated my opinion. 

For the record, my favourite episode of Go is In & Out.

They're not "cashing in on the older fans' hopes" since those hopes were completely ignored from the outset.

Yeah, that was probably a poor choice of words on my part, so allow to rephrase: What I mean is that to many fans, it's understandable why they'd get ticked off at this show for having major similarities such as the VAs and characters; to them it does come a rather a harsh tease of sorts: having all these known characters set up in a universe not quite as balanced in tones and as well done humor as from its roots when this could have just been a something with a different cast of sorts all together and still be just as funny without having to use this recognized team for something that wasn't the continuation that fans were itching for.

Like hell, people say Beast Boy and Cyborg are the biggest idiots and jackasses, but then ignore the fact that they have the closest bond on the team too :V.

Hate to say it, but that's probably because the prospect of them being jerks at many a time, eclipses said bond.

I only saw like, two episode of the original and I just don't like Go because I find it annoying.

I also find the sheer amount of complaining about it annoying. though. It's like, people will complain about this show every chance they get like it robbed their house despite, logically, having only seen like two episode before jumping ship.

• Thumbs Up 1