Awoo.

Teen Titans Go! (New 2013 Animated Series)

Johnny Boy

So from what I'm hearing this show ranges from "meh" to "bleh."

Seems to be another result of changing something that didn't even need one iota of alteration.

There is nothing funny about tired sitcom plots when you put superheroes into them. Mad TV does that already to a craptacular degree.

Well, I guess it's time to throw out my comic Idea I've been coming up with for the past few years. Thanks for reminding me how much of a humorless hack I am, ya jerk. >:V

All joking and self depreciation aside, the reactions are pretty much how I expected them to be. Pretty disappointing, though not surprising. Teen Titans was a big influence on my said comic series, so to see it go in this direction kinda irks me. I would have been very ecstatic if they just continued off where the original series left off, but when this was first announced, I was really skeptical.

Also, even though I'm a pony fan, putting ponies in anything nowadays is a bad Idea. It's like a time bomb just waiting to ignite a flame war. 

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

I saw some of it last night. I thought it tried a little too hard. It was more like, Teens dealing with typical teen shit (who happen to have super powers) than "Teen Titans".

I saw what I guess was the second part of the episode, with Beast Boy's birthday gift dilemma. Reminded me of those widget 3 minute clips that were produced for DC Nation or whatever. The humor largely relied on folks knowing the characters or pop culture references - not introducing you to them like the first series tried to do.

I will admit it got a few chuckles out of me, and that I actually enjoy the chibi-esque character designs compared to the previous incarnation - which I felt tried a little too hard to be kawaii-desu. But when you get to the heart of it, all it really is is just another MadTV/random gag show clone with superheroes. Who happen to be teens.

Here it is if you missed it last night
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/teen-titans-go-episode-1-legendary-sandwichpie-bros

Rewatching it, it's not as horrible as I said in my previous post. It certainly isn't good by any chance, but that's just me. My problem is that this isn't Teen Titans, even the comedy from the old incarnation was way different from this show's attempt at humor.

Though I still say Robin will hold the show up. His jokes were the only one that made me laugh.

When did Beast Boy ever talk while in an animal form? Feels weird. That's the least of the show's problems though, but so far it's bordering on pretty ok. My problem is that it feels like you could replace the TT's characters with original characters and still have the exact same show. Doesn't really *feel* like Teen Titans beyond the voices and references.

Edit: Watched the second episode. More enjoyable than the first, and I actually cracked up a few times. I'll give this some more eps before making final judgments, though I'm always gonna miss the old action/comedy/drama/well balanced sandwich that the original series was.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 2

I never remember beast boy saying "yo" and "dawg" constantly. I remember him saying stuff like that every once and a while, but not this frequently...

I never remember beast boy saying "yo" and "dawg" constantly. I remember him saying stuff like that every once and a while, but not this frequently...

He did say "dude" all the time in the old series.

Edit: Watched the second episode. More enjoyable than the first, and I actually cracked up a few times. I'll give this some more eps before making final judgments, though I'm always gonna miss the old action/comedy/drama/well balanced sandwich that the original series was.

Yeah, I'll probably give this show a bit more watching...maybe.

I don't wanna tear it apart just yet.

Edited by Abominal Taz

I gotta say, that episode ended on really a strange note…

Starfire, Robin, and Raven are kidnapped and thrown into a meat grinder by an old woman that makes pies out of her customers. Beast boy and Cyborg are not aware of this because they are too busy fighting and throwing pies at each other that have no doubt been made out of other customers.

Cyborg and Beast boy resolve their feud and proceed to eat pies that appear to have been made out of their teammates while remarking about how good they taste and plucking a strands of their team mates' hair and capes out of their teeth.

Of course in the last few seconds of the episode they show the three tattered but still very much alive…but damn!

Hm, while this show isn't as good as the original Teen Titans, I've got to say it isn't as horrible as people have been saying. I mean, at least it isn't cringe-worthy, which is something I can't say about most of CN's shows (Johnny Test and sorts)

I gotta say, that episode ended on really a strange note…

Starfire, Robin, and Raven are kidnapped and thrown into a meat grinder by an old woman that makes pies out of her customers. Beast boy and Cyborg are not aware of this because they are too busy fighting and throwing pies at each other that have no doubt been made out of other customers.

Cyborg and Beast boy resolve their feud and proceed to eat pies that appear to have been made out of their teammates while remarking about how good they taste and plucking a strands of their team mates' hair and capes out of their teeth.

Of course in the last few seconds of the episode they show the three tattered but still very much alive…but damn!

Is it bad that that was the funniest part of the whole thing for me?

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course in the last few seconds of the episode they show the three tattered but still very much alive…but damn

This was the most disturbing part of the episode for me. Even Robin was like "....seriously guys?"

oh and that woman was Mother May-Eye, in an episode of the OLD show, she hypnotized them into thinking she was their mother and taked care of them, until later, then she tried to bake them. Which has me confused, don't they KNOW she's evil? I guess this is an alternate universe.

Edited by XtremerSadiq

Is it bad that that was the funniest part of the whole thing for me?

Nope. That's exactly what made me laugh too. :P Would have been funnier if they ended without showing their teammates were okay.

Nope. That's exactly what made me laugh too. tongue.png Would have been funnier if they ended without showing their teammates were okay.

Prrreeettty sure it wouldn't be able to air on a kids network if that happened. Since, you know, the last you saw of them before that is when they are about to be brutally shredded to pieces.

This probably would've been even darker than some of the stuff in symbiotic titan if that had happened.

It's still a very grim ending since the other people she captured are never seen again and probably were in all the pies the titans ate/destroyed.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well in the next episode, Robin is going to drivers Ed after crashing the Batmobile and Trigon comes to visit Raven. Uh, yeah, why are they letting a guy who literally destroyed the world come over to visit?

It's certainly a show that aims at comedy rather than being seriously. It feels a bit too quirky at times to me, but I still enjoyed the first episode.

I really don't know what to think about the new show. I mean, it's good for a laugh (Raven being a brony is hilarious), but all it really does is make me want to watch the original series.

Edited by Snatcher2047

This show has got to be set in an alternate universe considering that beast boy is eating meat, and -they are not remembering the villans they fought before.

I know I'm a bit late to the conversation, but...

This is all I have seen of this show. 

http://youtu.be/LkNrxQ-4JlI

I watched the original, I loved it. This? While I don't hate the art style as much as some do, I certainly cannot say the same for the script and the humour within. 

There is little room for error when you bring back the original voice cast. Unless, y'know, you write a bad script?

I don't find this funny. [in a good way anyway] It's either hilariously bad or borderline awkward. I really can't tell. Although it's probably just that scene, unless someone wishes to correct me. 

I don't think I'll be following this past what I have seen.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know I'm a bit late to the conversation, but...

This is all I have seen of this show. 

http://youtu.be/LkNrxQ-4JlI

I watched the original, I loved it. This? While I don't hate the art style as much as some do, I certainly cannot say the same for the script and the humour within. 

There is little room for error when you bring back the original voice cast. Unless, y'know, you write a bad script?

I don't find this funny. [in a good way anyway] It's either hilariously bad or borderline awkward. I really can't tell. Although it's probably just that scene, unless someone wishes to correct me. 

I don't think I'll be following this past what I have seen.

The very end. I cringed so hard.

• Thumbs Up 8