Awoo.

Missouri's "right-to-pray" amendment

Balding Spider

When Missouri voters cast ballots on the so-called "right-to-pray" amendment to the state's constitution, they'll be deciding whether students should be able to opt out of school assignments that they think run counter to their religious beliefs.

Yet that's not spelled out on the Aug. 7 ballot.

To its supporters, the amendment enumerates rights already in the U.S. and Missouri constitutions and forces government and public schools to respect religious liberty.

To its critics, the amendment poses a problematic fix for something that isn't broken, and ultimately could open school curricula to theological negotiation.

Both sides agree the final say probably will be made by the courts.

If this does end up passing kids are going to end up abusing the hell out it, and that goes without saying. Seriously how the hell could anybody think this would be a good idea?

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I like that they're trying to be more open to other religions.....but this is not the right way to do it. Kids and parents would abuse the hell out of it.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Hmmmmm.....it would be nice, but it would be disrespectful to abuse it, and I certainly wouldn't put it past anyone in my school. Hmmm....maybe a compromise could be met, where parents could send a request or something.

I don't find it completely necessary, seeing as how my school has let religious excuses slide before in my case multiple times, but I guess it'd be nice to have it in writing.

It's illegal to have any kind of prayer forced and sanctioned by public school authorities, but students can form religious clubs and pray openly if they want to. Whole separation of church and state thing.

And really, this bill is just another way to keep religious nutters from exposing their unfortunate kids to the evils of evolution.

"Ok you have math quiz today"

"Oh sorry mrs. Li, I can't do math because it goes against my religion of... Antinumeronomy, yeah..."

"...ok"

LOL. As far as I remember, in my high school they had an absense code that stated a religious holiday for the reason of absense. But this seems to spread beyond that. I know my mom would have abused this for idiotic projects that were assigned to me that required so many materials to make. Nightmares.

Also, is prayer even restricted in Texas? They allowed the valedictorian to say a prayer at my graduation during her speech. Or maybe it was the salutatorian. Eitherway I never saw any of that as a big, deal if somebody wants to pray then let them do it, if they don't want to then whatever.

Edited by Prince Solaris

Shielding kids from different beliefs makes for a weak individual who will believe anything they're told. True strength comes from believing something because you know it's right, not because it's the only thing you've known.

This...is a new thing? This was what always happened in my high school (we were technically meant to pray in college, but it was a church-recognised Catholic sixth form so it's understandable, and they didn't even force the non-Christians to pray).

While the bill is enumerating the federal rights you have to prayer, this story ultimately has nothing to do with that. This is about the potential of allowing parents and students the choice to opt out of assignments that cover material that could run counter to their religious beliefs, e.g., "I'm not gonna learn about that Satanic evolution shit."

Honestly, I have to side with Nepenthe on this; this amendment seems unnecessary at best, and at worst just another way to appeal to fundamentalist parents who want their children to avoid the theory of evolution like it's a new recreational drug. Unless there have been cases of students' religious beliefs openly being scorned by the education system -which, last I checked, there haven't- then I don't see a valid purpose the law would serve to accomplish. This type of legislation should have died years ago with the Butler Act.

And on the topic of kids abusing this amendment...

<Calvin and Hobbes comic>

Sorry, I couldn't help but be reminded of this when I looked at the article. XD

Seriously, all I could think of was this:

1869299_a96476631c.jpg

Missouri, you do a math-hating kid proud.

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 5

Huh, when you say it that way, yeah, I really can't see how this can end well.

The way I saw it, it was just to make it required by law for schools to allow leeway for situations like this (which I've dealt with just fine in the past):

"Hey, it's Ramadan and I don't want to die of dehydration. I'm going to the library instead of playing soccer during P.E." or "Yeah, my religion forbids close physical contact between boys and girls (couldn't be bothered to go into more detail but it makes sense bla bla bla) so I can't exactly do this weird Mexican dance you want me to do for a grade."

You know, you'd think you'd want to teach your kid to have an open mind of the world to let them lead a life they want. Not plug your ears and go "AAALALALALA" every time someone presents a new idea at you. If it's something that really concerns the parent, they should be keeping up on what their kids are learning on a day to day basis, and if they don't agree with evolution, they could simply tell their belief to the child again on the matter in a non-forceful matter. Give the kid some options, seriously.

Will that realistically ever happen? PFFFFFFFHAHAHAHA

• Thumbs Up 2

...But letting them learn will cause schools to twist the minds of our children to worship THE DEVIL!!!

• Thumbs Up 7

While the bill is enumerating the federal rights you have to prayer, this story ultimately has nothing to do with that. This is about the potential of allowing parents and students the choice to opt out of assignments that cover material that could run counter to their religious beliefs, e.g., "I'm not gonna learn about that Satanic evolution shit."

Oh, right.

I think the only subject that applies for in the UK is...Religious Education. You can opt out of that if you can prove that you're a devout follower of your religion, but you'd have to do every other subject, including the sciences, and cover ALL the material in it.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Is it sad that if you look on the map where Missouri is, you won't be surprised that something like this passed at all?

• Thumbs Up 2