Awoo.

Sonic Before The Sequel

Wentos

SBTS.jpg

Featuring a fully original soundtrack and new sprites, Sonic Before The Sequel '12 has been released!

Sonic Before The Sequel is a fangame by LakeFeperd. The game is designed to explain what happened between Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic The Hedgehog 2, such as how Tails met Sonic, how the Death Egg was built, etc. The game uses the Sonic Worlds engine, and is very similar in design and gameplay to other Classic Sonic games, with 12 zones and 2 different endings. The ending you achieve depends on your "Time Points," points that reduce as you play through the game.

The newest '12 release features a fully new OST and custom sprites.

Windows Download

Mac Download - NOTE: Cutscenes do NOT work in this version, so keep them off.

OST Playlist

OST Download

Note: You can press "U" at the title screen to access the level select menu, among others. You can also press "U" mid-game to skip to the next level.

Edited by KatamariParadox
  • Thumbs Up 5

I have a severe lack of attention for classic styled Sonic games. Generations' 50% being the exception.

I just get bored of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't get the thing to work for me because of the cutscenes, so I turned them off. It works fine, but when I close the game and later turn it back on, My cutscenes are turned on automatically, and I can't disable them again in my saved game. So I have to make a new game everytime. Fuck that.

I did have fun from the bit I did play however.

I would love to play this... but I can't open RAR files. =(

WinRAR.

This is basic stuff, dude.

Edited by Hazama
  • Thumbs Up 5

I can't get the thing to work for me because of the cutscenes, so I turned them off. It works fine, but when I close the game and later turn it back on, My cutscenes are turned on automatically, and I can't disable them again in my saved game. So I have to make a new game everytime. Fuck that.

I did have fun from the bit I did play however.

That's right, I forgot; You can press "U" at the title screen to go to the level select. I'll add that to the description and notify LakeFeperd of this problem.

EDIT: Are you sure this is still a problem in the '12 version? You get the option to turn the cutscenes off before the title screen this time, so I imagine loading a save shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I would love to play this... but I can't open RAR files. =(

Get 7zip, it's free.

Edited by Hatsune Miku

I hope the mac version comes out soon! I want to try this.

let me guess, does the windows download give you a .zip file containing a .exe one? If it gives you a .bin, I could still get it to work with my emulator

I just downloaded this for SAGE. I must say, it's pretty awesome. The story is an interesting take on the series, some of the graphic effects are pretty nice, and the soundtrack absolutely kicks ass. Plus, I always love a good classic-style Sonic game. I'm only a few levels into it at the moment, I might post more when I'm further along.

I hope the mac version comes out soon! I want to try this.

let me guess, does the windows download give you a .zip file containing a .exe one? If it gives you a .bin, I could still get it to work with my emulator

It's a fangame, not a ROM hack. It's not going to work on an emulator, sorry.

I'm working on a Mac port at the moment, hence the "Coming Soon." The gameplay works fine on the port so far, but cutscenes and save loading crash the game, and I'm trying to fix that.

Edited by Hatsune Miku

This is an awesome fangame! I do like the story, an interesting take on what happened in between Sonic 1 and 2. Level design is good, gets bland and too hold-right-to-win sometimes, but again, still overall good. And of course, I LOVE the OST. So many good tracks!

All in all, pretty great fangame, and can't wait for After The Sequel!

I've been slowly working my way through the original lately. It's pretty damn fun but I will say the ridiculous amount of Kirby's Fun Pak music was a little strange. I guess I'll finish the original then download this new one to check out the OST because I'd gotten pretty far.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm having touble seeing why this game is being raved about. All the level art is just small edits of stuff from the classics, and the level designs aren't very fun at all. They're lifeless. Got to Star Shore 1 and stopped playing. It's not very good to play, but the music is very nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Downloaded the new version myself. Glad to see that Saved games no longer have cutscenes enabled automatically. SOME of the music is better, while some I think is more forgettable. I think sonic actually controls worse in this version. It's the Sonic Worlds engine, and that doesn't exactly control perfectly, but its ironic since I think the older version controlled better. The older Sonic 1/CD style sprite used for Sonic in the older version of the game was also better then the new sprite the game has for him now.

It's fun, but I'm probably not going to bother with it again after/if I finish it.

Also decided to spoil myself and check out the final boss. There's something that really annoys me about the fact they just remixed the sonic 2 ending theme and used it for the final boss.

Oh my gosh, I love this fangame. The story is interesting, the stages are great, and the bosses are packed with awesome. I remember doing a video of a boss rush of all of the bosses. Like months ago? Anyways..

Here it is, watch it at your own risk. Don't watch if it's your first time playing the fangame. It's gonna spoil it. xD

Has anyone also heard about Sonic After the Sequel? Sonic BTS's sequel. A demo of it also came out this SAGE.

Edited by KCEXE

I'm having touble seeing why this game is being raved about. All the level art is just small edits of stuff from the classics, and the level designs aren't very fun at all. They're lifeless. Got to Star Shore 1 and stopped playing. It's not very good to play, but the music is very nice.

>Complains about level art and design

>Stops after first level

Yeah, there are later levels that are entirely original, and it's not like the ones that are altered are just recolors of old stages. They all have something unique about them. Don't know where you're getting that the stages aren't fun, because in my and most other peoples' opinions, they are.

Anyway, I fucking loved this game, no idea it had been revamped. Can't wait for Sonic After the Sequel.

Edited by HyperMetalWario
  • Thumbs Up 7

So, one of the moderators on Sonic Retro, Guess Who, got us a little present!

BCxXI.png

Anyone fancy a Mac port?

Remember to turn cutscenes off: like the 2011 version, the game will crash otherwise! Should you have any trouble opening the game, drag the game out of the .dmg and into the Applications folder, and it should work just fine!

Don't forget about Level Select either!

• Thumbs Up 1

So, one of the moderators on Sonic Retro, Guess Who, got us a little present!

BCxXI.png

Anyone fancy a Mac port?

Remember to turn cutscenes off: like the 2011 version, the game will crash otherwise! Should you have any trouble opening the game, drag the game out of the .dmg and into the Applications folder, and it should work just fine!

Don't forget about Level Select either!

*Facepalm*

I already successfully ported the game to the same extent. The reason I didn't release the port was because I was trying to figure out how to get cutscenes working so it can be fully enjoyed. Whatever though, do what you want.

*Facepalm*

I already successfully ported the game to the same extent. The reason I didn't release the port was because I was trying to figure out how to get cutscenes working so it can be fully enjoyed. Whatever though, do what you want.

The Sonic stages are

*Facepalm*

The cutscenes don't really add anything. Nobody gives a fuck wether or not they are in. Mac users just wanna play the damn game.

You can easily watch the cutscenes on Youtube anyway...