Awoo.

Classic Sonic Sound-Effects

WarioBone

Sonic, probably even more so than Mario (but likely not Zelda), has a ton of classic noises that most of us would recognize in a heartbeat. There's the "Ba-ding!" of getting a ring, the solid "BUM" of hitting a bumper, and the hit single, "BOING!" by Sonic and the Secret Springs.

There are, of course, several others. Spin-dashing, rolling, jumping...all have their own unique, recognizable sound. As time goes on, though, these are often being replaced by more realistic noises, sadly. Do you find these newer, fresher, realistic noises more satisfying, or do you prefer the good ol' grindy "Svvvvvn!" of revving up your Spin Dash?

Personally, I feel that there's something to be said for classic gaming noises, but I do enjoy Sonic's most recent "WOOSH" jumping noise than the cartoony "WHOOP".

EDIT: Also, discuss Sonic noises that you like.

Edited by Billionaire Playboy Wario
  • Thumbs Up 2

the noise that happens when you hit a Eggman spring sounds so annoying yet classic! but yeah it's a noise that won't be leavin anytime soon I bet.

The boost sound effect is cool I think.

And the sonic heroes sound effects are pretty nostalgic.:P

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Yes. The newer ones are weird and after seeing Classic in Generations I want silly noises back. I mean, why have a WOOSH when you can have a WOIPE amiright?

Slightly off topic, but I love the 'water' sound effect in Sonic 1, 2 and 3. Sounds like wuuuerrrrr when Sonic breaths an air bubble.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Slightly off topic, but I love the 'water' sound effect in Sonic 1, 2 and 3. Sounds like wuuuerrrrr when Sonic breaths an air bubble.

What? When Sonic breathes a bubble, it's more like "BOO-WHEEP!"

OH-AH! The sound Sonic makes when breathing an air bubble :P

The noise a Badnik makes when it dies is a Classic "POP!" XD

The WOOF sound when a machine or something shoots a fireball.

It always sounded weird to me.

I'm not usually one to pick one set of sound effects over another, but I did always find it wierd that they started going with that wierd "poing" sound for the springs come SA1-2. I always found the classic BLUNG noise a lot more appealing to the ears for some reason.

I dislike Generations's use of Sonic CD's jump sound. I feel that one day I will go nuts hearing that "WOOOOOOOP" sound.

Other than that I pretty much like the sounds they have right now. Specially the ring one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dislike Generations's use of Sonic CD's jump sound. I feel that one day I will go nuts hearing that "WOOOOOOOP" sound.

Other than that I pretty much like the sounds they have right now. Specially the ring one.

Oh yes. The pure joy of listening to rings being picked up in a row. *ringringringringring* So satisfying.

There is a certain lazer sound in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Its when the final boss fires his lazor. I LOVE THAT SOUND EFFECT. If I could chose what an orgasm sounded like, I would chose that sound effect. OH MY GOD I LOVE THAT LAZER SOUND.

• Thumbs Up 3

There is a certain lazer sound in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Its when the final boss fires his lazor. I LOVE THAT SOUND EFFECT. If I could chose what an orgasm sounded like, I would chose that sound effect. OH MY GOD I LOVE THAT LAZER SOUND.

Fwooomfwoomfoowmfwoooooom

BWEEEBWEEEBWEEEBWEEEBWEEE

That one? Still strikes fear into my heart to this day.

When a character turns Super/Hyper in Sonic 3/& Knuckles. Goes for Mecha Sonic's "Super transformation' as well. It's such a freaking cool sound effect. Even Ristar used it for Kaiser Greedy's black hole attack.

Also, that sound effect "dum dum" when you die in the Mega Drive games. What makes this sound effect even more comical is how it is used in Sonic Shorts to censor swearing XD

• Thumbs Up 1

no its like

fweefweefweefweefweefweefwee

BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM.

Oh, YEAH! What laser am I thinking of...?

The bass in that BROOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM was so so epic.

Best Sonic final boss ever.

Oh, YEAH! What laser am I thinking of...?

The bass in that BROOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM was so so epic.

Best Sonic final boss ever.

100% Agreed.

Silver Sonic sounded like a fax machine...

BUDUH-BA-DING-BA-DAH! Love the Chaos Emerald noise, they even brought it back for when you get Emeralds in SA2 or an extra life in SA onwards. It's such a satisfying and magical noise!

Lots of onomatopoeia here hahaha

My favs are the classic spring's 'brooing' and that sound of 'something falling', at the end of Sonic 2's title screen :) And not exactly a sound-effect, but the Sonic CD act passed 'WOOOOAAAHHH, TELEPORTATION YEAH, SHU-RI-BI-DU-BAH PA-RAM-PA-RAM-PARA-BAM-PAM'!

no its like

fweefweefweefweefweefweefwee

BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM.

I've always associated that sound more with the orb transporter thingies from Sky Sanctuary. So sad that sound effect wasn't included in Generations...

I love that sound that plays right after the intro to Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis). It's similar to the sound that plays when you turn into Super Sonic in Sonic 2, that DLEEDLEEDLEEDLEEDLEEDLEEDLEE.

0:24

I'm also a fan of the poof/boop sound of bopping a badnik in the classics. I find it much more satisfying than the generic BOOM sound. Also, it's more satisfying for the enemy to explode on contact rather than get knocked a few feet back before exploding.

• Thumbs Up 1