Awoo.

General Fighting Game Discussion Thread.

Kuzu

Good point on the tournament thing, I was mostly just talking about playing competitively with friends at home and as for the same character thing, sooner or later i'll try another fighting game cause like I said I haven't played one in awhile so I can't make a good solid argument on that.

BlazBlue is pretty good, I don't have a lot of experience with Guilty Gear, but from what I've played its a blast too. It makes me wish I had gotten into the genre years ago. When playing with friends at home, lol bullshittery is always fun, great way to relax too. I also have SF IV Arcade on my PC, being Ibuki be hard for me lol.

I like to think there's a masive difference between unlockables in fighting games and unlockables in other genres.

Anyways, I picked up Dead or Alive Dimensions with Christmas money. It's pretty fun, and the breast physics aren't as horribly obnoxious as previous entries, but I can't for the life of me figure out how counter moves work.

Anyone else have this game that would want to play sometime?

I like to think there's a masive difference between unlockables in fighting games and unlockables in other genres.

Anyways, I picked up Dead or Alive Dimensions with Christmas money. It's pretty fun, and the breast physics aren't as horribly obnoxious as previous entries, but I can't for the life of me figure out how counter moves work.

Anyone else have this game that would want to play sometime?

You need to throw the counter out juuuuuust before you get hit by an attack. Usually if you see the arm flicky animation play out it means you were too early. The active portion of the counter happens pretty much as soon as you put the input in. 

The other thing that might trip you up is you need different counters for each attack. Make sure you're doing high for high, low for low and keep in mind that mid punches and kicks require different counters. 

I actually quite like DOA. I have boatloads of fun playing the F2P DOA5 version and wrecking faces with Ayane.

Used to play DOA3 almost religiously with a friend. I think it gets a lot of flak for the titties when it's really a faster paced, super flashy, somewhat poorly balanced VF game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger is now out for Steam.

Go back in time and enjoy things like

-Ice Cars!

-Nu's Swords!

-Rachel Alucard!

-Hakuwho?

-Bang's voice!

-Curse!

-A small group of characters!

-Little to no character developement!

The twist?

It's still using Live for its online. Not Steam support.

• Thumbs Up 2

So for those who bought Skull Girls for the PS3, Sony sent out vouchers yesterday in the morning and later after 11pm to go download the new "Encore" version. I downloaded it and tried Squigly for a bit and I like it....but my friends and I could NOT connect for anything.

I'm trying to like you Skull Girls, I really am.

I stopped trying to like Skullgirls a long time ago.

The game has had numerous patches and updates and still has the same core problems on the gameplay side. I don't like the art style or the vast majority of the character designs. The "story mode" is bare bones and is just a glorified arcade mode and the console version still doesn't have fucking lobbies. Squigly's cool but playing her just makes me wish she was in a better game.

I'll mess around with it again whenever Big Band comes out. Then maybe in 2015 when they manage to finish Beowulf.

I tried out the trial for the game, I was definitely wrong on the characters not playing differently argument I made a while back cause the few from the demo seem to all have some unique quirk to them and such, my favorite being the character with the anchor arms hair. Still not that interested in it but it was pretty fun to play a standard 2-d fighter again.

I still fairly enjoy the game and with Squigly I would like to say the game will feel refreshing to me for a bit (not too long at all). Personally, I just hate the fact that the online wasn't working for shit last night, I will probably check again tonight.

The lacking roster also makes it harder to like the game and the rate at which these new characters are being added is a joke in my opinion. Especially with all that money they got (including mine).

I tried out the trial for the game, I was definitely wrong on the characters not playing differently argument I made a while back cause the few from the demo seem to all have some unique quirk to them and such, my favorite being the character with the anchor arms hair. Still not that interested in it but it was pretty fun to play a standard 2-d fighter again.

The characters are definitely unique. I feel as though they have to be with such a small roster. Anchor Arms Hair? Filia? If that's who you're talking about (seeing how she was like the only playable character besides Cerebella in the demo), she's definitely my favorite too and my main. I'm trying to learn Peacock and Valentine as well.

I still fairly enjoy the game and with Squigly I would like to say the game will feel refreshing to me for a bit (not too long at all). Personally, I just hate the fact that the online wasn't working for shit last night, I will probably check again tonight.

The lacking roster also makes it harder to like the game and the rate at which these new characters are being added is a joke in my opinion. Especially with all that money they got (including mine).

The characters are definitely unique. I feel as though they have to be with such a small roster. Anchor Arms Hair? Filia? If that's who you're talking about (seeing how she was like the only playable character besides Cerebella in the demo), she's definitely my favorite too and my main. I'm trying to learn Peacock and Valentine as well.

No, it was the character with the like strong arms hair that you could play as in one of the tutorials, her hair was orange but yeah, I also like filia too, and poppet (I think was her name) was the funniest character of them all.

No, it was the character with the like strong arms hair that you could play as in one of the tutorials, her hair was orange but yeah, I also like filia too, and poppet (I think was her name) was the funniest character of them all.

oh Cerebella. Yeah, she's a good character with retarded damage output on a majority of her grabs. Also, I think you mean "Peacock."

But yeah, I tried the online again yesterday and my friend and I were able to connect. Still having no lobbies suck but I don't play on PC much so I'll have to deal in the mean time. It ran smooth for the most part with a few hiccups here and there (I think it was my friends connection tbh, it hasn't been the same since his mom got them that router and modem in one).

Squigly is definitely fun to use, I just need to practice a bit more. I'm loving Filia's changes such as being able to dash out of a air.Hairball. I don't like the fake she has, but whatever works I guess

• 1 month later...

Relevant bump for anyone who either wants to learn fighters, or get a better understanding of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfk3tOJjaQ

This is Air Dash Academy, a fan orientated project to get as many people familiar with the genre so they don't come in feeling intimidated or too outclassed. They speak about the mechanics, technicalities, notations, and all that other juicy stuff.

And now to answer something. people are probably thinking:

Q: But what are Air dashers?

A : They simply refer to a type of fighting game that, as you could guess, have an air dash motion. These types of fighters tend to be faster paced than the likes of Street Fighter or Tekken.

Its a really good series, and for the people that think fighting games are "too complicated", it can give them a real insight into the genre and hopefully change their opinion once they understand the depth of it more. Its only 1 episode so far, but more are coming in the future.

For those interested, they also have an entire series on the changes to the latest Guilty Gear update( Accent Core Plus R):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj34EySs1Ieb8Wjnj9H2Q-G4mdPXTd_xH