Awoo.

General Fighting Game Discussion Thread.

Kuzu

I tried Street Fighter in the past and Tekken too and I find it way too hard as the game doesn't give enough time to either pull of the combo or doesn't detect input. I mean, pulling off a 41234123AB type of combo seems a little daunting to pull off on a D-Pad

I hope you're assuming that the character is facing LEFT because that is a weird input. Actually... facing in any direction in a 2D fighter that command still seems awkward

Edited by LunarEdge

I hope you're assuming that the character is facing LEFT because that is a weird input

Looks like something from KOF

Looks like something from KOF

KOF inputs are usually full circles back and/or forth. That particular aforementioned command is more of a reverse QCF/QCB command, which you don't see often. I actually can't recall seeing a command like that. KOF has more commands such as (assuming facing right) "632141236" and BB has more like "632146."

I hope you're assuming that the character is facing LEFT because that is a weird input. Actually... facing in any direction in a 2D fighter that command still seems awkward

Unless the character is designed to do pullback attacks, and its a HCF attack.

Edited by novelty

WAIT STOP. I've only played on pad and a few sticks... whats with the numbers? 4321AB bizz? I'm SERIOUSLY confused here. :c

Edited by Vicki Turner

WAIT STOP. I've only played on pad and a few sticks... whats with the numbers? 4321AB bizz? I'm SERIOUSLY confused here. :c

cKPhm.png

Look at your num pad.

The numbers represent direction/motion inputs.

As a basic example,

A fireball motion = 236

Dragon punch = 623

and so on.

This is mostly only used in conjunction with ArcSys fighters, but it's found it's way into common fighting game jargon.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yes, yes I am?

Most are either only using forward and punch, back and punch, or quarter circle rolls. Not hard.

Once you learn those motions you know them forever, and use them in every game

I'm just going to say this and leave since this is going fucking nowhere:

I've played fighting games for years, and have never gotten the hang of them. They piss me the hell off half of the time.

I have no idea how people play these games, and probably never will.

• Thumbs Up 1

They practice the basics then go on to learn the complex stuff later.... and basically just play them and have one. There's no trick or magic too it really.

No one on this board that plays fighters is particularly special or amazing at them. It's just something that requires a bit of work when you start out. I've been able to do special moves in fighters since I was like 8 so I can't really help you with learning the basics, but most of the time I spent starting out was just basically playing against a friend for fun- that's how I got good.

I have no idea how people play these games, and probably never will.

cKPhm.png

Look at your num pad.

The numbers represent direction/motion inputs.

As a basic example,

A fireball motion = 236

Dragon punch = 613

and so on.

This is mostly only used in conjunction with ArcSys fighters, but it's found it's way in common fighting game jargon.

It feels so much more of an accomplishment to kick ass with Ragna or better yet Carl because you mastered the character despite said character needing a certain amount of execution and memorization. Fighting games like Blazblue are the pinnacle of gaming so excuse me if I laugh at complaints that such games are too complicated. It is pretty much this generation's chess on a high speed scale. You account for your enemy's strengths and weaknesses on both the character and how the character is being played. Dumbing it down because someone wants a simplier experience is exactly what is wrong with FPS and Beat em ups today.

I'm not particularly awesome at playing Blazblue or any Arc System's fighter, but I think of it as a chess match on a different board with different pieces. No one knows the rules and strategies of chess when you first play, but give it time, you can be adept at it and then maybe you'll be pulling off combos in your sleep.

I consider myself pretty poor at fighters, I can never land the special I want 100% of the time despite knowing what combination I need to use. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's my timing which I kind of discovered last night in training mode. I probably spent 2 hours in training mode last night doing the same combination over and over again trying to perfect it, and I'm pretty close to nailing it now, I just have one move that I fuck up on, I guess with the number system it looks like 236236D (I guess I dunno), I fuck it up every time!

But to me, when you win a match after putting the time and effort into the game it can be so satisfying, I lost 14 rounds in a row online in BlazBlue, and one win made me feel like a god. tongue.png

Edit: And that combo I was having trouble with, just nailed it twice lol.

Edited by Noel Vermillion

To be fair, the keypad notation is kInd of hard to understand if don't play fighters like that. If you told somebody to perform a super with 632146D they'd probably look at you like you were speaking another language.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, the keypad notation is kInd of hard to understand if don't play fighters like that. If you told somebody to perform a super with 632146D they'd probably look at you like you were speaking another language.

Yeah I was EXTRA confused. Then again after looking at Carbo's post I figured out it must be computer controls ( as odd as that sounds ). I'm just used to writing QCF, QCB, HCB etc etc. Playing fighters on the keys, does it control any different? What's the fav mode of play for you and others? Pad, stick, or keys? I only had one arcade stick, but it was stolen.

Yeah I was EXTRA confused. Then again after looking at Carbo's post I figured out it must be computer controls ( as odd as that sounds ). I'm just used to writing QCF, QCB, HCB etc etc. Playing fighters on the keys, does it control any different? What's the fav mode of play for you and others? Pad, stick, or keys? I only had one arcade stick, but it was stolen.

Actually it's just normal stick controls modeled after a number pad, I've rarely seen anybody play with one.

I use to be confused to ALL HELL as well when people used the number pad notations for commands. I still find myself saying Quarter-Cricle forward/back, Half-circle forward/back, DP and etc. all the time. Only time I use the number notations is online and usually when talking about games like BB since they have commands like half-circle back> forward, which I find is easier to just type "632146" and it's easier to understand when talking to someone who knows about the numbers. When talking about Capcom fighters, I usually just type QCF/B and etc.

I use a pad, mainly the ps2/3 controller. I'm trying to get stick down though

• Thumbs Up 1

I use to be confused to ALL HELL as well when people used the number pad notations for commands. I still find myself saying Quarter-Cricle forward/back, Half-circle forward/back, DP and etc. all the time. Only time I use the number notations is online and usually when talking about games like BB since they have commands like half-circle back> forward, which I find is easier to just type "632146" and it's easier to understand when talking to someone who knows about the numbers. When talking about Capcom fighters, I usually just type QCF/B and etc.

I use a pad, mainly the ps2/3 controller. I'm trying to get stick down though

You truely do learn something new everyday. I seriously didn't know they made sticks with number pads. I thought the numbers were random until Carbo explained them, I was all " Wait what those aren't just placeholders cause people didn't want to type QCF and DP with a HCB, FCB?" So yeah I feel like a goof. I'm also on pad ( PS3 controller ) I miss my arcade stick.

You truely do learn something new everyday. I seriously didn't know they made sticks with number pads. I thought the numbers were random until Carbo explained them, I was all " Wait what those aren't just placeholders cause people didn't want to type QCF and DP with a HCB, FCB?" So yeah I feel like a goof. I'm also on pad ( PS3 controller ) I miss my arcade stick.

Yeah, that Sol Badguy picture would be easier to understand if it was also lined with arrows along with the numbers in my opinion XD.

Funny thing too... I have a somewhat cheaper, but effective stick... but I haven't found the time to sit down and fully learn or become familiar with stick yet. Only reason why I even picked one up was because I use to go to the Break (an arcade in NJ) a lot and I wanted to be familiar with stick so playing SSFIV:AE and Third Strike wouldn't be as hard there. I find myself goofing up too much on those sticks and usually the goof ups result in me losing my match.

Not to mention that I'm horrible at using my fingers individually on stick and I have to keep looking down to place my fingers back to the right buttons less I find myself pressing MP instead of LP and etc.

Using a stick takes getting used to, and its definitely harder to learn a game with it than using a controller, but it generally yields better results as you can get a long more done using all five fingers as opposed to just your thumb. That's just me though, everyone has their preferences so use whatever feels better.

Something I thought was amusing when I was reading, earlier in the topic, the argument about the number of buttons that should be used for a fighter.

Okay, so everyone can agree that Smash Bros. has a very simple control scheme, right? Let's think about how many buttons it uses, though.

The basics are simple: a control stick, a button for standard attacks, and a button for special attacks.

Beyond this, there's the shield button, which is necessary because four players can battle at once and backing away from one player usually means moving toward another.

Furthermore, while jumping can be done by pressing up, any Smash player worth their while uses the jump button instead/as well. This is due to the difficulty of preforming certain moves (like short hop directed aerial attacks) using only the analog stick.

We also have the separate grab button. While shield-grabbing is what the game would prefer that you do, at times the grab button is absolutely necessary (like when you want to grab out of a dash or reverse-grab).

Finally, we have the C-stick. Using the C-stick is also necessary for a good Smash Bros. player because, more than just being a quick shortcut to the character's smash attacks, it also allows you to do moves that are difficult (using an up-smash immediately out of a dash—try doing it with Sonic) to impossible (using a back-aerial while moving forward or vice-versa) to do otherwise.

At final count, to make the most out of Smash Bros. you need to use five buttons and two control sticks. That actually sounds more complicated than Street Fighter's one-stick-six-buttons setup, even though Smash is clearly the simpler game.

Basically my point is that the number of buttons a fighter uses affects its complexity less than you'd think—a game's level of complexity likely has more to do with how intuitive the controls are than anything.

So far I've found the fightstick to be more comfortable for me. I have big hands and this just feels so much better. Despite that, it is taking some getting used to. I do like the clicky sound it make to let me know what position it's in though. tongue.png

Also noticing, I'm moving away from randomly pressing buttons and thinking more about stringing combos together.

Edited by Noel Vermillion