Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed: Discussion about Sonic the Werehog

scourgeandfionafan123

welcome to the first sonic unleashed thread where we show our love for anything involving this game. Today's thread will show love and support for the awesome and amazing, sonic the werehog with his amazing fuzzy fur.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it could've been done well, but it wasn't.

Make him much faster and lose the stretchy arms. Less painful platforming with bad controls, more fun combat (FUN combat) and more Adventure-like platforming.

EDIT: Yeah, should've been Knuckles.

Edited by Billionaire Playboy Wario

I actually did enjoy the Werehog gameplay somewhat. Although that's probably just because I love hack n slash type games. The platforming bits he had were ok. But really, the Werehog should have just been Knuckles without the stretchy arms.

Here's what I'm wondering though. How does Sonic Transforming into the Werehog suddenly give his shoes cleats?

Werehog.png

Man that model is just so gorgeous. Unleashed really did have some amazing visuals.

Edited by Mephiles550
  • Thumbs Up 4

I would have liked his gameplay more if he played like the game Ristar in 2D.

Edited by Law

This is a some what Biased Opinion, as Unleashed WAS the first Sonic game I played that I truly loved, I enjoyed the Werehog stages a lot more than a lot of people would. Sure, It was flawed (Really slow, could have been replaced by Knuckles) but it was still enjoyable....it just doesn't feel right in a sonic game. But back to why I like it, I just find it fun to go and destroy almost everything in your path. You tell me it's not fun to go and smash your way through Windmill Island or Dragon road? I also found the controls...rather decent for a fighter/hack n' Slash. Could it have been replaced by Knuckles? Absolutely! I would have paid MORE to even have that as a DLC option, as it would have been a better DLC than what we got.

Well, some minor changes I would have done to the Werehog include:

1. Make it so he can use his melee attacks while he is moving.

2. Make his dash activate automatically when he moves at top speed.

The more major changes to make his tactics more Sonic like and a little speedier:

1. When he grabs a solid object (like a pole), instead of simply flying towards it like he normally does, make it so you can walk backwards while grabbing the object until it reaches max stretch limit, and then you can let go of the pole to fling yourself forwards. Basically, have his arms act like a slingshot under the right conditions.

2. When he is in the air, you can tap the jump button to make him do a helicopter esque thing with his arms (hey it's certainly more useful than just a double jump).

3. When he falls down from midair and lands on a slope, he automatically rolls into a ball, letting him gain some speed. You can press an attack button to make him stop and throw out a double punch.

I hope that made sense. There will definitely have to be changes to the level design of course to match the new gameplay mechanics.

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

The gameplay would've been automatically better if the Werehog was reskinned as Knuckles? That's character bias of the most blatant and silliest kind.

Oh well. I sure as fuck would've liked it more.

Oh well. I sure as fuck would've liked it more.

And completely derail the plot in the process, since the Werehog is PART OF THE PLOT (though the resolution probably could have been expanded on).

The gameplay would've been automatically better if the Werehog was reskinned as Knuckles?

QUOTE WHERE I SAID THIS. Seriously, when the FUDGE did I ever say that? That's a grand assumption to make, jeez.

And completely derail the plot in the process, since the Werehog is PART OF THE PLOT (though the resolution probably could have been expanded on).

And just like the plot was organized to fit the Werehog, it could've been organized to fit Knuckles into the plot without making him appear to be shoehorned in. Edited by Extruder

QUOTE WHERE I SAID THIS. Seriously, when the FUDGE did I ever say that? That's a grand assumption to make, jeez.

Your statement "Should have been Knuckles" implies it would have been better somehow if the Werehog was Knuckles, even though it would have changed nothing in terms of gameplay mechanics. Not to mention it would mean the story would need to be changed to match this reskinning.

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 5

The gameplay would've been automatically better if the Werehog was reskinned as Knuckles? That's character bias of the most blatant and silliest kind.

It may have been a bias opinion but that would have given Knuckles a reason to show up again as a main character and not a side hoe. Anything the werehog did, knuckles could have done and better. Screw double jumping or the awkward platforming areas, Knuckles could have just glided over the stuff and kept on trotting til the end of each level.

Anyways, the werehog did it's purpose, act as a gimmick to one of sonic's strongest games in the past 5 years.

I don't see this topic lasting very long.

Edited by Eternal X

I loved Unleashed. The game had a great atmosphere and you could tell the dev team put their soul into it. It also has one of the best soundtracks, and the World Adventure main theme is worthy of the finest orchestra.

-ahem-

The planet breaking apart and the Chaos Emeralds losing their power causes insane stress on the Master Emerald, dropping Angel Island into the depths of the planet instead of the sea (because it was over a fault). The Master Emerald keeps the island safe while bathed in lava, but only for a little while. Knuckles just barely escapes the plummeting island, ending up in Mazuri, where he and Sonic eventually meet. The two team up to restore the Chaos Emeralds and save the planet and Angel Island.

Dark Gaia's influence on Sonic could be removed with nothing of value lost.

• Thumbs Up 2

Your statement "Should have been Knuckles" implies it would have been better somehow if the Werehog was Knuckles, even though it would have changed nothing in terms of gameplay mechanics. Not to mention it would mean the story would need to be changed to match this reskinning.

When I said it should have been Knuckles, that means it should've been Knuckles. A skin swap doesn't even apply, Knuckles doesn't have stretchy arms or anything like that. When I say Knuckles I mean KNUCKLES, but whatevs.

-ahem-

The planet breaking apart and the Chaos Emeralds losing their power causes insane stress on the Master Emerald, dropping Angel Island into the depths of the planet instead of the sea (because it was over a fault). The Master Emerald keeps the island safe while bathed in lava, but only for a little while. Knuckles just barely escapes the plummeting island, ending up in Mazuri, where he and Sonic eventually meet. The two team up to restore the Chaos Emeralds and save the planet and Angel Island.

Other than the part where Sonic's willpower is what keeps him from going crazy like everyone else, so the dark gaia energy changed his physical capabilities instead.

-ahem-

That actually sounds pretty neat, would've taken this over the werewolf gimmick.

Other than the part where Sonic's willpower is what keeps him from going crazy like everyone else, so the dark gaia energy changed his physical capabilities instead.

Never once stated in-game. BARELY hinted.

Oh, Sonic's really willful? Not like that's been a dominant character trait for the last 20 years. Like I said, nothing of value lost.

Never once stated in-game. BARELY hinted.

Oh, Sonic's really willful? Not like that's been a dominant character trait for the last 20 years. Like I said, nothing of value lost.

DURING THE CUTSCENE AFTER CHIP FINDS OUT HE'S LIGHT GAIA!

DURING THE CUTSCENE AFTER CHIP FINDS OUT HE'S LIGHT GAIA!

Oops. Well, okay.

/beatingdeadhorsenothingofvalueislost

Would've much preferred playing up the Sonic/Knuckles rivalry, them constantly wanting to outdo the other. Knuckles would show genuine concern for his home and the Master Emerald, leading to some touching friendship "Everything's gonna be okay, bro" moments for them.

Plus, it's fucking Knuckles. FUCKING. KNUCKLES.

Edited by Billionaire Playboy Wario

I like the Werehog. It wasn't done perfectly, but I liked it.

My favorite part was the platforming. It wasn't traditional Sonic platforming, it came from GoD or DMC, or in SEGA cases, Ristar thanks to the arms. While the beat-em up aspect had a lot of attacks and combos, it is a button masher, and does get stale after a while.

There's a lot to level up on the Werehog, so it's going to take you a while if you're a completionist.

The design for him is awesome, IMO. The jazz theme, while I like jazz, I don't think it felts the Werehog. At all.

I would've preferred heavy metal. Overall, I did like the Werehog. :P

• Thumbs Up 1