Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed: Discussion about Sonic the Werehog

scourgeandfionafan123

From a story perspective and Design perspective, I loved the thing! I loved how they executed Sonic's personality in this form, showing a darker side of Sonic we barely see. The do I need a reason cut-scene pretty much became my favorite Sonic scene/werehog scene ever! Sadly we won't see him again. Gameplay wise...Ehh mostly it's been said but there is so much done wrong that they could have avoided had they not taken the speed aspect out.

Here's an idea: Let's turn Sonic into a werewolf! No- wait- a wereHOG! Oh, and he can smash up bad guys using his stretchy arms! The werehog was an absolutely ridiculous concept. And I absolutely love it.

From the

leading up to Sonic Unleashed's E3 showcase, to the
painstakingly worked on by SEGA's animation studio, you can just tell there was so much effort and innocent love put into the concept. While the werehog is used as an exploration of the "dark side" of Sonic's character, it never presented itself in the same "dark an edgy" way that made ShTH and Sonic '06 so off-putting. Where you'd expect feral thrashing, biting and tons of angst, you got stretchy arms, whimsical cartwheels and self-aware humour. It was a breath of fresh air. The werehog is simply endearing, silly, and as such, just plain fun. I can't help but love him.

And obligatory:

Z3LB7.gif

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 7

Oops. Well, okay.

/beatingdeadhorsenothingofvalueislost

Would've much preferred playing up the Sonic/Knuckles rivalry, them constantly wanting to outdo the other. Knuckles would show genuine concern for his home and the Master Emerald, leading to some touching friendship "Everything's gonna be okay, bro" moments for them.

Plus, it's fucking Knuckles. FUCKING. KNUCKLES.

Well, I suppose if they could do that, I probably wouldn't mind as much.

Well, I suppose if they could do that, I probably wouldn't mind as much.

In fact, in this scenario, the Werehog would've been a cool boss for Knuckles. :V

Oh, Sonic's really willful? Not like that's been a dominant character trait for the last 20 years. Like I said, nothing of value lost.

Er, yes it has been.

Sonic's determination to stop Eggman doing whatever he wants is will. The notion of not consigning himself to 'fate' and looking for a way out of Eggman explosive trap is will to live. The act of not being doubtful is will. Chip mentioning Sonic's ability to not doubt himself or give in to darkness is a blatant depiction of immense willpower at work. And then there's the fact that he got beaten to within an inch of his life and got up every single time because he's standing up for what he believes in rather than acting out of chivalry. That some potent willpower.

The way the entire form was pulled-off in respect to Sonic's character was admirable.

Another thing is that the Werehog form wasn't a farfetched thing either. Form-changing through energy absorption is now an established ability of Sonic's. So if Werehog form is an idea ST pulled out of their asses without rhyme or reason then Sonic's 9 forms in Colours are equally guilty because they abide by the exact same mechanics.

• Thumbs Up 4

Er, yes it has been.

I just hit a sarcasm home run, because it went right over your head.

Enigmatus was saying that a scene displaying Sonic's indominatable will would be lost. I say that's nothing of value, because that's already cemented well within the character's personality.

Werehog SUCKED. It didn't feel like Sonic gameplay at all. Sonic shouldn't be only platforming(which is what the werehog was), it should have speed as well. One of the reasons why SU is terrible is because the game has to separate the speed(daytime stages) and platforming(nightime stages) while the classics didn't.While the daytime stages suffered from ''boost to win'', the Werehog stages went to far in the other extreme.

Werehog sucks. Fact.

SU sucks. Fact.

Edited by Trufax

The Werehog was all right. The first couple of levels were fine, but then it became more tiresome as the levels grew longer. I also never got a satisfying feeling when I attacked the enemies. It felt like I was slapping them silly. A sound effect with a nice impact would've given you the feeling that you really have become this powerful creature that can beat the hell out of whatever stands in it's way.

I will say though that the jazz was sooooooooo goooooood...

Edited by BrainJolt

I just hit a sarcasm home run, because it went right over your head.

Enigmatus was saying that a scene displaying Sonic's indominatable will would be lost. I say that's nothing of value, because that's already cemented well within the character's personality.

...And there's nothing wrong with showing it again especially in this manner. No game before has played with Sonic's head and emotions and his willpower in quite the same way as Werehog form did because the very effects of Werehog form was deeply profound upon Sonic's body. He can't run as fast and is forced to shake-up his fighting style and Dark Gaia's influence no doubt has a small effect at the absolute minimum on his mannerisms and behaviour despite his willpower keeping the most negative effects at bay.

It made for an absolutely fascinating bit of character expansion without outright betraying what was already there. We know Sonic has a short temper (Allegedly. The manual profiles love to consistently get this trait across despite it rarely being shown in game) but Gaia's influence and possibly frustration at his new body's slowness made his temper convincingly worser and shorter, resulting in his savagery, easy irritability and propensity for even throwing childish temper tantrums (See NOTW in which Baker's taunting sends Sonic so over the edge that he starts lashing out at everything around him without regard to the fact that it leaves him wide open to attack).

And yet for all that ramping-up of Sonic's apparent biggest shortcoming if you take into account that the manuals love putting it across so much by the form's nature, the form was a clever way of playing with Sonic's personality.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 2

Werehog SUCKED. It didn't feel like Sonic gameplay at all. Sonic shouldn't be only platforming(which is what the werehog was), it should have speed as well. One of the reasons why SU is terrible is because the game has to separate the speed(daytime stages) and platforming(nightime stages) while the classics didn't.While the daytime stages suffered from ''boost to win'', the Werehog stages went to far in the other extreme.

Werehog sucks. Fact.

SU sucks. Fact.

Opinions bro, opinions.

The werehog is already my favorite form of bad genre roulette as it was the one where I could get enjoyment and entertainment out of.

But I definitely appreciate it as a character more.

The Werehog was a retarded idea. I'd go as far to say the worst idea in the series. Simply reskinning the Werehog to Knuckles and speeding up the gameplay with Knuckles signature moves would have made that side of the gameplay so much better.

Werehog sucks. Fact.

SU sucks. Fact.

Can you please quit with saying "Fact", or "true facts" in every of your posts? It's frankly getting annoying, and you shouldn't put your opinions across as fact.
  • Thumbs Up 6

The Werehog was a retarded idea. I'd go as far to say the worst idea in the series. Simply reskinning the Werehog to Knuckles and speeding up the gameplay with Knuckles signature moves would have made that side of the gameplay so much better.

Once again, no it wouldn't. The nature of the Werehog means that it is predominantly combat based, so even if you did get Knuckles reskinned over the Werehog, it wouldn't change the fact that the gameplay is radically different from Sonic's gameplay. Secondly, the level design was made with the Werehog in mind, so it's filled with mobs and slow puzzle elements, something Knuckles can easily avoid due to his gliding and climbing abilities. You would have to change the entire level of every night stage to accommodate.

If anything, the only result of simply reskinning the Werehog for Knuckles would only fuel the fire that Sonic's friends are shit, something we really don't need more of.

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 6

Werehog sucks. Fact.

SU sucks. Fact.

Free advice when you list your views as fact no one will take your post seriously. And the daytime stages suffered from alot more than boost to win. Like the idiotic idea to map the homing attack and boost to the same button for example.

I like the atmosphere of Unleashed, but I hate playing the game.

About the werehog, they made the levels too g**damn long, especially the later ones. 20 minute levels are BS. I admit, there was some good platform moments, but making you defeat each and every enemy just so you can continue the level (I'm referring to those sections where there are about a dozen enemies in a 'room' with a forcefield blocking the exit. It is even worse later on when not only are there a dozen or so to start out, but then there are 3-4 waves of a dozen enemies. I remember Arid Sands the most for this...)

I like the atmosphere of Unleashed, but I hate playing the game.

About the werehog, they made the levels too g**damn long, especially the later ones. 20 minute levels are BS. I admit, there was some good platform moments, but making you defeat each and every enemy just so you can continue the level (I'm referring to those sections where there are about a dozen enemies in a 'room' with a forcefield blocking the exit. It is even worse later on when not only are there a dozen or so to start out, but then there are 3-4 waves of a dozen enemies. I remember Arid Sands the most for this...)

I would say that they should have made a lot of the Werehog's earliest battle techniques in his combat (Levels 1 - 20) part of his base movepool. If anything they give him more versatility and mobility and would have made the earlier levels a bit more bearable.

Edited by Enigmatus

I always felt the popularity of the "make the Werehog into Knuckles" suggestion speaks a lot more about how underrated the competence of the Werehog's gameplay is than it does of its offensiveness, because if the gameplay was really as awful as I'm supposed to believe down at the core then a reskin would've never saved it. We hear this excuse all the time with Sonic 06: nothing could save something so fundamentally horrible. Granted, I think character bias would've come into play to make Unleashed's design easier to swallow if they used Knuckles, as did Sonic 4 being named Sonic 4 and being 2D saved that game from complete critical mutilation; but regardless, the fact that Knuckles even enters the conversation in this manner is more telling of the ridiculous hyperbole surrounding ultimately-average gameplay than it is of Sega's idea.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Just, if you will, right alongside me, make the Werehog, medal collecting and complex hub worlds and mission filler disappear.

*snip*

What do you have left?

Shitty boost gameplay?

I mean I get your point, Unleashed does obviously have a lot of effort put into it, and a lot of it was to the game's benefit, but they seriously dropped the ball when it came to the gameplay, and that's the most important part.

We simply need to agree to disagree here. I know that this is not the definitive Sonic gameplay experience... but then again, I also believe that this is the most fun I've had with Sonic since Sonic & Knuckles, and I do truly mean that... and I don't think I'm the only one.

I respect that you don't like it (and understand why) and that you want it to be something else, and honestly, if it changed I don't think I would mind - but I can never agree to the notion that it's as terrible as you have consistently claimed it to be over the years.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 6

I think the main point there is that we're putting the gameplay in a subjective POV rather than an objective one, thus leaving the idea of the game to if it's fun or not. Look at it this way: it was fast, it was a platformer, it was frantic, it was controllable, it obeyed the laws of physics, and it was polished. That's a lot more to say for itself rather than for anything before it in 3D. Even with me enjoying SA1's gameplay style a decent bit more than the current one, that all still stands.

• Thumbs Up 5

Umm.....Werehog had a cool design.

Thats all I can say positivley, this is an Unleashed topic afterall.

it was a platformer
Pff, barely. You can add "linear" and "shallow" to the list, too.

We get it man, you don't like the gameplay, I dont think this is the topic to hear it for the umpteenth time.