Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed: Discussion about Sonic the Werehog

scourgeandfionafan123

I guess "bland crap that left no impression whatsoever" is a better description.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually find most of the Night themes just as enjoyable if not more so than their daytime counterparts, especially Rooftop Run Night which managed the feat of making an accordion an enjoyable, funky instrument, and Arid Sands Night, which makes me reminisce a little bit about Michael Giacchino's jazz tracks on The Incredibles. Cool Edge Night is a great song too, but I think it's come to retain Ice Cap-like status in that in overshadows some genuinely good songs that aren't mentioned nearly as often.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Imagine if they played it straight as with nearly everything in the game before.

Brrr...I don't think I wanna think about it...

But then after such clearly unintentionally narmtastic and Sonic-disrespecting travesties as ShTH and '06, I have honestly wondered whether or not the non-serious, funny and whimsical nature of the Werehog and his abilities were a statement Sonic Team wanted to make to get across that they were embracing lighthearted tones again and were washing their hands of the brand of "darker and edgier" ShTH and '06 had in droves.

Paid off marvelously if this is indeed the case if you ask me.

How does that sound like "Bland Crap?" I hear culture when I hear this. I hear the exotic nature of the different country's. Other mentions:Rooftop run and Cool edge.

Right, because when you think Sonic, you think culture.

1. That kinda was the point of Unleashed......

2. Doesn't explain how it sounds like bland crap.

How is that relevant to your notion that the music is bland crap? xP

Edited by Nepenthe

Uh, yeah, you DO think culture. Levels in sonic have been based on real locations since the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I think Sonic, I think music that gets you pumped up, music that makes you feel excited. None of the Werehog themes made me feel that.

Also, yeah, Sonic Unleashed was set in different parts of the world, so they used "culture". Doesn't mean it needs to put me to sleep.

Then again, you hardly ever hear the goddamn themes in game since you're fighting 90% of the time. So maybe hearing the battle theme so fucking much just got on my nerves.

Edited by Sulkia-Kun

Sonic Songs have generally always been about matching the nature of the game.

Adventure 2 was rock oriented.

Heroes was bouncy and lighthearted.

Shadow was gritty and "HARDCORE".

Sonic 06 was trying to be epic and orchestral.

Sonic Unleashed was epic, orchestral, and based on culture.

Colors was light and bouncy, even more so that Heroes I would argue.

Generations was a mishmash due to the nature of the story.

If you took away the music and replaced it with something that doesn't match the nature of the game, just for the sake of "it isn't Sonic like enough", you ruin the atmosphere the game is trying to convey.

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I think Sonic, I think music that gets you pumped up, music that makes you feel excited. None of the Werehog themes made me feel that.

Also, yeah, Sonic Unleashed was set in different parts of the world, so they used "culture". Doesn't mean it needs to put me to sleep.

Then again, you hardly ever hear the goddamn themes in game since you're fighting 90% of the time. So maybe hearing the battle theme so fucking much just got on my nerves.

Again what? This doesn't put me to sleep. Seems pretty lively.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sa2 is nowhere near gritty with It's amount of rock not to mention cheesy with its rap and jazz tunes. Sonic 06 only had a few orchestral tunes, the rest of the music is pretty standard.

Sa2 is nowhere near gritty with It's amount of rock not to mention cheesy with its rap and jazz tunes. Sonic 06 only had a few orchestral tunes, the rest of the music is pretty standard.

I said Sonic 06 was TRYING to, I didn't say it succeeded in that regard.

Now compare that to day:

...Okay, Dragon Road is a bad example of Night/Day comparison lol.

Edited by Sulkia-Kun

Okay? It has more of a adrenaline speed focus during the daytime. That was kinda the point of the day levels. To feel faster than the night. Doesn't mean that the night version had no livelyness or excitement going on. plus what dio said.:P

Most of Sonic's music is intended to fit the theme of the level or the current story points rather than convey a consistently fast-paced tone, tunes which I feel are reserved more so for bosses and Special Stages instead, such as with For True Story or Heroes' Special Stage theme. But there's so many genres and tones in play in this series that I don't think you can stereotype it all easily as music made for the sole purpose of getting you pumped. "Quirky" might be a more apt descriptor, but then again even that's dependent upon the games you choose.

But this is all regardless of the elephant in the room; why in the world would you have fast-paced, happy, Japanese super fun time music for slower, more traditionally-platforming oriented stages that take place at night anyway?

• Thumbs Up 1

What do I love about Sonic Unleashed? Well that's a hard question considering I hate nearly fucking everything in this game...

Well, the game does have some impressive graphics, and while I would've preferred more fantasy-ish (is that the right word?) setttings like Sonic Colors has compared to the more realistic ones Unleashed has, I'll admit that the aesthetics and general art direction is very pretty and immersive on top of that in both daytime and night.

As for the Werehog specifically, I think he looks adorable; especially when he runs on all fours.

Now the current music discussion; I personally felt Unleashed was pretty bland in that department overall. Nothing really stood out to me.

Edited by Pinkamina

Nigga u so crazy.

I'd say Dragon road is a bad comparison example.

Arid Sands is probably the only level where I like the Night music better.

I need to play Unleashed again.

The were-hog helped the game in a way while hurting it in another.

For starters, the amount of boredom and frustration from it enhanced the more fluid qualities of the day-stages.

If the were-hog was not in the game there wouldn't have been all that much day-stage love.

Windmill Isle: Day

Rooftop Run: Equal

Jungle Joyride: Night

Cool Edge: Equal

Dragon Road: Day

Arid Sands: Night

Skyscraper Scamper: Equal

Eggmanland: Day

My rankings on the music.