Awoo.

Nintendo Power Magazine to Cease Publication

Jeffhog

Not a part of my childhood, although I did read it sometimes when I got the chance. Still sad to see yet another long-runner magazine bites the dust. *sigh*

I wonder how long it will be until PTOM and Xbox Magazine cease production as well, thanks to digital media?

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFan

Wow. This makes me feel old. Old. Huge shame too, because I used to buy their magazines every month before the prices skyrocketed.

Hell, I have a cardboard box filled with old issues that I bought at an estate sale to replace the ones I threw out as a teenager because my mother forced me to ( didn't get every one back, but I collected some others I never had.) Man, you used to have pride knowing that there was a publication out there for you, back before being a nerd was cool (and I'm not talking about National Geographic or Scientific American) and highly capitalized upon. And they had like the first strategy guides released on the market before they went mainstream - I have Final Fantasy and a couple of others stashed in my NP collection - complete with original art that the publisher created. I used to read those magazines, thinking "wow that game looks like shit" or "I want to play that game!"

And then we had the staple Nintendo comics, aside form Nester. Man, do I miss the Zelda, Mario and Star Fox mangas. How long has it been since we had a staple comic series that was not Pokemon nor Zelda?

Also this:

IMG.jpg

If you can't see it:

Yardley.jpg

Yeah. Wish I had the balls to send something in.

Edited by Scheming Minor

I remember when they used to have comics in the magazine.

2_463_623_90.jpg

Mario was such a dick to Wario.

Edited by Vampfox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guys, take a little time out to tweet the hashtag "#KeepNintendoPower" and show your support. may or may not help but at least they should know that theres a fanbase for this magazine out there that cares.

We should probably start a sort-of StCO version of Nintendo Power or something. It'll probably be the only way for now. *sigh*

The bargaining stage of grief is perhaps the worst.

My little brother had an original subscription to Nintendo Power that he (or rather my parents) kept up for years. Strange to think that I'm the one with the subscription that may include the final magazine published. I like the magazine, and a lot of the stuff in it doesn't turn up on the interenet - until someone copies it out of their issue. I detest any sort of online 'magazine'; they're a heck of a lot harder to read than a printed page, and tend to have a lot less info, and a lot more trolls burying any useful comments. Actually, Game Informer tends to read like an online mag in my experience, even the printed version. I really don't like that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, that means if I want to read a magazine with Nintendo stuff in it, I need to get Game Informer.

Fuck this

I detest any sort of online 'magazine'; they're a heck of a lot harder to read than a printed page, and tend to have a lot less info, and a lot more trolls burying any useful comments. Actually, Game Informer tends to read like an online mag in my experience, even the printed version. I really don't like that one.

Nintendo of America has confirmed the reports and stated that the December issue will be the last.

We can confirm that the December issue of Nintendo Power magazine will be its last. For subscription inquiries, visit: http://bit.ly/O2kCB8

https://twitter.com/...343959737425920

We welcome you to share your favorite Nintendo Power memories.

https://twitter.com/...344110585573379

December? The final issue will be published on December 21, 2012. It all makes sense now, the world is ending because of Nintendo Power!

• Thumbs Up 1

Somewhere, after the December issue, Viridi, the Goddess of Nature, as well as the Lorax, would be GLAD Nintendo Power is gone! You have any idea how many trees are used to make magazines? They'll be grateful for one less Physical Magazine on the news stands.

But technically, I think the December Issue is published BEFORE December. Unless they're doing this because of something. I mean, since I paid for a 12-Issue subscription, I expect Future to give me a 4-Month Refund!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

It's a real shame to see it go despite Nintendo Power not being the same after Nintendo stopped publishing it in-house and outsourced it instead. The magazine was a huge part of my childhood and growing up, I couldn't wait until the next issue came in the mail. I remember the little strategy guides that it had along with the cool artwork, the game giveaways and how you got a free strategy guide each time you renewed your subscription. I also remember the promo videos that were given out as well such as for Donkey Country, Nintendo 64, etc. I still have the very first issue along with a ton of other issues stored away.

As I got older, I slowly lost interest in Nintendo Power as I started going online for my gaming news since anything that I could find in Nintendo Power I could find online, My brother continued to read it for a while until eventually he lost interest as well and we stopped renewing altogether.

Farewell, Nintendo Power and thanks for all the memories!

Edited by Kevin

I wonder how large the final issue is going to be and what the features are? I'm guessing roughly around 200 pages or so.

Final issue is going to have Nester and Howard Phillips's big bowtie on the cover. I'm calling it.

• Thumbs Up 2

The final better not be just some regular issue thats for sure, it better be big! we have been loyal for 25+ years!! we deserve a good sendoff and not a lame one like Gamepros'.

Did NOA confirm or deny those "maybe NP will live on as a website" rumors?

I really started to hate Nintendo Power for their hatred of DKC characters and constant praise for Arcade DK. I remember how glad they were that the Kremlings were gone(this was the last straw and is what caused me to not renew my subscription). How much they would bashed Diddy Kong. How much they hated the character designs in the original trilogy stating they got worse in each new game" when commenting on DKC3.

And I also remember before DKCR a person wrote in hoping to see a new DKC game. NP's response? "We'd rather see a new arcade Donkey Kong game" or something like that.

NP died as soon as Future started publishing it. That's when the Rare bashing begin and I felt that NP was really out of line.

Edited by Vampfox

According to my calculations about the issues, a year's subscription costs $19.99, divided by 12 equals $1.66 per issue, and since I'm only getting 8 Issues, this time around, I'm expected to get $6.64 for compensation from Future.

My earliest subscription to Nintendo Power was back when Mario Kart Double Dash was still a new game. My sub only lasted 12 issues though.

Kinda makes me wanna pull out an issue for old times sake. Heck, I still got that Guild Wars Strategy Guide right underneath my NP pile.

• 2 weeks later...
2012-09-06-435-NintendoPower.jpg

Nostalgic, lengthy blog post ahoy, small fry!

I’ll admit–when I heard Nintendo Power was coming to an end, I was bummed out. To date, it’s still the only magazine I’ve ever had a subscription toand what a subscription indeed (I’ve pretty much had one come in every month since 1998)! Even today, in the age of the internet, I still greatly enjoy reading the magazine–Mr. T jokes and all–because it’s less about cutting-edge news and more about simply being entertained. I like their behind-the-scenes interviews with people like Sakurai and Michael Ancel (to name a couple recent ones), I like features like their ranking of the top Mario games (although Super Mario Bros. 1 should’ve been at the top), I even like their reviews. There’s no doubt that I’m going to miss the fun of reading a fresh Nintendo Power each month, and I hope that sentiment has been made clear enough in today’s comic.

So, Howard and Nester. For you younger fans, those of you who don’t dwell in the US, and/or those unfamiliar with NP, Howard and Nester were basically Nintendo Power’s mascots and the star of their own comic strip in the magazine (which ran for a handful of years). Howard was based on Howard Phillips, the president of Nintendo’s Fun Club and a renowned “game master,” while Nester was a fictional character–a smug hotshot who secretly needed Howard’s tips to get through most Nintendo games (although he’d never admit that). And while Howard Phillips left Nintendo and NP awhile ago, Nester stuck around a bit longer and even was featured in a couple of games: Nester’s Funky Bowling for the Virtual Boy, and as a playable character (albeit one named “Lark”) in PilotWings 64. Nester did cameo in a couple later issues–once as a college kid and later as a dad. But I thought going back to the basics for this tribute would be best, as this is how most of us remember him.

That’s your brief history lesson for today, but basically, I thought that making a final farewell strip to these two characters would be a nice way to send them off and pay tribute to all the entertainment Nintendo Power has given me. At the risk of sounding geeky, it was actually a little cathartic to work on this comic, and I tried hard to replicate the original strips’ art style (which is deceptively difficult to do!).

So thank you to Howard, Nester, and all the talented people at Nintendo of America, Future US Inc, and anyone who’s worked on Nintendo Power over the past 24 years. After all, it’s Nintendo Power that introduced me to EarthBound. Your magazine brought lots of fun over the years, and I look forward to the final issue this December!

-By Matthew

Brawl in the Family, Page 435 - Nintendo Power

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9DQBVRR

This is last survey Nintendo Power is doing. As you may know already, the magazine is coming to an end. Why not spend a couple minutes filling in some answers? I'm sure many of us all have had memories dealing with the magazine. You must have at least glimpsed at one issue or knew about the ongoing subscription service. Nintendo Power was a staple in a lot of our lives. I have about 30+ issues stacked in my drawer!

I thought it was kind of funny since one of the questions had an answer of changing the magazine to focus on Sonic and change the name to "SEGA VISIONS".

Let's have a toast.

To Nintendo Power.

Also, I'm gonna write a letter. It's always been my dream to have a letter published in the magazine. Looks like my chance is slipping away...

• Thumbs Up 1

I did a presentation about Nintendo Power a few weeks ago in my Magazine writing class. It was really sad that no one had heard of it (though there is a dude there that I'm sure has but didn't have the balls to admit it).

I also showed the AVGN video about the magazine.....got an A. I will forever remember you for this Nintendo Power.

• Thumbs Up 1

I first found out about Nintendo Power when I saw an issue with Sonic Colors featured on the front.

and of course I bought it

I'm gonna miss this magazine

Nintendo Power was a big part of my childhood. My brother had a subscription and we always enjoyed getting it in the mail. I'll miss it. =<

My brother didn't get the newsletter that preceded it, but he was a charter member of the magazine proper. Strange that I'm a member at the end of it.