Awoo.

RIP Nintendo Power 1988-2012

Speederino

nintendopower-640x863.png

This is a sad, sad day. Nintendo Power is officially ceasing publication by the end of this year.

I suppose it's been coming for a while. Ever since the internet rose to prominence, gaming magazines have been slowly dying out one by one. But Nintendo Power...that stings a bit. Now I won't lie, I haven't been a subscriber in years. There just isn't much use for gaming magazines in an era where gaming news and strategy guides can be found at the press of a button.

But this, to me, signifies the end of an era. For the gamers of the late 80's and most of the 90's, NP *was* the internet. This is what you picked up if you wanted to learn strategies and cheat codes. It's what you picked up just to learn about new Nintendo consoles and games. I mean fuck, Nintendo Power has literally been around my entire life! To see it go is somewhat like hearing your childhood friend will die from illness in the next few months.

Goodbye, old friend. We will never forget you.

• Thumbs Up 2