Awoo.

Your Thoughts On: Sonic The Fighters

Fun game that's really hard to master, I agree with Aqua Buster with the Super Sonic bit, getting Super Sonic in the final stage is near Impossible. Heck, getting to the final boss is and beating him is near impossible, timed match, WTH? Out of curiosity how many beat Metal only to lose to Eggman due to timeout? That's Cheap Eggy, that's cheap.

It's pretty boring.

It also doesn't seem to take much skill to beat it. Metal Sonic is completely broken and one time I beat him just by mashing all the buttons at the same time.

It's okay. Quite a strong level of difficulty. The music is quite nice. Has a good intro with elements from previous games. A fun game. It's just a fighting game where you can use the characters trademark moves. Not much more to say really.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I've watched playthroughs of this game on youtube and it looks hella fun. The dude playing it is an absolute pro and pulls off loads of awesome looking moves including my favorite: Sonic steals his opponents weapon and uses it against them. This is freaking hilarious especially when fighting Amy, he takes her hammer and bashes her pink head with it: 'stop looking through my trash you crazy stalker!' lol. The character animations are really cute and funny, it actually looks like Tails and Amy are shocked and hurt at getting beaten up by Sonic or that might just be my imagination. Will order Gems to play it myself.

The fact that by hacking I can make Eggman beat the living crap out of Sonic without any kind of mechanical gizmos is enough to make me come back to this game from time to time.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game....hmm.

Well it has to be one of the most poorly designed fighting games I've ever seen. Balance is all over the place (as The Cheese so eloquently put), there's very few options, there's almost no depth to the metagame, the large majority of character movesets feel very homogonized, there's very little breathing room for combo creativity, it's extremely shallow and overall the gameplay is a complete mess. Matches always, no matter how decent you are, always basically boil down to who can hit first and mash the best. Part of the reason for this is that it doesn't properly integrate defending. You have those 5 barriers which characters with a spindash can devour through like no man's business, meaning you're left without any way to defend yourself, and any decent fighting game player knows defence is just as important (if not moreso) than offense.

And yet despite how horribly flawed the gameplay is, I can't help but appreciate the little things it has to offer.

I like how Metal Sonic is the final boss (well excluding that little extra 10 second battle at the end), with a bunch of moves from different characters. He hit like a truck as well, but his hardest hitting attacks were also very punishable. A hard final boss, but not really annoyingly so. He didn't pull a "Bison" either (i.e. where the final boss starts out piss easy in the first round, luring you into a false sense of security then becomes obnoxious after that). Difficulty for him remains consistent in each round.

I absolutely love the art style and how wonderfully over the top and cartoony the animations are. Out of all the 3D Sonic games from right before 2006, it's probably the one that's aged the best because the animation quality is better than all the other ones (yes, an arcade game from the 90s has higher quality animations than the Saturn games, the Adventure games, Heroes, Shadow and 06) and has such a vivid, colourful art style. In addition, how can you not love how all the characters lose rings upon getting hit? Fits so perfectly into a Sonic fighting game.

Music's pretty tight too. I particularly like the themes of Aurora Icefield, Mushroom Hill and Super Sonic's theme. Quite a nice choice of instruments too, although a little samey considering every track in the game uses them in almost the same way.

And being able to play as Super Sonic if you beat everyone without losing a single round (including one round of Metal Sonic) was damn cool. I'd love just standing there in round 2 against Metal and laughing at how utterly powerless he had become. A real "where's your god now?" moment.

Also, lots of moves are really quite quirky, particularly the grabs. Grabbing Espio and yanking his tongue, or stealing Amy's hammer, Bean's bombs or Fang's popgun. Bark's grab where he turns you into a bowling ball and lands a strike. Bean's attack where he pecks you into submission. Espio's tongue suplex. Tails' airbourne drop. Lot's of cool and quirky character moves despite how much attack homoginization there is.

Overall, I've had fun with it due to how quirky it is. I'd like to see a sequel with a similar art style, a similar but expanded cast of characters (at least 20-25 please), a faster pace, many many more modes and actual good gameplay. You know, something at least up to the standard of current gen 3D fighters like Tekken and Soul Calibur but much brighter, more accessible and more over the top.

Edited by SiLeNt PyRrH0n
  • Thumbs Up 6

Ya know, being a fan of fighting games, I'm ashamed to say I haven't really played this game yet, I mean I've seen videos but I have no idea how it plays. I heard it's basically a Sonic virtua fighter.

I heard it's basically a Sonic virtua fighter.

Yeah, no surprise there; same people (AM2) developed both Virtua Fighter and Sonic the Fighters. It's even more akin to Fighting Vipers (again, same developers), down to the scrapped character of StF being a cat version of a Fighting Vipers character.

I like it, the cartoonish faces are pretty much one of the best things of the game. And the soundtrack, it's great, I like Canyon Cruise a lot. The gameplay is pretty decent, but most of the times it consist in mashing button. Oh yeah, Metal Sonic, I love you, but you and your grab can FUC** OFF.

Would like a real sequel too.

No love for the opening music? That was MY favourite of all the tracks.

This was what Metal Sonic was doing when he kidnapped Amy in CD. (Skip to 1:06)

Edited by Rainbow Ring
  • Thumbs Up 1

For sometime, I said Sonic the Fighters was a great spin off. Playing it again a few months later, this game is... alright, I guess?

I mean, there's not a whole lot to the fighting, and it is funny to see some comedic attacks, like Amy's distraction attack. The music is kick ass, and has this feel good beat to it. My personal favorites are Back to Soul, Fire Stone, and Never Let it Go. The graphics are good, considering it has 3D polygon graphics, which I think some games before it did. ^_^

It could be me, but the controls are a bit annoying to get used to. I mean, so many combos that you have to memorize, but I can't get the feel down for some of the moves. I guess it's the GameCube controller, or my horrible skill at fighting games. XD

The story mode was tough. It wasn't hard for the first three matches, but when Espio comes, it's a blood count. His flip count is irritating! Bean is a prick thanks to his rapid bomb spamming and beak attack, and Metal Sonic...

METAL SONIC CAN GO DIE IN A DITCH!

I mean, really. He's an irritating little cheater! He can kill you in one or two hits if he gets a strong attack in. It feels like God mode, and it's all about luck! angry.png

Other than that, it's an alright game. Nothing special, but nothing horrible either.

I quite like the graphic style (engine) for this game. It's a bit weird and takes getting used to, but there is no doubt that this feels like a Sonic game.

I never really heard much criticism of Fighters, I think it was received quite well.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

I like how the game contradicts Hunnid-P's Knuckles theme song: "Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle; I'd rather flex my musclles"

Well, he certainly chuckles in this game!

I always play as Bean the Dynamite on this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's...okay. I can play it for a few quick bouts, but beyond that it becomes tedious. As such, it's not one of my faves.

Highlights from a fangirl perspective include Espio having temper tantrums by sulking after a loss. About the only time you'll probably ever see him do that...if it's canon at all to his modern self. :/

I like how the game contradicts Hunnid-P's Knuckles theme song: "Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle; I'd rather flex my musclles"

Well, he certainly chuckles in this game!

I always play as Bean the Dynamite on this game.

Knuckles chuckled in Sonic 3. It was basically all he did in that game.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 6 months later...

Does anyone own this game on PS3? I've been looking for opponents for quite awhile. I really love this game.

PS3 name: Giza-Ru

I think Sonic the Fighters is an awesome game, they should totally make a sequel. 

Of course, with this gen graphics, new characters, etc.

That would be so cool.

I think Sonic the Fighters is an awesome game, they should totally make a sequel. 

Of course, with this gen graphics, new characters, etc.

That would be so cool.

I wouldnt entirely argue, however they should include Hi-def version of characters from the original as well(fang/Nack, Bean and bark)

• Thumbs Up 1

Stupid, pointless, repetitive, button-mashing fighter.

In other words, lots of fun.  I love it.  Simplistic gameplay, a great cast of characters, and a wonderful soundtrack.  Right up my alley when it comes to arcade games.

I think the colors and atmosphere that the backgrounds and stages have don't get enough credit. It really capture the essence that made Sonic games great in the early-mid 90s.

I wouldn't say the game was too repetitive or a button masher, unless you are just playing single player. In which case, mash away.

It's...okay. I can play it for a few quick bouts, but beyond that it becomes tedious. As such, it's not one of my faves.

Highlights from a fangirl perspective include Espio having temper tantrums by sulking after a loss. About the only time you'll probably ever see him do that...if it's canon at all to his modern self. :/

Espio used to be a hothead. Let's just say that between the genesis and dreamcast era, he went through some serious ninja training and became the silent disciplined chameleon he is today.

That's how it went in the comics.

Edited by tsz11

Meh, it was alright. Probably because I'm not really into fighting games though. =S It's very slow and gets tedious real quick.

Espio used to be a hothead. Let's just say that between the genesis and dreamcast era, he went through some serious ninja training and became the silent disciplined chameleon he is today.

That's how it went in the comics.

I'm aware of that, but he still didn't have tantrums in Knuckles Chaotix. 

Also in the games it's just that he got rebooted with a new personality. 

Edited by VEDJ-F