Awoo.

Your Thoughts On: Sonic The Fighters

It's alright. It's not one of my favorites, but it's not one of my least favorites either.

Nothing special from a critical perspective, but it did have wonderful soundtrack and is good for a laugh.

At this point I'm just hoping the re-release sold well so Sumo will be pushed towards making an All Stars fighter like they hinted at. Yes I bring this up a lot, but only because I want to be clear I'm not forgetting they mentioned it. :P

Who knows, maybe we could see Bark and Nack and all the rest again in a new fighting game... with the re-release, some people will actually have some clue who the heck they are.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the graphics and music in the game, but that can be said for most Sonic games. The game however is really easy, until Metal Sonic, that is. The cartoon-like animations really made the game feel more Sonic-y if that's a word. But the game itself doesn't last long. I only find joy when playing this with friends, but that only lasts around 10 minutes.

I think this game was awesome, I've always wanted a fighting game with Sonic Characters, if they made a new one with a little more of the SSBB style to it, I think it would turn out great.

By the way, Metal Sonic was kind of hard.

It'd be frustrating when I'd make it through all the levels, and finally make it to the Death Egg II, hoping to get Metal Sonic on the first round so I could be Super Sonic, and he'd beat me instead. Talk about a bummer! 

But, I think the first time anyone gets to be Super Sonic in Sonic the Fighters is a very rewarding feeling.

Also, on of my favorite Sonic related Soundtracks is from this game, Death Egg's Eye. Amazing, don't think I could say more about it!

This game's pretty nifty I think.

Now don't get me wrong, it's actually not that great, and could even be considered bad. But hey, I still think it's pretty fun, even it's it's nothing to special...

Also Metal Sonic can go die.

Never played it, but this game has one of my favorite soundtracks in the series. I can't really see myself getting a lot of mileage out of it though; it reminds me of Sonic R: Fighting Edition or something in how both games seem to last for all of 10 minutes and then you've seen all there is. I guess in Fighters's case it makes sense since it was an arcade title, but I've never been compelled to pick it up during one of its few re-releases. But yeah the music is really kick-ass.

It makes sense that Metal Sonic is so enormously cheap, since he's the Perfect Cell of the franchise in this game. He takes all the best of each character's technique and melds it into one harmonious whole. He's exactly as he's envisioned in every other continuity: the ultimate fighting machine, capable of taking down Sonic and all his friends, just as Sonic himself is capable of taking down Eggman and all his creations.

...yes he's still a very cheap boss, but there is some romantic merit to it. The fact you prevail against such overwhelming odds just makes victory all the sweeter, and illustrates the ideal of heroes always emerging victorious no matter how badly the deck is stacked against them.

if you can ever get to it, I still have never managed to get all the chaos emeralds :(

if you can ever get to it, I still have never managed to get all the chaos emeralds sad.png

Don't you get the emeralds just by smacking the crap out of the other enemies?

Which isn't too difficult, even if some battles are really, really grating. Nack's popgun is the spawn of Satan, and Tails has an annoying tendency to keep pulling you into the sky and dropping you back down. We can see where Silver studied how to defeat Sonic for his battle in 06.

uh, no I meant in sonic heroes, with its very annoying soecial stage

Games way too simplistic, even for an arcade game. You can beat the game with Sonic by just mashing the punch button. Yeah they give you a variety of moves, but what's the point if there's this effective strategy of just mashing one single button. It's the stereotype of the fighting game genre. Though to be fair, they did promote that the game had a simplistic fighting system on one of the banners.

Games way too simplistic, even for an arcade game. You can beat the game with Sonic by just mashing the punch button. Yeah they give you a variety of moves, but what's the point if there's this effective strategy of just mashing one single button. It's the stereotype of the fighting game genre. Though to be fair, they did promote that the game had a simplistic fighting system on one of the banners.

Had things gone a bit differently, maybe Sonic would have had his own line of Smash Bros.-esque titles; Smash Bros. likewise was built on the idea of a very simple gameplay model. Unfortunately Fighters just didn't have the market that Nintendo did.

Well there's always the hope for Sumo Entertainment to make a modern game that's far, far better than Fighters was. The good thing about mistakes is that you can learn from them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Sonic Championship, it's a fun and addicting game with a simplistic fighting style that anyone can pick up and play. However, the game IS really easy, but that's my only con (I'm easily impressed with fighting games, by the way).

The only thing that promotes that is the bad AI, not the game mechanics by themselves.

Personally I would rather have another Sonic fighting game along the lines of StF with a few tweeks than some smash bros rip off.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Sega is the master of the classic 18-way fighter, they should be able to make a sequel to sonic the fighters

I think I can go as far to say that this game deserves a sequel. 

Maybe not a direct "Sonic the Fighters 2", but a Sonic fighting game in STF's style that differs it from Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros.

Maybe not a direct "Sonic the Fighters 2", but a Sonic fighting game in STF's style that differs it from Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros.

Many expected that Playstation All Stars Battle Royale would be a Smash Bros. clone, but it surprisingly wasn't, and had a very, very different means of play.

Logically if Sumo Entertainment (most likely and they did hint at wanting to make one sometime) did develop a fighting game, I'm confident they'd be able to find some way that would make it stand out. The company's made two wonderful racing games, so I'm sure they could always do well in another genre if they felt the need.

For an April Fools' prank they should have announced Sonic the Fighters... Sumo Edition. Made by Sumo, and featuring all the characters as sumo wrestlers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many expected that Playstation All Stars Battle Royale would be a Smash Bros. clone, but it surprisingly wasn't, and had a very, very different means of play.

Logically if Sumo Entertainment (most likely and they did hint at wanting to make one sometime) did develop a fighting game, I'm confident they'd be able to find some way that would make it stand out. The company's made two wonderful racing games, so I'm sure they could always do well in another genre if they felt the need.

For an April Fools' prank they should have announced Sonic the Fighters... Sumo Edition. Made by Sumo, and featuring all the characters as sumo wrestlers.

That would've been genius.

And each Sumo in the game had little Sonic Quill hats. XD

Oooooooh, Fighters. Very debatable topic.

It's alright. It's a fun little game to have a quick shot at if you're pretty bored. 

The achievements in the 2012 rerelease are pathetic though. I got them all in 20 minutes, and I'd never played the game beforehand except on the Gems Collection port, but that was like 5 years before.

What can i say...this game is legendary and is a great game overall. I've played the original and i also have played the XBOX360 Arcade version. Awesomeness !!!

The game has some very notable problems but I would rather see them fixed for a future Sonic fighting game rather than having it be a cheap knock-off of some other fighting game.

But Sonic The Fighters is already a cheap knock-off of Fighting Vipers. =V

Edited by The Cheese

But Sonic The Fighters is already a cheap knock-off of Fighting Vipers. =V

At least they're both made by the same company.

Also, why wasn't Sonic or Tails in Fighters Megamix? It's not because they're icons; it's because they were in Fighting Vipers.

At least they're both made by the same company.

Also, why wasn't Sonic or Tails in Fighters Megamix? It's not because they're icons; it's because they were in Fighting Vipers.

Bark and Bean were in MegaMix, not Sonic or tails