Awoo.

Your Thoughts On: Sonic The Fighters

It's a lot more fun when you play it on one of these like I did two days ago:

101_0010.JPG

Than a Gamecube controller.

• Thumbs Up 3

They still have places that have the actual machines?

Good lord, where did you find it?

It's a lot more fun when you play it on one of these like I did two days ago:

Than a Gamecube controller.

That's pretty neat!

The game itself can be entertaining, but just for a couple of hours. Once you beat the arcade mode, there isn't much to do after it other than maybe beating it with another character. Vs Mode can be pretty fun, though, if you have some friends to play with! happy.png

Vs Mode can be pretty fun, though, if you have some friends to play with! happy.png

Oh, I always loved how my multiplayer games quickly devolve into "Race to play as Nack and spam the pop gun." I can see why this game was an arcade game and not originally for the home console, that's for certain.

Hopefully if they ever make another fighting game they alleviate these issues...

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

• 2 weeks later...

Eh.

While I enjoyed Sonic the Fighters a bit on Gems Collection, I never bothered with the re-release. The graphics had a nice style and the music was good, but no fighter really appeals to me except Smash.

• 1 month later...

I think it is a fun game, but I don't understand why Knuckles was the weakest character. Taking into consideration the time period this game was made, (Knuckles was a hot character back then) Knuckles should have been one of the last challengers. I also think that it was a little glitchy.

Meh. Sonic the Fighters is meh. The game has a fantastic soundtrack, but it's clunky as hell, and playing on the GameCube controller (not buying the PS3/360 re-release) is awkward. 

I think it is a fun game, but I don't understand why Knuckles was the weakest character. Taking into consideration the time period this game was made, (Knuckles was a hot character back then) Knuckles should have been one of the last challengers. I also think that it was a little glitchy.

I doubt there was that much thought put into character placement beyond Sonic being the last regular opponent. Bark and Bean hadn't even had any games to tier with so there was no way that everyone could be placed properly right off the bat.

As VEDJ-F said, I don't think they put much, if any, consideration into the order.  For that matter, I don't think that the order directly corresponds to the difficulty.  Knuckles and Amy are about in the same level of difficulty, but they have two different tactics.  You'll notice that Knuckles tends to lean more heavily towards offensive maneuvers and Amy tends to guard more.  Once you take out all of her shields, Amy pretty much has nothing backing her in terms of attacks.  (Although she can still be fairly difficult depending on the difficulty level you set the game on)

In short, I don't think they were meaning to imply Amy is a more formidable opponent by having her come after Knuckles.  I think they were placed in that order because they wanted to introduce you to one concept (offense) and then another (defense) and it just seemed more logical to introduce the former first.

Edited by Akito

As VEDJ-F said, I don't think they put much, if any, consideration into the order.  For that matter, I don't think that the order directly corresponds to the difficulty.  Knuckles and Amy are about in the same level of difficulty, but they have two different tactics.  You'll notice that Knuckles tends to lean more heavily towards offensive maneuvers and Amy tends to guard more.  Once you take out all of her shields, Amy pretty much has nothing backing her in terms of attacks.  (Although she can still be fairly difficult depending on the difficulty level you set the game on)

In short, I don't think they were meaning to imply Amy is a more formidable opponent by having her come after Knuckles.  I think they were placed in that order because they wanted to introduce you to one concept (offense) and then another (defense) and it just seemed more logical to introduce the former first.

I doubt there was that much thought put into character placement beyond Sonic being the last regular opponent. Bark and Bean hadn't even had any games to tier with so there was no way that everyone could be placed properly right off the bat.

That makes sense :)

I sorta like it. I like the cartoony style and the music too. It would be more interesting if all characters wouldn't have the same basic moves.

Edited by SonicDude

What is balance?  Cause this game really doesn't have any.  I haven't played it since I got my arcade stick though, and I should really try that.  I totally love that they put Honey in the re-release though.

I have a love hate relationship with this game.  Playing through single player is sooooo boring and unrewarding.  However, when played with a friend that actually knows how to play video games....it's honestly very fun.  Playing as random characters and starting to learn their moves and strengths starts getting things competitive.   My favorite character has to be bark.  The special throw animations are seriously laugh aloud funny.  P.S. Everyone should see Amy's "projectile move" where things fall from the sky!

I play it on Gems Collection from time to time but I won't mess with the re-release because I do not buy digital games unless they're completely without DRM (ala GOG.com or the Humble Bundles). The only reason I even played Sonic 4 was because it was gifted to me.

The Fighters isn't bad but it's fairly shallow and basic. I think Sonic Battle on Game Boy Advance is a nice spiritual successor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Played the game via GC Gems Collection and it was okay.  It looked nice with its cell-shaded look and had a awesome soundtrack (like most Sonic games) but the fighting itself was lacking.  It felt like outside of a few attacks, everyone had the same exact moveset and the fact the game does no attempt to teach the player how to fight is not good. 

Its a solid game with great presentation, but Sonic Battle did a much better job bringing sonic in the fighting realm better than this game ever did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty entetaining when played with a friend, but slightly tedious when played alone. Not a great game, nor a sucky one. It's better-than-decent, methinks.

I prefer Sonic Battle.

I first played Sonic the Fighters this year when they released it on XBL.  A few things I noticed with the game:

Character Balance is awkward. It seemed like they tried a few things to balance out the game, but it didn't work (it might just also be me thinking that they tried when in reality they didn't make any effort). Bean has the fastest punch (peck?) animation and he has those bombs but he seems to have lower health than the other characters. Bark is strong but slower movement (but his attacks are normal speed, so nothing really changes there). etc etc.

Soundtrack is pretty good. The song below is my favorite (and it should be yours, too!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v4p_SjyYGk

Single player suddenly notably harder after versing Bark. I remember not even getting hit before that stage, then suddenly I started to lose in rounds 5+.

In multiplayer, the person who was Player 1 always seemed to land their attacks first, but this isn't accurate because I was playing over the internet.

I enjoyed the game for about a week, but after that I haven't been able to pick it up for more than 10 minutes.

small edit: video tags

Edited by Rook