Awoo.

Apple Vs Samsung: The Verdict

Patticus

Patent trial: Jury awards Apple $1bn in damages from Samsung

A jury has ruled that Samsung should pay Apple just over $1bn (£665m) in damages in an intellectual property lawsuit in the US.

It said that several of Samsung's devices had infringed Apple's software and design patents.

The jury rejected Samsung's claims that several of its patents had been breached and awarded it no damages.

The iPhone maker had claimed a total of $2.5bn (£1.6bn) in damages. Samsung had sought $519m.

The two firms account for more than half of global smartphone and tablet computer sales.

The nine-person jury at the federal court in San Jose, California had to consider 700 questions about each sides' claim that its rival had infringed its intellectual property.

It rejected the South Korean firm's claim that Apple's intellectual properties were invalid.

It said that Samsung was "wilful in its infringement" in many of the cases.

Not all of Apple's claims were upheld. Based on previous cases Samsung is likely to appeal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19377261

The precise sum which Samsung has been ordered to pay Apple is $1,051,855,000 ($1.05bn). An astronomical sum of money.

I'm not a fan of Apple in the slightest, and this whole saga just makes me dislike the company even more.

The ideal response from the Judge and Jury would have been Apple being told that they can't patent round corners, and that all of their 'innovations' are prior art... like this:

3OaBm.jpg

Dat prior art from 1987.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can't help but wonder if pro american bias influenced the jury's decision.

Or of the Jury all used iPhones.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is why the patent system is in need is serious reform. You can pretty much get a patent for anything these days and it stifles innovation because of companies suing each over patents.

• Thumbs Up 3

. . . . . This was a thing? This was ACTUALLY a thing? O_o" And South Korea was Involved? WHAT!?

This is just making me hate apple even more now (R.I.P Steve Jobs) as there suing over one of the WORST reason's to sue over I've ever heard. Yes, even worse than the girl who walked into a mall fountain while texting. South Korea's involvement to help Samsung, albeit kinda makes me like Korea more, Still was rather unnecessary. If it wasn't for the fact I don't let technology take over my life, I would possibly be outraged over this Ridiculous claim. Oh Samsung, we hardly knew thee.

140197-TouchWiz-Applications.jpg

This is a one of Samsung's phones. Look familiar?

The thing is, Samsung purposely ripped off the iOS and there were emails to show them having the thought of using Apple's ideas.

But it's not about the individual icons. What was proven in court was that Samsung instructed their designers (based on internal documents) to copy the overall "look and feel" of apple's devices to mislead customers.

Customers weren't told "Here, buy an android phone" Instead, they were told, "buy a samsung phone. It's basically an iPhone"

Not saying I 100% agree with what happened, but Apple really does have a point here.

Edited by Autosaver

. . . . . This was a thing? This was ACTUALLY a thing? O_o" And South Korea was Involved? WHAT!?

Samsung is a South Korean company.

Reactions!

Samsung:

Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.

Apple:

We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung’s copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung’s behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn’t right.

Microsoft employees on Twitter:

Windows Phone is looking gooooood right now.
Using Bing Local Scout on my Windows Phone to look for a place to drink a pint. Love that UI. Fresh. Unique. Different. That is all.

laugh.png

I suppose that this could scare more manufacturers into using Windows Phone, as I doubt that Apple is going to stop its crusade against Android any time soon.

The jury made 700 decisions in 22 hours? I bet they glossed over a few of the more technical aspects of this case.

Apple is seeking triple damages based on the verdict that there was not just infringement, but 'wilful' infringement on some patents. :o

Apparently, the jury isn't supposed to take that into consideration when deciding the precise damages awarded, it's up to the judge to decide if damages are increased.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners,

..What? I'm pretty sure the judge ruled that you can't patent that. :/

They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung’s behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn’t right.

Eh.

I know very little about this case. I don't know what was copied by who with what intention, or even how national patent law works between multinationals. But PR propaganda like this is gross stuff to follow even if Apple is in the right :| Screw "values" attacks.

Edited by Shan Zhu

So the BBC says that Apple may call for a ban on Samsung products in the US.

Hahaha fuck off Apple.

Let's not beat around the bush here - it's an apt demonstration of why the patent system is fundamentally broken.

It's also a demonstration of how utterly hypocritical Apple is, especially Steve Jobs, as much as I don't wish to speak ill of the dead. Back in Apple's early days, Jobs effectively said that ideas are built upon from prior ideas, which is true - no idea is made in a vacuum, to claim as much is ludicrous. Nothing is original, the creation of ideas is ultimately a collaborative process involving the whole of mankind. This applies to any form of creativity - invention, art, music, film, games, etc. It's also why copyright is also becoming increasingly outdated in its current form.

And yet, his whole attitude towards Android? "EVIL THIEVING SCUM IT MUST BE DESTROYED!"

So, yeah.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 3

The ideal response from the Judge and Jury would have been Apple being told that they can't patent round corners, and that all of their 'innovations' are prior art... like this:

3OaBm.jpg

Dat prior art from 1987.

Not that I want to come off as Pro-Apple (because, hell, ), but that's not really prior art and Samsung really did rip-off Apple wholesale with their interface. And also not to say that the patent system as it is isn't broken in how it allows things like this to occur; but this also isn't really like when Apple sued Microsoft over stealing the computer GUI (that Apple also stole).

Edited by Gilda

140197-TouchWiz-Applications.jpg

This is a one of Samsung's phones. Look familiar?

The thing is, Samsung purposely ripped off the iOS and there were emails to show them having the thought of using Apple's ideas.

But it's not about the individual icons. What was proven in court was that Samsung instructed their designers (based on internal documents) to copy the overall "look and feel" of apple's devices to mislead customers.

Customers weren't told "Here, buy an android phone" Instead, they were told, "buy a samsung phone. It's basically an iPhone"

Not saying I 100% agree with what happened, but Apple really does have a point here.

That picture is a picture of the App-drawer. The home screens look nothing alike.

Then again, Samsung are pretty shit at UI's. Touchwiz is an abomination of an Android Skin by the standards set by HTC, or even Sony [Ericsson].

That picture is a picture of the App-drawer. The home screens look nothing alike.

Then again, Samsung are pretty shit at UI's. Touchwiz is an abomination of an Android Skin by the standards set by HTC, or even Sony [Ericsson].

Well they must have improved it because I have no problem with it on my Galaxy S3.

Well they must have improved it because I have no problem with it on my Galaxy S3.

As far as Android skins go, Touchwiz is probably one of the worst. Its not that it doesn't work, it works fine. Problems lie with optimisation and general aesthetic (Which I personally do not like).

Fairly certain that's a satirical article, seeing as how "satire" is one of linked categories at the top of the article.

But damn, if it IS real, then props to Samsung.

Edited by Bobbyjosh

Fairly certain that's a satirical article, seeing as how "satire" is one of linked categories at the top of the article.

But damn, if it IS real, then props to Samsung.

Damn didn't even notice that until you said something. Even saw this at the bottom of the article

You didn’t think this could be real right? but hey! you loved it

Fuck my bad everyone

I missed what you posted, but I guess it's the so called "rumor" that Samsung brought trucks load of nickels worth $1billion to Apple's headquarters.

Almost fell for that too i was going to post that here an hour ago, but I had to confirm with other sources and they said it wasn't true.

tumblr_m9j8khGPDV1rwutrpo1_1280.png

tumblr_m9j8khGPDV1rwutrpo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9j8khGPDV1rwutrpo3_1280.jpgtumblr_m9j8khGPDV1rwutrpo4_1280.jpg

Oh Samsung, never change... wub.png

Meanwhile, over at Apple....

A nine year old iPod Nano user, sent Apple new product ideas to make the iPods better. Instead of receiving a thank you note, she received a Cease and Desist notice from legal department of Apple.

http://cgull8m.hubpa...d-Desist-Letter

Jesus Harold Christ!

• Thumbs Up 4