Awoo.

Super Sonic's effect on and role in the series

Debug Ring

Super Sonic is WAY too important now. It's basically the kill switch for every game.

"Something's going wrong? Welp, Super Sonic tiem."

Turning crazy invincible and auto-killing everything being the ending to EVERY GAME (except Colors) since Adventure is getting OLD AS FUCK.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, Super Sonic never really left much of an impression on me. The other forms like Darkspine, Werehog, and Excalibur on the otherhand, were pretty awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be into a reimplementation of special stages and whether or not you have the emeralds changing the outcome. Of course this is assuming the ever decide to make Super Sonic fun again.

I'm just going to say this: Super Sonic is super. In the old days, he was kick ass! Invincibility, faster speed, higher jump, he was kick ass! Certainly worth getting the Chaos Emeralds.

Since Adventure, he's been more of a plot device to defeat the final boss. In Adventure, is was fun playing as Super Sonic in 3D, despite it only being for one part.

However, since Heroes, the gimmick of having Super Sonic was getting old. Blah, blah, Super Sonic, Chaos Emerlads, been there, done that. The Darkspines and Excalibur transformations felt new, and are better than Super Sonic, IMO. With Colors not having Super Sonic as a plot only thing and for gameplay, it felt right, and should be that way in some future titles. For Generationa, we can let it slide. Come on, what's a 20th year anniversary without a Super Sonic final battle?

I like Super Sonic, but I feel it needs to be put to a rest for a little while, in terms of plot.

Have it be the same as in Colors, as in for gameplay only, not for plot. Every now and then, have a Super Sonic final boss.

That's been my thoughts on this. :)

• Thumbs Up 6

Super Sonic is WAY too important now. It's basically the kill switch for every game.

"Something's going wrong? Welp, Super Sonic tiem."

Turning crazy invincible and auto-killing everything being the ending to EVERY GAME (except Colors) since Adventure is getting OLD AS FUCK.

It's what happened when the Adventure series stopped making them gameplay collectables and made them part of the plot. You needed some use for em when the villain don't have the emeralds, or else Sonic and Co. could just hold on one, go "can't touch this" and everyone can just pack up and go home.

Look at Mario and the claims he's becoming a giant rehash; it wouldn't kill Sonic Team to do something interesting and new with the Chaos Emeralds, wouldn't it?

I feel that Super Sonic should remain as an unlockable and not a last minute plot device. I don't mind having an optional boss every now and then (The Doomsday Zone), but it's gotten predictable. Colors was fantastic. The final boss was a nice surprise, and it actually left me satisfied. I shouldn't be playing a Sonic game thinking "Man, I wonder what the Super Sonic battle is going to be like". Super Sonic is like a temporary god mode, and it shouldn't be treated so casually.

• Thumbs Up 6

I like Super Sonic, but I feel it needs to be put to a rest for a little while, in terms of plot.

Have it be the same as in Colors, as in for gameplay only, not for plot. Every now and then, have a Super Sonic final boss.

That's been my thoughts on this. smile.png

I think that's a good idea. We need more variety; this Super Sonic thing is getting old. Every last boss always uses Super Sonic. But I like Super Sonic because of the nostalgia it's a very useful form. Gameplay would be a wonderful place for it because it's advantages are nice to use in the stages, as most of us have already experienced.

I liked Super Sonic as an aspect of gameplay more than a plot device shoehorned in at the end.

I guess the exception to this would be the first Sonic Adventure, which I thought handled this really well. Maybe I'm just biased because it's the first time I saw him (although I played Sonic games before this, I just couldn't unlock him) but he tied into everything really well. You spent the entire game chasing the Chaos Emeralds, watching Chaos use them and seeing how they affected him, but YOU get to use them in the climax of the game to transform yourself. The whole game was leading up to that fight. I remember reading about Super Sonic in the player's guide, and he sounded so mysterious and interesting.

super_character.jpg

And he WAS. At least I thought so, at the time. I realize that my opinion is being somewhat influenced by the fact that this was new to me, but Super Sonic added to Adventure's story and made the climax memorable, even if it was incredibly cheesy.

In other games though, the Emeralds are just kinda...there.

• Thumbs Up 5

Super Sonic's been overexposed. Too many games using him in basically the same way. Any kind of mystery or impact to him was worn away years ago.

I'm not really sure how to fix that, though.

Simple, just dont use him for story purposes in every game. Worked for Colors.

Edited by Soniman

I'm not really sure how to fix that, though.

Well use him less for starters.

I think the last game to use Super Sonic effectively was Unleashed, plotwise anyway. It was a nice change of pace going Super at the beginning and the climax just makes his appearance feel completely awesome.

But I think it's time it's taken a break, it's becoming a literal Dues Ex Machina now with how it's being used, and it's slowly but surely wearing out it's welcome. Super form in general are played out, as both plot devices and gameplay mechanics. Gameplay wise it was basically a permanent invincibility power up with a design change(a cool design change mind you) and not much else. Perhaps if there was some buildup to it then I can accept it as a plot power up, but as it is now it's so predictable and boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Sonic's been overexposed. Too many games using him in basically the same way. Any kind of mystery or impact to him was worn away years ago.

Yeah, Super Sonic has aged from an awesome playable character to a last minute cop-out thanks to Sonic adventure. Not to mention we haven't seen Hyper Sonic in years and I don't think we'll get that back ever unless in a new game in the series the final boss is so tough, everyone agrees Super Sonic ain't gonna cut it.

Edit: Oh. That's much better. Thanks KHJ.

Edited by Abominal Taz

Not to mention we haven't seen Hyper Sonic in years and I don't think we'll get that back ever unless Hell freezes over

fix'd

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only who doesn't get the massive hype for Hyper Sonic?

No. While I think it'd be neat for him to make some dinky cameo appearance in a game, just to be like "OH HEY LOOK THAT HAPPENED", I don't think that he should ever be used in a legit "We need Hyper Sonic NAO" situation.

The ironic thing about Sonic Generations...he beat Perfect Chaos in normal mode. So would that indicate that Sonic has gone soo much stronger since Adventure, meaning S. Sonic is not needed as much. Except when something stupid like Time Eater, BioHazard, Doomsday, Dark gaia and Solaris comes up. I mean when Sonic can take out a final boss like Perfect Chaos, that tells me S. Sonic is no longer needed.

Honestly, I am outright SICK of how predictable Super Sonic is. Maybe I should treat him the same as I do with Knuckles and annoy the hell out of people with it, because this repetitive use of the form is just ridiculous.

Honestly, they should use him less and at differing points in the plot instead of as a last minute solution that fixes everything. Oh top of that, make him vulnerable. Yeah, we all know Super Sonic is almost completely invulnerable, but that didn't stop Knuckles from punching him out of the state with a surprise attack nor did it stop Eggman from sapping the energy from him. That's two vulnerabilities.

How about using the Master Emerald to neutralize the form for whomever can use it? Or how about you make a threat so overwhelming that while Super Sonic can still fight it, it causes a lot of collateral damage to the people around him that he's trying to protect and therefore the form doubles as a liability? How about something that's also invincible in that while it still can't hurt Super Sonic, Super Sonic can't hurt it back either, requiring another means than just throwing an invulnerable hedgehog at it to stop it?

Seriously, I can go at this all day. But regardless, the whole problem stems from how predictable and repetitive the form is. Anyone decent enough with a pen can solve this problem, but as said many times before Sonic Team seem to be reluctant to do much different in the storytelling department.

Gameplay is a whole other issue that needs reworking.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, they should use him less and at differing points in the plot instead of as a last minute solution that fixes everything. Oh top of that, make him vulnerable. Yeah, we all know Super Sonic is almost completely invulnerable, but that didn't stop Knuckles from punching him out of the state with a surprise attack nor did it stop Eggman from sapping the energy from him. That's two vulnerabilities.

Your statement here made me remember an alternate scene I made up in my head for Sonic Unleashed in the end:

After Sonic and Chip get the last Chaos Emerald to the temple in Eggmanland, Eggman suddenly pops up, but INSTEAD, he quickly uses a mix of machinery and Dark Gaia Force to INTENTIONALLY bring Dark Gaia to full power. Sonic, of course, loses his Werehog form, and Eggman taunts him from a distance, before moving away from the scene to watch Dark Gaia beat down Sonic. Chip go Gaia Colossus and the first phase of Dark Gaia begins.

The first phase ends after Dark Gaia get's all three of its eyes hurt, but not before it FIRES ITS LAZER at the Gaia Colossus, destroying the Colossus and seemingly killing Chip. Sonic, pissed off, goes Super Sonic and battles Dark Gaia in Phase 2. He wins, but since Chip isn't helping him this time, he's even more exhausted than usual, and the Chaos Emeralds disperse.

HERES THE BIG TWIST! Eggman swoops in on the weakened Sonic in his Egg Dragoon: he was waiting for Dark Gaia to weaken Sonic enough so that he wouldn't have to worry about Super Sonic. He can now finish off Sonic and continue his plans of World Domination unimpeded. Sonic, even though greatly weakened, manages to beat Eggman again. Unfortunately, since he no longer has the Emeralds, and he is very weakened from both fights, he passes out, his seemingly inevitable demise coming.

Chip's spirit, which barely survived the blast from Dark Gaia, manages to bring him out of the core to safety, sapping the last of his strength and forcing him to remain behind with the dead Dark Gaia.

Hope that made sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Sonic is one of the things I love about the series. I love to play as Super Sonic and I love seeing him during the final boss fights. I didn't really like that there was no Super Sonic in the end of Sonic Colors and while he was in the DS version the battle sucked big, BIG time.

So heah, the more I see of Super Sonic in future games, the better. (Just make the ring consumption 1 per second. Generations ring consumption was insane)

Edited by ArtFenix

I will be one of the few here, who will say that they need to implement Super Sonic in the plot more. ...But differently. I want Sonic to surpass his super form. Yes, Hyper Sonic. There will be a point, in which Eggman will realise ( at least I hope so) that his efforts haven't been good enough and that he eventually builds the ultimate robot, that not even Super Sonic can surpass. If Sonic and his super form's power cannot surpass a greater evil, he will be force to ascend. That will give chance for a lot of character development, in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind the Super Sonic boss fights as much in the 3D games (for some reason, I don't dislike them in the 2D games as they're simply implemented and usually well, especially Rush Adventure's fantastic change of pace) if they played like the rest of the game. Perfect Chaos in SA1 is the only real exception. Unleashed's was just terrible, and the whole floating in space with new controls is just boring and not fun to play.

Also Sonic 4 and Sonic Colours mapping the transformation to different buttons was long overdue. I also don't understand why they keep gimping Super Sonic these days, isn't he supposed to be broken?

Edited by Semi-colon e