Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Oracle games? absolutely terrible IMO. Love Majora's Mask the most, even more than Ocarina of Time. Also have a small love for Phantom Hourglass and the first LoZ on the NES.

A Link To The Past is crap.

Now I have your attention I'll just go through my favourites.

Majora's Mask is the best one. Like many others I just love everything about it. The mood, the music, the scenery, the story, the optional yet highly-focused-upon sidequests, just... argh it's so good. And while it's brutally hard first time round, it's one of those games that just gets better each time you play it. Now I know what to do and my limits, I love managing my time to do each "chapter" of the game perfectly in one cycle each (First Cycle, Woodfall, Snowhead, Romani Ranch, Great Bay, Ikana Canyon, Additional Masks, Anju+Kafei Story and Finale).

My second favourite is most certainly Wind Waker. Really majestic, beautiful art, some dull bits but a wonderful sense of world and exploration into the unknown. Good story too with some really amazing twists if you're a Zelda fan. I actually consider this more of a sequel to Ocarina of Time than Majora's Mask was.

Thirdly, I love Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess about equally. Ocarina of Time is a little numbingly basic now compared to the others but it's still fantastic fun to play and I'd recommend the 3DS version to a newcomer to the series in a heartbeat. Twilight Princess is also a pretty good stepping on point buuuut the opening segments are just SO slow. Like what the hell where they thinking with the bit with the fish and the cat sheesh. But I love the rest of it. Great story, good dungeons, and fantastic swordplay.

Skyward Sword was... blaaaaaaaah. I mean it was good. It must have been because I played it all the way to the end and was excited to play more, but it just never built up to what I thought it would be. There was SO much retreading of old ground and the story was utter drivel (which is a shame because the characters were lovely).

Anyway to get to the point I'm not really a fan of any of the 2D Zeldas. I really mean it, I don't actually like A Link To The Past and didn't get the praise for it at all. You know that bit in Egoraptor's Sequelitis where he's all "WHERE DO I GO. WHAT DO I DOO." That was me in ALTTP. I just hate not being able to "look around" like you can in the 3D ones. I know that's just the "old game" thing where you're meant to work everything out by yourself but ehh, I just don't enjoy it. I mean the opening gameplay and Hyrule Castle and all that was pretty epic and cool, but I lost interest during the first act of macguffin finding.

Basically I was stuck in a room full of blocks in a perfectly square upside down "U" shape and a beamos at the bottom. There were pots and stuff. I tried everything I could to kill the beamos, nothing behind the pots just... gah. The blocks were clearly designed as "scenery" to act as a shield from the beamos, and none were pushable.

Well, that was wrong, it turned out the solution was to push one of the blocks in a particular direction (the only block that could be pushed and ONLY in that direction).

And this was like... in the second or third dungeon. So at that point I justly declared a motion of fuck that shit and didn't play it again. Link's Awakening is the only 2D Zelda I've played that I could get into, though still needed a guide for some stuff.

(For the record don't take the "ALTTP is crap" thing to heart obviously, I don't actually mean it as an objective point lol).

Edited by JezMM

So, contrary to what I said before about having to wait for a port, I actually checked eBay again on a whim for a copy of Wind Waker and found a complete one, so I'm just posting here to brag about it again and say that I'll be sure to play it right away and post my thoughts soon.

It always was the one Zelda game I've desperately wanted to play over the years despite not being an avid fan.

I'm also pretty sure that the circumstances shown in the "cycle" haven't actually come to pass. Many of the people who hated Wind Waker still tend to hate Wind Waker, and there isn't a strong movement behind it being the best Zelda game. The only difference I see now is that the game is a lot less divisive among the fanbase, but I'd assume that has more to do with how it is nearly 10 years old now and no one cares enough to fight over it rather than because everyone's opinion has miraculously changed.

Honestly, that post just reads to me like a really bitter "stop liking what I like less than I do."

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 2

I love the first half of Wind Waker. Nintendo did an excellent job setting up the mystery of what happen to Hyrule.

But after the second trip to Forsaken Fortress the game starts to go downhill. You have to go through two boring dungeons then you have to do the even more boring search for the pieces of the Triforce.

Also I really don't like Ganondorf's personality in the game. He feels like a completely different character then the Ganondorf that we saw in OOT. Plus there's no fore shadowing of his personality change so it comes across as a big WTF moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm also pretty sure that the circumstances shown in the "cycle" haven't actually come to pass. Many of the people who hated Wind Waker still tend to hate Wind Waker, and there isn't a strong movement behind it being the best Zelda game. The only difference I see now is that the game is a lot less divisive among the fanbase, but I'd assume that has more to do with how it is nearly 10 years old now and no one cares enough to fight over it rather than because everyone's opinion has miraculously changed.

Honestly, that post just reads to me like a really bitter "stop liking what I like less than I do."

Not only that, but considering how long it's been, anyone who was blown away playing Wind Waker as an eight-year old is now an eighteen-year old who probably still feels the same way. The same thing happened to OoT, only that game's time has passed.

I love the first half of Wind Waker. Nintendo did an excellent job setting up the mystery of what happen to Hyrule.

But after the second trip to Forsaken Fortress the game starts to go downhill. You have to go through two boring dungeons then you have to do the even more boring search for the pieces of the Triforce.

Also I really don't like Ganondorf's personality in the game. He feels like a completely different character then the Ganondorf that we saw in OOT. Plus there's no fore shadowing of his personality change so it comes across as a big WTF moment.

I actually quite liked the calm, calculating Ganondorf of Wind Waker. It may have been however many hundreds of years since OoT of character development that we didn't actually see but it was still character development. The old Ganondorf is all but back after he snaps during the finale.

Also while the Wind Temple was a bit tedious, I loved the Earth Temple. It was deliciously creepy in quite a more atmospheric way than the scary temples of the previous games, and teaming up with Medli was really... I dunno, it was just nice. My imagination made me rather attached to her by the end lol. =C

(I won't comment on the rest of the game because I'm simply a weirdo who really likes the Triforce Chart segment for some reason and I'm well aware it's a totally love-it-or-hate-it bit).

• Thumbs Up 5

Anyone but me found it extremely odd how the Medli, the flying bird girl, got the EARTH temple, and Fado (I think that was his mame), the plant guy, got the WIND temple?

Edited by Soniman

Anyone but me found it extremely odd how the Medli, the flying bird girl, got the EARTH temple, and Fado (I think that was his mame), the plant guy, got the WIND temple?

Fado was the original sage. Our little buddy was Makar. Yeah it was strange, though I'm glad they did it that way round. Makar was a bit too cute to not slightly spoil the mood of the Earth Temple, whereas Medli was a lot more... I dunno, serious. I mean Makar is pretty serious too, but he's so darn cute, lol.

You know, I wish Fado was still a girl. It would seem more consistent with her model in Ocarina, and would add a nice continuity nod to her appearance.

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game and the best game ever made.

I've typed so many paragraphs, so many PAGES explaining why I think so on other forums that I'm going to condense it to five words.

Atmosphere

Sidequests

Music

Gameplay

Story

If I get bored sometime, I'll put a huge wall of text in spoilers under each of those.

Edited by Kind-Hearted Jerk
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey you handsome stud, what do you mean by Fado being a girl? I've only ever seen him in Wind Waker.

Well, I'm glad you asked, you gorgeous hunk of man!

Fado is one of the only Kokiri's aside from Saria and Mado to have an original model in Ocarina of Time. This was because she was originally going to be the Sage of the Wind Temple, a temple cut out from Ocarina of time due to memory and time restraints. As thus, this left her model as a waste of space.

You can remnants of the missing Wind Temple in Ganon's Castle when you enter the forest section of his lair and see fans spinning in this area, despite fans being only native to the shadow temple in the final game.

Also, for more useless information, Fado actually has a second model in Ocarina of Time which was done during Beta. Thanks to modders, this model was returned to the game.

Fado_Restored.jpg

That's all for now.

• Thumbs Up 5

So, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Wind Waker went to shit as soon as the second half started.

Get a load of these new figurines coming soon!

ultradetailskyward-e1345991200977.jpg

ultradetaillink-e1345991104985.jpg

ultradetaillinkold-e1345990944838.jpg

WHY IS LOZ LINK BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOONDE?????!

(Well, he's more of an orange, like he was in the manual, but still.)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-!!!

Oh, and these will be out around 2013 for about 9 bucks.

Continuing the disscusion, I didn't mind the 'padding' of Skyward Sword, in fact I enjoyed most of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree. Most of the so called padding in that game was better than it was in most other Zelda games.

Continuing from the Zelda 3DS thread...

Medli wasn't that bad. She was just annoying to switch too. Makaar is just infuriating. You have to wait on his slow ass constantly unless you carry him everywhere, which means you can't use any items, Not to mention he can't do any of cool shit Medli

Continuing the disscusion, I didn't mind the 'padding' of Skyward Sword, in fact I enjoyed most of it.

The Wind Temple and afterward is where Wind Waker fails the most honestly. When a good game just drops in quality like that, it turns me off from it.

I didn't like the padding in Skyward Sword unless it served a useful purpose. For starters, I enjoyed all three fights with the Imprisoned because they were fun and served a purpose in illustrating the dire situation of the events.

I liked the minecart section too because it was fun and something different, but I didn't like going to the captain's cabin because it was more or less the same while at the same time being a waste of time.

Then you had those sections where you needed to get inside the temples. They were W.A.S.T.E.S. O.F T.I.M.E

Now that was padding!

Made me cross half the map for an oversize bucket.

The Wind Temple and afterward is where Wind Waker fails the most honestly. When a good game just drops in quality like that, it turns me off from it.

Even Ganon's Tower? That was fun.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

I didn't like the padding in Skyward Sword unless it served a useful purpose. For starters, I enjoyed all three fights with the Imprisoned because they were fun and served a purpose in illustrating the dire situation of the events.

I liked those too. Not so much for the fights (which I thought were kind of hard until I learned I can just jump on his head), but for...well. You know.

Groose-2.png

That guy is so fucking awesome during those segments cool.png

Edited by Original Character Blonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's funny, because I hated his guts at first. Then again, I bet everyone did. STEAL MY BIRD!? AND WITH THAT HAIR!? ARRRGGGHHH YOU SUCK!!!

Relevant:

• Thumbs Up 1