Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

But...they're like exactly the same.

They really aren't.  I may be happy to say I don't think the changes matter but saying they're exactly the same is a gross overstatement for reasons we've literally talked about for the last page and a half.

Edited by JezMM

The only thing that really bothered me about OoT 3D is how much brighter the final boss is.  The original had a fine dark atmosphere to the battle, with you not even being able to see Ganon's body too much. The remake, while making it easier to see him and the battle, also kinda ruined the whole big epic feeling it had in the original.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably goes to show how little I played the N64 one, or how little I remember of it, but I can't recall any changes at all, aside from the graphics.

I do think that OoT 3D looks better than the N64 one, though. Not in an obvious "it's higher resolution" way, but in the way that I feel it gives Hyrule, and the people in it, a bit more life. Playing the N64 one back now, it's horribly obvious that this is a game released in 1997 or whenever it was. The 3D one might still be the same game, but the graphics help it to feel fresh and relevant again.

Probably helps that the core game hasn't actually aged that badly, either XD

3D didn't really change that much aside from some minor changes and graphical upgrade. Probably for the better, as there wasn't really anything that needed to be fixed from the N64 version to the Remake. Though if there was they probably wouldn't have fixed it, seeing as how most of the glitches from the N64 version are still present in 3D.

Going back to what I said about Ganon too, these

show what I'm talking about.

It's still a good battle, but the suspense/tone of the battle has been changed and thus has less of an impact.

The only thing that really bothered me about OoT 3D is how much brighter the final boss is.  The original had a fine dark atmosphere to the battle, with you not even being able to see Ganon's body too much. The remake, while making it easier to see him and the battle, also kinda ruined the whole big epic feeling it had in the original.

Oh yeah I do agree with this.  As a kid I was always trying to get a really good look at Ganon's monsterous form but you never get one.  On the 3DS that sense of horror and mystery is significantly less.

They really aren't.  I may be happy to say I don't think the changes matter but saying they're exactly the same is a gross overstatement for reasons we've literally talked about for the last page and a half.

Odd, why didn't this show up in my notifications? I had completely forgotten about that post. Anyways, Nintendoga pretty much already said it, but the only significant changes are graphical aside from the improved item management. Nothing major was added, nothing was really altered, it's the same game in a new coat of paint. A really damn pretty coat of paint, yes, but paint nonetheless. That's why I just find it silly to say OoT 3D is a major change from the original.

Unless you want to start talking about Master Quest, of course. I highly prefer 3DS Master Quest over the Gamecube version.

I hope that they don't fuck up and decide to add motion controls or some shit like that to Wind Waker. For me the motion controls made Skyward Sword fucking unplayable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope that they don't fuck up and decide to add motion controls or some shit like that to Wind Waker. For me the motion controls made Skyward Sword fucking unplayable.

Considering this game can be played on the Wii U game pad, that would be really improbable. It'd be a lot of work for something the game wasn't balanced around, and the fact that it lets you use the screen on the normal pad means this sort of thing couldn't possibly be made mandatory. 

...ya know, judging from the whole GBAxGC connectability back in the day, think the Tingle Tuner will actually have some use?

As fun as it is, it either would be nerfed on the whole healing and bombing...

Oh, the Tingle statues! Those were fun to collect.

Considering that you don't need to hook up a second screen to the system anymore, I'd expect it to show up on the Gamepad.  Alternatively, they could do a wireless play with the DS/3DS, but that would give too many screens to juggle I think.

The GamePad will serve as the new home for such things as maps and charts, song conducting, Tingle Tuning and more. I do not expect anything like a new dungeon to appear, even though Nintendo has often expressed regret at the unfinished state of the game, and this would in my view be the ideal opportunity to right that wrong, with new ideas of course (I do know that TP, PH et al have soaked up most of the unused WW dungeon ideas).

It kind of blows my mind to read that Wind Waker had a lot of things that were cut, it never felt like an unfinished game to me. But I guess I felt that way since I didn't really mind the triforce stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

^ I agree.  Even Jabun I never saw as "shouldn't there have been a dungeon here" but as "oh that's cool, they subverted expectations by not just doing the expected dungeon = macguffin formula, an embracing of the idea that this time Ganon actually did some real damage instead of just his minions messing up the joint a bit".

Odd, why didn't this show up in my notifications? I had completely forgotten about that post. Anyways, Nintendoga pretty much already said it, but the only significant changes are graphical aside from the improved item management. Nothing major was added, nothing was really altered, it's the same game in a new coat of paint. A really damn pretty coat of paint, yes, but paint nonetheless. That's why I just find it silly to say OoT 3D is a major change from the original.

I just think atmosphere is very important in an adventure game and the atmosphere WAS significantly changed in a couple of spots.  Again, it's not something that a new player would even notice, I'd always recommend 3D over the original, but as a longtime player I was sad to see the aesthetics of some of my favourite places be altered in a way I didn't prefer (namely a less bloody Bottom of the Well, the removal of the dark, endless looking fog in the last areas of the Shadow Temple, the colder colour palette of the Spirit Temple, and the brighter final battle).

Edited by JezMM

^ I agree.  Even Jabun I never saw as "shouldn't there have been a dungeon here" but as "oh that's cool, they subverted expectations by not just doing the expected dungeon = macguffin formula, an embracing of the idea that this time Ganon actually did some real damage instead of just his minions messing up the joint a bit".

Well, you know you did something right when something unfinished still feels like a complete product, Amirite?

• Thumbs Up 8

Wasn't Jabun the boss of the earth temple? Why would he feel like "should there be a dungeon here?" If anything I feel the only place where there should have been a dungeon is for the Nayru Pearl but I guess the God Tower covered that sort of...

Wasn't Jabun the boss of the earth temple? Why would he feel like "should there be a dungeon here?" If anything I feel the only place where there should have been a dungeon is for the Nayru Pearl but I guess the God Tower covered that sort of...

That's Jalhalla you are thinking of. Jabun is a Demi-God Fish; Jalhalla is a Giant Poe.

EDIT: Just to save some time, here are the names of the bosses in WW:

Dragon Roost: Gohma (Centipede)

Forbidden Woods: Kalles Demos (Baba inside dead plant skin)

Tower of the Gods: Gohdan (Statue with Floating Hands)

Forsaken Fortress: Helmaroc King (The bird that kidnapped your sister)

Earth Temple: Jalhalla (Giant Poe/Ghost)

Wind Temple: Molgera (Sand Worm)

Ganon's Tower: Puppet Ganon (Puppet Pig/Spider/Snake)

Final Battle: Ganondorf

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

That's Jalhalla you are thinking of. Jabun is a Demi-God Fish; Jalhalla is a Giant Poe.

EDIT: Just to save some time, here are the names of the bosses in WW:

Dragon Roost: Gohma (Centipede)

Forbidden Woods: Kalles Demos (Baba inside dead plant skin)

Tower of the Gods: Gohdan (Statue with Floating Hands)

Forsaken Fortress: Helmaroc King (The bird that kidnapped your sister)

Earth Temple: Jalhalla (Giant Poe/Ghost)

Wind Temple: Molgera (Sand Worm)

Ganon's Tower: Puppet Ganon (Puppet Pig/Spider/Snake)

Final Battle: Ganondorf

I see, well then it falls in line to what I was thinking. I also hope they give the bosses back their titles in this remake, they were in every other 3D game except WW for some reason.

The GamePad will serve as the new home for such things as maps and charts, song conducting, Tingle Tuning and more. I do not expect anything like a new dungeon to appear, even though Nintendo has often expressed regret at the unfinished state of the game, and this would in my view be the ideal opportunity to right that wrong, with new ideas of course (I do know that TP, PH et al have soaked up most of the unused WW dungeon ideas).

So I'm guessing the whole "Tingle" link with the GBA will be incorporated into this enhancement? It would be cool to use it with the Gamepad. I never did get to try it with the GBA.

So who else received their copy of Hyrule Historia (or is expecting to receive one soon)? 'Tis a very nifty book indeed, definitely a must for any die-hard Zelda fan! :D

I see, well then it falls in line to what I was thinking. I also hope they give the bosses back their titles in this remake, they were in every other 3D game except WW for some reason.

Here are some hastily thrown together Titles I thought up for the WW bosses:

Volcanic Arachnid Gohma

Monstrous Devil Plant Kalles Demos

Ancient Arbiter Gohdan

Helmed Sky Terror Helmaroc King

Giant Masked Spirit Jalhalla

Gluttonous Sand Worm Molgera

Nightmare Marionette Puppet Ganon

Maddened Lord of Evil Ganondorf

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Giving this a bump because this is too precious not to post here. Some really bored modder somewhere took Majora's Mask and replaced every single face texture with...Nicolas Cage. All of them. This includes Epona. And the moon.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 5

I've been playing Skyward Sword as much as I can since I started a week or two back. I'm currently one or two rooms into the third dungeon. I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, it's easily the equal of Twilight Princess to my mind, if not rather better - somewhere between TP and WW, perhaps, and streets ahead of OOT. I knew almost nothing about the game going in, beyond short bits of the Faron Woods E3 demo, and a bit of the sky flight stuff from a couple of old promo pics. I'm glad that I went in green, as it makes the surprises that much more awesome, and they just keep on coming. I especially love the third region's gimmick, I kinda hope it returns in the Wii U's first Zelda, more advanced and detailed and complex than before. wub.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Giving this a bump because this is too precious not to post here. Some really bored modder somewhere took Majora's Mask and replaced every single face texture with...Nicolas Cage. All of them. This includes Epona.

Holy shit. That is perhaps the greatest mod to ever exist.

Edited by Raiden
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmxEj3aHAp8

This is incredible. I just had to post this here.

Well, I just heard about ZREO closing down soon. This is a sad thing. Another sad thing is that I've just now heard of the twilight symphony project. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to get a torrent for it.

Edited by DarkDefeater