Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

(it amuses me a little that, with the series chronology taken into consideration, Zelda 1 was basically that version of Link repeating a bunch of stuff ALTTP's Link did on vacation)

Oops, I completely forgot that the Oracle games would be out so soon. I'm definitely gonna grab them this weekend; they're just about my favourite games in the series. I like Link's Awakening better than either of the Oracle games individually, but as a package they're basically perfect.

I always assumed that the Fire and Ice mini-dungeons were replacements for actual dungeons positioned to the left and right of the world map respectively to fit with the setup of the Earth and Wind temples. The only downside is we already HAVE a fire dungeon already so having another one might be a bit redundant, though if OoT can do it, so can TWW.

A lot of this really depends on how much Nintendo originally intended and how much they are willing to add back in or improve. I'd love it if, say, Greatfish Isle got a full dungeon. They could actually subvert expectations by still having the Island be attacked, but have it still hold a dungeon and some life. Perhaps the dungeon being damaged could be part of the challenge and help separate it from the similarly watery, yet whole, Tower of the Gods. Maybe we can even see the residents picking up the pieces afterwards.

I would actually be open to the idea of two new Sage's for Greatfish and Windfall, perhaps, or wherever seems relevant. Of course that would change the setup of the game a lot more and would probably require two more songs be added which may be unrealistic.

It'd be kind of cool if they added different tunics to WWHD like they did for LADX. Wouldn't be that much work. They could even just take the 4 Swords colors.

Also, it's great to have the best 2D Zeldas on my 3DS again. Though, Power Bracelet not being a key item is still annoying.

Edited by MarcelloF

I honestly can't wait for WWHD, it is one of the great Zelda games in my opinion. Just finished Skyward Sword and its a great game, love the gameplay and sword mechanics... But I don't really have any inclination to explore or replay or anything. It's a shame because I really like the art style of SS (although the Silent realm freaks me out!). I do hope they add a boss rush mode, I think it's likely as its been in both of the reccent Zelda games, but I do love revisiting old bosses that I love when I want to fight an epic boss.

... Hmm Zelda Boss Rush compilation DLC game anyone? All the bosses from OoT, MM, WW, TP and SS battle able, (maybe a small story about an evil Wizard making Link face the battles of his ancestors?)

Oracle Of Seasons is basically the best-case scenario for LttP2: It started off as a remake, which is why it has roughly the same world map layout and the same dungeon bosses, but has completely different dungeons and items and gimmicks and characters and a thoroughly separate story.  It's what gives me hope that LttP2 can be more than the LttP remake it started off as.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that OoS having begun as a Zelda 1 remake is the reason why it's numbered first by default of the Oracles games, with Ages typically coming second.  I personally find that playing Ages first is not only more satisfying, but makes more sense.  For one thing, the Ambi/Cap'n subplot is never resolved if you play Seasons first.

I finished Seasons and I have to say it's easily become one of my top 5 Legend of Zelda games. It's everything I like about oldschool Zelda, but with plenty of new ideas.

Ages on the other hand im not really digging as much as I have seasons. Though I'd say it's better than either of the DS titles so far, so it's not the worst.

I thought that Ages and Seasons were akin to Pokémon Red and Blue in that they were companion games? How can Ages suck compared to Seasons? Development favouritism?

Maybe because Seasons has more creative puzzles with the seasons? I'm not really sure about that one, but Seasons does seem to have more variety in its gimmicks.

I thought that Ages and Seasons were akin to Pokémon Red and Blue in that they were companion games? How can Ages suck compared to Seasons? Development favouritism?

They were two completely different games that used the same engine and had different storylines, but also linked together.  Different overworld, different dungeons, everything.  I believe they shared several common items and enemies of course though.  They're not like Pokémon in the sense that they're just one game with a handful of differences.

Edited by JezMM

I've never played either so I had no idea that they were supposed to be so different. Sounds like Ages got the shaft then, which is a shame.

They were two completely different games that used the same engine and had different storylines, but also linked together.  Different overworld, different dungeons, everything.  I believe they shared several common items and enemies of course though.  They're not like Pokémon in the sense that they're just one game with a handful of differences.

This, plus in order to get the true ending + final chapter, as well as certain items, you need to link the games together with provided passwords. 

I personally liked Seasons more but I thought they were both good. 

I'd say Seasons has better items, but Ages has a better standalone story and villain, and I personally like the time-travel gimmick a little better than season-changing. Some of the puzzles in Ages can get a bit tedious, but I've played the game enough times over the years that they don't bother me much anymore.

Seasons does win some points for the Subrosians, though. I mean, Ages has Zoras, and Zoras are my favourite "normal" Zelda race (and Labrynna's Zora Village is way cooler than Zora's Domain), but Subrosians are super rad. I'd love to see them again.

I believe the idea is that Ages is more puzzle-oriented, while Seasons is more action-oriented.  I always found that the plot of Seasons was relatively flimsy compared to Ages - another factor making it a better vehicle for the linked story content.

Well gee whiz now I'm gonna expect unexpected elements.

oh my god

Ahahaha

Honestly after Skyward Sword I can't even begin to predict what they might do for Zelda U, I'd kind of like something completely new but at the same time I wouldn't be opposed to them dragging up an obscure Zelda game and building an entire new instalment to it in glorious HD ala aLttP 2.

Zelda 3 anyone? Haha...

Am I right in thinking that the swordplay from Skyward Sword won't be returning? I thought I heard it somewhere. If it isn't its a real shame, I really enjoyed it and thought it was the best use if the Wii Remote Plus yet!

If the actual swordplay doesn't return, perhaps in an improved form, then I will be very, very upset. I personally thought that Nintendo more or less nailed that aspect of the game perfectly. Using other items could be a bit awkward, but going back from Skyward Sword's swordplay would be a massive step backwards.

They can dump the Silent Realms though, because aside from their concept and appearance I absolutely LOATHED them. They serve as horrible gameplay spikes for me and they are the main reason I'm not encouraged to replay the game.

Edited by EuroMIX

Well judging from Nintendoland's Zelda mingame they seem to have it down pat, so it would be pretty silly to NOT use it in future titles.

I figured they'd try and make use of the actual Wii U Gamepad in some form, and making the player use the remote would restrict that.

Also, I want an actual free-camera again. Having to Z-target to center it behind you as your only method of adjusting it feels dated to say the least. 

Edited by Solly

I would be surprised if they didn't focus on what they could do with the gamepad/touchscreen over sticking with the Wiimote.

Personally I didn't think Skyward Sword's combat was all that great anyway.

The Zelda minigame leaves me with hope. The fact that they bothered to include it as almost a way to train players in Motion+ swordplay gives me that impression, at least.

Edited by EuroMIX

The swordplay of Skyward Sword was one the few true justifications of motion control.  I don't expect them to continue building entire games around it, but I don't believe they would abandon it outright.