Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I'm REAL curious about what they said in the direct where they announced WWHD.

They're changing two main conventions in the next game:

-Dungeons being played in a specific order

-Playing Zelda alone

Are we getting co-op?  Now that I think of it though, it'll probably just be stinky GamePad co-op.

Don't say that Ridley, you're going make my playable-descendant-of-Groose fandream crash and burn to the ground.

So much emphasis was put onto him in Skyward Sword, it would just feel criminal to leave him in Skyward Sword lore and never go back to it in some way.

Edited by Doctor Toadley

I always thought that, after his redemption, it would have been more touching and fitting if he had gotten in the way (considering how he kept trying to play hero so he wouldn't get left out, this wouldn't be too unexpected) and in doing so been used as a vessel to give Demise form, thus explaining Ganon and why he seems to long for what the Hylians have; he feeds of Groose's resentment for Zelda, and by extension the goddess, not favouring him.

I'd be happy if they got rid of motion controls and didn't do anything all too gimmicky with the Gamepad. LTTP2 seems to not be concentrating on control gimmicks for the first time in what feels like ages, so I hope Zelda U follows that same route.

I'd be happy if they got rid of motion controls and didn't do anything all too gimmicky with the Gamepad. LTTP2 seems to not be concentrating on control gimmicks for the first time in what feels like ages, so I hope Zelda U follows that same route.

That's because the 3DS doesn't have a control gimmick - its gimmick is 3D, which LttP2 is making considerable use of.  Based on this, the Wii U Zelda...

I put off playing SS for so long because of the motion controls, and in the end the game blew me away completely because of just how brilliant they actually were. So with that in mind I don't know what I want out of the next game. The motion controls were so brilliant I don't want to see them done away with, but I also want to see how the GamePad is factored in beyond just being a handy little menu.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think 3D is beung used considerably. Aonuma recently said 3D is never needed in the game, since not everyone can see it. Following that, not evereyone can use motion+ since it's neither a pack-in, nor an actual Wii U peripheral.

I don't think 3D is beung used considerably. Aonuma recently said 3D is never needed in the game, since not everyone can see it. Following that, not evereyone can use motion+ since it's neither a pack-in, nor an actual Wii U peripheral.

10639059-1347882238-427948.png

The Motion+ was required for Skyward Sword, and I had to buy a new controller to play the game. That's just splitting hairs though, since Nintendo seem to be very keen on using their systems unique capabilites to make Zelda games as interested and different as possible.

• Oracle series: Shared game
  • Majora's Mask: Memory pack
  • Wind Waker: GBA connectivity
  • Twilight Princess: Waggle
  • Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Track: Touch controls
  • Skyward Sword: 1 to 1 motion control
  • ALttP2: Very 3D designed dungeons

It's a trend they keep up whenever they can, so I'll be surprised if the GamePad isn't the main control method for the Wii U game.

I put off playing SS for so long because of the motion controls, and in the end the game blew me away completely because of just how brilliant they actually were. So with that in mind I don't know what I want out of the next game. The motion controls were so brilliant I don't want to see them done away with, but I also want to see how the GamePad is factored in beyond just being a handy little menu.

I couldn't really agree more with this. I was really looking forward to SS (massive Zelda fan here) but was anxious as I'd already played Twilight Princess on the Wii and it just made my arm ache and worse, felt tacked on (because it was). When it finally came out though I couldn't have been more wrong. Half the time I didn't even notice I was using a controller! It felt like when I used to roleplay as a kid and use pretend swords and stuff. :3

I too am curious as to what they're going to do next. I'd be happy to go back to a regular controller or continue with motion controls. I haven't really played a Wii U yet (beyond a minute or so in a shop), but I can't see what it could be used for beyond say, inventory management or maybe a lens of truth type deal where you can see hidden things only through the gamepad screen instead of the main TV screen. happy.png

• Thumbs Up 2

The Motion+ was required for Skyward Sword, and I had to buy a new controller to play the game. That's just splitting hairs though, since Nintendo seem to be very keen on using their systems unique capabilites to make Zelda games as interested and different as possible.

It's a trend they keep up whenever they can, so I'll be surprised if the GamePad isn't the main control method for the Wii U game.

Well, Twilight Princess Wii also had IR Aiming which was nice too.

The first three are hardly comparable if you ask me, and TP also had a non-waggle version. And we've only seen one dungeon for ALttP2 which was a tower just like it's original version.

Mind you, I know Motion+ has been rebranded for the Wii U, but that doesn't make it a Wii U accessory.

And I want the GamePad to be the main control method, I just don't want any dumb gimmicky controls from it, like bow shooting. I hated having to fly and swim by moving the controller in SS.

Mind you, I know Motion+ has been rebranded for the Wii U, but that doesn't make it a Wii U accessory.

It kind of is seeing as Nintendo have openly used it in games like Nintendoland, and can't Wii remotes be used on New Super Mario Bros U as well? I think, to them, if a game would benefit from its inclusion then they'd fully support its use.

The Motion+ swrodplay was so fantastic, it'd be like losing the lock-on in every 3D game past OoT. The swordplay in TP feels so clumsy in comparison.

That's not what I'm saying. I know Wii U games can use it, but it's still not a Wii U accessory. It's a Wii accessory.

And I don't agree at all. Not only do I find it unnecessary and unfitting, but I also don't think it was very fun. Most of the time I just whacked away at enemies until I got a lucky shot, I don't feel like having to do precise sword waggling in a series that's not even about combat. I prefer the B + pushing the stick in a direction to control my sword.

Since the Wii U is like the Wii 2 in everything, especially naming, it makes sense that it could borrow many of its predecessors features. The Wii remotes are essentially a Wii feature that are now fully supported on the Wii U as well, but with motion+ being more of a standard.

Also, the existence of this Wii U branded Wii Remote Plus Additional Set tends to exemplify this fact.

Then don't waggle. Watch your opponents, then strike. It's just a further evolution of how involved gaming can be.

Edited by EuroMIX

..Why didn't you get the collector's edition? It was like $20 more and it came with a limited edition Wii Remote Plus.

..Why didn't you get the collector's edition? It was like $20 more and it came with a limited edition Wii Remote Plus.

I did specifically say I put off playing SS for a long time. I only bought the game this year, so there's no way in hell I was going to shell out £95 for the Limited Edition when the regular was £20 new.

Edited by Blue Blood

You should have said Blue Blood, I might have been willing to lend you mine. I got the special edition when the price wasn't ridiculous. The gold Wii remote is sexy; my family always tends to gravitate towards it when they want to use the Wii.

Edited by EuroMIX

I haven't played any of the handheld games, but I've been thinking about giving them a chance.

After seeing videos of some of the games, I'm really liking the looks of LoZ: The Minish Cap and may play that first.

Do you guys consider that game one of the better handheld titles or should I skip it? 

Edited by canderson

The Minish Cap is really pretty and it's got some great music and bosses and environments, but it's awfully short. I don't like it as much as any of the Game Boy games, but I'd probably play it over A Link to the Past. It's certainly better than Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

I still think that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are fun games. It gave Nintendo a chance to try out some new ideas without impeding on the main series titles.

I do personally like Spirit Tracks a lot, but mostly for the story and the soundtrack and because I've got sort of a train fetish. The gameplay was tolerable, and improved over Phantom Hourglass in a few respects, but it really doesn't hold up to the rest of the series. It's an okay game, but I'd still probably only recommend it to big fans.

Phantom Hourglass is pretty bad. It played the same terrible song in every dungeon. I can't defend it.

The Minish Cap is really pretty and it's got some great music and bosses and environments, but it's awfully short. I don't like it as much as any of the Game Boy games, but I'd probably play it over A Link to the Past. It's certainly better than Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

When you say Game Boy, I assume you're speaking of the Oracle Games?

I'll definitely look into those as well.

Phantom Hourglass is pretty bad. It played the same terrible song in every dungeon. I can't defend it.

I plan on playing PH and ST eventually. But are you seriously saying that you have to listen to this piece of crap in every single dungeon in PH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOoLJB2p9xc

That's stupid. What the fuck, Nintendo? It sounds pretty naff for a single dungeon, yet alone all of them.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I liked Phantom Hourglass because it was the sequel to my first Zelda game and it fixed many of the issues I had with sailing in TWW. I also enjoyed sailing, Linebeck, the pirate ship dungeon and how different it played from other games keeping things fresh. The main dungeon concept was interesting, if not perfect. I actually haven't finished Spirit Tracks since I got bored with it halfway through. The travelling felt stupidly limited in a sense, given that there was plenty of land you could have explored off the train had they allowed you. A shame, because I love tracked systems like trains and rollercoasters, and I used to love Thomas the Tank Engine when I was a kid.