Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

There are a lot more tails you get by doing side quests and the like, they actually get pretty extensive covering the land when you have them all

I don't like Minish Cap very much.  It's a perfectly serviceable Zelda game, but the graphics... just look very fangame-y to me.  It had some nice items, but it would've probably benefited from remaining in development long enough to add another dungeon.  There aren't enough Minish ones.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who likes.  I'd say their only real flaws is that the former thinks that touch controls will be enough to make really familiar items exciting, and the latter's train mechanic is too linear - maybe if they'd let you lay down the track on the touch screen by magic or something, and it was permanent or at least far more durable than Phantom Hourglass's boat guidance.  Actually, ST could've done with another dungeon as well.  I guess that's my answer to any Zelda game I don't like as much as I could, that another dungeon would've fixed everything.

I know, but it's weird having entire fields that you could potentially traverse a bit on foot but being tied to the train. I feel like they could have made the land a bit more broken up in order to make using the train feel more legitimate.

Personally I wish phantom hourglass boat mechanics worked how it does when searching through the fog for the ghost ship, the entire game! Gives you much more freedom

Changing the wind direction took a lot of time for such a simple task though. It might have been more fun despite that.

Well you had to draw a new path to turn in PH.

Plus, in WW you could change direction as long as the momentum held you and you could also take down the sail a move slowly in any direction without wind.

Just pulled out my copy of PH to check: it takes literally three seconds to draw a new route, which can be easily changed on the fly.

With TWW you have to pull out the Wind Waker, play the Wind's Requiem, hear it played back to you, choose the direction and watch a cutscene, all of which can take up to 15+ seconds. It's a cool concept but takes way too much time in practice, especially because you can't easily sail in any direction that isn't 90 degrees to the way the wind is blowing.

Edited by EuroMIX
  • Thumbs Up 1

I plan on playing PH and ST eventually. But are you seriously saying that you have to listen to this piece of crap in every single dungeon in PH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOoLJB2p9xc

That's stupid. What the fuck, Nintendo? It sounds pretty naff for a single dungeon, yet alone all of them.

I never finished PH but it had an awful soundtrack.  Every Island had the same music too.  It was literally like going back to the NES days, barely any locations had unique music, and they were all as unatmospheric as that dungeon theme.

Talking about the DS games has made me pick up ST again. I may also play through PH afterwards as well.

Probably gonna pick up Oracles when I have the cash, and have to re-finish OoT on my N64 aswell!

I guess the two sailing mechanics are different, one is faster but restrictive, the other is a bit slower but you have full control. I liked the WW one, you generally only had to change the wind direction once per Sailing session to get to your destination, so it wasn't too bad...although I have never finished it. My sister lost the original (still got the Master Quest dusk though) and I had to give back my borrowed copy to my friend, I had one piece of heart left to get then I was gonna go to Hyruke and break the barrier yaddataddaect.

To be honest, I always thought Wind Waker's sailing mechanics were actually pretty damn good.  In fact, I actually prefer WW sailing to PH sailing.

The REAL problem was simply the sheer amount of sailing that you had to do.  There's just so much water to sail across, and so many places that you can't just warp to, that the sailing experience gets tiresome.  And of course the wind changing element that's been mentioned before.

Replacing the sailing with just charting routes wasn't the best solution.  It would have been better to have, like, a hidden magic sail that fills with wind whenever it's open.  More convenient warping would be good.  General improvements to the islands for the sake of breaking up the sailing a bit more.  Things like that.

While there was a lot of sailing to do in Wind Waker, I felt it added to the atmosphere. The ocean was so big, and you usually couldn't just skip across it. It actually felt like a big part of the adventure that added to the game's sense of grandeur, instead of just being a means to an end.

As for it taking a while to start up- yeah, it did, but I didn't think it was really a problem as long as you weren't switching directions frequently, and most of the time, you didn't have to at all. 

Phantom Hourglass' sailing was an enormous step down in my eyes. It was tedious, boring, and it made travel feel more like a mini-game than anything. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't think either game's sailing was that great. Wind Waker's is atmospheric and everything, but needing to stop and wave a baton every time you want to make a sharp turn is maddeningly tedious, and god help you if you want to fight anything on the water. It doesn't ruin the game or anything, but the problems could have been fixed so easily; I really hope the HD version takes some initiative.

Phantom Hourglass' is more functional on a basic level, but it's also plain ol' boring. I can barely remember anything about the sea in that game. It, uh... you fought Linebeck's ex sometimes. That's all I got.

I think one of the few things that might improve it in TWW remake would be you having to only play the Wind's Requiem once while out on the ocean and being able to quickly change the wind's direction on the fly. Maybe they could make it as simple as sweeping in a direction on the GamePad's touch screen and the wind then blows in that direction.

Perhaps the remake can also work on making the sea more exciting somehow.

Edited by EuroMIX

I'd be fine if they just make composing doable via just tapping the touch screen to compose instantly.  The animation of him performing the music is perfectly reasonable, it's the fact that you have to watch it after already doing it yourself that is frustrating.  Of course for those who don't mind, you can manually compose by just doing so rather than touching an icon.

To be honest I think it would be awesome if you could actually conduct using the Wii Remote :P

But yeah, maybe make it go straight to the direction select rather than watch the whole thing again

E3 trailer of Wind Waker HD

Wind Waker: now with 200% more bloom

This is exactly what I asked for

A more in-depth look at the game's revolutionary Tingle Bottle item.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pNa43Rgac

• Thumbs Up 8

Caught me completely off guard! Hahahahaha!

The message in a bottle feature is really cool, but it's a lacklustre replacement for the Tingle Tuner. I've only ever played WW before with my GBA while my friend controlled Link, and it was insanely good fun. Totally sucks that they didn't bring in 3DS of even GamePad compatibility for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Caught me completely off guard! Hahahahaha!

The message in a bottle feature is really cool, but it's a lacklustre replacement for the Tingle Tuner. I've only ever played WW before with my GBA while my friend controlled Link, and it was insanely good fun. Totally sucks that they didn't bring in 3DS of even GamePad compatibility for it.

I feel the same, no reason they couldn't have kept in the Tingle tuner and used the 3DS aswell as having the bottle, if they can so cross play for a whole game (Smash bros.) this should be fairly simple.

Little video footage I took at Best Buy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPV7IvJrHmY