Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I genuinely think there might be room for a Ganondorf-based OoT prequel.  Start with him as a young man about your average Link's age and require that he go on a quest to increase his power to prove himself as the Gerudo king, and also probably to deal with some subplot involving sages or prophets or some other threat to his future and his country.  You could have fairly typical Zelda gameplay for the most part, with desert temples and dungeons and ruins, and as you go on the story would show Ganondorf becoming less compromising as he grows stronger, more ruthless.  You wouldn't have to overplay it, especially if he acquires some particularly dark item of dark power and so on at the end and leave a suitable gap before OoT, with the implication that it is responsible for tipping him over the edge (I think Nintendo would balk at a game with an outright non-comedy villain protagonist).

I think it would be cool to have a game where Zelda adventures alongside Link, gaining new powers and such over the course of the game in a similar way to how Link does. Not like Spirit Tracks, though. She would actually use her own magical powers and stuff instead of possessing creatures to help Link.

Puzzles would revolve around figuring out where Link can do things, where Zelda can do things, using their abilities in tandem or even combining them. It would also allow for 2 player co-op, which would also be cool.

I've been toying with this one as well.  To make sure they have different roles, and as a token nod to the Courage/Wisdom duality, give Link a sword, and Zelda a bow, and band them together right from the start.  You play as one, but with the ability to switch to the other at any time... possibly with some kind of cooldown depending on how you handle health.  By default Link's role is to plunge into the melee while Zelda sticks back and snipes more carefully, but in reality the game would play a delicate balancing act between the two to make sure that you switched regularly.  So sometimes you'd need to directly control Link to fight a particularly clever enemy while Zelda can safely sit back and plink away with the arrows, but other times it's safest to let the AI control Link fighting a gaggle of normal enemies while you have to do something more careful with Zelda.  Puzzles would demand the same thing, making you think about the different character's abilities and how best to divide them up.  Like a sort of more egalitarian Spirit Tracks Tower of Spirits, but for the whole game.

So hey, I finally picked upa  zelda game(I have had a nintendo system since I started playing video games, but I have never played one) OoT for N64, just checking that this isnt a bad place to start XD

So hey, I finally picked upa  zelda game(I have had a nintendo system since I started playing video games, but I have never played one) OoT for N64, just checking that this isnt a bad place to start XD

It's probably one of the better games to start with.

Well, it's one of the most revolutionary games of our time. I wouldn't say "bad" in the slightest.

I thought you have a 3DS? I'd have suggested starting with OOT3D, unless playing it like it originally was is important to you. The 3DS version improved quite a few things and it's quite pretty to boot. It also comes with Master Quest.

The game itself is a great place to start. gameplay-wise and story-wise. I'm guessing most fans started with it.

Edited by MarcelloF

No, I have a DS lite, and a Wii-U, an N64 and a Gamecube. And I managed to get both Skies of arcadia(DC), and OoT(64) in a deal.

Skies of Arcadia is awesome btw!

Yeah OoT is a pretty good place to start, it's counted as one if the greats in gaming and is pretty immersive both in gameplay and in story. Not to mention its where the Zelda timeline splits into its 3 timelines

Oh, OK then.

OOT is the first Zelda game, maybe even game in general, to mesmerize me. My brother's friend brought it over and the game was just so amazing to me. I knew Zelda 1 and LTTP a bit, but since our NES was broken and we had a Genesis instead of a SNES I didn't have them, but when I saw OOT I knew I had to get it. Sadly I could never find it, though once I found a gold cartridge of it, but my mom said I could get it when we we're leaving the grocery store. It was gone when we got back. I played it quite a few times, but I didn't own it until like 2003.

After that I pre-ordered MM as soon as I could and got the gold cart with the holographic sticker.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also now have 2/3s of the holy Sonic DC trilogy!(though only have 3 remotes and 2 VMUs so far), and I got JGR and Fur Fighters. Though with Zelda, I have only ever had mild interest, but I managed to get OoT with my deal, so why not, and I do know its a highly respected series, so worth a try

I think that these days, OoT64 is a poor place to start. Early 3D games are notoriously difficult to control by current standards, and have several shortcomings when it comes to things that we take for granted now. OoT's got slow and annoying menus that you'll actually be using a fair bit as you navigate dungeons. The 3DS version, ALttP and the other 2D games, WWHD, SS or TP would be much better I think.

Well, since I started with the N64, and I am used to it, those sorts of things dont bother me. (oh and btw its SA and shuffle that I got, only have to find SA2, but its not the biggest worry)

Actualy lets put it this way, the reason why I am tracking down the dreamcast and I hope to track down a saturn is that I want to experience it the way it was designed to play, regardless of the flaws

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Don't think you'll need more than 2 VMU's.

I agree slightly Blue Blood, after playing SS and going back to OoT N64 it can be quite jarring, but the visuals and story are masterful, but you are right on the Menu front! my god they can get annoying

Especially the Iron and Hover boots! D:

OoT is a game you have to play if you are into Zelda, be it the old or remastered version

Well, I have never played one before, so luckily theres not a matter of relativity. also, you need a VMU for each person who wants to play shuffle dont ya!

You don't need one as you can choose on the options to have the cards visible on screen (they move position each turn to avoid too much stealing, although you can steal anyway!)

I've had 3 VMU's for the entire library my brother had on the DC.

Feel free to PM me about DC stuff I have a load of games ect.

ALttP is pretty good for Zelda, and I like Links Awakening on the GB (I haven't finished ALttP yet!)

Well, I have never played one before, so luckily theres not a matter of relativity. also, you need a VMU for each person who wants to play shuffle dont ya!

I'm not talking relative to the rest of the Zelda series, but gaming as a whole. It's a great game none the less, but it shows it's age where 2D and newer 3D games don't.

Edited by Blue Blood

ahh, ok then, well I have a good learning curve, and I think I can manage ;)

I've been toying with this one as well.  To make sure they have different roles, and as a token nod to the Courage/Wisdom duality, give Link a sword, and Zelda a bow, and band them together right from the start.  You play as one, but with the ability to switch to the other at any time... possibly with some kind of cooldown depending on how you handle health.  By default Link's role is to plunge into the melee while Zelda sticks back and snipes more carefully, but in reality the game would play a delicate balancing act between the two to make sure that you switched regularly.  So sometimes you'd need to directly control Link to fight a particularly clever enemy while Zelda can safely sit back and plink away with the arrows, but other times it's safest to let the AI control Link fighting a gaggle of normal enemies while you have to do something more careful with Zelda.  Puzzles would demand the same thing, making you think about the different character's abilities and how best to divide them up.  Like a sort of more egalitarian Spirit Tracks Tower of Spirits, but for the whole game.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of "Physical vs. Magical."  Link relies on conventional physical abilities and weapons like the sword and shield, bow and arrow, bombs, hookshot and whatever else along those line, while Zelda relies on magic spells like conjuring elements like fire, ice, and electricity, telekinetic object manipulation, barrier magic, and other things like that. 

I was also thinking that it would be sort of clever to have certain utilities be linked to Zelda's magic, like warping for instance.  Zelda can warp around the overworld on her own or with Link, but Link can only warp when Zelda's there.  That would even naturally allow for more dramatic sequences, like , for example, they could get separated and Link would have to get back to a specific place without access to the shortcuts that Zelda would allow.

Beyond that, though, I was thinking pretty much exactly what you said.  You control one character for more intricate use of their abilities while the other supports you on autopilot.  Play as Link for fighting more clever enemies while Zelda peppers them spell attacks, play as Zelda to use your spells to make enemies vulnerable while Link runs around stabbing them.  And then there would be the co-op option, which would allow two players to use both characters at the same time, making the overall experience more efficient.

• Thumbs Up 1

Zelda as a protagonist is a possibility, depending on demand

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/eiji-aonuma-would-consider-zelda-as-a-protagonist-depending-on-demand

NL: The Zelda series tells the story of a male hero rescuing a female princess. Would you ever consider giving Zelda her own game?

Aonuma: This is the second time I’ve received this question during this E3! I guess if people have strong feelings about it then it’s something to consider. I’ll keep that in mind! [laughs]

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don't think you'll need more than 2 VMU's.

I agree slightly Blue Blood, after playing SS and going back to OoT N64 it can be quite jarring, but the visuals and story are masterful, but you are right on the Menu front! my god they can get annoying

Especially the Iron and Hover boots! D:

OoT is a game you have to play if you are into Zelda, be it the old or remastered version

When I get the Hover Boots, I never take them off unless I have to. Yeah, you lose traction, but its so much easier using the hover boots for just about everything. Plus, you can even roll while hovering to increase the gaps you can make even more than just simply running off an edge. Overall the Hover Boots are far superior in every way, and the only reason to take them off is if you're having problems getting to an exact location (such as to open a chest), or if you need to put on the Iron Boots instead.

I would love to see Zelda as a playable character. I don't see why it has to SPECIFICALLY be Zelda, though. Why can't we have a female descendant of the Hero? I wouldn't mind seeing either option, or even both.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it would be interesting if they let you choose the gender Link(Linkette?) in future games, yeah. Zelda being the protag for one of the games could be cool, though. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing her play a more active role like she did in Spirit Tracks.

Maybe a game where the "Hero" is kidnapped before he has been "awakened" or "chosen" and Zelda has to rescue him?

I'm not sure if I like the idea of a direct role-reversal on the ~traditional~ Link/Zelda dynamic in a game starring Zelda. Partly because most Zelda games honestly aren't all about rescuing the princess, so that'd feel like kind of a step back, but mostly because Zelda's got way more important stuff to do than rescue some guy. A game where Zelda's the main character should have a story about things that are unique to her, not a story about Link with their names swapped around.

More games where Peach rescues Mario, on the other hand, would absolutely be appreciated.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 4