Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I loved the Imprisoned battles, my only problem with them was the shockwaves, holy fuck that was annoying.

I loved the Imprisoned battles, my only problem with them was the shockwaves, holy fuck that was annoying.

Yes, especially during the third. Though I was shocked (no pun intended) to find out you could actually block those. They're still annoying, but at least my hearts weren't beeping.

And Fi wasn't beeping from my controller to let me know about the beeping.

Edited by Original Character Blonic

Yeah, I really loved how dynamic the boss battles were in Skyward Sword (for the most part). After the bore that were the boss fights of Twilight Princess it was a relief.

Seriously, the bosses in TP just stand still half the time, and the battles never seem to move at all. In SS the fights are all intense and fast paced, no matter how easy.

God, I hated the combat in TP in general. I'll get into that later.

The saddest part of SS was when Groose and his crew flew out. Fuck Fi and her dramatic goodbye speech. Never liked that bitch anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way, is it just me, or does Groose's theme sound similar to the pirate's theme from Wind Waker?

Fuck Fi and her dramatic goodbye speech. Never liked that bitch anyway.

Now THAT we can agree on. I hate Fi. So much. Yes, more then Navi. More then Tingle. I think she seriously might be on my top spot for most hated Zelda character.

• Thumbs Up 1

TP had boring bosses because they were easy as fuck and not engaging.

Skyward Sword had bosses like Koloktos, probably favorite Zelda boss ever. And Levias was a very close second, flying through a thunderstorm and facing off against a giant wind fish, fucking brilliant.

TP had boring bosses because they were easy as fuck and not engaging.

Skyward Sword had bosses like Koloktos, probably favorite Zelda boss ever. And Levias was a very close second, flying through a thunderstorm and facing off against a giant wind fish, fucking brilliant.

Yes, but Skyward Sword's bosses aren't all that hard either once you've figured out their weakness. I mean, they're hard during the beginning of the fight but even when they become more of a cakewalk for you they're still very fast paced and always trying to keep you on your toes, which is more than I can say for TP.

Like the miniboss Captain Skurvo. I loved that fight; it was easily the most intense miniboss I had fought in Zelda history.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Now THAT we can agree on. I hate Fi. So much. Yes, more then Navi. More then Tingle. I think she seriously might be on my top spot for most hated Zelda character.

She is at the very top for me. Navi didn't even bother me, but Fi, dear lord, they give us this after the awesomeness that was Midna? In that section of the game where she was missing, I didn't even know she was gone.

Koloktos is a badass giant robot who wields 6 swords and can summon Zombies. I think he wins.

On the other hand, it also had that Monster's Inc. reject from the ship and that... thing from the second dungeon. I'll being seeing those handsome devils in my nightmares for the rest of eternity.

She is at the very top for me. Navi didn't even bother me, but Fi, dear lord, they give us this after the awesomeness that was Midna? In that section of the game where she was missing, I didn't even know she was gone.

Wait, she went missing at some point? I should have have brought confetti.

Edited by Soma

Hm, I thought the battles with Stallord, Zant and Ganondorf (all 4 of them) were pretty good. The others... meh.

After Skyward Sword's combat, I'd have to go play Twilight Princess again to know how it would compare for me since it's been a little while. But I liked the variety of moves it had. It made me feel more like a warrior than any other Zelda game to date. Just for context, I love being able to tear through hordes of enemies like a one man army. Skyward Sword definitely had some great moments like that though, don't get me wrong.

When I found the sword at the end of that segment, I seriously just stood there wondering if there was any way out of it. Because believe me, I seriously might have just let the sword stay there if the game didn't make me pick it up. I can just use the bug net to fight Demise, right? ...Right?

Yeah, I'm sharing this again. It is 100% accurate.

When I found the sword at the end of that segment, I seriously just stood there wondering if there was any way out of it. Because believe me, I seriously might have just let the sword stay there if the game didn't make me pick it up. I can just use the bug net to fight Demise, right? ...Right?

Oh man, I just went over and grabbed it. Then Fi started talking and I got depressed. Yeah.

Twilight Princess would be cool if most of the enemies weren't wimps. I hold back on using my moves half the time because I don't want them to die right away when I'm looking for a fight.

By the way, does anyone know how Fi went over with the Japanese audience? She seems tailor-made for them, but I know nothing of their general consensus. I'm just curious to see how that paid off.

Actually, there's something else I like about some of the bosses in SS. They actually give you options on how to fight them. I wish more of that methodology was applied for newer Zeldas.

For starters, Koloktos: You don't need to cut off his legs, though it would make the battle easier. You would need to discover that on your own.

And the parasite on Levias: You can use both your sword and shield to deflect it's attacks, and in rare occassions you can use your Skyward Strike.

And then there are the one to one combat battles (Ghirahim, Scervo). Since there is no major weakness to be attacking you have to choose how you shall duel these guys, go with an aggressive play or defensive?

Too many Zelda bosses these days are: Stun boss with dungeon weapon >>> Attack weakness with sword >>>> Profit.

Nintendo really needs to try this approach to bosses more. It's creative and really allows for differing experiences.

By the way, does anyone know how Fi went over with the Japanese audience? She seems tailor-made for them, but I know nothing of their general consensus. I'm just curious to see how that paid off.

Believe it or not, Fi is meant to be a moe. Her stilted personality is meant to be considered cute and quirky in Japan, much like how Tingle is interpreted, so I'm guessing she might have been liked by the few people who bought the game.

Edited by VisionaryBlur
  • Thumbs Up 1

Believe it or not, Fi is meant to be a moe. Her stilted personality is meant to be considered cute and quirky in Japan, much like how Tingle is interpreted, so I'm guessing she might have been liked by the few people who bought the game.

I still don't understand why the Japanese didn't like the game. If anything, the character-driven linear-as-all-get-out experience seems tailor-made for them. : /

Edited by Soma

I still don't understand why the Japanese didn't like the game. If anything, the character-driven linear-as-all-get-out experience seems tailor-made for them. : /

It's not just the game, it's the series. They didn't like Twilight Princess, and seeing that this style was more reminiscent of Twilight Princess to them, they probably judged the game by appearance and left it alone. Again, Zelda isn't that popular in Japan.

Twilight Princess didn't go over well with them, so logically they wouldn't buy the prequel, no matter how tailor made it is for them.

They seem to really love the DS Zeldas though.

It's not just the game, it's the series. They didn't like Twilight Princess, and seeing that this style was more reminiscent of Twilight Princess to them, they probably judged the game by appearance and left it alone. Again, Zelda isn't that popular in Japan.

That I know, it just seems weird that a game that looks like it was made to appeal more to home base doesn't do anything for them. Like a "cobbler's children have no shoes" type of thing.

Granted, Other M did this too and struck out on both fronts, but that's more on the grounds of being terrible than any series bias.

That I know, it just seems weird that a game that looks like it was made to appeal more to home base doesn't do anything for them. Like a "cobbler's children have no shoes" type of thing.

Granted, Other M did this too and struck out on both fronts, but that's more on the grounds of being terrible than any series bias.

They just judged a book by it's cover that's all. At this point, they've been burned off by that style of Zelda so much that they refuse to look at anything that isn't styled like WW. At this point, the only ones who bought SS were diehard Zelda fans for the whole series.

Well Other M failed over there, but for reasons that are different than it just being bad, but that's a topic for the East vs West thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I wonder if that means they'll go realistic and please the west who actually really care for the series, or go cartoony and please the east with the next main Zelda.

On the other hand, it also had that Monster's Inc. reject from the ship and that... thing from the second dungeon. I'll being seeing those handsome devils in my nightmares for the rest of eternity.

Heyyyy! I thought Tentalus was an excellent boss fight. That was a great example of atmosphere, with the Levias one coming second. Demise was also pretty good atmospherically but being enclosed in a circle with empty space around really took me off it. I agree with the second dungeon boss though, that one was extremely mediocre.

I wouldn't mind an HD Wind Waker stylized game...

I would love this. Beautiful art style. However, a remake like some people want, to that I say no. Edited by Melru