Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

Man I really liked TP's bosses. Yeah they weren't that hard but at the time they were just so amazing looking. Morpheel (Lakebed Temple) and Stallord (Arbiter's Grounds) really REALLY blew me away just in cinematicness. They were so friggin' cool.

I also think TP has my favourite battle system. Everything just feels so RIGHT with the sword play (bare in mind I played the GameCube version, which didn't have tacked on waggle distracting from the best iteration of OoT, MM and WW's swordplay yet). SS' swordplay is fun and responsive but I got so bored of almost every enemy and swordplay boss being a game of "hit thing at the right angle at the right time!" Fuck the ever-changing electrified Bokoblins, seriously.

SS did have great bosses too though. I'm getting more and more tempted to finally replay it actually. I still think my hatred of the final boss and ending is making me forget the stuff I did like. And the bosses were one of those things.

Aside from the Girahim battles. I still don't get wtf I do in those at all. I won through dumb luck. The only one I liked was the final one since it was more traditional boss and less working out attack patterns and... well I still don't really know how it is you break through his defenses. I just... managed to now and then.

Oh, and just to respond to the Medli/Makar annoyance discussion, I do think if they remake Wind Waker they absoloutely must add an automatic composing thing, or make the cut-scene of Link properly animating the song you just played skippable. That was a real time-waster for taking control of them.

Edited by JezMM

I still find it super disappointing that SS, a game where the main draw was sword combat, didn't have Darknuts/ Iron Knuckles. :/ I feel like SS needed more enemies badly.

Edit: Oh it also didn't have the pit of tons of enemies that was so awesome in WW and TP. Super disappointing but it was most likely because the enemy type was low in SS.

Edited by speedfreak

I've never understood the hate for Navi. I've been playing Ocarina throughout the gens, and have beat it several times, and never ONCE have I found Navi annoying. I feel like tons of people hate her just because "XDLOLROFL NAVIS SOOOOOO ANNOYING LOLOLOLOL" has spread across the internet like fuckin' wildfire.

She wasn't annoying. She was barely a character. Now Fi? She's annoying.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never understood the hate for Navi. I've been playing Ocarina throughout the gens, and have beat it several times, and never ONCE have I found Navi annoying. I feel like tons of people hate her just because "XDLOLROFL NAVIS SOOOOOO ANNOYING LOLOLOLOL" has spread across the internet like fuckin' wildfire.

She wasn't annoying. She was barely a character. Now Fi? She's annoying.

Completely agreed. She stops to talk to you like... 5 times? When she has something to say she says "Hey!" once. She only says "Listen!" when you actually respond. If you don't respond there is literally nothing more than an occasional "Navi" flicking on and off at the top right of the screen, which takes like 10 seconds to phase out.

So I wonder if that means they'll go realistic and please the west who actually really care for the series, or go cartoony and please the east with the next main Zelda.

Zelda does have its die-hard fans in Japan, even though the series is a lot more popular in the west.

I think I'd like to see a Zelda game that looked like the Twilight Princess official art- canvas strokes and all.

Twilight-Princess-Wallpapers-the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-24544983-1280-1024.jpg

Something unrealistic and rooted in fantasy, but not too "cartoonish."

i want the next Zelda game to take on a darker tone graphically and gameplay wise, something to outdo the depressing and emotional factor of Majora's Mask into a twisted but emotional struggle like the people of Termina went through, they had the chance to do this with TP but failed to exploit it.

I have to wonder, why do a lot Zelda fans constantly ask for a dark and moody atmosphere.

I know Majora's Mask did it beautifuly, but that isn't the only way to do things.

Edited by Soniman

Majora's Mask was a lot like Alice and Wonderland to me. It was really dark and moody, but it also had a very humorous side to it, even if it was a weird sense of humor.

because whenever a new Zelda comes out it's always brighter and more cheerful for something that normally has a questionably dark story of an evil force trying to take over kingdoms with god powers and turn the world into a living hell?

not that i don't like the gorgeous water colour effect SS went for, i do and i love WW even more, but TP got it right in terms of gritty and dark looking, but they never exploited anything that could of made it a darker experience.

i suppose ambience and the music is what sets MM in terms of being the darkest Zelda title currently.

just listen to this and tell me you can't hear the depression and fact that Termina will cease to exist the following morning, it's sad, emotional and it gets your sweat on as you know your time is running out and these people ARE going to die and there's nothing you can do about it.

Edited by Super Soniko
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to wonder, why do a lot Zelda fans constantly ask for a dark and moody atmosphere.

I know Majora's Mask did it beautifuly, nut that isn't the only way to do things.

Why do some people like X more than Y?

Some people just have different interests. Like you said, Majora's Mask did it beautifully, so some people naturally want to see that direction explored a bit more. That's not to say we want it to be too dark or anything, but one of the things about Zelda is that just about everyone wants something different out of the series.

Because dark and moody is the only thing that sells nowadays.

Let's not start with this shit. It's patronizing. Edited by Solly

The more cartoony games can give off just as much of a dark feeling as the more non-cartoony ones. Wind Waker had it's own share of dark moments, such as Great Fish Isle or Ganon's motives and it worked really well. You just have to know how to set the modd accordingly. I don't think MM's darker tone was because of the graphics, but because of the way Nintendo set the mood of the characters and everything.

• Thumbs Up 5

i want the next Zelda game to take on a darker tone graphically and gameplay wise, something to outdo the depressing and emotional factor of Majora's Mask into a twisted but emotional struggle like the people of Termina went through, they had the chance to do this with TP but failed to exploit it.
Hm, I don't think TP could've lived up to MM, graphically. I mean obviously it's superior on a technical level, but the style they chose for it...it's too dull. MM is often dark, but it doesn't do dark by muting the color palette. And I think it's better for avoiding that.

because whenever a new Zelda comes out it's always brighter and more cheerful for something that normally has a questionably dark story of an evil force trying to take over kingdoms with god powers and turn the world into a living hell?
Well, it depends on what you're focusing on and what kind of tone you want to achieve. Wind Waker's the brightest and cartooniest of the 3D Zeldas, but I think it's still really effective because it focuses on an upbeat hero's journey kind of thing rather than "if you lose the world will fall into darkness". It also allows the characters to be really expressive, which helps you to actually care about them.

If there's one thing that really shows off the tone MM was going for, it's the art. Just look at the difference between character art in MM and OOT.

269px-Malon2.png

400px-Romanicremia.png

Notice the stronger shading and more intense angles.

Here, look at how the art of a muscular character differs from OOT to MM.

447px-Bongobongo.png

429px-Zubora_and_Gabora.png

Don't forget Link, see how he changed drastically.

437px-Young_Link.png

800px-MM_Link.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I always loves the parallels between OoT and MM.

As shown by visonary, OoT was a lot more cleaner and traditonal and Mm being darker, and a lot more stylized.

Also the role of the character Link is also flipped between the games. In OoT the plot was pretty much revolving around him being the Hero of Time and how he was destined to defeat Ganon and save Hyrule. In MM, he's just a kid with a sword, the overall plot isn't about him at all, he isn't the chosen one, nor is he destined to save Termina from destruction. He decides to save everyone due to his heroic nature.

Another reason Link is one of my favorite video game protagonist.

• Thumbs Up 9

In MM, he's just a kid with a sword, the overall plot isn't about him at all, he isn't the chosen one, nor is he destined to save Termina from destruction. He decides to save everyone due to his heroic nature.

Of course, you could just spend your three days betting money at the Dog Track. Some hero.

Link is less of a character and more of an avatar. I certainly don't mind him that way, but I do love when he gets expressive in games like WW and SS. I like how, in SS, you can kind of pick his personality, making him snarky, kind, or neutral. I'd like if doing that would influence the way he acts in cutscenes a bit, making you have even more control over Link, his personality, and his response to the world he lives in.

• Thumbs Up 3

Get a load of this beta for OOT.

It's interesting to see the changes. For starters, Link has a voice more akin to Goku when he was older. I wonder why Nintendo changed it, maybe they wanted to appeal to western fans who would be turned off by such a voice.

Also, note that Link has a jump button. It doesn't seem like he can jump that high though. It was apparently removed because it messed with certain puzzles.

Also, here's a beta character you probably never saw.

oot-beta-aria-restored.png

Her name is Aria, and she was the first form of Navi. She was the player's hint system, and would appear all throughout Hyrule to give you hints like Navi would, only she wouldn't call your attention obnoxiously.

• Thumbs Up 1

oh man.. that voice doesn't fit at all! lmao! i'll be hearing this in my head everytime i play Zelda now...

The jump button is in the final game. Not it only appears when Z-targetting. It's the same as the final game, and is simply a misleading name. Much how "Attack" would make more sense to be called "Roll", in both that footage and the final game "Jump" is basically "Dodge", where Link either flips backwards or strafes to the side when you push A.

Whether the 2012 date is real or not, (awesome if it were!) the game is coming for sure. And we know it.

I want it to be true but I could have sworn they were focusing on an original 3DS Zelda before releasing a remake-type game.

• Thumbs Up 1