Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

adsfasdf.png

...Wind Waker OST? Japan?

PLEASE COME TO 'MURICA

Oh boy, I can't wait until NoA jumps on this one and gives me the soundtrack like the really cool guys that they are...

*cries*

UGypveT.jpg

The first boss fight now looks like fucking ass. Thanks, Nintendo, that was the most visually iconic boss fight of the whole game.

• Thumbs Up 3

The new graphics look super pretty but can't deny that comparison.  The thick n' heavy cel-shaded lighting effects had a very different personality.

I've not played WW before, so from Jez's post post I'm guess left is new and right is original? Can't quite see what all the hubbub is about with some low quality screenshots really.

I've not played WW before, so from Jez's post post I'm guess left is new and right is original? Can't quite see what all the hubbub is about with some low quality screenshots really.

Left is new, right is old. What you had before was a visually unique boss battle with sharp lighting. Now it's all diffuse and samey looking. It will not hold the same impact as it did before.

Honestly it looks fine to me. Both of the screens are naff quality though, so neither gives a good impression.

You kind of have to see it in motion to understand what they're getting at. I'm not gonna go so far as to take pitchforks to Nintendo's HQ over it (I think y'all are overreacting a tad), but it does lose its edge a little bit.

I don't think the new version looks bad, but losing the lighting of the original is kind of disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think if you've played before it's easy to get attached to that boss too.  It was showcased a lot in the early footage of the game and was the first footage shown of something other than outdoor sea environments so it really popped and made you go "wow look at what cel-shading can do for atmosphere".  Now it just looks a little generically dark/warm as is fitting for a lava boss, but not as memorable as the stunningly bright colours of the original and the way they showed off different contours on Gohma's body depending on the angle viewed and the direction the light was hitting.

• Thumbs Up 1

UGypveT.jpg

The first boss fight now looks like fucking ass. Thanks, Nintendo, that was the most visually iconic boss fight of the whole game.

... I'm sorry, but I just can't have any strong feelings about this, one way or the other. Perhaps it's because I never really cared for the Gohma fight in general, so this "lighting" change, whatever it is, doesn't affect me at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the ironic thing is the old lighting style actually makes him look MORE detailed, whereas the new lighting style makes him look super smooth.  But maybe it's just the image quality and you'll be able to see all the little nodules to his design on an HD TV.

EDIT: For anyone who still doesn't see a difference hopefully this might illustrate it?

y4f9.png

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 6

Doesn't make or break anything for me, as I'm sure I won't even notice as I'm playing through the game. What's this one scene to the rest of the game, which, might I say, I believe to look absolutely gorgeous.

It's just a concern that other scenes with memorable lighting styles might also get the gradient treatment.  The soft lighting of this version compliments the wide open ocean scenery -perfectly-.  But boss battles, where things are tense, focused, and dramatic - work better with lighting to match, IMO.

It definitely doesn't look as cool or stand-outish to me, but I think the rest of the game kinda makes up for it. Hopefully it'll look better in motion than a screenshot manages to capture, even if it doesn't have that strong effect on us anymore.

New Zelda: Wind Waker HD trailer compares GameCube and Wii U versions
Plus, all the new features showcased
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg1OakRb-ZQ
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/54422/new-zelda-wind-waker-hd-trailer-compares-gamecube-and-wii-u-versions/

The Wii U version looks much better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even in motion is evident that some special effects have been removed such as what I and a few others were moaning about, but yeah overall 90% of the game looks amazingly good, and much as I felt about OoT 3D's changed textures and lighting, it won't affect first time players at all.

Edited by JezMM

Yeah, in some places the game does look better on Gamecube due to lighting differences, but like you said, it overall looks better on the Wii U. 

Simply from watching that trailer I'm already seeing downgrades from the original in places I remember the original shining, it may look good over all, but in some places this game loses it's intended dramatic effects when it really shouldn't.

I think the dungeons are going to be hit pretty hard by this change...

What's annoying is all the Gamecube footage they use is muddy 480p stuff.  If anyone is a whiz with Dolphin it'd be awesome to get some HD footage of the original.  Naturally the new one is better by default since there's no way to legally play the original in HD, but it'd highlight the artistic visual differences more.

Maybe they use 480p footage because the original game was in 480p. Shock horror. Although I'm sure some fan out there will put together a Dolphin comparison video soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah but I mean it's especially muddy footage too.  As if it came from the sort of quality trailer that you would download back in those days.

Well yes, but Nintendo can't use Dolphin in trailers because that would only legitimize it, and IGN would probably get some legal hassle for it too.

Nah but I mean it's like they literally took footage from an old trailer without even locating the source file or anything.  Compare to say, Game Grumps videos of Mario Sunshine which is taken directly from source but is still the original console version, not hi-res, but looks good and clean enough as footage.  They clearly didn't record the Gamecube footage for this trailer, just used an old video recorded in what was at the time high quality video but now is like youtube 360p quality.  I don't expect them to use illegitimate hi-res footage from an emulator, but Wind Waker GCN does not look like that on a TV.

Edited by JezMM

Well, I don't know then, as that was not a decision I was privy to. Maybe they're trying to make WW HD look better by intentionally making WW SD look worse than it did?