Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

Yeah most likely.  I can't say it's not smart if it's intentional rather than lazy, but either way it just bothers me on a minor level lol.

Here's some of the changes for you to check out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0IxYr0ohxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-QhB6fVw4

Edited by VisionaryBlur
  • Thumbs Up 4

Wow, those animations in the Gamecube version look annoying. 4 seconds animation of grapple every single time? Nice they cut them down.

You'd be surprised how much they didn't bother you actually.  They seem ridiculous side by side but... when you know no different it's not an issue.  The only major culprit was the wind changing one since you do use it all the time, way way more all the time than the other two animations.  I'll kind of miss Link's little encore where you get to here the "proper" version of the tune though.  It'd be nice if it plays it just the first time you use a song that gameplay session.

EDIT: Wow that music comparison though.  The flute is so flowing on the new version compared to the REALLY midi-ish original.  I can't wait to hear some of my fave tracks remastered now.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

The instruments are definitely nicer on the Wii U, but the mix kinda bugs me. It doesn't feel as prominent over all and the string rhythm is really dull. I know it's less midi sounding, but I think they should've mixed it a bit better. However, this is out of context, so maybe it'll feel right in the atmosphere of the game.

Anyways, looking foward to hearing all the differences in the soundtrack, especially Dragonroost.

• Thumbs Up 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nigpy_Nf2NY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ

That is a huge difference if I've ever seen one. Though I am glad that the game still allows for the old way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, those animations in the Gamecube version look annoying. 4 seconds animation of grapple every single time? Nice they cut them down.

The grappling wasn't too bad except for when you were backtracking through things (but yeah I am glad they cut it down) definitely gonna miss links encores though, even though it took a while I loved (and still do cause im playing through the original right now) the completed version of the songs and was actually sorta hoping that they would get remastered here but its no big deal.

The grappling wasn't too bad except for when you were backtracking through things (but yeah I am glad they cut it down) definitely gonna miss links encores though, even though it took a while I loved (and still do cause im playing through the original right now) the completed version of the songs and was actually sorta hoping that they would get remastered here but its no big deal.

We'll probably still get to hear them when you learn the song.

Not sure if I'll use the Swift Sail because I really like the serene isolation of sailing around.  I'll prolly use it for side quest stuff but not for the main quest to enjoy that element of the adventure.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never had a problem with the wait for the treasure chests, myself.  It was a deep ocean.  My immediate impression is that the water's a lot shallower in the new version, since Link now hits bottom so fast.  Never really minded the encores, either, but the grappling was one that bugged me, since you did it a lot of times in a row.

I'm probably the odd man out here. but, from what I've seen, I think I prefer the original version to the HD version.

Something about the softer lights just doesn't sit right with me, like it doesn't fit with the world in this game. Plus, the animation nitpicks just seem like that; nitpicks. The music in the HD version did have better instruments, but like was pointed out before, the way they were brought together just sounded off. And, as crazy as it sounds, sailing was one of my favorite parts of the game and taking the time to do so in getting around never felt like a chore, save for finding the other cyclone brother. Not to say I wouldn't give the Swift Sail a try, but still.

I'm not saying that it looks horrible by any means. If anything, I'm glad they gave this particular Zelda game a re-release and hope it goes over well with newer gamers. But if I were to ever get a Wii-U myself, this probably wouldn't be high on my list

Edited by Potada
  • Thumbs Up 4

One thing I will say is that in the new version, nothing looks like a cartoon.  It all looks like 3D models in a 3D world.  The original art wasn't convincingly cartoon like either, but you know, it looked like a cartoon in 3D.  Now it just looks like 3D with a poppy colouring style.  If that makes sense.

I agree about the treasure box thing being TOO fast as well.  It'd have been better if they altered it so it takes a while to go down as before (this varied as well depending on how close to land you were by the way!), but once hooked, the hook rapidly reels up like a measuring tape being retracted.

Edited by JezMM

I think the new lighting engine looks fantastic and superior to the original when Link is out in the ocean. Otherwise, the original is much more striking. I kind of wish they had just recreated the original lighting engine to be more refined and pleasing to look at in 2013, but oh well. It's not ugly by any means.

Okay I think I've found a way to articulate it - the original game was clearly 3D, but it felt like everything was somehow constructed out of strikingly coloured ink.

The HD version kinda looks like the characters are all cute little animated figurines in painted sets.

Neither looks bad, but they're certainly different.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay I think I've found a way to articulate it - the original game was clearly 3D, but it felt like everything was somehow constructed out of strikingly coloured ink.

The HD version kinda looks like the characters are all cute little animated figurines in painted sets.

Neither looks bad, but they're certainly different.

SECRET ENDING: Wind Waker HD is actually a puppet show held by the characters in the original Wind Waker, while simultaneously cutting out the boring tedious stuff. The Command Melody was used to control and articulate the puppets, with lighting provided by Niko, who overdid it by using too many fireflies from the Forest Haven.

Edited by 743 ED Missile
  • Thumbs Up 3

From 2011 and to the end of 2013 we'll have gotten OoT 3D, Four Swords Anniversary, Skyward Sword, WWHD and ALBW. 3 remakes/ports (admittedly FS is only a small title), one direct sequel based in an existing game world and one wholly original game. I think we could wait a little for an MM remake. It would be really cool to see though.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Keep in mind they have different teams.

Grezzo is the remake team. They made Four Swords Anniversary and OOT: 3D. I bet they're working on MM:3D.

Keep in mind they have different teams.

Grezzo is the remake team. They made Four Swords Anniversary and OOT: 3D. I bet they're working on MM:3D.

That's not the point I'm making though. I just mean there's enough remakes for the time being.

Remakes are easy money, and a remake of MM (which fans have been begging for ever since OOT was packed in with WW on the GCN) would be a licence to print money. It makes perfect sense for Nintendo to do this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah. If Nintendo can put it out with little effort, especially when fans are going bonkers over it, they may as well. If they were releasing ports and remakes and nothing else, that'd be a problem. But since they have a team dedicated to it, that means we can have Majora's Mask on the go while the new Zelda and Mario games suffer no loss in quality or development time.

Fans get their enhanced port, Nintendo gets money in their pocket, 3DS gets a stellar game added to its line-up. Everyone wins.

Maybe I'm being precious because it's my second favourite game of all time, but Majora's Mask needs care and love to upgrade it without losing the atmosphere.  I feel like I'd be a lot more critical over it than I was with OoT 3D (like Spirit Temple was my fave dungeon and I dislike that they altered the colour palette to make it duller, less warm in colour - but I feel like minor changes like that in Majora's Mask I'd be less forgiving in a "oh but new players won't care" way), but that's just me.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

I thought we constantly criticized the Zelda series for stagnating. Like BB we've had too many remakes recently. A new proper console Zelda would be better imo.