Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

Wow I never imagined this being THAT big a seller.  Great news.

By the way I know I'm kinda cheating for posting this here since it's my own art but... anyone else been suffering this?

tumblr_mu8ywpd9uk1s8insfo1_500.png

tumblr_mu8ywpd9uk1s8insfo2_500.png

tumblr_mu8ywpd9uk1s8insfo3_500.png

Still having a blast through, it's so much fun rediscovering places and exploring areas and doing sidequests that I normally wouldn't bother with on my past replays of the game.

I was also surprised by how many areas the new lighting DOESN'T infringe on that old cel-shaded style I described as being like 3D animated ink as oppose to little figurines.  So far only Gohma and the previously pitch-black room with the torchlighting puzzle and all the bats that ambush you, both in Dragon Roost Cavern, were notably worse for the new lighting.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 5

I would argue that the Zelda series has remained fresh, in spite of what people say about the recent ones being the same game. 

It must be understood that there is one basic formula to Zelda that is followed by all games:

Explore overwold -> Go to dungeons -> Beat dungeon -> Repeat steps 1-3 Multiple times -> Go to final boss -> End

The key is to seeing how that formula is twisted around with in the games. Ocarina is basically Alttp in 3D in that regard, with a greater expansion of sidequests and story, it uses the primary 3 dungeons before getting to the expanded ones later in the game. There is little to nothing of importance that breaks up the flow inbetween dungeons, excluding the Forest and Spirit Temple.

It also should be seen that Ocarina heavily influenced the "puzzle boss" formula, where you are left waiting for the majority of bosses to expose their weaknesses before you can do your attacks. Those weaknesses usually being an eye. It mixes it up with having bosses that try to move around sporadically, or make you feel involved even when you wait. Phantom Ganon's pingpong is one such.

Then you get to Majora which was basically a step in the opposite direction. It focused less on dungeons and even exploration, and more on character interaction and elaborate sidequests; helped in no small part by it's 3 day system. 

Dungeons were smaller but more intricately designed for maze-like elements. And getting to dungeons was always a huge undertaking of their own that helped to build up the tension leading towards the dungeon. By learning the plight of the people in the area, you gain a sense of attachment to their terror, and the game encourages you to talk. 

The sidequests take up the brunt of the experience as well; exploring deeper into the lives of the Terminians and learning of their plight with active dialogue. The masks, as useless as some were, all helped to craft a different experience from Ocarina, because the way you would often use masks is just by knowing where they would fit in story. 

And the bosses were not puzzle based to say the least. They were call backs to the Alttp designed fight, where you've just gotta hammer down on the boss in any way which will deal damage as long as you could get past their defenses or know how to beat them. In a sense there is no one way to tackle these fights. (Though there are preferred ways.)

---

Then you move onto Wind Waker, which focused less on dungeons, or even story, but instead on the world. The game encouraged you to explore and discover, much like the Original LOZ. 

The dungeons were incredibly spread out over the course of the game, by islands just waiting for you to explore. And very early on you were encouraged to look around for every secret you could find on the islands. Hell, the Triforce quest was pretty much an excuse for you to look around all the islands of the Great sea.

The entire approach is different from Ocarina's more streamlined dungeon to dungeon approach, by having this huge expanse barring you from your destination, instead of having it be right there. Match that with all the collectibles and you get an experience more like a journey than Ocarina's smaller scaled overworld could provide. 

The bosses by this time were more like a mix of the puzzle boss and the damage them anytime boss; Providing for very enjoyable and fairly unique bosses that do differ from the Ocarina approach just enough. 

-----

Twilight Princess is where things get very Ocarina like though after the beginnig of the game. 

Twilight Princesss, during the early stages was an incredibly linear storytelling experience that focused more on the progression of a story between each dungeon and getting to know the main cast. The Twilight sections definitely fit the bill for this early part of the game. But after you get the Master Sword, the game quickly becomes Ocarina's twin, with the second act being pretty barren of activity outside of the dungeons. 

The overworld is a barren wasteland, with only the occasional enemy and occasional hidden secret. It's a lot like the original LOZ overworld in it's vastness, but like that one has little to do outside the secret which you may not even be able to get to until later.

The bosses at this point had the greatest disparity between puzzle bosses and active bosses. So many of them had you standing around waiting for the boss to come around and reveal itself, or some mechanical opportunity shows up. One of the reasons Stallord is considered the best boss in the game is because of how active the fight is, and how often you have to be on the move, even though you're in little danger of dying.

----

And then Skyward Sword. This game really punched the formula hard. The overworld sections were pretty much dungeons themselves with a lot of character interaction and activity. But the sky overworld was a boring wasteland. The game had you rummaging around these mazes in very well structured, but incredibly linear ways, especially during the beginning. Hell, I'd say the time spent outside of dungeons is more of the experience than the dungeons themselves. And the amounts of variety they pour into these outside sections makes for a very different experience from other Zeldas.

However, you get to the dungeons themselves and you'd find that it just becomes sort of standard when there, aside from the occasional gimmick puzzle and awesome miniboss. Though Aonuma was ballsy to make the player go through the first dungeon twice; a definite sign that they were trying to do something different with the pacing of the game.

The combat was completely overhauled for the game, and became a lot like a puzzle which you were actively participating in, like Zelda 2, making it for one of the best instances of combat in the series. 

The bosses though, are the epitome of the puzzle boss. Each fight you wait for a boss to reveal its weakness, and more than not, it's an eye. At least Koloktos was an active boss for his fight, and got you really moving. 

---

So while the Zelda formula may not change its basic ideas, I wouldn't say the series hasn't changed it up. In fact, I'd argue it's been changing things up a lot in ways. It's just that many of these ways are so underwhelming that the comparison to Ocarina is made because the similarities become so glaring in light of these underwhelming changes.

It happens to me often, especially when switching between the boat functions like the grappling hook and Cannon, shooting off in a different direction lmao.

I actually got a fair bit done late this morning but fell asleep, and the Wii U powered down before i could save gaaah! So got to do all that again lol...

Defeated all the Big Octo's after getting the Octo Chart, getting my ass handed to me in those lone submarines on Hero Mode good god, the game is so hard when you only have 3 hearts at the start of the game and no way of replenishing your health since you don't have access to a bottle to store a fairy or potion until after Medli gives you one then finding a Fairy near the Big Boss gate! So it's literally a gauntlet of being alert and shielding yourself often which is crazy, and you take double damage so it's easy to die simply from touching the lava lol.

The game evens out when you get a good supply of hearts, no real challenge added in the end but yeah the new controls for the Bow is fiddly when trying to be precise with the thumb stick.

Otherwise it's been good so far! The swift sail makes the sailing portions much faster and satisfying.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's annoying how you have to wait for an auction to finally get the swift sail. I've just started the Tower of the Gods dungeon and I still don't have one. >_>

Anyway, the game is immensely enjoyable even to this day. And like I did before in my GCN copy, I'm going to try and complete the Nintendo gallery a second time!

It's annoying how you have to wait for an auction to finally get the swift sail. I've just started the Tower of the Gods dungeon and I still don't have one. >_>

Anyway, the game is immensely enjoyable even to this day. And like I did before in my GCN copy, I'm going to try and complete the Nintendo gallery a second time!

You could have gone back by the end of Dragon Roost to get it. You didn't need to go on with the quest without it. 

Oh, and word of advice if you want to complete the gallery wholly this time. You need to bomb the areas where the tingle statues are in the dungeons to get Knuckle to come back to the island.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Tingle's chart doesn't make the honka honka when you close it in this version.   Fuck   you   Nintendo
Is it REALLY that big a deal? I always thought it was kinda unnecessary.

It was a nice little detail and it fits tingles weirdness (still can't get over the clone man slaves he has on his island).

There's a ton of stuff in every game ever that is added for flavour but is unnecessary.  Let's remove it all.

Basically what megadude said.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Tingle's chart doesn't make the honka honka when you close it in this version.

Fuck

you

Nintendo

Game ruined forever.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Damn, this game is pretty.  I was seriously a bit worried, seeing as everyone and their grandma was saying the game didn't look as great as its supposed to; but it really is quite beautiful.  Pretty much my only gripe is the removal of the Tingle Tuner.

One small criticism is I wish there was a way to "flick" the map up onto the TV.  When sailing, I don't like that you can only view a close-up of your position if you obscure part of the larger map, and that you have to keep clicking to toggle through four different views.

As far as I can see, there's literally no way to display the original styled map view on the main screen, even in off-TV mode.

On the flipside, map-wise, being able to re-read the fishman hints at any time was a genius little addition I'd have never thought of, though the game never draws your attention to it, even if you do stop and ask a fishman to repeat his hint (in my case I just did it for the minigame you get after).

I really REALLY like the first person mode, especially coupled with the gyro aiming.  Taking out Beamos FPS style is very satisfying.

Edited by JezMM

One small criticism is I wish there was a way to "flick" the map up onto the TV.  When sailing, I don't like that you can only view a close-up of your position if you obscure part of the larger map, and that you have to keep clicking to toggle through four different views.

As far as I can see, there's literally no way to display the original styled map view on the main screen, even in off-TV mode.

On the flipside, map-wise, being able to re-read the fishman hints at any time was a genius little addition I'd have never thought of, though the game never draws your attention to it, even if you do stop and ask a fishman to repeat his hint (in my case I just did it for the minigame you get after).

I really REALLY like the first person mode, especially coupled with the gyro aiming.  Taking out Beamos FPS style is very satisfying.

Play with the pro controller and the game will go back to that old map.

Play with the pro controller and the game will go back to that old map.

Oh interesting.  Unfortunately I overall prefer Gamepad since I like to read my Tingle bottles while sailing.

Strange that the old map doesn't appear even on Gamepad-only play though.

Edited by JezMM

Also if you tap the L bumper, you can switch between items/map without pressing the screen tabs, a small but pretty important detail.

May I just say I can't even begin to put into words how jealous I am of everyone who has the game. Seeing all the snapshots and selfies on Miiverse... it just looks so dang gorgeous! And Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda game, so I have some serious nostalgia for it.

Alas, I am holding off on it for now so my money can go towards new titles like Pokemon Y and Sonic Lost World first... but damn I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to cave in and get me my Zelda fix.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just gonna throw this in here because Wind Waker HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11rnxpMNko

OH MY GOD THIS SOUNDS SO HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH

SO AMAZING BEST REMIX <3 <3 <3

• Thumbs Up 3

So I just managed to get the final pearl from Jabun. At this stage, I can say the game is enjoyable, but I was definitely enjoying Skyward Sword a hell of a lot more this far in. WW is more like OoT than SS is. SS is a faster and more fluid game, with a soundtrack that more often has full pieces of music in dungeons instead of ambient music. The sailing really, really sucks too (note: SS flying wasn't really an awful lot of good either). It's just mind-numbingly slow. Going from Windfall to Outset to find Jabun, I literally just held the controller about 90% of the time. I've no idea how people enjoyed it without the swift sail. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for it to show up in the auction house.

WW is good so far. Probably my least favourite of the ones I like though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for it to show up in the auction house.

To speed up the process, just head inside and if the prize of the auction isn't the swift sail, just quit the auction, exit the house, and re-enter immediately. Repeat until the swift sail appears as the prize.

• Thumbs Up 2

To speed up the process, just head inside and if the prize of the auction isn't the swift sail, just quit the auction, exit the house, and re-enter immediately. Repeat until the swift sail appears as the prize.

You sir, are a legend. I'm going to try this right away.

• Thumbs Up 2

It took me until my 4th auction to get the swift sail.  I'm surprised they tucked it away as much as they did.

I admit... I enjoyed the sailing, to the point I often never used cyclones either.  When I got the swift sail I was like "I'll prolly just use it to quickly change wind direction".

Am now using it all the time.  Please forgive me, Wind Waker GCN. orz

• Thumbs Up 1

So I just managed to get the final pearl from Jabun. At this stage, I can say the game is enjoyable, but I was definitely enjoying Skyward Sword a hell of a lot more this far in. WW is more like OoT than SS is. SS is a faster and more fluid game, with a soundtrack that more often has full pieces of music in dungeons instead of ambient music. The sailing really, really sucks too (note: SS flying wasn't really an awful lot of good either). It's just mind-numbingly slow. Going from Windfall to Outset to find Jabun, I literally just held the controller about 90% of the time. I've no idea how people enjoyed it without the swift sail. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for it to show up in the auction house.

It's like I said, people don't take into consideration the changes because the changes bug them while the basic formula sticks out like a sore thumb because it's the most recognizable aspect that works well.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Am now using it all the time.  Please forgive me, Wind Waker GCN. orz

Haha, didn't you say in an earlier post that you wouldn't bother using the Swift Sail. xD