Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I am irked.

They nerfed the fucking decoration trade sequence.

I understand the Triforce quest.  I get it; unnecessary, but okay.  I get it.

But the DECORATION TRADE SEQUENCE?!  Come ooooooooon.  It's the Magic Armor.  You don't need it.  Make us work for it.

Hrmph.

Also, the Magic Armor has been switched over to the Twilight Princess version, that uses Rupees instead of Magic.  Meh.

wasnt there a gamecube version of TP? admittedly my GC is at home, but it would be something for next summer at least

The Gamecube controls are very similar to Wind Waker's.  Imagine playing Wind Waker, but you have to waggle the Wii Remote every time you want to push B.  There's no actual depth to the motion controls - you just waggle and it does the same thing as the B button does (i.e., waggle + forward on the control stick is thrust, not actual thrusting).  I prefer the Gamecube version for this reason, though I'm miffed that widescreen wasn't included in the GCN version when even N64 games had widescreen modes.

I am irked.

They nerfed the fucking decoration trade sequence.

I understand the Triforce quest.  I get it; unnecessary, but okay.  I get it.

But the DECORATION TRADE SEQUENCE?!  Come ooooooooon.  It's the Magic Armor.  You don't need it.  Make us work for it.

Hrmph.

Also, the Magic Armor has been switched over to the Twilight Princess version, that uses Rupees instead of Magic.  Meh.

I haven't done the decoration trade sequence since my first playthrough as a kid, what was nerfed about it?

The magic armour thing kinda makes sense though I guess.  Once you've done the IN-Credible chart quest and cleared out Beedle's Rock Spire Isle Shop Rupees quickly lose their value as a commodity.

I haven't done the decoration trade sequence since my first playthrough as a kid, what was nerfed about it?

You only have to trade three items instead of getting all of them.  It's piss easy now.

...it's gonna be pun time all the time.

WHY MUST MY HOUSE BE SO FAR OUT OF TOWN

GODDAMN YOU SHITTY INTERNET

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering WW is my favourite Zelda, I should probably comment on this.

(somewhat) Marathoned the game last Friday through Monday. It's generally fine; sure, they've removed the Tingle Tuner which is an instant thumbs-down from me, but then I can’t say they haven’t improved things in other areas as well.

Of course, this makes an annoying middle ground of ‘there is no definitive version’. Yes, WWHD is the better version in the majority of ways, but the fact that it’s worse in some means it can’t be ‘definitive’ and replace the original completely. Tingle bottles are a shitty excuse of a ‘replacement’. D:

Even more oddly (although thankfully), the Tingle statues are all still present and can be accessed by using a regular bomb on the hidden areas; oddly as far as I’m aware, the game doesn’t tell you this or mention their existence in any way whatsoever.

Also, as odd as this sounds, my biggest ‘irl’ (if it can be called that) is actually the visuals. Sure, I hated the lighting effects for my first half hour or so of gameplay, but I got used to them soon enough. It’s certainly a testament to the quality of the original’s graphics, but… WWHD hardly looks any different. I don’t agree at all with some reviews saying “It could pass as a brand new current-gen game visually”. Like hell it could. It’s a GC game running in HD with a few bells and whistles and a fancy lighting effect. Very few things have actually been remodelled at all (the most important characters and that’s about it), everything else is more or less the same as the GC version. By modern standards, the game looks almost painfully low-poly and blocky/ angular in a lot of places; it just relies on the art style to hide behind. They've retextured/ reskinned everything, but remodelled very, very little.

Don’t get me wrong, it still looks lovely, but it’s more from the perspective of artistic style than actual graphical quality this time around. One could argue that being low-poly and angular matches the cartoon style, but I don’t personally agree. I get that it was a HD enhanced port (can it even be called a straight-up remake?) done in six months which almost makes it a rush job, but even so.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 3

I believe the intention with the Tingle Statues was on one hand - put in as a clever easter egg for those who played with the Tingle Tuner originally - and on the other, fully embrace the notion of Miiverse - the only way to learn their locations is through word of mouth.  It's not the first game that has based a feature on this kind of player interaction, but it's kind of neat.

How well it worked is iffy though, at first I was getting annoyed that I was finding bottles telling me about these Tingle statues, which, having not played with the Tingle Tuner much on GCN, seemed to be a new feature to me and I was like "damn maybe I shouldn't have allowed spoilers".  But now I've found out that is the only way to learn about them I'm okay with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we might possibly be seeing Zelda U soonish:

David: Are you already preparing an announcement for the next E3? Maybe a Zelda for Wii U?
Aonuma: Indeed I had planned to prepare something, for my visits in New York City and Germany, so I’d have something to announce for the fans, but I was so busy with the preparations for the presentation of A Link Between Worlds. Now I am sitting here empty-handed. You should look forward to future announcements. As fast as I am back in my office, I will start to work on something to announce.

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/aonuma-albw-discussion-another-hint-at-majoras-mask-remake-zelda-wii-u-announcement-scrapped-at-comic-con/

http://www.gameswelt.de/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/videoartikel/der-mann-hinter-den-zelda-spielen,208201

I don't really trust ZU, so I checked the source, which is in German and they said pretty much the same. Of course, I don't know if Gameswelt's translation is good either, since I don't really know the site, but I assume it is. The guy asking the question mentions next E3, but Aounuma says he's going to get to work on it as soon as he's back in Japan. There's a chance he's just blowing hot air, but there's nothing really pointing towards that. Or I'm just looking into it too much.

So that's three times they've wanted to show it. Miyamoto said they'd maybe show it around the end of the year around E3, I believe, so once ALBW is out of the way, maybe they'll show it to us before Christmas? Maybe early next year in the January Direct?

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/aonuma-teases-majoras-mask-news-in-a-link-between-worlds

Majora's Mask news is apparently hidden within Link Between Worlds.

That's a way to get people interested.

Please stop playing with my heart Aonuma :'(

Yes, there is. It's always more expensive though, and the controls don't make a massive difference. Plus you'll have to pull out your Wii or GCN to play it, while with the Wii version you can just use it on your Wii U.

EDIT: (and in the right topic this time)

I just completed the Tower of Gods.

... yeah, I don't like WW all too much. Can't say exactly why though. It's just not to my tastes very much. Also, Gohdan was laughably easy. I thought I'd just beaten his first phase or something, but the battle ended.

Yeah i'm not all that much of a fan of WW all too much either, i'm okay with it visually, i'm okay with the sailing around even if it does bore me quicker than it should do, i want to say it's too easy but that's not right either because Zelda games aren't really hard by nature and i like the story overall.

If i had to hazard a guess, i'd say it's a combination of it's difficulty (granted this is something rectified by the addition of hero mode), it's overall length and some of the temple gimmicks being either boring or feeling like they were designed to pad out gameplay. Granted this is my opinion and even then i'm grasping at straws as to what it is that really has me at odds with WW.

Granted i'm a fan of Majora's Mask fan and some of my above grievances make me a bit of a hypocrite.

Please stop playing with my heart Aonuma :'(

Yeah i'm not all that much of a fan of WW all too much either, i'm okay with it visually, i'm okay with the sailing around even if it does bore me quicker than it should do, i want to say it's too easy but that's not right either because Zelda games aren't really hard by nature and i like the story overall.

If i had to hazard a guess, i'd say it's a combination of it's difficulty (granted this is something rectified by the addition of hero mode), it's overall length and some of the temple gimmicks being either boring or feeling like they were designed to pad out gameplay. Granted this is my opinion and even then i'm grasping at straws as to what it is that really has me at odds with WW.

Granted i'm a fan of Majora's Mask fan and some of my above grievances make me a bit of a hypocrite.

I've always been okay with WW's difficulty (After all it doesn't get easier than TP or PH. Phantom Hourglass is the easiest Zelda game ever made), it's just that the game itself is so underwhelming and I can't find it anything but tedious and a chore to play. :( Shame, because I ADORE the art style and items. 

All I know is that A Link Between Worlds better be a challenge. Do it right Nintendo. I want to struggle!

A lot of my problems with WW come down to the pacing. It makes almost everything far more padded out than necessary. Not to mention, there already aren't many dungeons and some of the gimmicks in them are kind of terribly executed.

ocarina of time is overrated.

god I'm gonna get so much backlash for that :D

Would you mind going into detail on why you feel that way about the game?

Would you mind going into detail on why you feel that way about the game?

well the definition of overrated is when millions of people praise it for years and years. and ocarina of time fits this. I don't have anything against the game though. I may not LOVE it like most people but I don't hate it.

well the definition of overrated is when millions of people praise it for years and years. and ocarina of time fits this.

You're missing the part where it has to not deserve that praise.

I'm not particularly a fan of OoT (MM's way better), but the game deserves some serious respect for nailing down the 3D Zelda formula on the first shot, being a spectacular game for its time and for still holding up well even today.

• Thumbs Up 6

You're missing the part where it has to not deserve that praise.

I'm not particularly a fan of OoT (MM's way better), but the game deserves some serious respect for nailing down the 3D Zelda formula on the first shot, being a spectacular game for its time and for still holding up well even today.

In addition to this, Ocarina of Time got some aspects right that the other 4 3D Zeldas struggle with every time. Namely, by throwing the player straight into the main gameplay right away and not choking them with tutorials and unnappealing gameplay styles.

On the subject of avoiding tutorials - one of the biggest appeals to Majora's Mask for me was how it started with an action scene.  That game had the advantage of being able to assume people had played Ocarina of Time, or at the very least have OoT's existence as a justification of not starting off with "happy day to day life establish the home town" gameplay like every other 3D Zelda has.

I'd really love another Zelda game that, even if it's a new Link, throws us in at a tense moment to his story.  Actually as much as I disliked the game overall, I do always have a soft spot for ALTTP's opening for doing the same thing.

Like, seriously a 3D Zelda that starts at a tense moment again would be amazing.  If they manage to make the first three dungeons NOT be Forest, Fire and Water too, bonus points.

• Thumbs Up 4

In addition to this, Ocarina of Time got some aspects right that the other 4 3D Zeldas struggle with every time. Namely, by throwing the player straight into the main gameplay right away and not choking them with tutorials and unnappealing gameplay styles.

Where are the tedious tutorials and unappealing play styles in MM again...?

Where are the tedious tutorials and unappealing play styles in MM again...?

I'm going to be honest. I don't really like that first bit of Majora's Mask where they throw you into termina and have you fuck around for 3 in game days as Deku Link. 

I'm going to be honest. I don't really like that first bit of Majora's Mask where they throw you into termina and have you fuck around for 3 in game days as Deku Link. 

Time goes a lot faster during that three day period, and there's plenty to do to keep you busy during that time.

Not only that, it really hammers home the feeling of helplessness; for fucks sake, you can't even manage to leave the main town, let alone stop the fucking moon from falling.

Edited by Master of Disguise Wario

Just dance with the fucking Scatecrow to skip all those days.

>entire world in immediate danger

>dance for 72 hours straight

• Thumbs Up 5

Just dance with the fucking Scatecrow to skip all those days.

Don't forget the moon's tear :D.

Time goes a lot faster during that three day period, and there's plenty to do to keep you busy during that time.

Not only that, it really hammers home the feeling of helplessness; for fucks sake, you can't even manage to leave the main town, let alone stop the fucking moon from falling.

It serves the game well from a narrative perspective, but from a gameplay perspective, I kinda prefer to be thrown straight into the action.

Which, admittedly, Majora's Mask still does better than Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, and especially Twilight Princess, but still.