Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

I don't know if it was because the moon scared me senseless or the fact that the beginning just bored the heck out of me but I couldn't really get into majora's mask and I really couldn't see what everyone was praising it on for (the song of time to restart a day thing was kind of a killer for me). Maybe its because I need to play it a bit further (which would be possible if it weren't for that stupid moon staring down at me 24/7) but playing the first hour or so really didn't get me too into it plus, while im not particularly too keen on harping on graphics wind waker makes me feel really good playing it because of the cel shading while MM just gives me a very dark feeling.

Well, I have only played OoT, and WW, but would love to give MM a try, but cant do the actual one on my N64 because I sadly dont have the expansion, if they ever released it on the Wii-u eshop I would pick it up in a minute(or emulator, but not the same)

Where are the tedious tutorials and unappealing play styles in MM again...?

To be honest, while it's better than the games that came after, the first cycle is seriously annoying to replay. There really isn't much of value that you can do...there's maybe 3 heart pieces you can get, you can buy a bomb bag but there's not much point...if you glitch out of Clock Town you can buy an extra map or two...but that's about it, and even if you skip ahead with the scarecrow you'll probably end up with nothing to do at least for a little while.

Thematically it's really cool, but it is an obstacle on a replay, same as the other games' tutorials.

... while MM just gives me a very dark feeling.
Oh that's definitely intentional. MM is definitely meant to be weird and unsettling.
  • Thumbs Up 3

well the definition of overrated is when millions of people praise it for years and years. and ocarina of time fits this. I don't have anything against the game though. I may not LOVE it like most people but I don't hate it.

No, the definition of overrated would be when you think something gets too much credit. It's an entirely subjective term.

Also, don't come here and say things like that purely to goad for attention. Think what you like about OoT, people here don't mind (personally, I don't like it at all), but just saying something in an effort to be controversial will only result in people laughing at your feeble attempts to troll.

• Thumbs Up 4

On the subject of stupid handholding, painfully long tutorials, and "well uh this is the hometown sure is peaceful huh" crap - I'd really like to see a Zelda story start in medias res for once. We can get the happy happy towny crap later, sure, but I want the tutorial to be engaging.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the subject of stupid handholding, painfully long tutorials, and "well uh this is the hometown sure is peaceful huh" crap - I'd really like to see a Zelda story start in medias res for once. We can get the happy happy towny crap later, sure, but I want the tutorial to be engaging.

Majora's Mask started with you getting basically all your shit jacked by some asshole kid and then getting cursed. That was pretty cool. More stuff like that, yeah? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Majora's Mask started with you getting basically all your shit jacked by some asshole kid and then getting cursed. That was pretty cool. More stuff like that, yeah? 

Absolutely.

Hell, even a calmer opening is fine by me too so long it isn't the same old crap we've been getting since Ocarina of Time, bar Majora's Mask. Shadow of the Colossus and Persona 4 are two of my favorite games of all time - started slow, but hit you with some kind of hook right from the beginning, be it interesting characters and fun dialogue in P4's case, or a somber and mysterious tone with SotC that really draws you in.

I think we can all agree that we're sick of "boy my hometown sure is peaceful oh no something bad is happening" openings by now.  I'd like a Zelda to open with some action, like Link is already an established fighter (perhaps a royal knight or something?) and you're fending barbarians off from Hyrule Castle, or in the middle of a huge battle with a neighboring kingdom.

That's something I'd like explored; the area surrounding Hyrule.  Yeah, we know all about Hyrule, but we know nothing of the rest of the planet.  I highly doubt everyone in the fucking world knelt to the same crown.

I dunno….

Calmer opening help establish characters, and their personalities, in that sense I always enjoyed the way games like Skyward Sword opened up, but I guess I just don't find that sort of thing super tedious.

• Thumbs Up 6

I wouldn't even mind Link's humble beginnings if if it didn't always lead to a slow ass tutorial provolone or a shitty stealth section or something along those lines. Do what Ocarina of Time did. Give the player a little mini objective that makes them explore the area and learn the basics and then let them go on their way.

We also got to know the characters because talking to them not only yielded gameplay tips but let us know more about them. It wasn't something we were FORCED to go through though.

Edited by Smoky Progg

I dunno….

Calmer opening help establish characters, and their personalities, in that sense I always enjoyed the way games like Skyward Sword opened up, but I guess I just don't find that sort of thing super tedious.

It's just that it's become such a checklist.

1.  Orphan of humble beginnings.

2.  Knows little to no swordplay/combat skills.

3.  Has a female companion.

4.  Something bad happens to said companion.

5.  "I'll let you borrow this sword, just be careful with it."

6.  Zelda stuff

It's just that it's become such a checklist.

1.  Orphan of humble beginnings.

2.  Knows little to no swordplay/combat skills.

3.  Has a female companion.

4.  Something bad happens to said companion.

5.  "I'll let you borrow this sword, just be careful with it."

6.  Zelda stuff

I'll give Skyward Sword credit for having much better characters so the beginning didn't seem like nearly as much of a slog until I replayed it. In Twilight Princess though, I wasn't really given much of a reason to give a shit about the characters in the first place. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think we can all agree that we're sick of "boy my hometown sure is peaceful oh no something bad is happening" openings by now.

Eh, not necessarily. I'm not opposed to other kinds of openings, but I think there's a lot of possible variations on that basic idea that could keep it fresh. They just need to work on having it make a stronger and more unique impression, faster, than the last few games.

I'll give Skyward Sword credit for having much better characters so the beginning didn't seem like nearly as much of a slog until I replayed it. In Twilight Princess though, I wasn't really given much of a reason to give a shit about the characters in the first place. 

I don't blame you.

Malo.png

Not even a mother could love that face.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

So I've been playing A Link to the Past lately.

It's been a really fucking good game so far, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

tumblr_inline_mwrdvw72IM1s8q03t.png

Until I got to this fucking thing

This is Moldorm. I have been a gamer for 17 years and I can say without a doubt this is the most horribly designed boss I've ever faced.

A.I.

IT's A.I. is all over the place, it has no distinct patern and can take up to 5 minutes just for it to get out of a fucking corner. Pair this unpredictability along with

The Pits

This boss is surounded by pits as you can see. Think you take damage from those pits? Nope, that would be logical design! It resets the boss from the begining and you have to fight it's shit A.I. fully revitalized. You may think "Oh, well it looks like you have enough room to manuver" well you fucking don't. The knock back Link takes is enough to send him straight into the pit or right next to the ledge no matter where on the screen you are.

The Entry Point

tumblr_inline_mwrdw7lObg1s8q03t.png

You enter this boss by leaping off this wall. Well, that's great and all, but the fucking boss can block your entry as seen here. It can take a long time for it to move out of the way because of, again, it's A.I.

Its last resort move

This boss is already faster than Link as is, what does it do for the pinch move? It goes twice as fast and you have to hit it's tiny ass hitbox at that speed.

The strategy is luck based

I spent nearly an hour trying to beat this thing. What you have to do is get it to see you, and then it will charge straight forward so you can move out of the way to hit the tail. Good luck having the A.I. actually work for this strategy reliably. When it charged at, and I moved out of the way, it would sometimes at pure random turn straight at me, and sometimes not. There's no indication that it's actually charging at you either.

"Well I found t easy" I found Shadow easy. It's still shit.

"Well I enjoyed it" I enjoyed Perfect Dark Gaia. It's still shit.

Fuck this boss. Whoever designed and programmed this fucking thing had to be a moron. I sincerely hope A Link Between Worlds doesn't  have something like this.

Regardless, if you can tell me a reliable strategy for this thing, I'm all ears.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

So I was watching Game theory, and there are two videos that really caught my interest.

and

Pretty interesting, I would recommend watching them. What are your thoughts on these? Personally, I think these theories make some pretty good sense. Never thought about the possibility that link is dead. Although I did know about the multiverse thing in the second video....kinda.(still don't agree on the whole all games are canon but in a different universe thing.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't plan to get it any time soon, but is there anyone here who loved ALBW but hated ALTTP?  The new one is getting such high praises I keep being tempted, but the SNES one gets nothing but high praised too and I found it boring/confusing as hell, so yeah.  Can it be recommended?

What are your thoughts on these?

I only watched the first one, but it sounds like a load of shit to me. MM deals with death, sure, but trying to warp that into "Link fell in a hole and died" is reaching far beyond what the game offers.
  • Thumbs Up 2

The video was a really good one, but I didn't like how much stuff they put into the falling scene.  I far prefer the interpretation that he got lost in the woods and became a Stalfos, though at the same time it feels like too depressing/simple an end after everything he went through in OoT.  There's also shit tons of moments in the series where they toss out fall damage for cut-scenes (pretty much any boss room that you drop into ever).

TP Link is OOT Link's descendant. Do you think OOT Link fathered children when he was a kid?

Or how about how MM's manual states that Termina is a parallel universe.

Theory disproved.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a good video, but that whole part of the discussion was weird to me. Like... was anyone under the impression that Termina was just underground or somewhere else on the planet? It always seemed pretty plain to me that it was meant to be an alternate reality or a dream or something else otherworldly, even without getting into supplemental materials.

I don't plan to get it any time soon, but is there anyone here who loved ALBW but hated ALTTP?  The new one is getting such high praises I keep being tempted, but the SNES one gets nothing but high praised too and I found it boring/confusing as hell, so yeah.  Can it be recommended?

ALttP is one of my least favourite Zeldas, mainly because it doesn't have much of a personality. It's a decent enough game, but it all feels very samey, and there's no meat to the story or characters to keep you attached. It's like a rough draft for what the series would eventually become.

ALBW fixes pretty much every problem I personally had with ALttP. It's still not particularly deep, but the world feels properly alive, there are some actual characters, and every dungeon is a lot more distinct (and there are practically no "push X random block out of the fifty in this room to open the door"-type puzzles, if that's a concern). The item renting system is mostly pretty great too; the freedom it gives you really does make the same ol' overworld from ALttP feel fresh and worth exploring.

I dunno if it'll win you over if 2D Zelda just isn't your thing, though. If you've tried Link's Awakening, the Oracle games or The Minish Cap and you weren't impressed with those... well, most of my issues with ALttP weren't in those games either, so ALBW might not do much for you.

(go listen to the soundtrack, though, no matter what you do)

• Thumbs Up 3

I did enjoy Link's Awakening as a kid but not Oracles or Minish Cap.  Maybe I'll get ALBW if I see it cheap.  Thanks for the insight!