Awoo.

Zelda Topic

VO.SUPER

"In addition, we have already announced that we are now developing the next title for the orthodox “The Legend of Zelda” series for Wii U, and that it will be an “open world,” as announced at E3. I prefer not to use the generally used term “open world” when developing software, but we used this term in order to make it easier for consumers to understand. This term means that there is a large world in which players can do numerous things daily. In the traditional “The Legend of Zelda” series, the player would play one dungeon at a time. For example, if there are eight dungeons, at the fourth dungeon, some players may think, “I’m already halfway through the game,” while other players may think, “I still have half of the game to play.” We are trying to gradually break down such mechanism and develop a game style in which you can enjoy “The Legend of Zelda” freely in a vast world, whenever you find the time to do so. 

At the halfway point to achieving this goal, we released “The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds” for Nintendo 3DS last year. We created the games in the traditional “The Legend of Zelda” series in steps that players could easily understand and follow; the player would obtain a new item in each dungeon, use the item to clear that dungeon and be able to enjoy applying the items in different ways after acquiring about eight items. However, in “The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds,” we broke that down and let the player rent different items from the beginning, so the player could use different combinations of items. In this way, we are gradually changing the structure of “The Legend of Zelda” series, and we are preparing to newly evolve the series for Wii U. In addition to that, we have ideas for Nintendo 3DS which we have not announced yet, so I hope you will look forward to them."

More vauge talk of changing the structure of the series. What's interesting to me though is how he mentions that the player will have "numerous things to do daily" in the open world. I wonder how they're planning on doing that.

Also, we can expect another 3DS Zelda game as well I guess. Cool.

Probably Majora's Mask 3D. Anything else would be stupid. They should be getting the Zelda for their 3DS successor ready.

The next few years should look something like this:

Hyrule Warriors

Legend of Zelda U

Majora's Mask 3D (15th Anniversary)

2016 (30th Anniversary)

Twilight Princess HD (10th Anniversary)

Zelda for 3DS successor

The 3DS successor game would also eventually be playable for the next home console when it's released, going by what their comments on their next consoles.

Something else I'd like for the 30th Anniversary game: For the 25th Anniversary we went back to the beginning of the story, so for this it would be cool to go further into the future and continue some time after Adventure of Link. Gameplay should be something along the lines of ALBW.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unacceptable when using a well used control scheme, but Aonuma had been making Skyward Sword for five years, that's starting from the beginning of the Wii's life cycle when the technology was especially faulty. This was in tandem with Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass so you can see this game must have been evolving with the technology at the time while struggling with other projects being done. 

But I see your point on why you don't like motion controls. However, I don't see your point on why they shouldn't come back. When the D-pad was a new thing and games back then had their own clumsiness, designers still made good games out of it and continued to improve. Even the guy in the video admitted that Skyward Sword wasn't a bad game, and even if he says he doesn't want 1:1 controls because he had a less than perfect performance than most people had, it doesn't change the fact that people saw potential and liked it too. If there is a large liking for a concept, then continuing it isn't an invalid decision.

I didn't say either of those things.  I too, enjoyed the motion controls, I was just pointing out the fact that they weren't perfect and it is valid to criticise them.  I.e, talk about the development EXPLAINS flaws in the motion controls, but it doesn't make those flaws disappear or the game any more fun.

I'm going to take this moment to say that Wind Waker is the best Zelda game ever created.

Though now that I think about it, every Zelda game I've played is amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, one of the big points that 45 minute video Discoid posted that I just praised is about the motion controls. Watch 2:42 -> 5:56.

Though the too long; didn't watch version of it is that he says the controls work 95% of the time... which is completely unacceptable for something you use all the way through the game.

Oh fair enough. ^^ Guess I'm gonna have to watch the review fully too, because I didn't think Skyward Sword was THAT bad. It tried to be different and had a few flaws, but it was alright.

2016 (30th Anniversary)

Twilight Princess HD (10th Anniversary)

why would they remaster Twilight Princess?

Yeah agreed with Solkia, no need to remaster, you're acting like it's gonna be 10 years old in a year and half's time or somethi-- o-oh god

• Thumbs Up 2

Twilight Princess should just be forgotten about, honestly.

Hey now. I don't respect Twilight Princess much for being a shallow follow up to OOT, but it's still a good game in it's own right. Yes, it has its issues with dungeon items, and difficulty, but there is plenty of fun to experience with the game still.

Twilight Princess wasn't actually a bad game by any means so I don't see why it should just be forgotten about. 

Twilight Princess should just be forgotten about, honestly.

hy69.png

Seriously What?  We're not talking about friggin Shadow the Hedgehog here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just thought that it was an extremely terrible entry in the franchise.

The dark and gritty look just doesn't fit the Zelda universe, imo. Not to mention that the plot didn't interest me at all, the game was full of pacing issues and boring content, and the music was a mixed bag. I'll stick to Wind Waker and, yes, even Ocarina of Time.

hy69.png

Seriously What?  We're not talking about friggin Shadow the Hedgehog here.

Honestly, a lot of this was to a fault I find, and more fueled by false hype from the WW hating crowd. Remember when the game scored an 8.8 from Gamespot and the internet sent death threats to the reviewer and got him fired?

I just thought that it was an extremely terrible entry in the franchise.

The dark and gritty look just doesn't fit the Zelda universe, imo. Not to mention that the plot didn't interest me at all, the game was full of pacing issues and boring content, and the music was a mixed bag. I'll stick to Wind Waker and, yes, even Ocarina of Time.

Majora has a dark... twisted (not gritty) look and it's just fine for what it is. I think Twilight Princess suffers from just being souless in it's darkness. It doesn't feel like a game Nintendo really wanted to pursue. 

TP was dull as shit and the number of things I care about it in I can list on one hand (Midna, the yetis, the spinner/Stallord fight, the old west style shootout...and that's about it). If we're going to forget about a 3D Zelda, it's first on my list.

• Thumbs Up 8

It just had a bit more steampunk and some dilapidated areas to it.  Overall the game was no more dark and gritty than OoT or MM.  It just feels less stylised than those games because the characters have more polygons.

EDIT: Well... actually don't get me wrong, it's leagues below MM in terms of inventiveness and uniqueness, just saying it's similar on the "dark" scale.

Twilight Princess is the second best selling Zelda game in the series. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Also, I honestly thought the art style was a nice change of pace, considering they just would not let up on giving a lot of the minor Zelda games the Wind Waker look before and even after TP came out.

I think Twilight Princess would be awesome getting a remaster.

It may actually make those dull, muddy graphics actually look more appealing.

I'm not saying it should be forgotten.

I'm saying it already plays in widescreen and looks good. Maybe when the Wii Poo comes out in 2020 and runs 4k at 120Hz  with the new controller that looks like a condom dispenser when Wii copies go for $80 used then an upgrade could be cool.

• Thumbs Up 5

Twilight Princess is the second best selling Zelda game in the series. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Also, I honestly thought the art style was a nice change of pace, considering they just would not let up on giving a lot of the minor Zelda games the Wind Waker look before and even after TP came out.

Let's be fair. When Twilight Princess released, only three games had the WW style. And only one of them uses it effectively. 

It just had a bit more steampunk and some dilapidated areas to it.  Overall the game was no more dark and gritty than OoT or MM.  It just feels less stylised than those games because the characters have more polygons.

EDIT: Well... actually don't get me wrong, it's leagues below MM in terms of inventiveness and uniqueness, just saying it's similar on the "dark" scale.

The steampunk was way too down to earth if you ask me. The best we had was the canon to the sky, and that was only one thing. Twilight Princess had an overabundance of ancient ruins, just like the games before it and even then those games had more steampunk, what with MM's Great Bay. Hell, even SS got cool machinery down better than it.  

Honestly, the game suffered from not really playing with the Twilight realm as well as it could and using an overextensive bloom.

And some of the attempts at being dark comes off as, forced at times, like in this cutscene. 

It's like Nintendo saying; hey we can totally do this creepy shit just for the sake of it being there and you'll love it.

I'd be down with Twilight Princess HD. The visuals could really make the most of stronger hardware and probably give a good atmosphere to environments too. Even with the game's dreadfully slow start I still think it's a great title.

I'll always remember TP as being the first Zelda game that decided to shake things up to a major extent after MM and WW pretty much just expanded on the dungeon concepts of OoT without doing that much new (WW had plenty new items but still felt the need to go through the motions with the iron boots and hookshot and fire/ice/light arrows and mirror shield and so on and so forth).

TP was way more daring in introducing a bunch of new concepts WHILE also throwing out quite a fair bit of stuff that had already been done to death.  A lot of those concepts were love em or hate em and were used exclusively in the dungeon you got them etc but that didn't make them any less FUN to me, just different.  It's definitely my least fave of the first four 3D Zeldas but honestly that's like having to choose a least favourite Pixar film that ISN'T cars y'know it's still so good and I've replayed it a whole bunch of times.

But god I can't afford to get into a debate about this now it's 5am I'm out lol.

At the end of the day there's no way Nintendo don't consider it a success in some form and they are certainly not disregarding it as a major title any time soon considering the strong representation of it in Brawl, Smash 4 and Hyrule Warriors.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Twilight Princess made a mistake in saving most of the new  and interesting stuff for the second half. Makes replaying it a little bit of a drag. It's still a 3D Zelda game so it's still REALLY good, especially on your first time through, but yeah.

I generally put it above Wind Waker but below the other 3D Zeldas. 

I think Twilight Princess made a mistake in saving most of the new  and interesting stuff for the second half. Makes replaying it a little bit of a drag. It's still a 3D Zelda game so it's still REALLY good, especially on your first time through, but yeah.

I generally put it above Wind Waker but below the other 3D Zeldas. 

It does pick up once you're allowed to go Wolf whenever you want, but there was so many instances of "hey guys do you remember OoT!?" That it got tiring at times and really made the game lose it's own identity a bit

I'll always remember TP as being the first Zelda game that decided to shake things up to a major extent after MM and WW pretty much just expanded on the dungeon concepts of OoT without doing that much new (WW had plenty new items but still felt the need to go through the motions with the iron boots and hookshot and fire/ice/light arrows and mirror shield and so on and so forth).

TP was way more daring in introducing a bunch of new concepts WHILE also throwing out quite a fair bit of stuff that had already been done to death.  A lot of those concepts were love em or hate em and were used exclusively in the dungeon you got them etc but that didn't make them any less FUN to me, just different.  It's definitely my least fave of the first four 3D Zeldas but honestly that's like having to choose a least favourite Pixar film that ISN'T cars y'know it's still so good and I've replayed it a whole bunch of times.

But god I can't afford to get into a debate about this now it's 5am I'm out lol.

At the end of the day there's no way Nintendo don't consider it a success in some form and they are certainly not disregarding it as a major title any time soon considering the strong representation of it in Brawl, Smash 4 and Hyrule Warriors.

What new concepts? A wolf that was underutilized and underdeveloped? A fairly straightforward story that tricks you into thinking it goes into a different direction when midway through we learn it's just the same plot retreads as before? A return to a near copy of old Hyrule expanded? I'll give you the dungeon items, because they were very good updates, but had little use outside their dungeons.

Majora at least added the idea of transformation masks to expand on the options Link had on him without the use of extraneous items. That was a shake up. Adding a time limit that allowed for a living breathing world that could not be done in any other Zelda game before and add an extra set of pressure on the player while still being forgiving. That's a shake up. 

WW at least added the sea, allowing for a more diverse overworld with what was on it. (If you think the Great Sea was just an empty mass, you're blind.)

• Thumbs Up 2

It does pick up once you're allowed to go Wolf whenever you want, but there was so many instances of "hey guys do you remember OoT!?" That it got tiring at times and really made the game lose it's own identity a bit

Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all reference Ocarina of Time a lot. I guess Wind Waker and Skyward Sword do a better job of tying the references into the story instead of having references for the sake of having them, but honestly I didn't think the references were that much worse than they were in the other games.

• Thumbs Up 1