Awoo.

Sonic 2006 Re-Release?

MachSpeed

Yeah, I had a feeling that there had been some sort of downgrade for most of the pre-rendered scenes; to me, it's most notable with Silver's final one. There's times when it looks completely like in-game footage and times where it kinda looks a bit higher quality, but all in all it never really approaches the quality level of first cutscene in Soleanna. It was just weird.

When I watched Silver's final cutscene the first time I didn't even realize it wasn't in-game footage, and thought it was weird that Sonic got a pre-rendered one but Silver didn't.

Jeez, they rushed this game so fast they didn't even have time to do the bloody cutscenes properly.

Jeez, they rushed this game so fast they didn't even have time to do bloody ANYTHING properly.

Fixed.

Most of this game's problems stems from total lack of bug testing in all fields. it is pretty amazing that this game's cutscenes ran the way they did.

And going back to the previous convosation for a second, I'm not defending this game in anyway. Before we found out that Machfuckwad was Justin again I was simply stating that dispite this games problems, I would still like to see a PC re-release and there is interest there for it mainly among the hacker communites like Retro, you guys being just a Sonic community I can understand the total dislike for having this game re-released. This game has clear problems and a re-release beyond anything that is a PC port is a waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

How did they get the music down so well when everything else was rushed as hell?

Most likely that the music department is known of projects months in advance and have tons of time to gather composers, record basic templates for tracks, editing tracks, etc. etc. the tracks were probably near finalized when this game started getting rushed.

Edited by goku262002

How did they get the music down so well when everything else was rushed as hell?

As Goku said, the sound team is practically totally independent of everything else. Graphics, gameplay, story and such all have to be worked on simultaneously with things going in synchro. Music though? You can pretty much get on with that yourself with none of the complication that other departments have.

I imagine that the music team at least have to an idea of what a scene, level, etc looks like so they can make the appropriate music themes.

I imagine that the music team at least have to an idea of what a scene, level, etc looks like so they can make the appropriate music themes.

Of course, but their work would start later than everything else. And if they want to scrap something and start again, they can do that. There's no such thing as bug testing music, drawing up concept art, spending hours just rendering the light maps. The music department involved a lot less work simply by default. I believe Richard Jacques wrote the entire S3D soundtrack in around two weeks- writing an act 1 track in the morning and reworking it to act 2 in the afternoon. Granted it was a small game and he was given a very limited time frame, it's a testament to how different it is to everything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely, IF they fix all of the glitches and such. And give Sonic his actual look. I mean in Sonic 06 when I saw Mephiles I thought: "Wow, Mephiles and Sonic's mouthes are alike, wait.. Mephiles doesn't have a mouth, LIKE SONIC!" I mean seriously. Only thing that would stink about it is that they would have to use Sonic's crappy new voice actor.

Definitely, IF they fix all of the glitches and such.
This kind of talk implies that absurdly repetitive Homing Attack spamming, awful physics puzzles, boring and featureless hub worlds with hilariously unimaginative NPCs and sidequests, crap level design and poor moveset differentiation can be classed as "glitches", or for that matter anything even remotely resembling an oversight. It really, really bothers me that people still think it can be that simple, because it's not as if being unable to stand at the apex of a loop upside down or removing the ability to literally Homing Attack into the sun at complete random would actually make '06 an enjoyable game so much as an extremely bland but functional one with dumbass design and an incredibly stupid and narm-y plot.

Only thing that would stink about it is that they would have to use Sonic's crappy new voice actor.
Really? As opposed to who, Jason? It's not like any of the other actors thus far are anything to write home about. I honestly still don't understand why people fight over them beyond simple dialogue direction that they're ultimately not responsible for.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Only thing that would stink about it is that they would have to use Sonic's crappy new voice actor.

Griffith's performance in 06 was utterly abysmal. Anything Roger Craig Smith has done during his time as Sonic is infinitely better

• Thumbs Up 1

No. No they really did not remix. There's minimal similarities between Sunset Park 3 and The Inlet. Minimal, coincidental similarities between the two on occasion, when the rest of the time they are completely different.

As much as 06 has plenty of level design issues, I wonder how many of them are because they had to rush to make the levels and sidequests and were like "shit shit guys we need to come up with something". Probably not, but meh. It seems like the first segment of Kingdom Valley, being the demo portion, is actually reasonably well designed (until you get to that same section in End of the World - typical that they reused the good part and make it nigh unplayable) and there's even a shortcut at the very start where you can grab an eagle that flies above you. I suspect this is because it's one of the oldest parts of the game.

I mean the concepts would still be there and there are a few decent ones, but the level design is ass because they didn't have time or couldn't be bothered to finish it or make it interesting (damn you Aquatic Base for being perfect in everything aesthetically but the actual level layout being boring as shit).

Edited by Semi-colon e

I mean the concepts would still be there and there are a few decent ones, but the level design is ass because they didn't have time or couldn't be bothered to finish it or make it interesting (damn you Aquatic Base for being perfect in everything aesthetically but the actual level layout being boring as shit).

Or the level design is ass because they built the levels with three extremely different types of gameplay in mind for a very wonky and incomplete engine. Sometimes I can appreciate what they were trying to do with the layouts (see Flame Core it's abundance of platforming), but ultimately it all fell flat on its face (see Flame Core and it's abundance of broken platforming).

No. No they really did not remix. There's minimal similarities between Sunset Park 3 and The Inlet. Minimal, coincidental similarities between the two on occasion, when the rest of the time they are completely different.

Yeah, I'm sure the Gamegear drums also doing the amen break is just a coincidence and it's also a coincidence that they're layered over the hook in the same way.

This isn't like the thing

and a
where it's probably plagiarism, the same guy composed both tracks.

Yeah, I'm sure the Gamegear drums also doing the amen break is just a coincidence and it's also a coincidence that they're layered over the hook in the same way.

This isn't like the thing

and a
where it's probably plagiarism, the same guy composed both tracks.

Tomoya Ohtani uses the amen break in practically everything, but that doesn't make half of the Unleashed soundtrack a remix of Sunset Park. Actually, 'The Inlet' was a joint effort between Ohtani and Mariko Nanba. I don't see either of their names in the credits for Triple Trouble according to SEGA and Sonic Retro.

If you are wondering why the music is so good, that's because it was taken from other games, well that might not be true.

But considering Mission theme 4 has the same melody as Flash man's theme from Mega man 2 it's a pretty big coincedence.

While the Flash Man thing is pretty blatant, I can barely hear any similarities between Sunset Park and The Inlet. In fact a large section of the latter is a faster paced remix of The Water's Edge.

In any case, most of the rest of the music sounds pretty original and fantastic to me. Aquatic Base, Flame Core, Crisis City being the standouts.

Yeah, I admit to liking a lot of the soundtrack too, the one thing I'd say was genuinely great. Although I don't favor Solaris Phase 2 (or His World in general) nearly as much as most (mainly for simply not being a favourite, but also because - much like most of the lyric songs - it overshadows everything else). I'm more a guy who prefers tunes like Wave Ocean, Aquatic Base, Egg Wyvern, and Solaris Phase 1.

Since I don't really give enough of a shit about this game, I guess I'll say this for the millionth time

Can someone tell me what was so bad about Jason Griffith after 06?

Nothing, really.

As I've said before, I assume it's usually the voice directing that causes the hilarity, not the voices themselves. Hence why he sounds a lot better in later games like Unleashed and Black Knight as opposed to earlier ones like 2006 and ShtH.

But I'll leave it at that, since I don't want to unintentionally start yet another voice war, especially since I tend to like most of the voices regardless of which "era" they come from.

Since I don't really give enough of a shit about this game, I guess I'll say this for the millionth time

Can someone tell me what was so bad about Jason Griffith after 06?

Personally I thought he was fine in early Sonic X. And in 06 everyone sounded terrible, so using examples from that as too how he is a bad voice actor is just silly. The only problem I've ever had with him is that all his different voices sound the same. This shouldn't be a problem in the slightest, but for some reason whoever is in charge of getting the voice acting felt the strange need to have Jason voice characters that aren't Sonic and Shadow.

It's super obvious that Prof. Pickles' assistant is voiced by Jason Griffith, so now funnily enough it's Sonic dancing with Amy, lulz.

Other than that, Jason is my favourite voice actor for Sonic, though I like RCS too and I'm fine with him.

Edited by Kiovle

Yeah, the voice acting is bad enough that even Mike Pollock is clearly not on form in 06. Rouge is the worst though. "No. That's not possible." Or the half hearted "aaaaa" when she falls down a bottomless pit.

Only Mephiles has half decent voice acting because it's hammy and DAN GREEN. Knuckles still doesn't work.