Awoo.

Sonic 2006 Re-Release?

MachSpeed

It's not that in itself, I'm not stupid. Of course it's to be expected that you'll often (though not always) have bias for the ones you grew up with, it's only natural. But there's a thin line between "preferring the games you're more familiar with" and "completely disregarding whether or not the game you like the most, as good or bad as it is, is truly worthy of the *insert franchise* name". At the very least, one could make it clear that he/she knows it's not a popular opinion, or something. It's one thing to simply state you like an unpopular game in a popular series, it's another thing entirely to act as if there is nothing at all wrong with that one game. And when that one Sonic game happens to be the one that gave us guns akimbo and amnesia and Halo aliens and boss robots Ivo would like to forget about all over the DAMN place... well.

For the record (and again, I won't point specific fingers), the one I had in mind wasn't from YouTube. It was, shockingly enough, DeviantART.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I remember that Youtube comment.

Not everyone grew up in the 80s/90s era, to some kids now Gamecube is an old console and the likes of Heroes, the Adventure ports, and Shadow are their classics. sad but true.

We can't fault them for something they grew up with and liked.

But we can fault them for failing to look at the such games objectively once they're old enough to have legitimate standards.

I liked Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 when I was 11/12. Now I consider both to be the absolute worst games I've played in my life. And for the record, I have gone back and played them recently. It was a torturous experience.

Hell, I hate to sound childish, but the only reason I played it - and still have the game - is simply to prove that yes, I did play the entire thing, and I'm not "just hatin'". From start to finish, from Wave Ocean to Solaris.

Bah, I washed it off with some S3&K.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell, I hate to sound childish, but the only reason I played it - and still have the game - is simply to prove that yes, I did play the entire thing, and I'm not "just hatin'". From start to finish, from Wave Ocean to Solaris.

Bah, I washed it off with some S3&K.

Eh, if it means anything, that's pretty much why I bought (and still have) it. I don't ever want to accused of complaining about games I didn't play...

The thing I've noticed with some of '06's defenders is that they're hopelessly clueless when it comes to defending the game. I've frequently come across it and I've even seen it twice on DA on my own Deviations. One couldn't argue worth shit when it came to debunking my points about '06's terribleness and One was blaming the console itself for the bugs rather than the game.

The level of loyalty this utter travesty garners by those who White Knight it is frankly unbelievable. The only thing that can possibly be honestly defended regarding this game is it's OST and FMV's, Shadow's portrayal (To an extent) and very very few of it's ideas and the fact that it doesn't show quite the level of technical ineptitude that Big Rigs does.

• Thumbs Up 7

The thing I've noticed with some of '06's defenders is that they're hopelessly clueless when it comes to defending the game. I've frequently come across it and I've even seen it twice on DA on my own Deviations. One couldn't argue worth shit when it came to debunking my points about '06's terribleness and One was blaming the console itself for the bugs rather than the game.

The level of loyalty this utter travesty garners by those who White Knight it is frankly unbelievable. The only thing that can possibly be honestly defended regarding this game is it's OST and FMV's, Shadow's portrayal (To an extent) and very very few of it's ideas and the fact that it doesn't show quite the level of technical ineptitude that Big Rigs does.

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Funnily enough, Knuckles' part in End of the World was the easiest part of the damn level for me.

Then came Silver's part... *shiver*

• Thumbs Up 2

Funnily enough, Knuckles' part in End of the World was the easiest part of the damn level for me.

Then came Silver's part... *shiver*

Honestly, I just randomly climbed and glided north-west. I got there almost instantly.

Then I fell through the ground yet again.

I honestly wouldn't object too much to something like this. The thing that kills Sonic '06 the most for me is the unbearable loading screens, and that's likely to be the only thing something that they would fix.

• Thumbs Up 3

So now that everyone agrees that Sonic '06 is the greatest boon to humanity in the last century, the next potential winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, and the single greatest threat of a second baby boom in American history, can we... talk about something else?

Edited by Soma

Whats there to talk about? this is a "Should we have 2006 re-released?" thread, all were gonna talk about IS 2006 in here (with references to other games of course).

Edited by goku262002

Whats there to talk about? this a "Should we have 2006 re-released?" thread, all were gonna talk about IS 2006 in here (with references to other games of course).

I meant on a larger scale. Like, just abandon topic. Everybody knows how these things end up, and the OP has been banned for whatever reason, so unless someone pops out of the woodwork to rant about their love of billiard ball puzzles the rest of this thread is just going to end up being a chorus of frustrated expletives.

Just let it go guys. The game can't hurt you now. The bad man's gone.

Edited by Soma

Sorry man, but a topic dies when it wants to, forcing it to stop isn't going to help. it'll die out like all topics, just a matter of when.

Well this is a completely pointless idea. First, why re-release a game that's available on current consoles, and second, why the fuck would you want to buy Sonic 2006 again? Even if we go with the OP's idea and say they remove everything aside from Sonic's levels (Which were also riddled with problems), well...why not just make a different game?

Aquatic Base and White Acropolis were great level concepts with shitty design. Everything else can go, Crisis City already had it's turn of redemption.

Also Shadow's part of End of the World is the worst. Silver's is mostly tedious but manageable if you use that teleport dash up the hills, but Shadow's essentially takes one of the best parts of the game (i.e. the demo portion of Kingdom Valley) and makes it nigh unplayable. And it's not even the orbs either, half the time it's those fucking purple bats with the energy balls that just hit me for like NO REASON.

Kind of ironic how the amigo characters play worse than the main characters yet their segments of EotW are fine in comparison to the main ones :S

Edited by Semi-colon e

So now that everyone agrees that Sonic '06 is the greatest boon to humanity in the last century, the next potential winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, and the single greatest threat of a second baby boom in American history, can we... talk about something else?

I mentioned this earlier:

Look, I understand that we might spend too much time dissing 2006. I understand that it's a broken record and that we should let go of that past stain for good. I more than anyone else here would love to do that... but when you get one or two threads a month or so about "Re-Release Sonic 2006" this and "Sonic 2006 wasn't THAT bad" that, it makes sense as to why we barely give it less of a chance than we already did to begin with. I suppose many of us would like nothing more than for the game to just go away.

I realise that constantly ranting about it doesn't make it actually go away, quite the opposite, but the point still stands. Every time we finally start to move on, some thread about the game not being that bad comes along and ruins everyone's fun.

If anything, that's actually yet another reason why I take even ShtH and the more tish Game Gear games like Labyrinth over this one. At least the Game Gear titles didn't bring a dark blanket of a franchise's reputation looming over us for eternity.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

You know, I wouldn't mind a rerelease.... The game itself is shit right now, horrible controls, stupid floors, " IT'S NO USE" And FUCK that ball!!!! Now that I think about it, a rerelease would be dumb, there was some hope in the game. It could've been some epic ass game going thru time and space, I mean the base is there.

If anything I say re MAKE the game with a better everything, but then like a number of people said already. Be easier and less costly to just make a better game. My first playthru wasn't that bad tho.. it's when I went to rebeat it that I faced all the problems I somehow MISSED. Sonic falling through the floor, second playthru, Sonic somehow being blasted to the sky on that mecha dog boss, ye---ah.

I take my first sentence back.... Sonic 06.... You had promise... but you ... I won't go as far as to say you're the WORST sonic game ever, ( two other sonic games top that list... and both were made in the 90's ) But you're pretty flawed buddy.

If they remove all those horrible bugs and controls that totally ruins the game, it could be a great game.

If they remove all those horrible bugs and controls that totally ruins the game, it could be a great game.

Not to desecrate.a long-dead horse any more than necessary, but the problems with this game stretch far beyond just the dodgy controls and rampant bugs...

• Thumbs Up 2

Just been playing Sonic 06. I never fully completed the game which is something I am about to rectify.

When you die (happens a lot) you seem to be thrown back by two or three missions which is frustrating. I died in White Acropolis - the controls in that level are laughable at best - so I have to go back to just after beating Silver. I have to meet up with knuckles all over again which means about three boring mission until I can enter White Acopolis again. Sigh....

Oh and after the Silver boss "it's no use" it always makes me laugh in the cutscene. Silver is about to kill Sonic, Amy intervens and says to Sonic "leave him to me". Makes me laugh that Sonic runs off and was perfectly happy to leave Amy (who obviously isn't defenceless, but you know what I mean) to fight a phsycotic hedgehog on her own.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

You don't autosave, that's all it is. You just need to save your progress after everything, save whenever you can. Not that this justifies not having an autosave feature though, mind...

You don't autosave, that's all it is. You just need to save your progress after everything, save whenever you can. Not that this justifies not having an autosave feature though, mind...

Yes your aboslutely right. Makes life a lot easier that's for sure. Thanks for the tip. Managed to scrape through White Acropolis with an A Rank.

Edited by MilesKnightwing