Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

As I was playing Prime 1, I kept a list of permanently missable scans and items on hand. I imagine I'll be doing the same for 2 once I get around to it.

Can anyone tell me how to make the Gamecube controls tollerable for Prime/Prime 2 so I can actually have fun with this? I can tell how awesome of a game it is, but the Gamecube controls just kill it for me.

Can anyone tell me how to make the Gamecube controls tollerable for Prime/Prime 2 so I can actually have fun with this? I can tell how awesome of a game it is, but the Gamecube controls just kill it for me.

Lock-on helps, and I mean a LOT. It's basically impossible to play it without lock-on.

Or you could re-buy a Wii and play the New Play Control games~

What's wrong with the Gamecube controls?

You control the camera by pressing left or right, and if you want to look up you have to maintain R pressed. And it's really annoying sometimes.

Edited by Blue Baron Wisp

What's wrong with the Gamecube controls?

When I manually move the camera so I can get within the lock-on range, I have to come to a dead stop. I can't believe how many times I have died to that ghost thing in the Phazon Mines because I had to come to a dead stop to lock on to it.

And yeah, I plan on getting the collection for christmas, even though I don't have a Wii anymore. I want to get it before the prices get insane.

Edited by Solkia-kun

When I manually move the camera so I can get within the lock-on range, I have to come to a dead stop. I can't believe how many times I have died to that ghost thing in the Phazon Mines because I had to come to a dead stop to lock on to it.

And yeah, I plan on getting the collection for christmas, even though I don't have a Wii anymore. I want to get it before the prices get insane.

Yeah, that's something you really can't change about the first 2 prime games. Thankfully, I believe the collection does fix that so you won't need to stand still to lock on to an enemy.

I just know I'm missing something stupid like the Ice Shriekbats in Prime 1 that only appear in one single room the first time you go through it.

The ice shriekbats respawn indefinitely until you defeat Thardus.

The Gamecube controls could be a bit stiff, but they didn't really bother me. I don't think I've been in many situations in which I was performing poorly in the game because of the controls.

Hell, I played the GC games AFTER I played Corruption, and I still wasn't that annoyed with the controls.

Solkia, after Thardus you could have gotten the Wavebuster in Chozo Ruins to kill that invisible drone in 3 seconds without any effort since it locks on to it automatically. I personally found the controls in the GC version better than traditional Lstick move/Rstick point controlls that typical console shooters use. There's really nothing like Keyboard & mouse controls though, and the wii pointer comes extremely close to simulating them, making MP Trilogy one of the smoothest most well controlled games you will ever play, if not THE smoothest... if you configure it correctly of course.

So wait, is Prime 1 set up kind of like Super Metroid? Where you can get things before the game tells you to?

Well shit, I should have known that...

And yeah, the Wii controls rock. I don't think I could properly play these games without them.

Edited by Solkia-kun

Unfortunately, no, not really. While it's nowhere close to being as strictly linear as a game like Fusion, it's still designed so that there's really only one way to make actual progress at any given time. The Wavebuster is just an optional upgrade that happens to be extremely useful for your situation.

Unfortunately, no, not really. While it's nowhere close to being as strictly linear as a game like Fusion, it's still designed so that there's really only one way to make actual progress at any given time. The Wavebuster is just an optional upgrade that happens to be extremely useful for your situation.

Well, there were sequence break opportunities, but Retro got rid of most of them in the later versions.

I'm just extremely pleased that The Prime games have optional upgrades at all.

I'll never forget how awe-struck I was when I discovered the morph ball jump upgrade in Super Metroid...and realised I wasted two hours trying to beat the ridiculously difficult morph ball maze in Ridley's region when I could've just morph ball jumped my way through it. Priceless!

So, uh, I'm going to try and beat Prime 1 after I've gotten caught up on One Piece, wish me luck.

please ;-;

May the Chozo be with you.

And try to avoid dying at the Omega Pirate.

I thought I'd post these just for the hell of it. It's the ability to sequence break like this which makes me love Metroid games so much. I just wish that Nintendo didn't keep trying to force the player on such a straight path, if these techniques are fun to use, let players use them.

And in the Wii version

Sequence breaking involves bugs and glitches, which good developers aren't keen on leaving in their games. Some could end up crashing the game and damaging files, too.

It's not surprising at all they patch them whenever possible.

But if these haven't been reported to break the game, then there's no need. And plus, I haven't seen patches to the original Super Metroid for that sort of thing. Sequence breaking in MetroidVania games to me are a non-issue because of the lack of linearity in the game already.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe Zero Mission was one game that actually had sequence breaking built. With some clever use of the morph ball shinespark you could get the Super Missile earlier than you were supposed to and from there open doors before you're supposed to. No accident, since the shortcut required specifically has speed booster blocks fit for a morph ball.

The beautiful thing about Super Metroid is that a lot of times you could sequence break without even knowing it by using the wall jump. My first playthrough, I got the Wave beam by sequence breaking without even knowing I did it since technically I was supposed to get the Ice Beam and Grapple Beam first and then backtrack to Norfair to get the Wave Beam. That game hardly relied on glitches to sequence break.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fusion had one of my favorite "sequence breaks." This was a pretty brilliantly hidden easter egg.

Edited by SuperStingray