Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

Well see this is the thing that bugs me. Sakamoto says he wanted to try and appeal to newcomers and those not into Metroid and stuff.

...so why did we get Team Ninja who are known for making brutally hard games? And why are we restricted to the D pad for movement in 3D in the name of simplicity, and the first person stuff being in the game that makes it so convoluted? And why are the cutscenes unskippable? He says he was trying to aim to casuals, but the game either beats you over the head with it, or it doesn't cater to the player at all, particularly the pixel hunt sections. It cares only about the developer.

An easier game to appeal to newcomers? Fine. A more story driven game with Team Ninja and challenges? Fine. But not in the same game for god sake!

Speaking of Zero Mission, I think that's the BEST way to start. You've got your nonlinearity and the first game chronologically, all the common upgrades, and the direction if you need. But it's certainly possible to go off the beaten path.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Perhaps this is why Other M was so dialogue heavy versus the rest of the series. It was meant as an introduction to the entire series as a whole. It was meant to appeal to non Metroid fans and introduce them to the gameplay style of Metroid. The linearity was also meant for simplification to ease them into the franchise.
So they decided to introduce people to Metroid gameplay by not giving them Metroid gameplay.

I'm not sure they thought that one through.

• Thumbs Up 4

If you're trying to make a game series accessible to newcomers, fine, but why would you change pretty much everything the series is known for? It gives newcomers a misleading taste of what the series is like, and in this case, it would probably turn a lot of people off to trying the other games.

In this regard, I guess Fusion is an okay game to get into the series with. It's more linear and not as easy to get lost in, since you have a computer helping you out along the way. That said, why would they make the "easy" game the last game chronologically? If someone wants to get into a series, chances are they aren't going to want to start off where the story ends.

The Space Jump in general is really bitchy for me. Mostly in Super Metroid and Zero Mission. It's like you have to time REALLY PERFECTLY when you double jump for it to work and it really annoys me.

Edited by Blue Baron Wisp

I don't remember it being particularly bad (although, I've only played through Super once, and it was a while back). The timing for it's never been that intuitive, though, so you might just have to play around with it a bit.

At least in Fusion and Zero Mission you can spin jump at will in mid-air to correct yourself. Super doesn't have that luxury, so failed Space Jumps are ANNOYING.

^well that too, I'm just saying it doesn't jump for me half of the time. I can do it perfectly in Fusion and Zero Mission.

Maybe it's the different physics.

Yeah, sometimes the Space Jump just doesn't do it. It depends on the point in mid-air at which you press the jump button. I could never figure out why it sometimes just stopped working. In fact, when I play with a Gamecube controller, sometimes jumping in general is finicky, like sometimes Samus does a shorter jump for no reason.

I guess that would be one small complaint against Super Metroid. I can't think of many more, though.

I guess that would be one small complaint against Super Metroid. I can't think of many more, though.

My complaint is that, and the fact that Maridia is really annoying. Then again Super Metroid isn't really my favourite game anyway.

My complaint is that, and the fact that Maridia is really annoying. Then again Super Metroid isn't really my favourite game anyway.

I'm always surprised when people say they didn't like Maridia. It's my favorite part of the game, personally. I find it very fun to explore, and it's lower area has beautiful music. It's my favorite water level in any game.

The sand pits were annoying, though.

Maybe it's for my general dislike of water-themed levels combined with Super Metroid's screwy physics that made me despite Maridia. The song was awesome though.

I found Maridia kind of hard to navigate (EDIT: Yes I had the Gravity Suit). that and the sand pit sections can kiss my ass.

Other than that Super Metroid is pretty awesome.

Edited by 2-Dollar Solkia

I've never been able to do the rope swing all the way across the ceiling in the huge open room in Maridia right before you get to the Space Jump. I always have to do the convoluted thing and swing up on the balloon animal things so I get to the block before the last swing. Then I miss that swing about five or six times before I finally pull it off.

I really hate precision rope swings in Super Metroid. There, that's something I don't like about the game. Everything else is pure gold.

You know, people were talking quite a bit about Prime 2, and so I decided to read the Prime 2 manga. It was enjoyable, though a bit over the top at times.

Edit: so far, I feel Samus isn't even the main of this story. She barely gets a line and the story doesn't even reach the agin temple.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Maridia was great, awesome even, I just really hated those sand pits that I could not get out of at first.

Q: Is that really the Space Pirate Homeworld?

A: Kinda. It's a world that is their home, but it's not the planet their species evolved on. Just one they conquered and said "This is ours - anybody who disagrees dies!" Same thing they did with Zebes. Zebesian Space Pirates are NOT native, man.

Well that's a relief. The way I had pieced it together, Space Pirates were completely gone from the universe after their vvery own planet had been invaded by the federation and Zebes blown up, I thought that the ones in Fusion were merely clones as well or at least leftover rouges that had become infected by X anyways. I hope we haven't seen the last of them though, they're an important staple to the franchise at this point, maybe even find their real homeworld at some point

The Space Pirates wouldn't need to be gone, there could be who knows how many of them off pirating in some other part of space.

Reggie confirmed on GTTV just the other day that Retro are indeed working on a "fantastic" game, and that we may see it before E3, at E3, or after E3...so...pretty much back to square one info wise.

I think we may have had this discussion already, but would you be willing to buy a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD collection if one were to be released? I would be first in line myself, even if it was just Prime 1 there would be no one who could stop me from obtaining it...

Prime Trilogy HD.....eh, if they made one, I probably wouldn't get it unless there was a lot of cool bonus content thrown in. Since I have all 3 games, I don't really see the need to get them again (I don't mind the Gamecube controls for 1 and 2).

As for Retro's game, I'd love to see them do another Metroid, but I'd honestly rather see them tackle a different franchise at this point. Preferably Star Fox or F-Zero. But once their new project is finished I think making a new Metroid would be a good move.

I initially was OK with Retro not doing another Metroid right now, maybe further on in the Wii U's lifetime...but I'm beginning to just feel starved for Metroid, and I'm not confident in Nintendo's ability to do the franchise justice unless it's 2D...

I'll be buying Retro's game most likely regardless of what franchise it is, but Metroid is my favorite series and I can't stop feeling worried Nintendo is setting it on the shelf next to F-Zero...

I doubt Metroid is gonna get shelved like F-Zero. Samus is still one of the most recognizable Nintendo characters behind Mario, Link, and Pikachu. They may take a break for a while, but I really don't think they're gonna just abandon it like they seemingly have with certain other series.

And I can't really decide if I want a 2D or a 3D Metroid next. Maybe a 3D one on Wii U and a 2.5D sidescroller on 3DS.

Edited by Gregzilla

I think Retro should do a Metroid title just to give the series a bandage after Other M's (exaggerated) impact. They're the ones I totally trust to handle the series, but I wonder how they would handle the task doing a non-first person Metroid 2D or 3D. Probably a stellar job anyways.

Edited by Prince Solaris