Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

You can vent Phazon energy into the Phaze-Ing to heal yourself and Hopper Metroids die from 2 hyper missiles if aimed straight at them.

I'm pretty sure this is the only real reason the Hyper Grapple exists, as there's no point in venting phazon energy into stuff when you can just shoot them before this point.

The best tips are for Dark Samus honestly, Hyper Missiles destroy the columns to give you anti-phazon units, the X-Ray Visor tracks the real one, try to kill the clones because they'll just reform with the real one and she'll be invincible for a few seconds too long, and Hyper Missiles can do a small amount of damage to the three Dark Samuses when they do that nigh impossible to avoid attack where they cluster into three and just spin around the screen.

And on AU313, if you've got health, and even if you really need it, take your time, don't get hit, destroy the Dark Echoes, and don't be tempted to destroy the mini-turret things to make it quicker because you really fucking need the units because after the initial drop of them where the last part begins, you're on your own and it's always where I die because of it. And that fucking spinning laser attack where you can't see where to hit it but you can't see where to avoid it either because it's a fucking pain in the ass!

Edited by Semi-colon e

One way of describing SA-X scenes that involve stealth: Hide & Seek: Life or Death edition. Anyone else still creeped out by the eyes of the SA-X?

I doubt it, in the next room you need the Speed Booster anyway right? And it's not like you can pick it up elsewhere or take a different route due to the whole authorisation super linear level design thing.

Pretty cool, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of AM2R it only recently caught my interest.

Metroid 2 Remake

Wow. Something about it still has the "fangame" look to it but it is barely noticeable and to complain about it would just be stupidly nitpicking. The graphics, the music, the control mechanics, everything about it looks so flawless I can feel atmosphere in this game better than in Zero Mission and that is impressive for a fan game. When is it gonna be finished? I really want wish nintendo would have made like a little downloadable 3DS remake of it like this in the vein of Metroid Zero Mission to give the game the justice that the GB could never do. But I guess this will do, once this comes out it will be the definitive Metroid 2. Sonic Fan Remix, Sonic 2 HD, eat your hearts out. This is agod among fangames.

let's also take a look at something else that I think deserves full attention

Metroid Blast

Ok so it's not exactly a Metroid game, nor does it have a Metroid feel or gameplay of exploration, but this game is still a fun little attraction and it does one thing right for the series, controls in 3rd person. Seriously, this game just from looking at it has an amazing concept of a controls scheme as well as other things, a lot better than what Other M offered. The idea of controlling the gunship is much better here than in even Metroid Prime 3, one player controling it and even allowing the ground Samus player to grapple onto it and fly around in it while still shooting it such an awesome concept. If it is just a glimpse at what the WiiU will offer the series then the Metroid U game can't get here soon enough! This minigame has already offered the series more than Other M has. (sorry Other M enthusiasts! I don't hate the game but it's just what I think!)

• Thumbs Up 2

I was also extremely pleased with how Metroid Blast played and controlled, it makes me optimistic that future developers will get their heads out of their asses and make a great Metroid title again.

• 1 month later...

I've been wondering how much damage from enemies is reduced with the dark suit, light suit, from metroid prime 2 and the hazard shield from metroid prime.

I've heard conflicting answers. Anyone know?

I've been wondering how much damage from enemies is reduced with the dark suit, light suit, from metroid prime 2 and the hazard shield from metroid prime.

I've heard conflicting answers. Anyone know?

Not sure about the Dark Suit due to how early you get it.

Edited by Volphied Chopin

I always thought the Dark Suit did reduce damage, but the Gravity Boost later in the game did not. I don't think the Hazard Shield reduces damage either.

Shall we discuss our favorite escape sequences since they are part of what makes Metroid what it is?

Shall we discuss our favorite escape sequences since they are part of what makes Metroid what it is?

I'm game.

The favourite escape sequence for me is Super Metroid, with Metroid Prime's space station at a close second. What puts Super Metroid's ending escape sequence at the top for me is frankly the fact that your escape takes you straight through the Space Pirate stronghold against a small army of their strongest variants...which you go through like a hot knife through butter. Giving you the Hyper Beam to defeat Mother Brain was cool, but letting you go nuts with it against lots of enemies during the escape was awesome. I also like the option of taking a detour to rescue the friendly alien creatures.

The Metroid Prime escape sequence just has really great aesthetics of "Oh my word, everything is falling apart and you gotta keep running or else-!" and bonus points for the first appearance of Ridley in 3D. Bonus bonus points for Prime Samus looking pissed off at the sight of him instead of a scaredy little girl who can't keep her Power Suit on.

(Yup, still bitter)

• Thumbs Up 7

Probably Super or Prime for the reasons just outlined, but honestly while I enjoy most of the escape sequences (fucking Dark Samus 3), I don't find them particularly strong or anything compared to say bosses and gaining power ups throughout the rest of the game.

At least they didn't make you do one after Phaaze...

Edited by Semi-colon e

I personally liked the escape from the pirate mothership in Zero Mission, the Prime 2 "get the hell out of here, this planet is gonna blow, but the real last boss is blocking you" feeling and when you had to fix the escape pod before the bomb destroyed the Elysian seed's shield in Prime 3 were my favorites.

I gotta say I really liked Prime 2's escape sequence. You've just destroyed the big Alpha Male of the entire species and have taken back the last of their stolen planetary energy and have to escape. Suddenly, you're in a showdown against yourself more overloaded with phazon power than ever and have 8 minutes to win the fight and escape the doomed dimension of the planet. You win, return the energy and have ended a 50 year war and achieved the salvation of the Luminoth. Satisfying shit right there. I also like its remix of the classic escape tune. I like that tune.

Metroid 2 is the only Metroid game without an escape sequence. I would hardly count Prime Hunters' escape sequences as valid since nothing fucking happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Metroid's escape sequence is my favorite for reasons listed in earlier posts

But I also really liked Metroid Fusion's escape sequence because it was something different. It starts off as another Metroid escape sequence, you're running through the station to where your ship is speed boosting through the hallways. You make it to the room and get ready to head off in your-

Wait where's my ship? How come I can't go back? What's these egg-like things?

The outta nowhere a motherfucking boss. You're all like "Shit, lemme kill this thing quick!" You take a few shots at it, before it swipes you with it's claw, totally destroying your Health bar and leaving you on the brink of death....till the SA-X comes to save the day. And then you fuse with it, yadda yadda yadda, blast the monster's ass to hell, and then escape the space station all of this under a time limit too.

Surprised the hell out of me the first time I played it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think my favorite escape sequence was Metroid Fusion because of that pants shitting moment when you discover your ship is gone.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

You know, since this topic is back up, I want to talk about something.

I've heard people criticize Samus's title as a bounty hunter because she gets all her work from the Galactic Federation.

My question: What the hell do you think a bounty hunter does? They aren't mercenaries.

Also, I tried out the Metroid 2 Remake demo, but I can't set the dpad controls. I can assign everything else to the joypad but the movement.

A bounty hunter is somebody that goes after a criminal for the sake of getting a reward. Samus doesn't work for the GF but they only call her up for when a high profile danger is present such as space pirates (and investigating a missing crew). I'd say she is since all her work is for heavy duty missions with space pirates and metroids and probably pay her royally. Only time she wasn't contacted by the GF was for Metroid Prime since she only intercepted a distress signal then followed Ridley to the planet and Super Metroid where she did the same sort of except she had a baby to save now. Other M was... Being Other M. I'd count her as a BH.

• 2 months later...

Seemingly everybody was going on about Metroid game ideas in tonight's statuses, so I thought one up that seemed cool to me. I posted it in a status, but I reckon I should post it here to, for posterity (cause it's cool):

Samus is busily being chased by Federation warships when a big ol' asteroid (or unknown alien ship) out of nowhere smashes them to bits and impacts the Federation metropolis world below. There's some element in there that warps spacetime up all bad, so Samus lands on top of a big ass skyscraper under the cloud banks after the shockwave has passed by (it's pretty much like Star Wars' Coruscant) and dust clouds are blocking out the sky (cue camera moving further behind her, silhouetting her against a dramatic fiery/black sky background, and then cue title), watching the disaster unfold, powerless to help. As she progresses nearer the crater, time might change speeds, maybe she gets to manipulate it a bit, the environs start looking decades and centuries older; buildings decaying, nature reasserting itself, skies clearing etc. Like bubble within bubble of fucked up spacetime. Maybe she needs a suit upgrade just to pass from one bubble layer to the next, else she'll turn to dust.

The game starts out very dim; blackened skies, fires in the distance, molten rock raining down and setting fire to things, lightning in the blackening clouds etc (a bit Killzone 2ish). As you get nearer the crater and pass into new bubble layers, you find years of change occurring in short amounts of time. Fresh devastation with panicking civvies and lots of fed military types, turns to recent abandonment with some decay and a few armed civilian/military encampments in the ruins struggling to cling on. That turns to a much more distant abandonment with maybe a unique retrogressive Human society at war with tribes of similarly retrogressive Space Pirates (I guess they're here too!). Eventually, around the impact site itself, the land nearby looks almost pristine with bits of ancient Human ruins poking out of the brush/grasslands here and there. Maybe the timefuck bubble expands as the story progresses, making upgrades near the 'start' that were impossible to get suddenly obtainable a bit later on, and making others you could get early on accessible by alternate means, alongside opening up new avenues exploration around the periphery of the initial game world.

Concerning Samus' title as a "bounty hunter", apparently it might not have been the best translation or choice of words for what Samus is, if the development of Metroid Prime 3 is of any indication. As mentioned on the trope page for The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything, "Retro Studios planned on having Samus fulfill more of a bounty-hunting role in Prime 3, namely, by having the player pick out actual bounties to go after. The higher-ups vetoed this, in part because of the Genre Shift it would entail and in part because Samus doesn't really fit the role of bounty hunter to a T. The guys at Retro jokingly referred to her as a "pro-bono hunter" instead. There's also a story about how when Retro Studios made the suggestion, Nintendo's Japan-based officials were horrified at the suggestion of Samus becoming a "murderer" and being paid to do this; apparently "bounty hunter" wasn't quite the most accurate translation of their intended title for Samus Aran."

"Retro Studios planned on having Samus fulfill more of a bounty-hunting role in Prime 3, namely, by having the player pick out actual bounties to go after.

Holy shit, that actually sounds really fucking coo-

here's also a story about how when Retro Studios made the suggestion, Nintendo's Japan-based officials were horrified at the suggestion of Samus becoming a "murderer" and being paid to do this; apparently "bounty hunter" wasn't quite the most accurate translation of their intended title for Samus Aran."

... -sigh and facepalm-

• Thumbs Up 2

Bounty Hunting doesn't have to equate to murdering people. Methinks Nintendo Japan's officials don't know what the job even entails; tracking wanted people down, devising a plan by which to take them alive (death is usually a highly undesirable last resort), securing the bounty, then hauling him/her/it to a pre-arranged hand-off location and hoping they don't make a break for it or have their buddies come after them en route. Deaths do occur on occasion, yes, and bounties can be 'dead or alive' or just for the person's dead body, but usually the hunter has a choice and it would be nice to see a more open, less linear Metroid game based in large part around hunting bounties across several populated (and some isolated) worlds, perhaps that being the base game beneath the obligatory overarching galaxy-spanning plot. I reckon that such a game could be quite Mass Effect-like. It could be pretty kickass.

Nintendo's Japanese officials need to understand that, if the idea of killing people in games is an irksome one, they'd be better off getting out of the business altogether and letting someone with more guts take charge.

• Thumbs Up 2