Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

To maybe put it a little more simply, that probably ought to have occurred to them before they gave the character a gun for a hand. Y'know... if anything, there's technically a lot less murdering in Prime 3 than in any other game in the series, since half the enemies are robots or Phazon monstrosities.

Still, now I've got the hilarious (but still kind of awesome) mental image of Samus hogtying space bastards with the Grapple Beam and tossing them in a pile in the trunk of her gunship, ready to cash in whenever she gets sick of looking for missile expansions.

• Thumbs Up 3

Samus blows up planets, and blasts through space pirate bases yet Nintendo was afraid of her being a "murderer".....yea ok.

That selecting a bounty idea looked pretty righteous tho. I do wish they played up that aspect a bit more as it can make an excellent gameplay mechanic.

With Prey 2 rumored to have been handed to Dishonored devs Arkane, and with the possibility that that Boba Fett game may be resurrected soon, we'll probably be hunting gaming bounties before we know it. It's just a shame that Samus won't be leading the pack. That said, having MP3 have bounty hunting when its two predecessors lacked it would've made it a very different game, possibly not even a Prime game as we know them. It'd be great if Nintendo Japan's execs could be brought around to the idea, or even if Retro decided to develop its own bounty hunting sci-fi IP that would allow Samus to remain "untainted."

As long as the missions aren't as tedious as AC: Silent Line, and it stays true to the Metroid formula, I'd be cool with that.

I love that Japan has problems with Samus actually doing her fucking job, but not with acting completely out of character as Japanese fap material and all-around crybaby. >:U

I would personally love a game where Samus gets to take on actual bounties alongside the main story; it'd keep things interesting and it'd allow for more variety in the "finding all the upgrades" department.  It's not like she'd just be straight up fucking murdering people; they'd deserve it.  Even if they didn't want her killing them, she could capture them in one way or another, stow them in her ship, and take them to jail or wherever the fuck.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't go quite that far. They just seem to have thought that "bounty hunter" meant "space superhero" (don't they call Captain Falcon a bounty hunter too?), and Samus wasn't much good at that in Other M either. I'd rather write off that one game than all of Nintendo. Or all of Japan, jeez.

I wouldn't mind bounty-hunting side missions in a standard Metroid game, but I think I might rather get a whole game devoted to the concept. Maybe go crazy and make a few of the bounty hunters from Hunters and Prime 3 playable?

Or all of Japan, jeez..

Nope, it's too late.

I've already decided I hate an entire nation based on a decision made by probably three or four people. C:

• Thumbs Up 1

I love that Japan has problems with Samus actually doing her fucking job, but not with acting completely out of character as Japanese fap material and all-around crybaby. >:U

Japan is as Japan does.

The bounty hunting thing doesn't really sound all that great. Maybe something like hunting down certain monsters to get power-ups would be OK, but nothing more.

I'm guessing Nintendo didn't want Samus hunting people down like an assassin or something. As in someone pays her to hunt down a person they have a grudge against. Whether she kills them or brings them to the person who wants to kill them.

I'm guessing Nintendo didn't want Samus hunting people down like an assassin or something. As in someone pays her to hunt down a person they have a grudge against. Whether she kills them or brings them to the person who wants to kill them.

(The real) Samus takes any chance she can get to wreck Ridley's shit, more than likely out of pure hatred for his purple ass.  I imagine she relishes every Super Missile she can force down the same gullet he ate her parents with.  Revenge and grudges are nothing new to the series.

If they made the bounties genuinely bad people, this wouldn't be a problem; in fact, Samus might be able to sympathize with some of them and grow as a character in a way that isn't completely butt-fucking retarded.

Edited by Ridley

Ridley is a space dragon, though.

It could work of course. But, seeing as Nintendo was so shocked about it, they apparently did it in a way that didn't work. It's all in the execution.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing I'm really curious about is what the reward would be for collecting bounties in a game that wasn't all about collecting bounties. Would there be some kind of shop where you could spend credits for standard upgrades, or would it only be stuff like ship upgrades or bonus content like concept art or costumes?

...for that matter, are we likely to see another Metroid game where the gunship factors into gameplay at all? It could certainly be made more useful than it was in Prime 3 (and I prefer the classic design over Prime 3's, personally), but I really liked the idea of giving it some relevance outside of the opening cutscene. Multiple planets to visit, too; let's have more of that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love the idea of a Metroid game where you go planet to planet to explore, and maybe have some spaceship fights.

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 2

The ship and exploring different planets was one of my favourite things in Prime 3. It was initially more linear but I liked the freedom aspect where you're able to warp to different places and whatnot. I wouldn't want it in every game, especially in 2D where the interconnected mazes work effectively, but it'd still be cool again if they combined the two like Prime 3 did most of the time with a few linear exceptions.

Honestly though, I want some fucking new upgrades in the main series. Sure half the Prime 2 and 3 upgrades were inferior to the things they replaced, but the variety was nice at least. Other M just added a beam version of the Diffusion Missiles and called it a day.

Edited by Semi-colon e

490_198492210307978_1018242697_n.jpg

Not really that on topic or anything, but I found it amusing that this looks like the Omega Pirate. (both spoilered for MASSIVENESS)

Omega_Pirate_Black_Background.png

Speaking of which, a Pokemon evolution line based on the 3 Ridley stages in Other M would be pretty cool if not overly much of a shout out.

It'll also be enjoyable to see how they explain Ridley coming back if they ever make another Metroid game.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Ridley's chicken-Furby baby form was one of the few things from Other M that I really liked, at least conceptually. I kind of wish that the game had initially presented Little Birdie Ridley as a cute animal friend like the ones from Super Metroid, though, instead of trying to make him unsettling right off the bat. Like, how much creepier would it have been to learn what this thing actually was if the first half of the game (or even the marketing) had presented him as a legit adorable mascot critter, snuggling up to Samus and occasionally needing protection from enemies?  Then, after the reveal, Samus (and the player?) might feel guilty for basically playing bodyguard to the main villain while it gathered power and probably ate a bunch of people while she wasn't looking, which would at least be something more substantive than SURPRISE RIDLEY!!!

Instead, it only pokes its head out once or twice, it's obviously suspicious from the get-go, and Samus just kind of acknowledges that it exists and moves on.

Also: if Samus wasn't supposed to recognize Ridley in his intermediate form, it probably shouldn't have looked exactly like his adult form but with a mullet and no wings. I'm pretty sure I actually laughed out loud when she kept referring to him as "that creature" or whatever in the scene after he got right up in her grill.

• Thumbs Up 1

after he got right up in her grill.

...and humped her while you awkwardly shoot missiles at his tail.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been thinking, the next Metroid needs to be big.  Like, HUGE.  It needs to bring the universe together.  Samus needs to walk through massive space colonies with tons of different aliens, from the Luminoth to those weird red things that Trace was.  There needs to be tons of side missions and bonus bounties to take.  The story needs to be just as huge, too.

Okay, so, Samus is leaving the exploding BSL after Fusion; she's plotting a course to Aether to ask the Luminoth for some sort of advice/help (because they're the closest thing to the Chozo left).  On the way, her ship either gets damaged or runs low on fuel or whatever, and she's forced to stop at this seedy, black market-esque space station, where he scum of the galaxy hang out.  Once inside, you can earn credits by undertaking different bounties and completing various tasks for the inhabitants of the colony.

There would be a nearby planet, too, that Samus would fly to and from; it would be hostile and barren, a stark contrast to the lively and erratic colony above.  Here is where the classic Metroid vibe kicks in.  You journey across and into the planet, searching for various things when you suddenly find some Chozo lore.

But this is recent.  VERY recent.

I dunno where it could go from there, it was just an idea I had earlier.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also feels that the Metroid universe seems vague. If you haven't read the manga, which probably goes a long way to fleshing the whole thing out, then it feels like a world only partially constructed. I'm probably going to get some flack for this, but I believe what is needed is a game with extensive lore archives on virtually every subject in the game's universe (both related to the story and general trivia), a game which takes us to several extensive, living worlds and space stations, both inhabited and uninhabited; luscious and isolated in equal measure. If it's too much for one disc, make it multi-disc. We need a Metroidian Mass Effect.

It'd be nice if Space Pirate facilities could be designed differently as well, as the aesthetic of their 'homeworld' in Prime 3 was horrible.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, what we really need is a brand new Super Metroid review from Nintendo Life

Honestly can't say I'm surprised. Nintendo has been getting lazier with each Metroid release.
  • Thumbs Up 1

...and humped her while you awkwardly shoot missiles at his tail.

...until the only likeable character in the entire game saved her life by using a slow-charging one-shot version of the weapon Samus wasn't allowed to use.

Meanwhile I love the expansive Metroid universe idea.

Honestly I don't think there's a need to "fill in" the Metroid universe. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I'd imagine it's a lot of work for some questionable benefits.