Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

There's a certain charm to the ambiguity of the Metroid universe, yeah. I wouldn't mind a little more detail than what we usually get, but it's kind of nice that the series can pull crazy new species and locations outta nowhere whenever it needs to without having to weasel around or outright retcon established details.

Prime 3 struck a good balance in that respect, I think. We got to see what Federation and Space Pirate planets are like and the Aurora Units were a cute tie-in to the classic games, but it also threw in a good amount of unexplained new stuff like the other bounty hunters.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

It's really nice to hear that Nintendo sees Retro as a good team to trust Metroid with. I'd like to see them try their hand at a 2D one as well, at some point.

It would be great to have two Metroid games coming out at the same time like in Prime and Fusion's case. Simultaneously offering a first-person adventure and a traditional 2D game would please just about everyone.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm tired of 3D Metroid honestly.

Prime was good for "Ooh wow Metroid in 3D" for a while, but Metroid really works best in 2D. I want to shoulder tackle bitches with a shinespark. I want to break the game with timed wall jumps. I want the Space Jump to be... well, the Space Jump.

I just want a game that is different from Prime.  Those games were fantastic, but I think first-person Metroid has had its time to shine, and now they should try something else, whether it be 2D, third-person 3D, or whatever.

Whichever they choose, I just want Samus to feel a bit more agile as she did in Super Metroid and the other 2D titles.  As great as the Prime games were, the one thing they were missing was the feeling of agility.  The movement was very tank-like, and it worked well, but I find it more fun to be Super Metroid-style, where Samus can run ridiculously fast and jump ridiculously high.

I actually think the very basic gameplay of Other M is a good basis for how to bring Samus into third-person 3D.  Her handling in that game felt decent, at least.  Just refine the crap out of it and put it in a game by Retro and we're good.

Yeah, one of the most frustrating things about Other M is the stuff it got right. A third-person game with colourful classic-style enemies and an actually fast Samus was exactly what I wanted out of the series post-Prime. It's just a pity about, y'know, almost everything else.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, one of the most frustrating things about Other M is the stuff it got right. A third-person game with colourful classic-style enemies and an actually fast Samus was exactly what I wanted out of the series post-Prime. It's just a pity about, y'know, almost everything else.

Pretty much this, I can agree with pretty much anything else anyone says about the game but the gameplay itself I could see being used for an amazing metroid game.

Although the biggest thing I would change is auto-aim.  I'd rather use the Nunchuk to move and the Wii Remote to aim and shoot.  As much as the Wii U Gamepad could add to the series, I think Wiimote and Nunchuk would be the best choice for a 3D Metroid.

I'll never understand why they didn't go with a Wii Remote + Nunchuk control scheme. Auto-aim wouldn't have been necessary, and first-person could've been accessed with a button instead of having to juggle the controller. It's such a simple fix.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, plus moving samus with the control pad hurts my fingers more than using a handheld control pad does.

After the DKCR games, I do see Retro Studios doing a 2D Metroid. Using a modified engine perhaps. But either way I'm glad to hear that a Retro Studios Metroid is coming along someday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather Retro do another first person Metroid. I think that is what works best for Metroid in 3D.

SPD1 should make a 2D Metroid for the 3DS, though. And honestly, I'd be more excited for that, but I'd still want both.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want more Metroid, both 2D and 3D in the style of Other M only significantly better, but the fact they're even still thinking about making Metroid games is hopeful in the least.

It's not the company's biggest money maker, or even in the top three, which means it doesn't have first dibs on new sequels, but I'd be surprised if we didn't see one on the Wii U or its successor.

Well I guess this debunks the whole METROIDISDED5EVR rumors. My honest guess is that it will still be quite a while before anything though, since it seems Retro had a great time with reviving the DK series and the sad fact that DKCR  barely outsold the entire Metroid Prime series... My guess is that like with Prime, they will make a third DKC game *coughitllhavekiddykongcough* to be released in 2016 to follow their usual 3 year periods between games. So assuming Nintendo themselves don't work on a Metroid game before them and leave it all to Retro, it's possible that we may not get another Metroid until possibly 2019 which would be an even longer wait period than between Super Metroid and Prime.

I personally would take anything, I would preferably want a continuation past Fusion but back into the Super Metroid setup. I mean I enjoyed Fusion's story and heart pounding moments, but it was just not as enjoyable to me as Super's FIY progression. Prime 4? Even that would satisfy me at this point.

A new Metroid game is bound to happen, but its not happening now for two very big reasons; Other M's critical failure and Retro not interested in developing another Metroid.

Other M, even if it had some good gameplay mechanics with it fusing perspectives well and all that's need to make that gameplay great in a hypothetical sequel is to have movement to the analog stick, have much stronger level design, spice up the visuals, and have tons of new power-ups/suits to collect, but the main issue there is that, the game ruined Samus as a character.

Before that game she was a grand example of what female characters in gaming should be; strong and powerful, with just as much dignity and respect male characters get in gaming, making her one of the very few examples along with BGE's Jade and HL2's Alex of strong female characters in games without overly sexualizing them. Other M ruined that by giving her the image of not a Dead or Alive  or Ninja Gaden female (thank god Team Ninja held back there...) but making her look weak; her being subservient to Adam, not being independent like she was in past games, and having a mental brake down when fighting a monster she's killed MANY times already.

That image really hurt the Metroid series to many, and even if the next game is amazing, Nintendo has to prove that they do respect Samus and recover the Metroid series ala Sonic's recovery from Sonic 06. Another thing is that Retro is done with Metroid. I'm sure they wouldn't mind making another one, but after 3 Prime games and the head guy's behind them leaving (forming Armature, who's worked on the cancelled Megaman X FPS, the Vita version of MGS HD Collection, and the upcoming handheld Batman Arkam Blackgate), leaving Retro not only no desire to make another Metroid like Prime due to loss of the people behind them. They proved themselves to Nintendo with the DKC Returns and TF that even with a talent exodus ala Rare they can still make amazing games, but with them feeling very conferrable with the DK series (there still is a lot they could do with the Country games), and with another one most likely coming after TF, they are going to not work on Metroid for quite a while.

Besides, many of us here would love to see them get there hands on other (mostly) dead Nintendo IP's like F-Zero, EarthBound, Star Fox, or Star Tropics and bring those back like how they did Prime :)

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

So for people who haven't played the Prime game due to rarity such as myself...

well here's your chance to finally get it

http://n4g.com/news/1376214/gamestop-discounting-xenoblade-chronicles-metroid-prime-trilogy-for-black-friday

Along with Xenoblade Chronicles, Metroid Prime Trilogy will be available at Gamestop for 40 bucks on Black Friday, so if I were you id take this chance because I doubt a good deal like this will come again.

Edited by SoniManbeast
  • Thumbs Up 3

sadly, I dont have a wii-mote or nunchuck, or else it would be very tempting... still kinda is

I'm just going to pop in to say that if anyone is on the fence about this, absolutely go for it! $40 is more than worth it for one of the very best games of the last decade and two top notch sequels. Even if you don't have a console to play it on yet or controllers, just go for it, let it sit on a shelf for as long as it takes but it's totally not a chance to miss.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm just going to pop in to say that if anyone is on the fence about this, absolutely go for it! $40 is more than worth it for one of the very best games of the last decade and two top notch sequels. Even if you don't have a console to play it on yet or controllers, just go for it, let it sit on a shelf for as long as it takes but it's totally not a chance to miss.

I am about ready to go for it, only question is wheter or not my local place will have it, and if I will be able to make it

I wonder if this will effect the prices on Ebay. If not then it'd be pretty wise to go get it for such a price and then sell it $100's on Ebay since I already have a copy. 

Of course, that is assuming that it's the steel case edition, which I don't feel like parting with...

Edited by Scootaloo

I wonder if this will effect the prices on Ebay. If not then it'd be pretty wise to go get it for such a price and then sell it $100's on Ebay since I already have a copy. 

Of course, that is assuming that it's the steel case edition, which I don't feel like parting with...

You are quite evil and devious 

• Thumbs Up 1