Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

@Super Soniko

Edit: This is meant at your previous post, not the one above me

Then why didn't she have a panic attack in Metroid/Zero Mission, or Super Metroid, or any of the Prime Games? After fighting him 6 times, she NOW decides to have a panic attack? Even in the manga (which is official), when Samus sees Ridley for the first time since he killed her parents, she doesn't become afraid, she gets mad and fights him.

She thought he was dead but nope, came back in Super Metroid. And again she thought he was truly dead after that but nope, Prime. And again, and again. Even in Brawl (yeah I know, not the same universe) she doesn't get scared of him, maybe shocked at how he comes out of nowhere, but she regains composition and proceeds to kick his ass.

By this time she should know that the space pirates clone him, so she should be ready to face him again in case he does come back, which he has! Letting her guard down in Other M because she assumed "Oh I'm sure they won't clone him again, right?"

It's not PTSD, or anything like that, it's just bad writing on Sakamoto's part, and a slap in the face to her character.

P.S. I still find it hilarious and insulting at the same time that this Furby becomes Ridley.

ULF_55.png

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's not forget that the Ridley scene was really poor and unsatisfying in the narrative as a whole, and not just as an OOC moment for Samus; not only was her emotional trauma unprecedented and her sniveling outburst causes Anthony's apparent death (Samus our hero ladies and gentlemen), but she fails to kill Ridley after the fight, and you never get a rematch with him. He's killed off-screen, and Samus never conquers her "fear." Satisfying.

And why the fuck does everyone like Anthony, anyway?

• Thumbs Up 2

i wouldn't say she was scared, more in disbelief of him returning from a little fluff ball, it's no lie Samus is OOC in Other M to a grand scale, she always seemed to have her mind elsewhere in Other M to begin with, probably couldn't take her mind off the Hatch ling and the shock of serving under the federation was incredibly alien to her all over after pretty much being outcast and becoming a bounty hunter under her own steam.

The games are all fucking awesome except Other M which killed my unborn child and pissed in my slippers that I don't have.

That aside, I'd like to talk about the Manga.

It's... odd. A majority of the games, Samus does not talk at all. In fusion, most of it is emotionless monologuing , and in Other M it's... yeah.

With that in mind, going into a manga, you aren't really used to anything other then a badass who blows up every planet she's on. The manga ventures into her characteristics, and it feels really unnatural.

EDIT: as for the PSTD bullshit that they fucking tried to pull in Other M, it's just that: Bullshit.

The order goes like this:

Metroid

Metroid Prime 1-3

Metroid 2

Super Metroid

Other M

MEtroid ridley fights: 1

MEtroid Prime 1-3 Ridley fights: I believe there's 3 or 4? I don't remember.

Super MEtroid Ridley fights: 1

that's 5-6 times. IT took the 7th time to make her flip her shit? And the thing that snapped her out of it was the death of generic disposable black guy #45632654?

I'm sorry Soniko, there's no excuse.

Edited by Solkia-kun

And why the fuck does everyone like Anthony, anyway?

Edited by Nintendoga

Anthony was the only fucking character in that entire mess of a story that I could see myself vaguely liking somewhat.

Like...he doesn't do anything incredibly stupid or dumb, he just does his job, tease Samus a bit, and take Ridley head on to save Samus. Can't really find a good reason to hate the guy.

Edit: Oh, but apparently no one liked Anthony, nevermind then.

Edited by Soniman

I truly don't get the love for Anthony as well. To me he is just a dime-a-dozen generic "cool black guy" that spouts cheesy one-liners and nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Super Soniko

Edit: This is meant at your previous post, not the one above me

Then why didn't she have a panic attack in Metroid/Zero Mission, or Super Metroid, or any of the Prime Games? After fighting him 6 times, she NOW decides to have a panic attack? Even in the manga (which is official), when Samus sees Ridley for the first time since he killed her parents, she doesn't become afraid, she gets mad and fights him.

She thought he was dead but nope, came back in Super Metroid. And again she thought he was truly dead after that but nope, Prime. And again, and again. Even in Brawl (yeah I know, not the same universe) she doesn't get scared of him, maybe shocked at how he comes out of nowhere, but she regains composition and proceeds to kick his ass.

By this time she should know that the space pirates clone him, so she should be ready to face him again in case he does come back, which he has! Letting her guard down in Other M because she assumed "Oh I'm sure they won't clone him again, right?"

It's not PTSD, or anything like that, it's just bad writing on Sakamoto's part, and a slap in the face to her character.

P.S. I still find it hilarious and insulting at the same time that this Furby becomes Ridley.

ULF_55.png

this is also my argument why Zelda should never go for Voice Acting in their games, because it'll end with the same problem.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love the idea of giving Samus more emotion and inner conflict. Being scared of Ridley could prove to be a very interesting character trait. Other M just went way overboard with their interpretation of that fear.

But Other M didn't fail because it made Samus a more defined character. It failed because it did a terrible job. I'm all for giving Samus some more concrete character traits, just, y'know, as long as she's interesting. You can have the most cold, stoic character imaginable, and make that character interesting if the writers are skilled enough. In the right hands, I'm sure Samus could regain her past glory.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or they could do it well like any other fucking game.

This is my problem with the Nintendo fanbase; if one thing goes wrong in any game ever, it's a reason for Nintendo to not even attempt it. It's like saying Sonic should never have a story because Sonic 06.

Voice acting in a Zelda game? well excuuuuuuuse me Dissident

i don't agree, too used to reading masses of text boxes and characters grunting and laughing.

That furby pic stares right into your soul. Menacingly. I could understand fear for Ridley's return after being blown apart several times and having him caught in a planet's explosion, that's like seeing a killer like Michael Myers coming back after being stabbed, dropped from a building, electrocuted, drowned, burned, and decapitated. It's scary shit and I'd be scared shitless if he appeared before me completely healed after all that. Except, I'm not a cold bounty hunter like Samus whoshould have learned to control fear and trauma by now. Again, I don't blame her for being scared, but I figure if she's beaten him 5 times before, two of those times he was mechanized and another time he was overpowered with Phazon, then I figure she could beat him again in his normal form without having become crippled with fear and snapped out of it by the loss of a friend of hers.

Aside from being the cool black guy, Anthony is liked because he is the only character that actually shows that he cares about Samus from his joking nickname he gives her to engaging Ridley at the (nearly) cost of his life. In fact, he shows it more than Adam does and he's the supposed father figure here. He's also the black guy that survives for once.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh yeah:

/Metroidfanbase

Nah, this is what you're looking for:

But I liked Metroid as a series(despite playing only Super, Zero Mission, and Corruption), and I just wonder, if Sakamoto really did make the 2D titles like Super, how could Other M have portray Samus so differently than what we expected? Something must have happened.

Edited by FourCartridge
  • Thumbs Up 5

I genuinely liked Anthony as a character, but I do have to admit that it's possibly because every other character was either so bland I forgot their name immediatelly after it was mentioned, or someone I outright despise.

As for the Ridley scene, I feel the need to point out that the events of Other M make the Japanese prequel comic non-canon. Adam dies in that comic, remember? So using the comic to justify Ridley's effect on Samus doesn't work. In-game story, we don't even know that Ridley killed Samus's parents. Heck, it may not even be part of the game canon. From the game all we know is that Samus is terrified by Ridley, feels like a child (because they goddamn SHOW you her as a child onscreen - the ONE time they listen to Show, Don't Tell, and they use it in the worst context possible), and freezes up. We don't know why. We're never told why. We're just shown a reaction to an event that has already happened numerous times in the saga yet never caused this kind of reaction.

It's just really fucking awful storytelling, is what I'm getting at. Trying to justify it is futile.

• Thumbs Up 3

But that the essence of the game. Like Mario platformers and 3D games have Bowser kidnap Peach, DK looks for his bananas in his games, and Link save Zelda and the Triforce in his.

Link%27s_Awakening_US_boxart.jpg

800px-Majora_box.jpg
Edited by MarcelloF

Oh look, the thread turned into an Other M thread tongue.png

I don't hate Other M, it's just so stupid in so many ways. It could have been awesome having a 3D Metroid that plays like the old games with exploration and classic Space Jump/Screw Attack and the Speed Booster, all while developing Samus and Adam and other characters and tying in Super to Fusion nicely.

They just completely fucked it up. And that's what's sad, so many times I was like "okay I see what you're going for here", but it's just so mediocre overall it's not used well. Imagine how good Adam's farewell would have been if the story was good and Adam didn't seem like a complete dickhead at every turn? Imagine not being super restricted and moving with a d-pad. At least it's technically competent unlike Sonic 06, the Sonic 06 of Metroid is a decent metaphor but it doesn't bear close examination because Other M is nowhere near as terrible as Sonic 06, and Sonic has a fair few bad games while Other M is the only game that isn't fantastic aside from shit like Metroid 2 which has just aged badly and Hunters which nobody gives a shit about. 06 is more the straw that broke the camel's back after a gradual decline while Other M is a sudden, sharp drop into mediocrity.

I think Anthony is pretty cool though actually, the one character that is half-decent. You fools have just got no style tongue.png

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

One thing I want to know is why most people consider Prime 2 the weakest in the trilogy or often just downright bad. I loved the atmosphere and sense of desire to save the near extinct Luminoth. I also found its world the easiest to navigate.

One thing I want to know is why most people consider Prime 2 the weakest in the trilogy or often just downright bad. I loved the atmosphere and sense of desire to save the near extinct Luminoth. I also found its world the easiest to navigate.

i think it's more of them complaining of its difficulty step up from Prime because it was rather larger, darker and more complex with the amount of backtracking between worlds.

I actually really enjoyed Prime 2 for giving us a brand new world that isn't an old Chozo colony. Beautiful scenery, tight difficulty, eerie atmospheric music, and a tremendous feeling of progress as you gradually bring Light Aether from the brink of annihilation to complete restoration. I can understand why a lot of people found backtracking through two seperate world maps tedious, and I'll freely admit that finding the Sky Temple Keys was a pain in the ass, but that's not enough to bring the game down.

Personally I find Metroid Prime 3 to be the weakest entry in the trilogy, while still an exceptional top-tier game.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

Metroid Prime 2, being my first real Metroid game, it's........tedious, I'm not gonna lie, but it's the good type of tedious and it does capture that Metroid atmosphere of being alone. I do admit, the Dark world is kind of bland considering all the environments just kind of blend together, the only part that looks really different is the Ing Hive. Plus the new Beam ammo system is just stupid, why do we need ammo for these weapons, it makes no sense and makes fighting stronger enemies a pain in the ass when you run out.

I haven't finished Prime 3, but Hyper Mode kind of makes the game too easy.

1. It's ugly. I mean, on a technical level it's no worse than Prime 1 as far as I can see, and sure, light world Sanctuary Fortress is one of the best locations in the trilogy, but what about the rest of the game? The overworld is fairly bland, Agon is, literally, a wasteland, and Torvus is a swamp (which wouldn't be too bad on its own, but the game really could have used something more upbeat at that point. Plus it's basically part sewer level). And half the game takes place in purple smog world, which basically erases any positive qualities the areas have. Yeah, it makes sense given that it's a dying world, but it's still ugly.

2. The dark world in general. It's hard to see and it hurts you just to be in it. It's less oppressive and more annoying, forcing you to dash from safe zone to safe zone, then wait while you heal up. It also tends to make asshole enemies even worse.

3. Beam ammo. Ammo is not typically much of a concern in Metroid games; there's missiles and power bombs, but the former are very common and the latter are usually more a puzzle tool than a weapon, and aside from that you've got your constantly-improving beam to rely on. And while beam ammo isn't terribly scarce if you know how it works, it triggers hoarding instincts, making you want to conserve it and rely on the power beam, which is really not strong enough to handle things well.

4. Keys. Everything you do is in pursuit of more keys. Not even with a token attempt to justify them or cover up that they're keys, just a bunch of keys, over and over again. The artifact collection was basically the worst part of Prime 1 and they made an entire game about it. Rather than attempting a natural progression through the world, you're doing explicit manmade (luminoth-made?) key hunts. And if you weren't sick of keys from throughout the game, once again the game ends with a big key hunt. Fuck keys.

I started playing Metroid about... a year, year and a half ago. I got interested by Somecallmejohnny's reviews over on Youtube. I've gotta say... this series is fucking sweet. Honestly, in my top 3 favorite video game franchises.

Now, the first Metroid game I played was Fusion, due to the fact it was linear (I didn't want to get lost). Despite the brutal difficulty at times (one of the SAX sequences still gives me a hard time), it's a brilliant game. I didn't really focus too much on the story, and I still don't, but the story of this was pretty good. Probably my second favorite Metroid game. BTW, I love how the beam looks once you get all its upgrades.

The second Metroid game I played was Zero Mission. It took Fusion's gameplay and made it more open-ended. I think the difficulty is more fair, though it's slightly too easy. My favorite thing about this game is that I can sequence break and get the Screw Attack much, much earlier then you're supposed to. Doing that gives me so much satisfaction. This slightly loses to Fusion for my second favorite spot because, well, I absolutely hate the Chizodia part. Still a damn fine game.

Super Metroid is the third Metroid game I played and my favorite by far. The atmosphere is top notch and the graphics are great. I love the open world feel of it. As I've said before, I can't really explain myself too well when it comes to stuff I really love. I guess I just have more fun with this than I do the others. Whenever I play it, I get this feeling that I'm doing something... awesome? I don't know, I just get a really awesome feeling. I can't find too much flaws with this game; it's so good. One of my favorite games of all time.

The only other Metroid game I've played is the original. I've only got one thing to say about that game: it sucks. REALLY sucks. Way too hard and I have absolutely no idea where to go.

So, yeah... Metroid is awesome. Haven't played the Prime games (though I really want to, especially the first one) or Other M. The gameplay of the 2D Metroids is great; it has the perfect blend of action and exploration. Every time I find a new power up, I get all excited. However, I have something to admit. When I played Fusion, Zero Mission, and Super Metroid for the first time, I used a guide. The only reason I used the guides was so that once I beat them the first times, I would know where to go whenever I played them again. And it worked! Well, at least for Fusion and Zero Mission (both of which I own now). Super Metroid I still use guides when I play but that doesn't detract from how awesome it feels to navigate through such a huge, open world. I've only beaten it once without a guide, but doing that was one the proudest moments of my teenage life. Seriously.

I get it now. Looking back to the first time, the dark world was a pain in the ass, and actually the portal placements can be just plain annoying and tedious sometimes. Maybe it would have been a better choice to do it more like in A Link to the Past where you have to search for a way into the dark world but then you have an item that lets you leave it at will. Although honestly I found the backtracking in the first Prime to be much more annoying because the world in Prime 2 just felt easier to navigate because it all seems to connect so well and much better than in Prime where it feels like you have to traverse through Magmoor Caverns all the time to get anywhere in the latter half of the game. Also, fuck the Boost Guardian. One thing I'm glad they did away with in Prime 3 is the artifact/key hunts.

I haven't finished Prime 3, but Hyper Mode kind of makes the game too easy.

Try using hypermode as little as possible. The game is actually pretty fucking hard that way.