Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

inb4 they had these copies this whole time since production and opened the boxes and pulled this shit to look like the good guy.

eh, I'll pass since I prefer playing Wii games on Dolphin, and Trilogy emulates like shit. But I'd take this chance now if you've wanted to try it out.

You are quite evil and devious 

Hey, I've been recently severely cut back in pay due to lack of work at my workplace. Gotta pay my bills somehow.

eh, understandable, honestly I own the first 2 games, and would love to have a copy of the entire trilogy, especialy since my Wii-u will be traveling with me more than my gamecube

Wasn't the trilogy originally at 40 dollars to begin with?

I bought it for fifty on release. My last purchase from poor Game Crazy. :c

Ah, I thought since most wii games at that time were only 40, I thought this game was the same, guess not. Also, yeah I miss game crazy too :(

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Other M, and I've forgotten how cheap the game can be.

While playing through the lower level of sector 1, the 'scrap block' area, I was going through that long tunnel filled with those piranha plants. I put the wiimote down for just a moment, so I could turn up the music on the tv remote. I love the music in this section; it's remarkably foreboding.  

But before I know it, a plant comes up right beside me. I pick up the wiimote in time to do a sensemove, but right after I do the sensemove, the darn plant starts gobbling me up anyway.

The plant has a good snack, and then spits me out....right to another plant. I try to sensemove, but to no avail; I get gobbled up again. When the second plant is finished, it spits me out...right to the first one, which eats me again.

This cycle kept continuing until I was looking at a game over screen. At this point, I threw down my controller in disgust and wondered if I should abandon the play through and go back to playing Sonic colors. ( I don't have Lost World yet, cause I don't have a 3ds or Wii-u yet). :/

• 5 months later...

So...i've been looking at all the posts about ZSS on the Smash Bros 4 topic and I started researching on Metroid. Now I am ashamed to say i havent really played any metroid. Ive played a bit of Prime 1 and 3 but it was a borrow for a few days from a friend and I had to give it back. I also briefly tried Super Metroid once, can't remember how that went in all honesty.

What would you guys say is a good game to start playing? I don't really care about chronology yet im just interested in sinking my teeth into another game series that I havent really touched but does look really cool.

So...i've been looking at all the posts about ZSS on the Smash Bros 4 topic and I started researching on Metroid. Now I am ashamed to say i havent really played any metroid. Ive played a bit of Prime 1 and 3 but it was a borrow for a few days from a friend and I had to give it back. I also briefly tried Super Metroid once, can't remember how that went in all honesty.

What would you guys say is a good game to start playing? I don't really care about chronology yet im just interested in sinking my teeth into another game series that I havent really touched but does look really cool.

A simple and easy game would be Fusion. It doesn't ask much of you because of the linearity, but it's a good beginning point.

Honestly, I think Zero Mission is the perfect starting point for beginners, AND it's chronologically the first in the series and a remake of the original. Prime 1 is also good, and so is Fusion, although that's last in the series. I'd hold off on others for now though coughandavoidothermcough

Also, what are people's thoughts on the outcry of Samus' SSB4 design being sexist? It just sounds ridiculous to me.

Yah, definitely recommend Fusion. I have played Super Metroid, but Fusion is the first and only Metroid game I have beaten. Not only is it easy to get into due to its linear gameplay but it also introduces you to the character of Samus and has some great boss battles and typical Metroidvania gameplay and level design. Not to mention the creepiest enemy in the series, the SA-X.

I still need to play the other Metroid games but I haven't had a chance. Think I should at least replay Super Metroid...

Prime 3 is probably the best one to start with overall. A relatively linear experience with an AI telling you where your next objective is from time to time, along with a power-up mode as a safety net, makes it welcoming for newcomers. Other M is even easier due to Concentration and Sensemove, but the controls can feel a bit stiff at times, and the 1st-person perspective to shoot Missiles breaks momentum.

For the 2D adventure games, Super Metroid is the one favored by mostly everyone - speedrunning and 100% completion for the veterans, and room for trial and error for the new players. Fusion would probably be next up - it's more linear than SM, but the enemies hit much harder, making for a tenser experience.

I've only ever played the first Prime and Fusion, but Fusion is definitely an easy recommendation for me. I didn't like the emphasis on backtracking in Prime, but Fusion was great fun from start to finish.

Also, what are people's thoughts on the outcry of Samus' SSB4 design being sexist? It just sounds ridiculous to me.

internally-screaming.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

The best regarded Metroid games are usually: Super, Fusion, Prime, and Zero Mission.

A good starting point would be Fusion. It holds the players hands a little and guides them through the game, unlike Super Metroid or Prime. Not that it makes it bad, as Fusion's my favorite one. Even though it's chronologically the last game in the series, you won't be lost or confused. The story's very simple to follow. After that just play whatever you want.

Except Other M or Metroid II. Those two are badddd.

I dunno, now that Samus is in HD people suddenly find her too sexy and something about high heels and rocket boots and crying babies or whatever.

Zero Mission was my first in the series and it was a pretty good introduction, though Fusion is probably more accessible (But ZM is a way better game).

As for the outcry, I think it's silly. Mainly with the heels. It'd be dumb if they were just an aesthetic change, but they aren't. They serve a purpose. They have ROCKETS in them. People seem to ignore the cool part.

Re: What Metroid to play first: For 2D, I'd say either Fusion or Zero Mission. Fusion's good for getting a taste of Metroid without worrying about getting too lost, since it's the most linear of the 2D games (though not so linear as to ruin the Metroid feel). Zero Mission is a better example of how expansive a Metroid game can be, plus it is the chronological start of the series anyway. And Super is still a really good game, definitely worth playing, though lacking some of the modern conveniences of the above two.

As far as 3D, just play the Primes straight through. Don't bother with Other M.

Re: Sexism: I think there's a legitimate point here. And the issue, at least in my eyes, isn't that Smash4's ZSS design is terribly sexist in itself, but because they keep stepping her in that direction a little bit at a time. Her design and proportions have gotten less "tough" and more "supermodel" in the post-Super era, Other M basically put her character through a shredder, and now Smash has got her in heels because...? Well I can't honestly think of any other reason aside from heels being sexy.

As for the outcry, I think it's silly. Mainly with the heels. It'd be dumb if they were just an aesthetic change, but they aren't. They serve a purpose. They have ROCKETS in them. People seem to ignore the cool part.

No one is ignoring that they're rocket heels. The problem is that they chose to give her rocket heels rather than rocket shoes or rocket boots or anything else that isn't so blatantly sexualized. There is a reason that they chose heels over anything else and I am pretty sure I can guess what it is, and I don't like it.
  • Thumbs Up 5

She didn't need the boots to be stronger really. Considering what she did in Zero Mission without her armor, the boots just seem like a bad excuse to justify this stupid design from Other M. (Really?)

sampleub.jpg

Why not just give her a buff reflecting more of her own abilities? You shouldn't have to justify the buff with tacky equipment unless it's terrible out of reach. And if that's too much, why not just make them normal looking shoes with the machinery? Why do they have to be the high heels?

I love how she went from being practically nude to having a full body stealth suit and people are still calling her design sexist because she's curvy.

All I'm hearing is "People are going to find her attractive and I don't like it"

As for the best game to start with, Zero Mission is the definite choice. It's designed as a Metroid game at its best with the non-linear design, but at the same time gives you hint statues that tell you where to go if you just want to get it over with. It's the best of both worlds.

• Thumbs Up 4

Guess people aren't willing to let Other M go :V

Anyway, I'd say start with either Fusion or Zero Mission; neither one of them are particularly hard and good entry points for the series.

I love how she went from being practically nude to having a full body stealth suit and people are still calling her design sexist because she's curvy.

All I'm hearing is "People are going to find her attractive and I don't like it"

As for the best game to start with, Zero Mission is the definite choice. It's designed as a Metroid game at its best with the non-linear design, but at the same time gives you hint statues that tell you where to go if you just want to get it over with. It's the best of both worlds.

It's not the full body suit that is the problem, it's how it's being used. 

No matter what you do with a female character in Samus' age range, aside from dressing her up in a turtleneck sweater all the time, some perv is gonna oogle over it. But her being attractive isn't the problem here. 

I don't like the heels in Other M because they're just there for no reason whatsoever. Well, other than to make Samus look HOT and feminine. At least in SSB4 the rocket/jet heels have a function of sorts, despite how ridiculous looking they may be.

Then what is th problem? Her promotional art facing forward in a lest suggestive pose than Brawl? How dare they!

And Fusion isn't a good game to start with. If you're new to MEtroid, that game will hand your own ass to you on a silver platter.

This outfit did a decent job of being efficent in what it needs to do, and its sleeveless and shoeless

http://i.imgur.com/KefnpWMl.jpg

KefnpWMl.jpg

Then again, who is dumb enough to argue with a 6'3" 200 Lb bounty hunter who could take you out faster than you could blink