Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

My only problem is the heels which are pointless when you consider Samus' natural abilities.

Other than that, to me, she doesn't look any different than she usually does outside of her suit. That being said, I think people are allowed to have a problem with the Zero Suit--most people arguing against it never liked it, so it's not like it's out of nowhere, really?

ever since the baww heels argument worldwide showed up thats kind of up to debate 

ehem

But...the people arguing against the heels are doing so because they like Samus.

It's like saying people don't like Spider-Man because they criticized One More Day.

My only problem is the heels which are pointless when you consider Samus' natural abilities.

Other than that, to me, she doesn't look any different than she usually does outside of her suit. That being said, I think people are allowed to have a problem with the Zero Suit--most people arguing against it never liked it, so it's not like it's out of nowhere, really?

That's where I draw the line, there is nothing sexist about a character being sexy. But using her gender as an excuse to give her an impractical shoe design when she's been pretty much sensible many other times when using her Zero Suit for combat. 

Even though the boots are pointless, why are they designed like heels, why not give her normal looking shoes that happen to be jet boots? Why must they be designed as impractical heels, because she is a woman? But she is a female character that has at least been portrayed as having a realistic mindset on how to approach a situation, such as not wearing heels to combat. If this was on a male character (even as jet boots) this would be ridiculous. But because Samus is a woman, this is acceptable. It doesn't matter if what we know of her character from every game (aside Other M) would tell us she wouldn't do this.

I think the big difference here is, while Samus has worn more revealing things in the past, fanservice hadn't overwhelmed her character like it did come Other M. She was sexualized, certainly, but at least there was a strong character there, and you had two seconds of fanservice versus how many ever hours of shooting, fighting, running, and blowing crap up. It gave the impression that while yes, Samus is used for fanservice, that wasn't all there was to Samus, or even that big of a piece of her. She was a bounty hunter first, attractive woman second.

Other M came along and swapped those priorities, so that Samus being a bounty hunter increasingly feels like just another reason to get her into skin-tight clothing. The image of Samus as space's female Batman, however right or wrong, was shattered, and we were left with a simpering doormat and a pile of boobs. Though Other M represents the far extreme of such a switch in priorities, I think it's important to keep in mind when discussing the backlash towards Smash 4. People don't want Samus the Bounty Hunter to be forgotten for the sake of Samus the Bodypillow, however right they are to think that way.

Sorry if that's jumbly, in the middle of something

• Thumbs Up 5

252119-ending_fusion_e4.jpgmfu-36.png

Ugh, Look at how much better Samus used to be. Look at how far she's fallen.

Disgraceful.

It's dumb, yeah, but at least that can be somewhat justified. She's relaxing after a mission, and the player's rewarded by seeing her spending her free time out in the city. It's dumb fanservice, but considering those screens are actually visible for about five seconds anyway, it can at least be easily ignored, and doesn't really clash with her character. In combat, her behavior is totally stoic and no-nonsense. We don't really know what she's like under more normal circumstances.

Heels are impractical, absolutely. But uh, from what I see, it just shows that she's skilled enough to kick ass while wearing high heels. That's not really sexist I guess, just a trait to make her look more asskicking.

i mean raiden has heels and no one complained or did they

hell while we're at it let's just toss her out in a bikini those should be hard to fight in right what an asskicker

hell while we're at it let's just toss her out in a bikini those should be hard to fight in right what an asskicker

you can't stab people with a bikini

heels though, they hurt a bit. 

you can't stab people with a bikini

heels though, they hurt a bit.

So does breaking your ankle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why such a focus on how much skin is shown? It's not like having some exposed skin is somehow significantly more lewd than a skintight suit. The zero suit really isn't hiding anything that's not visible when she's in her casual wear.

And, I mean, is it fanservice? Yes, no doubt. And that's not a great thing. But at least they're not trying to pass it off as what she wears into battle.

Except she doesn't wear the zero suit into battle? The only time we actually play as her in the Zero Suit is Smash bros and Zero Mission. And in Zero Mission, it's because her suit malfunctioned and she had to visit a ruin to recover it.

It's dumb, yeah, but at least that can be somewhat justified. She's relaxing after a mission, and the player's rewarded by seeing her spending her free time out in the city. It's dumb fanservice, but considering those screens are actually visible for about five seconds anyway, it can at least be easily ignored, and doesn't really clash with her character. In combat, her behavior is totally stoic and no-nonsense. We don't really know what she's like under more normal circumstances.

What does the context matter? We've had 100% endings with the current Zero Suit more than we have the classic one. The point isn't in the context, the point is in the fact it exists.

So does breaking your ankle.

Samus managed to exterminate an entire species and destroy two planets.

As a guy, yes, heels are goddamn hard to use, but I'd like to think that it isn't Samus's first time using heels. 

What does the context matter? We've had 100% endings with the current Zero Suit more than we have the classic one. The point isn't in the context, the point is in the fact it exists.

What? Context absolutely matters. How could it not?

There's a difference between portraying a dude shirtless and in speedos at the beach versus in the middle of a war zone. The context in which she's wearing what she's wearing is one of the most important parts of this whole debate.

Like, I said, I like Nintendo Power's Depiction of the insuit outfit, its light and comfy, has no extra frills, and isnt fanserivicy, but something someone who is in a battle suit endlessly would wear, and still works outside the suit(even if she would proably have an exterior pair of light shoes, or the inner part of the armor's shoes)

Except she doesn't wear either into battle. If the design had not changed with Prime, I guarantee ZSS in Brawl and Smash 4 would be the same ZSS in Metroid II-Fusion.

Like I said, there's more 100% endings with her current zero suit than there are her old one. It doesn't matter that those clothes only exist in the endings, they still exist.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but one thing that's worth keeping in mind about the Zero Suit is that it was originally intended to be something practical that Samus could logically wear underneath the Power Suit.  Its form fitting nature was a fan servicey but logical consequence of that, but it literally does not make any kind of sense for the Zero Suit to have high heels attached to it, like it did in Other M.

Technically speaking, the Smash 4 heels are slightly better than the Other M heels, by virtue of the fact that they're clearly not part of the Zero Suit itself.  They're still stupid though, just not as stupid.

And, in regards to the people saying that Samus shouldn't need any kind of jet boots anyway, well, that's not exactly true.  While I agree that Samus is phenomenally good at jumping and wall jumping, that's pretty much where her agility ends.  She's amazing when she has terrain to work with, but she needs the Power Suit or some other form of augmentation to be able to do anything special in midair, Smash's universal double jump being an obvious exception.  Smash 4's giving her at least one move that would explicitly require some kind of device for her to perform, so the idea of giving her something to justify that is reasonable.

Samus managed to exterminate an entire species and destroy two planets.

As a guy, yes, heels are goddamn hard to use, but I'd like to think that it isn't Samus's first time using heels. 

Then you'd think she'd be smart enough to wear something that isn't needlessly impractical when she's jumping into a fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Then you'd think she'd be smart enough to wear something that isn't needlessly impractical when she's jumping into a fight.

Or maybe she's smart enough to know how to use it properly? 

Or maybe she's smart enough to know how to use it properly?

Why handicap herself to begin with? What sense does that make?

How is it a handicap? They don't show it as such. In real life, yes, it would be a handicap, but in this case Samus can use the heels as an utility, manouvering and such. Aren't they rocket heels?

They can be dangerous too. Skarlet's X-Ray move from MK9 has her literally stab the opponent with her heels. Nasty. Completely different videogame series, but point still stands, just because the heels are impractical for a human in real life doesn't mean it's impractical for a videogame girl that is way more advanced than a human ever will be.

How is it a handicap? They don't show it as such. In real life, yes, it would be a handicap, but in this case Samus can use the heels as an utility, manouvering and such. Aren't they rocket heels?

They can be dangerous too. Skarlet's X-Ray move from MK9 has her literally stab the opponent with her heels. Nasty. Completely different videogame series, but point still stands, just because the heels are impractical for a human in real life doesn't mean it's impractical for a videogame girl that is way more advanced than a human ever will be.

Wow! If she's that good with high heels imagine how much better she'd be with combat boots! Considering those are actually specifically built for that kind of thing, I'm sure she'd be even more superhuman than she already is. Crazy.

Wow! If she's that good with high heels imagine how much better she'd be with combat boots! Considering those are actually specifically built for that kind of thing, I'm sure she'd be even more superhuman than she already is. Crazy.

Such a shame she doesn't use combat boots right?

It doesn't, but then again this is a series where a 13 year old kid can pick up and toss a 400lb gorilla at speeds close to 50,000 MPH. Trying to make sense of Smash Bros is fruitless because real world logic doesn't even go into consideration when they're making a character. I mean, it's okay to not like the design, but it not making sense shouldn't be one of the reasons why you dislike it. Not in this series, at least.

• Thumbs Up 4

Such a shame the only time she used heels was in Other M and no other.

It doesn't, but then again this is a series where a 13 year old kid can pick up and toss a 400lb gorilla at speeds close to 50,000 MPH. Trying to make sense of Smash Bros is fruitless because real world logic doesn't even go into consideration when they're making a character. I mean, it's okay to not like the design, but it not making sense shouldn't be one of the reasons why you dislike it. Not in this series, at least.

It doesn't make sense for the character. The situation is another thing because all our favorite Nintendo stars getting together is ridiculous, but Samus' character making sense to what we know of her already is different.

Except she doesn't wear the zero suit into battle? The only time we actually play as her in the Zero Suit is Smash bros and Zero Mission. And in Zero Mission, it's because her suit malfunctioned and she had to visit a ruin to recover it.

It still serves a purpose to her by keeping her bare skin protected from elements in cases where something like that happens. She doesn't wear it to battle but it has more functionality than the bikini did. She dresses more casually when out of these dangerous situations.

Yes?

It doesn't, but then again this is a series where a 13 year old kid can pick up and toss a 400lb gorilla at speeds close to 50,000 MPH. Trying to make sense of Smash Bros is fruitless because real world logic doesn't even go into consideration when they're making a character. I mean, it's okay to not like the design, but it not making sense shouldn't be one of the reasons why you dislike it. Not in this series, at least.

The issue with them not being practical at all is that it sheds light on the fact that the literal sole reason for their existence is to make her more feminine. 

The issue with them not being practical at all is that it sheds light on the fact that the literal sole reason for their existence is to make her more feminine.

I doubt that was the ONLY reason they decided to give her heels. They probably just thought they looked cool and went with it without really thinking about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt that was the ONLY reason they decided to give her heels. They probably just thought they looked cool and went with it without really thinking about it.

Sakamoto's mindset when working on other M was not making things cool. He wanted and I quote, 

'In this game, I want to depict the emotions of a woman called Samus'. The way we were working previously, it would have been impossible for us to depict a woman's world.

His whole thought process was based around Samus as a woman instead of just a character. And Smash's ZSS is just an attempt to justify the existence of those bloody things while giving her a buff.