Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

Man, Nintendo really doesn't want people enjoying Metroid, huh?

Nintendo more or less completely ignores fans of one of its upper-second-tier series' for a decade, and expects that Federation Force will somehow fill the gaping void of its absence in fans' hearts until they get their act together and release a proper new Metroid game in, I don't know, another decade.

I mean come on, would it really kill them to do to Metroid 2 what was done to the original Metroid in Zero Mission? Do they not have the manpower?

Classic Nintendo of Japan mentality here: they're just thinking about the honor of the company before everything else without realizing the rake they walked onto by doing this.

Eh, at the end of the day though, it's not a big deal: the game will probably be real common on torrent soon enough for everyone to enjoy.

Surely nobody can be surprised by the Cease & Desist?  The whole project is a naked copyright violation that not only undercuts Nintendo's sales of the original Metroid II but also those of any potential Metroid II remake they might themselves make in the future.  These are classic grounds for a C&D, especially with the inadvisable publicity given to the project putting it in direct competition with the actual legal owners of the property.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah I really can't blame Nintendo for going after this. It sucks for us players, it sucks for the people who made it, but by my (admittedly limited) understanding of copyright law Nintendo is justified in doing this and, in spite of what negative press it might get them, it is probably the right decision from a business perspective too.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Marcello said:

Man, Nintendo really doesn't want people enjoying Metroid, huh?

A dmca take down, not a cease and desist. Weird, but there's also this post on Metroid Database. The notice may or may not be real.

I don't want to count this as real until it's completely confirmed.

The takedown notices are real.

UPDATE 08/08/2016 9.28pm: Metroid Database has confirmed that the takedown notice is indeed from Nintendo, so the site will no longer host the fab fan remake.

"The attorney has gotten back in touch with us and it appears the notice is indeed legitimate," Metroid Database said on Twitter. "We have no further comments."

To refresh your memory, Metroid Database previously said "If it's real, yes it's going to remain taken down. You'll have to use torrents/other sources instead."

xi2YWfh.png

Not only the downloads page got taken down, the most recent post that talked about the release got deleted as well. Earlier today the MediaFire and the other mirror's links were taken down too.

I'd say it's pretty darn real at this point. Understandable from a copyright standpoint, but... I honestly can't help myself for getting angry at Nintendo for all this, especially after completing this fangame earlier today and being thrilled for it from start to finish. I suppose that's how the Metroid fans feel about this huge drought of waiting for yet another entry to the Metroid series... Pretty much just disappointed overall, to say the least.

Maybe if the game was it's own thing rather than a remake of an official game it would've gone different, dunno. Makes me think how sad Metroid II never got officially remade in the first place, as going by the remake the game seems to fill in a noticeable gap in the story. Especially about the Metroids.

11 hours ago, Estinienskaven said:

Classic Nintendo of Japan mentality here: they're just thinking about the honor of the company before everything else without realizing the rake they walked onto by doing this.

Eh, at the end of the day though, it's not a big deal: the game will probably be real common on torrent soon enough for everyone to enjoy.

Actually, this was all NoA's decision and doing, same with the removal of all Nintendo Power scan archives on archive.org and RetroMag. 

You smell that? It smells like NoA's brewing up more bullshit again. Fuck Reggie and fuck NoA.

7 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

Actually, this was all NoA's decision and doing, same with the removal of all Nintendo Power scan archives on archive.org and RetroMag. 

You smell that? It smells like NoA's brewing up more bullshit again. Fuck Reggie and fuck NoA.

Tends to be NOJ rather than NOA, they keep the latter on a tight leash

So how come projects like Super Smash Flash 2 haven't been taken down then? It uses sounds, music, levels and characters from the Nintendo/smash bro's universe.

The thing even appears at gaming conventions. Is definitely not under Nintendo's radar.

feels rather unfairly selective of Nintendo. Especially when they only now after years decide to file a C&D.

Just beat AM2R

Spoiler

wczfP6a.png

My time can't have been great since the artwork after this had Samus fully armored :-/

It was great. It made Metroid 2, a really not particularly great game, amazing. I'm really happy this released. I've been hoping for a M2 remake since I completed Zero Mission 12 years ago and when I first discovered AM2R, I was happy, but assumed it would never be completed. And now, here we are years late and it's here.

Now get on to making Metroid Dread, Nintendo :U

I heard around Reddit that you need a time of 2 hours or less to get one of the alternate illustrations. It goes in tandem with Zero Mission's 2 hour mark too, so I guess it's believable.

10 hours ago, KHCast said:

So how come projects like Super Smash Flash 2 haven't been taken down then? It uses sounds, music, levels and characters from the Nintendo/smash bro's universe.

The thing even appears at gaming conventions. Is definitely not under Nintendo's radar.

feels rather unfairly selective of Nintendo. Especially when they only now after years decide to file a C&D.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has something to do with other 3rd party characters being in there and unlike metroid 2 remake its kind of its own game but thats just a theory, a game theo-*shot*. But seriously though, thats about the only reason I can think of since I guess taking down a game with other characters outside of your own companies jurisdiction would be hard unless you got the other parties involved.

SSF2 falls under parody protection, whereas this is a remake of actual Nintendo materials, of a currently sold Nintendo game,

SSF2 is a parody? Also it uses sound effects and voice clips and music from Melee and Brawl. I'd assume there's still be legal trouble with using things like that( as well as copying movesets for characters from their official versions) without asking. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My guess is that Super Smash Flash 2 technically does the Copyright Deadlock trick Jim Sterling does. It's got Nintendo stuff in it, yes, but Nintendo would also have to fight Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Namco, SEGA, and even Toei Animation for "ownership" of the product.

Does AMR2 do anything substantially different from the original, or is it a shot for shot graphical and technical upgrade from Metroid II?

• Thumbs Up 3

First off, its been DCMA'd not C&D, 2 different things.

Second, who gives a flying monkeys ass what Nintendo does at this point. its futile, it got taken down on Metroid Database but go to 4chan's /v/ and you'll literally find 100 download links to the game. what bothers me is that somehow the DCMA made people stop talking about it all of a sudden, and that really sucks because this game deserves more attention then whatever the hell Nintendo is churning out.

Third, bugfixes are coming. hopefully that means the ports are being worked on too:
https://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-future-of-am2r.html

• Thumbs Up 2

Really glad to hear that future updates will still be happening. I'm sure releasing the game won't be a problem. It just needs to be "leaked" on 4chan or other out-of-the-way venues and it'll spread from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Really glad to hear that future updates will still be happening. I'm sure releasing the game won't be a problem. It just needs to be "leaked" on 4chan or other out-of-the-way venues and it'll spread from there.

My thoughts exactly, /v/ loves this guy right now and we'll share links like crazy to have people playing this game and as we've seen before 4chan cannot be touched by DCMAs and anything of the sort.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/2016/09/no-future-for-am2r.html?m=1

And there it is, the Cease and Desist.

And meanwhile, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1272682

Federation Force sold horribly on its first week in Japan. Even for Metroid's standards.

You know, as much as I feel sorry for Next Level Games and Tanabe for getting in the crossfire of all this, I can't help but feel positively vindicated.

The games fine, it has a few bugs here and there but nothing gamebreaking. by all means its a finished product I just want the soundtrack at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

You know, as much as I feel sorry for Next Level Games and Tanabe for getting in the crossfire of all this, I can't help but feel positively vindicated.

About what exactly? The controversial spin-off of a franchise that wasn't even big in Japan not selling hot in Japan? The outcome that practically everyone was predicting?

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

About what exactly? The controversial spin-off of a franchise that wasn't even big in Japan not selling hot in Japan? The outcome that practically everyone was predicting?

Yes. That this is doing catastrophically terrible even in relation to how poorly Metroid does in Japan, I find morbidly satisfying. I don't care if everyone saw this coming, I want Nintendo to see this, because clearly they didn't see this coming.