Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

5 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Yes. That this is doing catastrophically terrible even in relation to how poorly Metroid does in Japan.

As was to be expected what with it being a spin-off which by default was gonna sell less than the real deal averagely does. 

Also,  you'll want to wait until you see Nintendo's sales expectations, in case  you end up needing to save face and obtain a genuine vindication by those standards you've presented.  

Just now, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

As was to be expected what with it being a spin-off which by default was gonna sell less than the real deal averagely does. 

Except even Metroid Prime Hunters has sold more than 30,000 units in its first week.

Just now, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Also,  you'll want to wait until you see Nintendo's sales expectations, in case  you end up needing to save face and obtain a genuine vindication by those standards you've presented.  

Oh, but of course. Then again I'm also expecting them to take from this that the reason that it failed due to a lack of interest in Metroid, because Nintendo.

Federation Force has flopped in the UK charts as well

Coincidentally I was in GAME earlier today and spoke to one of the staff about the game, he said that they didn't even know it had come out on Friday and only had a few copies in store (which weren't even on the shelf!)

So yeah, if the future of the Metroid franchise is riding on the sales of this game, it ain't looking good.

Federation Force might have sold better, had it been preceded by a more traditional Metroid romp, as Zelda: Triforce Heroes was with A Link Between Worlds. However, since Nintendo Japan calls all the shots -- why can't Nintendo of America just take the reins? -- and since Metroid hasn't been big in Japan since the first Prime, it doesn't look like the series is going to get the respect or quality new releases it deserves.

That said, neither Pinball nor Hunters killed the series, and I doubt Federation will either. It's just probably going to be another 5 years until we see a proper new Metroid game, and we'll neither see nor hear anything about it until at least E3 2020.

• Thumbs Up 3

Bearing in mind that this game apparently began life as a DSiWare project, I'm starting to get a better idea of its peculiar tragedy.  Put simply, I don't think this game as a 3DS project was originally conceived as being a big deal retail title, and I think it would probably have been better if it wasn't a big deal retail title.  (If nothing else, its spin-off status would have been more readily apparent.)  If the probable decision that it should be pumped up into a full retail title was handed down from on high, I think the recent 3DS Direct explains why: Nintendo is in full filler mode with the 3DS, planning quite a few minor and inadequate-looking titles for the non-RPG fans to keep the 3DS ticking over into next year.  Federation Force was a victim of that drive to get more retail titles out in the present non-RPG lull period.  But it was the wrong game, at the wrong time, in the wrong format.

I really hope Nintendo has a traditional Metroid title lined up for the NX.  It's what the series needs right now - not gimmicks, but a good solid reminder of what Metroid is really all about.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, all the interviews point to a vision for the next Metroid game, and FF being released means Nintendo sees the demand for Metroid in the west at least. Honestly I feel like a Metroid game in the first 2 years of NX is possible.

Personally plan to get FF when I have the time to play it, albeit likely solo.

36 minutes ago, Patticus said:

That said, neither Pinball nor Hunters killed the series, and I doubt Federation will either. It's just probably going to be another 5 years until we see a proper new Metroid game, and we'll neither see nor hear anything about it until at least E3 2020.

Pinball was released one year after Prime 2: Echoes. Hunters was released one year before Prime 3: Corruption (which, depending on the region, was announced not too long after or well before Hunter's release). They have their fair share of critics from both reviewers and fans, but they generally don't have any huge animosity aimed towards them.

Federation Force has no such benefit. The last Metroid title was six years ago, and that was the notorious Other M of all titles.

I really wouldn't treat Nintendo's treatment of their non-A tier IPs lightly. Star Fox took an entire decade to get an original new game after Command (and even then, Zero only continued the trend of divisive Star Fox titles rather than bring the series back to form; which doesn't paint a pretty picture for that IP). And while Star Fox was lucky enough to get a 3DS remake of 64; F-Zero's still waiting on any remakes, let alone any new projects whatsoever.

Nor would I dismiss the damages spinoffs can cause. Nintendo and Skip outright stated that Zip Lash would make or break the Chibi Robo IP, even though it's a 2D sidescrolling spinoff that has little to do with the housekeeping aspect of the original two games (and surprise surprise, that title sold poorly). And while not / no longer a Nintendo example, Rare's Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts strikes me as the most egregious case of a spinoff (initially intended to be a true third installment) outright killing a series (and thanks to an extra dose of meddling on MS's behalf, it also arguably led to the death of all existing Rare IPs too. It's rather telling we've got only one IP resuscitated ever since then --Killer Instinct-- and that's being done by another studio).

• Thumbs Up 2

Off-topic, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with some math with the original Metroid II. I know you can kill the Queen with five bombs, but how many energy tanks are needed at the minimum to survive her without the Varia?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well well. It looks like I'll be bumping a Metroid general thread after all. I was hoping to find one of these.

Anyway, I was wanting to ask what everyone's speculation was on Metroid Prime 4 is. Me personally. I think Prime 4 will be one of two things. The fourth installment to the Prime series or a Prime-like game with faithful elements to how the original Primes worked. With some obvious tweaking of course. Though not much can be put out there yet till we get gameplay footage.

Also, do you think Prime 4's plot will continue off of either MP3's ending, Federation Force's ending, or from both?

On 9/2/2016 at 8:30 PM, shdowhunt60 said:

Oh, but of course. Then again I'm also expecting them to take from this that the reason that it failed due to a lack of interest in Metroid, because Nintendo.

Thank goodness,  if anything,  the opposite of that occurred,  given current standings! :D