Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

Well, I probably wouldn't have felt as bad about killing Gandrayda if the library hadn't told me that she's got the mental state of an adolescent. Fridge horror, and all that.

I would totally understand if the next game after Prime 3 had Samus being a little more hesitant than usual, since she was essentially forced to mercy-kill three people she clearly respected professionally, and possibly even saw as friends.

That's one aspect of Samus' character that I think would fit her perfectly and deserves to be explored. She's constantly been surrounded by death, whether it be family or fellow fighters, and spends most of her time alone. Then, in MP3, she FINALLY meets some people who can be considered friends, and she has to kill them. I imagine that kinda thing would take a toll on a person.

I think it would be great if the game following MP3 would show her as being cold, professional, and hesitant to make friends. Not because it would make her more "badass," but because she doesn't want to let herself care about anyone, since they'll probably just get blown up.

Throughout her life, she's lost her parents, the Chozo, teammates, the Hunters, and Adam. That track record would be a justified reason for her to be kind of a loner in her later years.

Is it bad if I say that I actually felt bad when you had to kill Rundas in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption?

Like, he saved your arse mroe than once, and seeing him corrupted... It made me sad, Rundas shouldn't have died.

The music doesn't help:

• Thumbs Up 5

Rundas as a battle was far too easy, but it was tragic. His theme also seemed to be a remix of Phendrana Drifts.

Imo Samus not talking in Prime 3 when every other character did was kind of awkward. We don't need Other M bullshit, but I think the time of Samus being a silent protagonist with no personality is clearly over. I would be kind of disappointed if they went back to a blank slate now, as the potential for character is clearly there, it has been the entire series, Other M just fucked it up is all.

Edited by Semi-colon e

It's not even like Other M was the first time Samus talked. She talked in Super Metroid, she talked in Zero Mission, she talked in Fusion to another person. Other M didn't break Samus's series-long silence, it just let her voice actor say words for the first time.

I've always thought an interesting development with a silent protagnist would be to have the revelation that they really are a mute. But for Samus that ship has sailed. She's been talking for eighteen years, so there's no reason not to let her participate in cutscenes anymore.

Admiral Dane: "Is that understood, Samus?"

Samus: "Yes, sir."

See? That wasn't so hard. Also note that nobody complained when Samus was taking orders from Admiral Dane, who unlike Adam understood perfectly well that the best way to utilise Samus Aran is to give her a goal and complete autonomy in how she proceed. Nobody who played Metroid Prime 3 would ever imagine a scenario where Admiral Dane told Samus NOT to use any of her suit upgrades.

Her inner monologues should still remain entirely silent and abscent, though. Part of the charm of the series is letting the player immerse themself in Samus's character, and there's gotta be room for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Samus has a personality, just because she's silent doesn't mean she doesn't. Go to 7:54

Edited by VisionaryBlur

since we all LOVE talking about the Brillaint Master Piece of Bizarro World Gaming History that is Other M...

I was browsng Around the Game Grumps subreddit and found a Post of Egoraptor, explaining why he liked Other M, and he makes an Interesting Point

I like Other M because it's a solid game. It's really solid and really fun and it flows incredibly. It COMPLETELY kills the feel of Metroid which is uncool, but if it were not a Metroid game is would be really awesome. Also the cutscenes are abysmal so I'm not arguing with anyone there.

Other M is interesting to me because it occurred to me that its gameplay is almost completely analogous to a 2D action platformer. If the cutscenes were killed and they replaced Samus with Mega Man and brightened up the world, this game would be the 3D Mega Man that Capcom deserves.

so the big what if here is, Would Other M really be a much better game if it wasn't Metroid?

I would say yes, at least as far as the whole Characterisation buisness would go. I mean for all we know the not_Samus was always a Monotone Boring Bitch, and this might be the first time she saw not_Ridley again in a long time.

Sure, the Gameplay would be still be "Average", and the Story would still be crap, but you could Probably consider it much more Passable if it hadn't the Sticker of a Big Name Franchise like Metroid.

Not really. Shitting on the Metroid series makes it worse, but it'd still be pretty terrible regardless.

• Thumbs Up 2

The game is mediocre on it's own. Some foundations within it's game play could have been great if Team Ninja handled the controls more properly. There are shreds of a decent arcade title here to be found but much like Yahtzee's review of the game mentions, the end result is that the game play is infinitely better in that it's merely bad.

Naming it Metroid is that one small decision that turns a bad game into an offensive one.

• Thumbs Up 3

If it were a different franchise, or a completely new one, it would still be just okay. I definitely wouldn't hate it with every fiber of my being if it wasn't a follow-up to one of the best franchises ever.

The boss battles were the only parts of the game where I can say I was legitimately enjoying myself. They weren't all very creative, but they are where I can kinda see what they were going for in terms of action. Everything else was very dull, and I doubt I would like it that much even if it wasn't a Metroid title.

As a standalone game it would have probably been just a modest, obscure, average action title that wouldn't have had those high dollar cutscenes and probably would have just passed by quietly without much notice, or it may have been advertized as a new game and sold a bit better. What if Adam didn't authorize powerups? What if Samus was attacked by something that disabled her powerups in the beginning of the game and Adam was in the control room working on getting them back up and working for her? It may have at least made both Adam and Samus seem more competent.

On a sidenote, I just found my long lost copies of Prime Pinball and First Hunt, the tech demo that came with the DS Phat at its launch. I had forgotten how frustrating Prime Pinball can be and I question how I ever managed to beat Impact Crater on it!

Question, or rather a little help..

Been playing Metroid 2 from the 3DS E-shop (one of the few I haven't played) for about a week I've been lost, I have 35 Metroids left to exterminate and don't know where to go after getting the morphball bombs, it's bloody hard to tell whats destructible.

Question, or rather a little help..

Been playing Metroid 2 from the 3DS E-shop (one of the few I haven't played) for about a week I've been lost, I have 35 Metroids left to exterminate and don't know where to go after getting the morphball bombs, it's bloody hard to tell whats destructible.

If there's been an earthquake, go back out the main area and you'll notice that the lava has lowered its level and you can go farther in now. In the next area you should be able to find the spider ball and and like 2 energy tanks as well as the wave beam that should help you identify which walls area breakable, don't forget to check for missile tanks as well. I was lost in the 2nd area too though so you may need an online guide, maybe a Youtube video.

Edited by Prince Solaris

Thanks and yeah, thanks to a guide, I found the well-hidden wall above the turret thing :| would have never noticed that ever but I knew it had some purpose, got the spiderball, not the wavebeam yet but I'll try tomorow after college!

Damnit, I wish Nintendo did a coloured DX version like Links Awakening.

Damnit, I wish Nintendo did a coloured DX version like Links Awakening.

Aye, because they were making one, right? I presume the DX version would've had a map too, which was the big problem for me. I know that quite a few people complained that they didn't finish the DX version to release on the eShop, and certainly that would've been welcome.

Edited by FFWF

I know where you can play a colored version and it's technically not emulation but I don't know whether linking here is permited

I think you guys are confused with Metroid: Other N.

Also, something I don't get from Fusion, where the fuck did the original Yakuza and Nettori come from? They're obviously infected by X but why were them in such special places?

Oh, he's talking about the ending to the original Metroid. Remember, "beware the other Metroid", referencing the existence of an entire Metroid hive on SR388. It sure was clever of them to have a sequel hook at the end of the very first game.

• Thumbs Up 3