Awoo.

Metroid Topic

Old dead account

Samus only cared about the one baby Metroid that saw her as it's mother. Simple as that.

...which is why she immediatelly gave it up to the Federation so they could perform experiments on it? That's like giving your kid up for adoption to a shifty-eyed geezer in a lab coat with goggles on his head. Then again, if Samus get's her parental understanding from Adam that makes complete sense.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just got a new Wii since my old one was busted.

Gives me a reason to play through the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy again.

What a marvellous day.

I fucking love these games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Strictly in terms of game design, the SA-X is my favorite game antagonist of all time. Her motivation, abilities and appearance are all built perfectly around the game's mechanics and progression. While the way Samus always loses her powers with each game can get tedious after a while, the SA-X is the best and most effective use of that trope to date. Not only has Samus lost her powers from Super Metroid, but those powers have gained a will of their own and are trying to hunt her down. You've gotten a taste of what Samus' fully powered suit's potential is, so the fact that it has turned on you gives you an extremely effective understanding of the threat you're up against. Granted, Fusion was the first Metroid game I ever played so I didn't really get that full perspective, but even then you get a good glimpse of her abilities when the SA-X first appears by blowing a massive whole in the wall and screw attacking over the elevator like it's nothing.

What's more, the SA-X has a great buildup; you don't simply hear about her once and know she's going to be the final boss- she's tracking you down and you cross paths several times, and when that happens... well, my heart just races. It's made clear that you're not ready to face her not only by your AI companion but by the fact when she catches you, she's a powerhouse that can easily kill you in a handful of hits, so when the time comes you ARE actually ready to kick her ass, it's all the more satisfying and if that weren't enough, you actually get to CONSUME this creature and take your power back just in time for the final boss fight.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 5

I've decided to watch every cutscene in Other M. This is my first time watching all the cutscenes and already I hate Samus voice.

There should be a drinking game about how many times she says "The Baby".

Edited by Vampfox

Just got a new Wii since my old one was busted.

Gives me a reason to play through the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy again.

What a marvellous day.

I fucking love these games.

You've inspired me to do the same. Started a fresh save on Trilogy and played up to getting the Varia suit this morning.

I'm just amazed at the level of detail. I spent half the time stopping up to scan everything I could in each room, all the plants, all the harmless and harmful indigenous life-forms, the lore, and so damn much flavour text. I don't think any developer does world building like Retro Studios.

EDIT: Godspeed Vampfox. As painful as the baby talk is, if that was the worst of it I could accept Other M. You're in for a real special ride, my friend.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

Ok I'm up to the part where the stupid Deleater sub-plot is first mention and already the story is bugging me. I don't get the purpose of this sub-plot. It doesn't add anything to the story.

Graphic wise the game looks nice but I prefer the art style and character designs of the Prime games.

Edit: I'm watching the Ridley cutscene now and it's even worse seeing it in context.

Edited by Vampfox

I've decided to watch every cutscene in Other M. This is my first time watching all the cutscenes and already I hate Samus voice.

What gets me the most is that they were using Jennifer Hale for the Prime trilogy. A.K.A, one of the most widely-used, talented actresses in all of voice acting. For those who don't know the name, you sure as hell know Fem Shep. I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes or if Team Ninja was even able to use her, but the fact that they had Hale and switched her out for this emotionless robot just...it just...ffffffffffffffffff. It's like replacing Christian Bale with Robert Pattinson.

• Thumbs Up 4

What gets me the most is that they were using Jennifer Hale for the Prime trilogy. A.K.A, one of the most widely-used, talented actresses in all of voice acting. For those who don't know the name, you sure as hell know Fem Shep. I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes or if Team Ninja was even able to use her, but the fact that they had Hale and switched her out for this emotionless robot just...it just...ffffffffffffffffff. It's like replacing Christian Bale with Robert Pattinson.

I actually heard they did that because they didn't want too many similarities to Fem Shep, and that her actress looked like a real life Samus.

Well, if she looks like her, she must sound like her tongue.png

Also, it's not like it's the actress's fault that she sounded so emotionless. The voice itself fit.

Edited by MarcelloF

That is a fair point. When Samus is speaking aloud she sounds fairly normal and a decent voice for the character. It's just the zombie drone monologues that are so incredibly painful. But Jennifer Hale could do zombie drone and do it better. I've heard the cut content from Metroid Prime where Jennifer Hale narrates the opening in an emotionless monologue.

EDIT: Here we go:

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

Have to admit, that isn't half-bad. I can understand if the emotionless lines are meant to be part of Samus's character (Though personally I never imagined that when I was reading her lines from past 2D games), but i still think Hale is better with that. Comparing those two videos above me, I hear a noticeable difference. It's like Martin is simply reading off the script while Hale is trying to sound droll on purpose, if that makes sense.

It's like Martin is simply reading off the script while Hale is trying to sound droll on purpose, if that makes sense.

That may be because (and I'm going from memory on this) Sakamoto did the English voice directing as well. He specifically wanted that vocal style.

EDIT: Ohhhh but if you meant the OOC Martin video with Hale's thing then I can't blame you.

Edited by Soma

So how did Adam know that the Metroids were unfreezable?

Apparently there was some top-secret research that he suspected all along but didn't feel like taking any steps to warn his soldiers or prepare for. Here's a much bigger question:

How did Adam know he'd be able to freeze the Metroid that was about to kill Samus after he shot her in the back?

you guys are seriously tempting me to buy metroid prime 1 and 2 again, mainly 1 as I never finished it and I still own fusion...so with the Gamecube to Gameboy cable...

screen_metroidprimefusion.jpg

Loved those days when both Nintendo's main and handheld consoles had some interaction with each other.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's really sad that the Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance cable wasn't used more cause it really was a neat idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Having finished watching Other M's threater mode I have to say that the story had a lot of potential and better writers could have done so more with the story.

I don't really like Samus in this game. I don't like how she seemed obsessed with Adam. It was one sided and creepy.

As for Adam he's completely unlikable.

The only characters that I liked in this game were Anthony and MB.

Since you watched the entire theater I'm curious if you figured out the murder mystery part of the plot. I actually liked the Deleter sub-plot, so I'm sorry it got abandoned before it get resolved so the plot could instead focus on Samus and Adam's relationship.

Since you watched the entire theater I'm curious if you figured out the murder mystery part of the plot. I actually liked the Deleter sub-plot, so I'm sorry it got abandoned before it get resolved so the plot could instead focus on Samus and Adam's relationship.

-SPOILERS-

What did the Deleter (*snrk*) subplot bring to the table anyways? It just was kind of like "WHAT IF THE DELETER IS ADAM/ANTHONY??" before almost immediately going "nope, it was that guy."

I mean, why have a "mysterious traitor" subplot just to have the traitor turn out to be someone we never cared about/met? The only reason I can think for it is to artificially insert tension into scenes that would already be tense in the hands of a good writer.

EDIT: I hope that doesn't just sound like a "you're stupid for liking X" post. Sorry, GOG. blush.png

Edited by Soma

@Grumpy Old Guy

The Deleter is clearly James.

As I said before the Deleter sub-plot is pointless. You could have had the soldiers get killed by the creatures on the Bottle Ship and it wouldn't have made a difference to the story.

The deleter couldn't have been Adam because he was in the control room the entire time when the murders started, Lyle and Maurice died while he was about, KG was killed in a random cutscene Samus doesn't even know about, and Anthony is, well, Anthony. James was found dead after trying to kill MB. I thought it was interesting I just hate how that subplot literally doesn't go anywhere.

Edited by Prince Solaris

The deleter couldn't have been Adam because he was in the control room the entire time when the murders started, Lyle and Maurice died while he was about, KG was killed in a random cutscene Samus doesn't even know about, and Anthony is, well, Anthony. James was found dead after trying to kill MB. I thought it was interesting I just hate how that subplot literally doesn't go anywhere.

But what would it add to anything?

Edited by Soma