Awoo.

Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 1&2 Original Soundtrack - Japan

Barry the Nomad

Didn't see a topic for this (unless it exists by some name that didn't appear when I searched for one).

Anyway, Sonic 4 Episodes 1&2 got a retail soundtrack in Japan.

Track list and price info:

http://www.wave-mast...wwce/wwce31279/

http://2ii.jp/O1nXQ6

wwce31279x1000.jpg

Seems to be a retail release, given I see it on some import sites. No idea what the booklet and back look like though. Has anybody picked this up? The bonus track seems to be a Splash Hill medley. Might be the one Jun always plays, or the one from 2012 Olympic Games.

Uh, Mark has it. He posted some really nice snaps of it in the latest collection addition thread. There's a page or part of the cover filled only with a speed booster and some Bubbles. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

For all the mocking the music gets, I really do like the presentation of the OST itself. Still can't decide if I want it just because the CD itself looks quite nice. Really like the use of the Sonic 4 assets on the cover and in the inlays.

As for the music... well... theres one or two tracks I might bung on me iTunes!

I don't think Sonic 4's soundtrack deserves to be sold in stores. All the songs are really short, very repetitive, and frankly it doesn't sound like real music at all. The original trilogy tried to push the Genesis to its limits, but this soundtrack is trying waaay to hard to be something its not.

Edited by Enderwoman
  • Thumbs Up 5

Don't import and waste money. if you want to get this soundtrack legally, get it on iTunes. It's there.

Don't import and waste money. if you want to get this soundtrack legally, get it on iTunes. It's there.

• Thumbs Up 4

Agreed. And yes yes, we all hate the soundtrack. But this isn't a thread to discuss the quality of the music. That has been done to death. It's to discuss the physical release. Does this deserve to be sold in Japanese stores? Hell yes it does. There are soundtrack collectors out there, and there is a special feeling when you buy a physical copy of something. I never buy on iTunes because I feel like I got nothing in return. The music I listen to can often be ripped from games or be hears on YouTube.

To be honest, a physical release actually legitimizes Sonic 4 for me. Like how a boxed copy of a digital title makes it feel a bit more legitimate. I have the Dreamcast Collection for that reason.

Anyway, here's Mark's post:

I really like how they tie together the episode assets, though shame Tails can't follow Sonic through Splash Hill. That full map in the booklet is really really cool.

So we now have Sonic 1&2, Sonic CD and Sonic 4 Eps 1&2 released to CD? Has Sonic 3 & Knuckles been given a CD release?

Edited by Barry the Nomad

I think S3&K is the only one of the Classic (or 'Modern-classic', as far as Sonic 4 goes) that doesn't... and in fact probably the only main-series title that hasn't.

Seems a bit weird seeing as how most people see it as the holy grail of Sonic games.

Sonic%2B%252526%2BKnuckles%2BSonic%2BThe%2BHedgehog%2B3%2Bfront.jpg

It's not a true OST though, it doesn't have the music exactly as it sounds in the game, it's someone elses attempts at playing them, but it is official and the tunes are very well done.

But that is the closest thing which is out there.

...Doesn't Sonic Spinball have an OST?

Sonic%2B%252526%2BKnuckles%2BSonic%2BThe%2BHedgehog%2B3%2Bfront.jpg

It's not a true OST though, it doesn't have the music exactly as it sounds in the game, it's someone elses attempts at playing them, but it is official and the tunes are very well done.

But that is the closest thing which is out there.

...Doesn't Sonic Spinball have an OST?

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Boom-The-Music-From-Sonic-CD-an.jpg

Had Spinball tracks on it apparently. Also had the Sonic CD US.

• Thumbs Up 1

I own the soundtrack and paid £20 for it including postage to the UK, so it's well priced for what you get. It's very minimal, but it's quite a nice package. I'm not terribly keen on the music, but it's grown on me a little.

The S3&K OST also only has music from S&K, so aside from Angel Island, there's been no official release of Sonic 3 music to the best of my knowledge. I would pay good money for an official OST as that would compliment the S1&2 OST released last year.

There is a Sonic Spinball soundtrack...in a way. There's a CD called Sonic Boom which was a preorder with Sonic 3 in the US and contained the US Sonic CD soundtrack and a few Sonic Spinball songs tacked on the end.

http://vgmdb.net/album/2292

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Boom-The-Music-From-Sonic-CD-an.jpg

Had Spinball tracks on it apparently. Also had the Sonic CD US.

Yes a great little album. It has very cool extended mixes of quite a few of the US Sonic CD tracks and also extended mixes of some of the Sonic Spinball tracks. You can listen to this on the Sonic Wrecks site if you so wish.

I also like collecting and owning a physical CD copy, depsite the fact that they seem to be going out of fashion. I recently purchased the 20th Anniversary OST of SA1 from cd japan. Sadly and disappointingly this only contains 30 tracks and there are actually about 69 tracks on the ablum as shown on Sonic Wrecks. The 20th Anniversary album still has some great tracks though.

As for the Sonic 4 album, dying cats and ducks aside, sorry not for me.

I would love a Sonic 3&K complete soundtrack but I won't hold my breath. Where is the love SEGA?

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Ok... and if I want the actual CD/retail copy?

Then import it. But unless you are a soundtrack collector, you'll be wasting money.

Glad you said that. There's a difference between owning something, and simply owning a download. To me, that feels no different to downloading something illegally. You can hardly add a bit of data to your collection now.

Are you a "Must collect everything" Sonic fan? If so, then I can understand. And no, there is a huge difference between purchasing a song from iTunes (or any other legal music site) and simply downloading it illegally. The only thing they share in similarity is that they are both digital.

Also do we still use CD players?

Agreed. And yes yes, we all hate the soundtrack. But this isn't a thread to discuss the quality of the music. That has been done to death. It's to discuss the physical release. Does this deserve to be sold in Japanese stores? Hell yes it does. There are soundtrack collectors out there, and there is a special feeling when you buy a physical copy of something. I never buy on iTunes because I feel like I got nothing in return. The music I listen to can often be ripped from games or be hears on YouTube.

To be honest, a physical release actually legitimizes Sonic 4 for me. Like how a boxed copy of a digital title makes it feel a bit more legitimate. I have the Dreamcast Collection for that reason.

This is stupid. This "physical copies are better because it shows I actually OWN it" argument is stupid. You own the digital copies you bought too. In fact I can download my owned copy a million times if I want to, and as long I downloaded my digital copy at least once to my devices it's there forever. Cannot be taken away from me.

I understand the soundtrack collectors wanting to purchase this, but it kinda annoys me that people degrade digital releases because "they feel that they don't own it". But stupidly, they do. Once downloaded, Sony, Apple or Amazon (or whatever you purchased it from) can't hack to your computer/device and remove it.

YouTube is different as you have to be always connected to the internet and have a device that can connect to YouTube to listen to it. Honestly. -.-

"You get nothing in return?"...I don't understand. You feel like you paid for it and you get nothing is that what you're saying? Like you go to a video game store, go to the till with the game, paid for it and the guy from the till doesn't give you the game?

Edited by Ming Ming Love

I respect people having personal tastes. If you love getting physical copies and you want nothing but physical copies, then really that's fine. That's not the problem. The problem is that people are degrading digital downloads and saying it's like they don't own it and it feels "illegal".

Maybe I should have explained what I was trying to say on my first post here. What I meant was "Don't waste more money on THE Sonic 4 soundtrack when there's iTunes." because, you know...Sonic 4's music is terrible. But I don't want to discuss about how terrible it is since this isn't the thread for that.

I guess the value of owning these soundtracks could go up, but they have to be in tip top shape, and probably sealed too (as in, it's never opened). Nice collection by the way, I guess that's one advantage of getting the physicals. Showing it off. =P

Yeah, I'm one of those who doesn't like clutter. I like my room more spacious. ^^;; Also I'm not very good on keeping CD cases in tip top shape. Games I can easily keep in tip top shape, but not CDs for some reason. O.o

Perhaps if you use the word "stupid" less, I'd be more inclined to have an actual discussion. As it stands I just see "your opinions are stupid". But pretty much what T-Bird said.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Sonic 4's soundtrack deserves to be sold in stores. All the songs are really short, very repetitive, and frankly it doesn't sound like real music at all. The original trilogy tried to push the Genesis to its limits, but this soundtrack is trying waaay to hard to be something its not.

I like the soundtrack more than most and think it's got some pretty good stuff in it, but I have to agree. The problem I have with the soundtrack far more than the instrumentation or anything else, is that even if you wanted to compare it to the originals and stay true to the Megadrive's "limits", the loops are still way too short. In 3D Blast Green Grove Act 2, the song goes on for over 4 whole minutes before it loops. Episode 2's boss music? 18 seconds. And Green Grove takes less time to clear than the bosses, too.

Most of the songs are just... unfinished.

Because I can, here are my soundtracks:

img1015q.jpg

That collection is boss and I'm super jealous and all... but why do you seem to have multiple copies of the exact same soundtrack?

Awww I really wanted them to put the music they used for the trailers (the remix all star song and the one used in the Episode Metal trailer) as bonus tracks but I knew that wasn't going to happen. Does anyone know that song in the Episode Metal trailer though?

I'll probably get the soundtrack later on happy.png

That collection is boss and I'm super jealous and all... but why do you seem to have multiple copies of the exact same soundtrack?

I pick stuff up as I see it - generally I freak out in Tokyo when I spot these things. A lot of the earlier doubles are genuines / bootlegs. I buy the bootlegs too because I'm bonkers =P.

T

Going off topic ever so slightly, but I feel like I have to point this out. I'm not sure how old some of you guys are on here and I understand that paying more for a physical CD compared to the MP3 may seem bizarre, but that's what we grew up with. I was too young to appreciate vinyl when it was big (up to the 80's), but the feeling of owning something *physical* is something that is special to me and it's a little sad that it's not as appreciated nowadays in a world of instant downloading and whatnot. Again, it's personal choice, but given the choice, it's physical media over instant MP3 all the way.

Also, the S4 CD OST has a bonus track that the iTunes version doesn't, so you can look at it another way.

T - I remember you taking that photo a while back! Have you not got any more CD's since? :)

• Thumbs Up 1